PDA

View Full Version : Amped 2 Trailer

XBOX MSSC
03-07-2003, 12:58 PM
Here you go kiddies. The 1st Online Snowboarding Game. All i can say is daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn :D

Amped 2 (http://www.operationsports.com/images/news/amped2/amped.wmv)

VeNoMiZA
03-07-2003, 01:31 PM
i definitely wont be buying this one :)

Kraft
03-07-2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by VeNoMiZA
i definitely wont be buying this one :)

Umm... that's nice. Unless you have an actual opinion to contribute with that it is pretty much spam, a la Burning style.

RudedogX
03-07-2003, 01:45 PM
I think I'll be checking this one out, but only after the reviews come in. So far, I've found that the best Live games out there are the squad based games. Who knows though, this and some of the other driving games coming out, might change my mind.

DZNUTZ
03-07-2003, 01:58 PM
from what i read...MM3 is going to have a team option.
so instead of one for all...the DD can run our opponents ff the road. :cool:

RudedogX
03-07-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by DZNUTZ

Oooooh! I'm in!:cool:

Dark Enemy
03-07-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by DZNUTZ

LOL im da best in MM3, eill find ur self floating in tthe water. I got amped the other day, and i have to say its an awesome game that can be played for ours. So the gamespot reviews is really pretty much bull****

Xbox Owner
03-07-2003, 02:09 PM
wont play for me..?

MerimacHamwich
03-07-2003, 02:42 PM
Sweeeeet.

Snowskating! Buttering the muffin! Better graphics! Online play! WOOHOO!
:)

carlbme
03-07-2003, 02:46 PM
Looks pretty sweet. If it plays anything like the first one I'll defiantly be picking it up. Although I'm interested to see how the Live part fits in with the game.

JimmieDoogan
03-07-2003, 04:00 PM
Looks awsome!!!! LIVE ENABLED!!!!! Woo!!! It looks awsome!

Viper87227
03-07-2003, 05:33 PM
how big is the trailer? i dont want to take 2 hours DLing on my 56k

shrew king
03-07-2003, 07:54 PM
Is there anywhere I can get a better version of it, Windows Media just gives me pictures instead of video.

wweomaniac
03-07-2003, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by VeNoMiZA
i definitely wont be buying this one :) me neither. I think SSX is way better.

The graphics aren't bad on ssx, bu they may not be as good as they are on amped, but the gameplay is ten million times better. Not even live can encourgae me to buy this title.

VenoM
03-07-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by wweomaniac
me neither. I think SSX is way better.

The graphics aren't bad on ssx, bu they may not be as good as they are on amped, but the gameplay is ten million times better. Not even live can encourgae me to buy this title.

i wouldnt compare ssx to amped...ssx is more arcadish and very fake if ya know what i mean...its more of a racing game on snowboards then a snowboarding game

MerimacHamwich
03-07-2003, 09:10 PM
Exactly. SSX is only a snowboarding game in the smallest way, in that they ride on snowboards some of the time.

Snowboarding isn't about racing or super competitions or anything. It is about freestyling/free riding and having fun with your friends. SSX has it tottally wrong, I hate SSX.

Xbox Owner
03-07-2003, 11:15 PM
We speak with members of the Amped 2 development team.

Microsoft announced today that Amped 2 is currently in development for the Xbox, and that it will add a host of new features to the series. Among these new features is Xbox Live support, including an online ranking system and head-to-head play so players from around the world can battle it out on the slopes. The development team has also made improvements to the series' trick system and the visual style for Amped 2, specifically in the animation and look of the characters. We had a chance to speak with Brennar Adams and Nate Larson of the Amped 2 development team at Microsoft Game Studios to get a better idea of what they have in store for this sequel.
GameSpot: When did the development team decide to start working on a sequel?

Microsoft Game Studios: It was about six months before we finished the original game. We've always anticipated doing a sequel. You know with game development there are always some things you can't get in the first version, so we always had plans for the next version. Actually, we started planning for Amped 2 six months into development of the original game, and we planned on the two-year release gap because we knew exactly what we wanted to change with the engine in order to take everything up an entire notch. In a way, we got rid of a bunch of stuff we had planned for Amped and made it a lot better.

GS: What were some of the things that didn't make it into the original game but will appear in Amped 2?

MGS: Well, more career depth is one of the things, as well as the quality of the characters on the artistic side, and the quality of the levels. The animation is also much better. The way the animation was done in the original Amped [didn't leave enough room for artistic control, so that has changed for Amped 2]. We also had things like sponsorship challenges and media challenges, but they were very shallow, so we planned on all these other levels of challenges, but with the scope we just weren't able to do it.

With Amped 2 we have three media challenges, so instead of just going down a course and performing a trick in front of a red icon, now we have specific still photographers placed on the mountain and you have perform a trick right in front of them that you can later view in a portfolio. Then there are sequence challenges, where you have to go through a series of six hoops while grinding a rail or while on a half-pipe to get all six shots, and then you can see that whole sequence later on--sequence shots are pretty popular in snowboarding magazines. There's also a demo reel option where you can go down the slope and ride as if you were filming a video.

Another big thing was the implementation of Xbox Live. We wanted to give Amped 2 a more worldwide feel. Obviously, the original Amped was unproven, so when we started we couldn't afford to go everywhere in the world we wanted to go, but Amped 2 includes a lot of those places, and Amped 3 will have even more. So Amped 2 is really about taking your fame worldwide, so you can go online and play against riders all over the world, whether it's in six- or eight-man team challenges or competing to own the mountain and trying to get your sponsor as the lead sponsor on that mountain. Or you can just compete in challenges to get your score up on the ladder, so that you can become a virtual superstar.

GS: How difficult was it to implement Xbox Live functionality?

MGS: It's not that difficult. Obviously, anything you haven't done before, there's going to be a learning curve. We have a couple of cool things in the works, but [we can't talk about them yet].

GS: As far as the new courses are concerned, how does the development team go about constructing them?
MGS: It's a really tough process. Someone has to go out and travel to all these resorts, ride top to bottom on every run, capture it on video, and take pictures [laughs]. We get digital terrain information and we use a digital model that's very similar to what we've used in other games, so we start with that and then our level builders use a combination of video and photos. A lot of work goes into re-creating the resorts. Today, one of the things we're doing is trying to get all the features of Bear Mountain while we're here--especially for the Vans Triple Crown.

We would like to have the Vans Triple Crown in the game, so we're taking pictures of where all the features and banners are placed so we can re-create it. Another thing we can do is get an aerial shot of the resort, so when we have our 3D terrain we can superimpose the aerial shot right on top of that to see that everything is placed correctly and that everything is to scale. We want to make it so that someone who has been to those resorts will recognize it in the game and that it will bring back memories of the fun they've had there. Even people who haven't been to these resorts will be able to play the game and get a good idea of the runs and where they are in the actual resort when they visit.

GS: What other sort of visual improvements are being made for Amped 2?

MGS: The 3D panoramas are a big thing--they make the world a lot bigger. We have bump-mapped characters, moving clouds that cast shadows on the terrain, and new particle effects. But, really, the characters look so much better with their facial animation--we spent a lot of time improving the look of the characters. All the features cast shadows on the terrain, which we couldn't really do in Amped because of engine limitations. We have a lot more animation in the environments--there are more people in the environment, as well as [different vehicles] driving around. We really tried to make it a living environment. There are also some cool specular effects on the chairlift and on the towers.

GS: Can you talk about some of the new things being implemented into the trick system?

MGS: Yeah, we've got a couple of new things, like the butter system, which is used to tie combo tricks together like in Tony Hawk's Pro Skater. There are also new lip tricks like hand plants and stalls, as well as a whole new family of tricks that we can't really talk about right now.

GS: Is the development team planning to use the same general control scheme?

MGS: We're going to be doing a couple of different control schemes. One of them will be the more traditional one, which I call the "Tony Hawk." So the player can select from three different control schemes, but we have all the grabs on the right stick now instead of on the buttons, because the buttons got a little confusing. You can also modify grabs with the triggers. One more cool thing in the default control scheme is that the balance is on the stick, so you can do various things while you're grinding rails. There are also some new discreet rail tricks. Basically, some of the pro snowboarders came in and said, "Look, you get on the rails and it just doesn't exactly look like that. You need to come up with a solution to make the tricks look more accurate." So we've put a lot of control back in the hands of the artists.

We are getting a lot of professional input. We have a pro in there on a weekly basis consulting with people so the game is accurately created as far as real-world snowboarding is concerned. We're not trying to say that it's a simulation, but it represents a hyperrealistic version of snowboarding. We're not trying to limit people so they can't do certain things.

GS: How far along is the game now?

MGS: We've been in development for about a year now. We're focusing on finishing up the levels. We have some cool things that we're doing in the levels, and we still have a lot of animation left, but I think our character work is pretty good. Just basically polishing up the game and wrapping up all the content.

GS: Thanks for your time.

MGS: We're going to be doing a couple of different control schemes. One of them will be the more traditional one, which I call the "Tony Hawk."

Thank God. I hated the contols on the first one.

Flood
03-07-2003, 11:23 PM
definetly looks good....i love the first one...minus some control issues....but amped 2 is gonna be killer in my eyes

MerimacHamwich
03-07-2003, 11:35 PM
Tony Hawk... I am now not so sure about this. I hope they keep thier own style and don't go for the Tony Hawk style game, man I hate those games.

xboxman_1
03-07-2003, 11:53 PM
Snowboarding isn't about racing or super competitions or anything.

Isnt that whats supposed to make SSX fun though, its over-the-top-ness??

RadRider
03-08-2003, 01:56 AM
***** Ass. I'm buying this.

l Maximus l
03-08-2003, 01:58 AM
I'm definately picking this up. I'm a die hard fan of the original Amped and I'm very interested in seeing how they are going to incorporate on-line play via XBL with Amped 2.

They need to implement a Chinese Downhill mode. Oh man, the DDC would own ;)

borka105
03-08-2003, 09:52 AM
This game will def. rock. The first one was a joy to play and after reading that article from gamespot, I can't wait for this one.

BTW, all thos bragging about how good they are in MM. You can't be bragging unless you played the first 2. And no one has logged in more hours online in MM1 + MM2 then me.....

-borka105

canadianboi3
03-08-2003, 11:09 AM
When this movie played, it would just show a whole ton of still pictures. Did it actually play for anybody? I will probably get this game. The original was sweet, and is way better than SSX Tricky.

The Jackal
03-08-2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by VenoM
i wouldnt compare ssx to amped...ssx is more arcadish and very fake if ya know what i mean...its more of a racing game on snowboards then a snowboarding game

no kiddin... its a completely different style game.... its like comparin NHL Hitz to a regular hockey game.... just cant...
anyways this game looks good but the thing i thought looked *** was those kickflips or whatever he was doin... but thats all

Liquid Gears
03-08-2003, 04:08 PM
Ok, how the is adding Kickflips to Amped make this game better than the first Amped. The idea to making the first Amped was to present amazing grafics & realism to the video gaming audience.

Who are the dumb f$%ks who thought of that brilliant idea. I don't know about you guys, but kickflips in a snowboarding game? Give me a break, how is that realistic? Obviously these creators don't know one damn thing about snowboarding. You see Snowboards have these things called "Bindings" that "Lock" you legs to your snowboard. Skateboarders don't have bindings. THIS IS A SNOWBOARDING GAME

I was looking forward to this game all year, but now after watching that video I don't care one bit for this game.

MerimacHamwich
03-08-2003, 05:16 PM
SNOWSKATING SNOWSKATING SNOWSKATING SNOWSKATING SNOWSKATING SNOWSKATING SNOWSKATING SNOWSKATING SNOWSKATING SNOWSKATING SNOWSKATING SNOWSKATING SNOWSKATING SNOWSKATING SNOWSKATING

There, maybe you wont ingore me anymore. As I said in my first post in this thread, they incorporated SnowSkating into the game. Snowskating is a sport enjoyed by more than half of the deticated snowboarding community. It is basically skateboarding on snow. In fact, I was just snowskating today. I did my first rail as well! I 50-50, frontside and backside boardlsid it. It was awesome fun. I am probably going to go tomorow again.

# 1 Stunner
03-09-2003, 09:42 PM
i got hooked on the first one and online should be awesome.

Shadow20002
03-09-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by shrew king
Is there anywhere I can get a better version of it, Windows Media just gives me pictures instead of video.

Try this site, they have a bunch of videogames trailers.

www.gametrailers.com

bbchs_trash
03-09-2003, 10:29 PM
Did anyone else go and Download a bunch of songs by the band that plays in the Trailer? Eleventeen... wow they are pretty good... good enough to make me buy their CD... WOOT WOOT!