PDA

View Full Version : PLaystation 3 in '03?!?!?!?!!?

TheCovenant
03-10-2003, 07:14 PM
Today on tech tv,a show called screen savers said that at an earlier interview with sony's playstation hardware development factory, tryout development will commence next month, and even went as far as to say that playstation 3 will debut within the year, (more specifically, December 26, 2003).

It was also announced that sony was breached for comments, and the statement was immediatly denied, saying that the playstation 2 is selling well and introducing or even announcing such an early debut for sony's next installment in the console market, would hurt the earlier part of the years income for playstation hardware.

Anaysts predicted that such a date is entirely feasible, and so was their comment. The factory will start manufacturing test hardware in may, and announcing the playstation this early will hurt the companies market.

Although skeptical, it's still bizarre that playstation would make such amove, but seeing as how microsoft has dominated the market (online), sony has decided to take out an early more powerful (than playstation 2) machine to enhance online expiriances.

Just my opinion in that last paragraph, everything else i just saw (March 10, 2003---4:00 pm Standard pacific time)

Stormlord
03-10-2003, 07:24 PM
Maybe they meant they would reveal some specs about it or it's design. Yeah it's a little too early to release PS3. Plus didn't Sony first push PS3 down to 2004, but when Xbox debuted Sony saw that it had a vast majority of fan boys it decided to push it back up to 2005? I don't know Sony just likes to lie a lot. I remember they said that they didn't have enough PS2s for launch but when Nintendo revealed that GBA sold more quickly and a massive ammount on its debut. Sony then came out and said that had they shipped those extra PS2s they would have beaten Nintendo. :rolleyes: Sony has got some issues to sort out.

MerimacHamwich
03-10-2003, 07:29 PM
Well the PS2 has been out for a while. I personally hope it comes out. It will probably only be as good as the current Xbox. Then when the next Xbox comes out it will destroy the PS3. That or else Sony will come out with the PS4 when the next Xbox comes out, and it will still blow away the Sony.

Cloud Strife
03-10-2003, 07:31 PM
My new PSM magazine I got in the mail today had an Aprils fools joke that the PS3 cell technology was that it would do the best cel-shading graphics ever and every game would be cell shaded. I would have loved that to be true since I like cel shading.;)

TheCovenant
03-10-2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Burning Ranger
My new PSM magazine I got in the mail today had an Aprils fools joke that the PS3 cell technology was that it would do the best cel-shading graphics ever and every game would be cell shaded. I would have loved that to be true since I like cel shading.;)

okay, explain to me one more time.......why did you come back?

Maybe they meant they would reveal some specs about it or it's design. Yeah it's a little too early to release PS3. Plus didn't Sony first push PS3 down to 2004, but when Xbox debuted Sony saw that it had a vast majority of fan boys it decided to push it back up to 2005? I don't know Sony just likes to lie a lot. I remember they said that they didn't have enough PS2s for launch but when Nintendo revealed that GBA sold more quickly and a massive ammount on its debut. Sony then came out and said that had they shipped those extra PS2s they would have beaten Nintendo. Sony has got some issues to sort out.

i didn't misunderstand anything. it was very clear. the factory will begin industrializing the new test hardware. if they begin this process as early as may, then a final, mass-produced product is entirly plausible, if not almost fact, that it will be available at the end of the year.

MixMasta
03-10-2003, 07:47 PM
not that this really is important, but was the release date for the us or japanese market?

TheCovenant
03-10-2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by MixMasta
not that this really is important, but was the release date for the us or japanese market?

i'm thinking japanese, although that is a very valid question. I assumed it would be a US release date, but I had my mind set on xbox gears, where everything launches in the US first(sweet though isnt it?)

Yea, i think the japanese will be the first to indulge in their brand new machine of infiriority (Note: my friggin opinion, no flamming).

I will be ****ed at sony if they try such a manuever. This will make the next generation exactly like this one. Playstion will have the best graphics of all the lastgeneratio console and will debut early. everyone will get it because a third generation console is better than nintendo and xbox's first generaation.

People will have pride in their new system and a year later when a good system comes out, no one will want to reinvest, even though that new system is better in nearly every way.....

****es me off.....

Viper87227
03-10-2003, 10:01 PM
This would be awesome... I would get my PS3 and then have a whole year before to build up a solid games collection before I get my Xbox 2nd Generation Next 2 ;)

Variation-XBA
03-10-2003, 10:40 PM
Not a chance for 2003, or preorders would be out the door

CrazyCougar
03-10-2003, 11:35 PM
I'll say this much, don't go into shock when you see the PS3 at the end of this year.

Cloud Strife
03-11-2003, 12:10 AM
The reports are false. It ain't happening. Link (http://forums.xengamers.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74043)

xboxmaster2002
03-11-2003, 12:46 AM
its not true, but it would be stupid for them to release a totally new system after 2 years.

Stormlord
03-11-2003, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by xboxmaster2002
its not true, but it would be stupid for them to release a totally new system after 2 years.

Yeah, if Sony pulled a stunt like that then console gaming would start to go down the tubes like PC has been recently. I mean Geforce 4 is atleast year old or less and it's already being replaced by Geforce FX. There would be no progress because then no one would be able to take advantage of any hardware. The developers must then have PS2 and PS3 in mind so then everything will be mediocore. And the sad thing is if that actually would work out for Sony, MS would try the same thing to stay in competition. :confused: :eek:

No sir, let's hope a travesty like that doesn't happen. :D :cool:

El Papa Grande
03-11-2003, 02:51 PM
ahh Bull****

No Fear 23
03-11-2003, 03:25 PM
why would ppl beleive that stupid crap??

even if it was true, ps3 will be all crappy and shiat in its performance.

Liquid Gears
03-11-2003, 06:27 PM
Does anyone have any links to pics of the PS3?

LynxFX
03-11-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Liquid Gears
Does anyone have any links to pics of the PS3?
It is kinda hard to have pics of something that doesn't exist. All you will find are artist renderings, none of which are from Sony.

Cloud Strife
03-11-2003, 07:00 PM
There are no pics. I already proved it in my link I gave that Sony doesn't plan to release it anytime soon. If Sony did release it, I would definately buy it. Any system with Final Fantasy on it can never go bad.;)

I don't think Sony should release it right now anyway because the PS2 is already done okay and I'm very happy with mine.:)

Liquid Gears
03-11-2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx-XBA
It is kinda hard to have pics of something that doesn't exist. All you will find are artist renderings, none of which are from Sony.

Hey, I've seen pics of the new console system "The Phantom" coming out. I don't see why they could have some pics of the PS3

Shadow20002
03-11-2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Liquid Gears
Hey, I've seen pics of the new console system "The Phantom" coming out. I don't see why they could have some pics of the PS3

Because the phantorm is coming out in late of 2003. Maybe WYSIWYG or this one just a beta. ;)

xboxmaster2002
03-11-2003, 09:43 PM
the phantom is a joke its the 3DO of next gen consoles its one of the worst ideas ever and its probally going to be like 500$

MerimacHamwich
03-11-2003, 10:03 PM
That is where you are wrong. If you have read up on the system and know anything about economics or generally the gaming industry you would think it is an amazing idea. I am still on the "its fake" side but I do think it would be awesome if it was real and did what they said it could.

xboxmaster2002
03-11-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
That is where you are wrong. If you have read up on the system and know anything about economics or generally the gaming industry you would think it is an amazing idea. I am still on the "its fake" side but I do think it would be awesome if it was real and did what they said it could.

its a PC but not as good thats all it is

MerimacHamwich
03-11-2003, 10:13 PM
Same with every single other console out there.

xboxmaster2002
03-11-2003, 10:23 PM
yeah but this is more like a PC than any other console, and its nothing without good support and exclusives.

MerimacHamwich
03-11-2003, 10:34 PM
How do you know it wouldn't have good support or exclusives? Also, PC's are basically what consoles are trying to be. Where do you think the idea for a gaming console came from? As well, the next xbox seems to be more of a PC than the Phantom is said to be.

xboxmaster2002
03-11-2003, 10:49 PM
i meant that any console expecting to earn its spot in the gaming industry needs good support look at the 3DO it didnt have much it was way to much money for most people and if failed then you look at xbox and ps2 and they are selling great they ave great games.. now if the phantom only has PC games what is the advantage of buying that over a cord that hooks your computer up to your TV and have it do more its not like they are going to make it compatible with xbox, ps2 and gamecube games so all it will have is PC games unless they prove they have a chance and for a console coming out later this year it doesnt look like they have what it takes..Are they even going to E3, if not they will fail for sure becase most of the people that own game systems have never herd of this console.

MerimacHamwich
03-11-2003, 11:02 PM
That is exactly it! This is a system that plays PC games but costs 1000$ less than a PC. That is one of the things that makes it so great. As well, it is also said to have console games. Thats right, games that are multiplatform (ie: PS2, GC and XBOX) will also be on the Phantom(if it is real). It is also said to have exclusive games. It is bascially like a gaming PC but costs way less.

xboxmaster2002
03-11-2003, 11:18 PM
but most gamers ave a good PC so they could just hook their computer up to their TV so the phantom is for people that dont want to spend the money on a PC for gaming purposes who knows it could be good but for a system coming out this year, they sure arent showing much off wasnt there a console last year that was supposed to be so much better than the existing console and that just died naver herd about it after a cirtian point. it was fake either the phantom is fake or they just dnt know how to show off their system either way its not going to do that well... and if it does well anywhere it will be in north or south korea what ever one is big on PC games i think its south.

Frostberg
03-14-2003, 05:16 PM
Even if it was at all possible to release it then it wouldnt happen

1. PS2 is still profitable- considering the xbox loses $160ish for every console sold and the PS2 actually makes $100 or so...and the PS2 still is profitable game-wise...so they arent in a huge rush to get out a new console when they are already selling very steadly.

2. A day after Christmas? HA! If anything they would want it released BEFORE the holiday buying season, such as Dec 1st or so...and we know what happened to the PS2 so they need to have enough time to actually make a few million and get them to the stores...if it was after christmas they would lose so much more money, so its just not possible to release a good console at that time....

Holiday 04' or 05' for any other new consoles...

VenoM
03-14-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Burning Ranger
Any system with Final Fantasy on it can never go bad.;)

well...GC is getting a FF title but you still bash it....so what you just said you dont even agree with:rolleyes:

Stormlord
03-14-2003, 09:35 PM
That's true Venom. But Final Fantasy's turn based action is a little out dated. More and More people are turning towards the action RPG. Zelda on Gamecube will be a must have. It already broke Vice City's pre-order record at 560,000 reserves and still climing. that's already more than half a million instant sales. We can only imagine what's it going to be when Fable is finally released or atleast near release. :D :D :cool:

Frostberg
03-14-2003, 10:03 PM
Well I'm sure Fable will do good in the long run...but Zelda is just selling so many preorders mostly because of its name. Its a great franchise...and even large retailers such as target have a preorder system for the new Zelda...and the only other games they are doing preorders for are the two new Pokemons...there are no killer Xbox games that have this kind of retail preorder deal. Microsoft needs to do something for this, because it gets out the name...

shrew king
03-15-2003, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
That is exactly it! This is a system that plays PC games but costs 1000$ less than a PC. That is one of the things that makes it so great. As well, it is also said to have console games. Thats right, games that are multiplatform (ie: PS2, GC and XBOX) will also be on the Phantom(if it is real). It is also said to have exclusive games. It is bascially like a gaming PC but costs way less.

If it is real it will almost surely flop I would say. Consoles for the most part are bought by casual gamers who know little to nothing about the decision they have chosen. I would know, I used to be one. When I bought my Xbox I was just going on what had been said in some newspaper and the fact that it would be online. I thought it would be 56k, but I was very surprised when I found out that I was going to have to get broadband.

Now think of thousands of people like that, buying a console solely on word of mouth. Most won't know it is broadband dependent, and will have a big surprise when they try to figure out how to work the damn thing.

Another thing about the 'Phantom' is the way they are delivering the games. They expect people to do everything by downloading onto the harddrive from the internet. I can see this being very big down the line but I don't think the world is ready right now. Look at places like Australia, there are little to no broadband users down there. Same with most of Europe, and many other countries. It is a must that a console be offline (i.e. disks, cartridges, mini-discs).

There are many other reasons that make it seem like the 'Phantom' will turn out to be another failure, if it is even real. I'll go into further detail if you like.