PDA

View Full Version : Tao Feng is sounding very cool, but is getting very little respect.

wweomaniac
03-10-2003, 08:19 PM
K, I'm sure you've all heard of Tao Feng. Anyone here interested in it?

Well, I was watching electric playground last week, and they were interviewing the guy who came up with the idea. Here's what he basically had to say.

- broken arms and legs from blocking! (original idea)
- You can actually see the cuts and wounds permanently!! (original idea).
- lots of blood
- character models are made with twice as many polygons as Mortal Kombat (Whoa!)... I think he said 13-16 thousand polygons
- did I mention the creator of this game is also the creator of the MK series?
- itneraction with environment (ie. flip off wall, 360 around pole.)

the combo system is undoubtedly the most important part of a fighting game, and he said something about it being really unique, but I can't remember.

Now do those ideas above sound cool or what? I had no intention of buying the game until I heard all these wicked things.

I just gotta figure out when this suckers coming out.

EDIT: Wow... it comes out this month. Who would have thought?

MixMasta
03-10-2003, 08:24 PM
i think ebgames has it scheduled for march 18th. it sounds really cool. since im getting capcom vs snk 2 this weekend, im probably not gonna pick it up, since fighters arent my favorite genre. my friend asked me if he should mortal kombat, so i told him about this game, and now he is gonna get this game on his birthday, the 18th. so im looking forward to playing, and if i like it a lot, ill pick it up too!

wweomaniac
03-10-2003, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by MixMasta
i think ebgames has it scheduled for march 18th. it sounds really cool. since im getting capcom vs snk 2 this weekend, im probably not gonna pick it up, since fighters arent my favorite genre. my friend asked me if he should mortal kombat, so i told him about this game, and now he is gonna get this game on his birthday, the 18th. so im looking forward to playing, and if i like it a lot, ill pick it up too! giddy up. I wish this game were live. I myself am not a big fan of fighters. i didn't like DOA, and I usually get tired of fighters in like 20 minutes. But this one seems promising.

You can see the damage on your opponent!!!!!

I just hope this game doesnt end up sucking like 85% of Microsofts other first party games.

MerimacHamwich
03-10-2003, 08:27 PM
Yeah, it does sound pretty cool. It might be a fighting game I actually enjoy. The last one was Bio Freaks on N64. As for the ideas, they aren't original but they are very logical and should have been implemented on every single fighting game that has comeout on PS2 and/or Xbox.

-edit-
Polygons don't mean everything. DO have any idea how many poly's were used in the Morrowind characters?

l Maximus l
03-10-2003, 08:28 PM
I pretty damn sure that this is XBox Live compatible, therefore, it should make it even greater for those who are juiced up with XBL. I'll definately take a hard look at it and may be willing to take another for the D.D.C. ;)

wweomaniac
03-10-2003, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
-edit-
Polygons don't mean everything. DO have any idea how many poly's were used in the Morrowind characters? Do you know how much I h ate Morrowind ;)? its true though, I hate morrowind.

But I agree that polygons wouldnt matter that much in games. Wait let me rephrase that. Polygons don't matter in games other than racing and fighting.

In racing and fighting, you don't really have much to look at. So fighting games is about eye candy and good combo system or else its trash.

MerimacHamwich
03-10-2003, 08:38 PM
Yeah, I know that they can sometimes mean good graphics. I was pointing out that having lots of polygons means a game is going to look good. Morrowind has tons of polygons in each character, yet they look pretty darn bad. I personally think that the graphical effects used will determine whether a game looks good or not.

03-10-2003, 08:42 PM
I've been waiting for this game to come out for some time now. I'll definetly pick this one up, but I have a feeling it might be a little too overhyped for its own good. MK: DA was good, but I hope this is better since it is Xbox exclusive.

TheCovenant
03-10-2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by 0101010
I've been waiting for this game to come out for some time now. I'll definetly pick this one up, but I have a feeling it might be a little too overhyped for its own good. MK: DA was good, but I hope this is better since it is Xbox exclusive.

i was dissappointed with the pace in deadly alliance, and am starting to think that tao feng follows this pace.

I'll rent it.

wweomaniac
03-10-2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
Yeah, I know that they can sometimes mean good graphics. I was pointing out that having lots of polygons means a game is going to look good. Morrowind has tons of polygons in each character, yet they look pretty darn bad. I personally think that the graphical effects used will determine whether a game looks good or not. the character models in morrowind didn't use a lot ofpolygons. Prove me wrong

wweomaniac
03-10-2003, 09:09 PM
About Morrowind:

haracter models are also highly detailed, and contain as many as 5,000 polygons, compared to the 2,000 polygons normally found in a first person shooter.

About Tao Feng:
[quote]This is evident in what we're doing with our characters in terms of the texture detail, bump mapping, and surface attributes along with the highly detailed models which are composed of between 10-15,000 polygons.

MixMasta
03-10-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA
I pretty damn sure that this is XBox Live compatible, therefore, it should make it even greater for those who are juiced up with XBL. I'll definately take a hard look at it and may be willing to take another for the D.D.C. ;)

i wish you were right, but it looks likeim gonna have to burst your bubble. they say nothing about xbl support here:

http://www.xbox.com/taofeng/

xboxman_1
03-10-2003, 09:43 PM
Yeah, I know that they can sometimes mean good graphics. I was pointing out that having lots of polygons means a game is going to look good. Morrowind has tons of polygons in each character, yet they look pretty darn bad. I personally think that the graphical effects used will determine whether a game looks good or not.

A good example of this, as we all know, is that the new model of the MC from Halo 2 actually uses less polys than the one in Halo.

wweomaniac
03-10-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by xboxman_1
A good example of this, as we all know, is that the new model of the MC from Halo 2 actually uses less polys than the one in Halo. yes, it does use less polygons, but has more bumpmapping. But MC to begin with had about 7, 000 polygons... so it was already pretty damn good.

Mermiac was wrong b/c he said that Morrowind had a lot of polygons, but crappy character models. But it actually didn't have that many polygons, and that owuld explain the crappy character models.

The Sam fisher character mdoel is an example of putting polygons to good use. Or DOOM III pictures.

MerimacHamwich
03-11-2003, 12:42 AM
5,000 polygons for a single character is actually quite alot. Tao Feng apparently has alot more though.

JJaX
03-11-2003, 09:27 AM
I played Tao feng, its really nothing special. It was kind of weak.

wweomaniac
03-11-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by JJaX
I played Tao feng, its really nothing special. It was kind of weak. You've played Tao Feng when it hasn't come out yet? hmm... :confused:

Evil_Dr_Beefy
03-11-2003, 09:42 AM
I haven't played teo feng yet...C'mon mostly everybody like fighting games..so if it's crap we should know it soon enough...I don't care that much for blood and breaking bones...all i want is a smooth as hell fighting engine.....with easy to pull off counters...cool and flashy moves.. if blood and bone breaking is your number one gimmick...then i'm going to keep walking...

JJaX
03-11-2003, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by wweomaniac
You've played Tao Feng when it hasn't come out yet? hmm... :confused:

You think im lying? I have no reason to lie.

I played a demo of it at a gamestop in quakerbridge mall.

I was the dude in the rubber suit. When you beat your opponent, it kicks into a super slow mo replay. And i also remember he had this flip attack where he kicked at you like M.bison.

Im telling, the game isnt that great. But that again i only played a few rounds and didnt get to explorer it to see if it was a deep figher like soul calibur.

DZNUTZ
03-11-2003, 01:00 PM
jjax..u sho your not thinking of kakuto chojin?
cuz thats what it sounds like when u said guy in rubber suit.

and if your speaking about that game...yes...it sux

wweomaniac
03-11-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by DZNUTZ
jjax..u sho your not thinking of kakuto chojin? That would make more sense.

LTM360
03-11-2003, 07:45 PM
Am I the only person who thinks this is just gonna end up as another Kakuto Cojin (dissapointment)? I'll rent this since fighting is my 2nd fav. genre of video games, but I think this game will fall flat when it comes to gameplay. I hope it doesn't, but IMO it probably will. Also I really wish it would get delayed and do what Capcom Vs. SNK 2: EO did (Xbox Live!).

xboxman_1
03-11-2003, 07:51 PM
yes, it does use less polygons, but has more bumpmapping. But MC to begin with had about 7, 000 polygons... so it was already pretty damn good.

I dont get what you're saying though....more polys does not necessarily mean better. Like MH said - its all about the effects..namely, bumpmapping.

Shadow20002
03-11-2003, 09:18 PM
Anyway, i will rent it for one day then decide buying it or not. What i want is something that keep a constant 60 fps. ;)

Stormlord
03-11-2003, 09:29 PM
I gt into it the day that Xbox.com put up the trailer for it. The Poly count I think is double of those in DOA3. Some ideas are original in it and Ed Boon worked on it....I think.:confused:
He brought us MK and MK2 (the best of all MKs) The only problem is that Chi stuff. You either choose to heal yourself or unleash a devastating move. That kind of presents a problem because you may choose to heal your-self but then your opponent usees a specail and then defeats or really messes you up badly. So then you used your Chi for nothing. But then again they did say that you've got to strategize with your CHI. The only way we'll know is when it's finally released. But for the record I'll rent and then see if it's worth the smackeroons. :D

JJaX
03-12-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by LTM360
Am I the only person who thinks this is just gonna end up as another Kakuto Cojin (dissapointment)? I'll rent this since fighting is my 2nd fav. genre of video games, but I think this game will fall flat when it comes to gameplay. I hope it doesn't, but IMO it probably will. Also I really wish it would get delayed and do what Capcom Vs. SNK 2: EO did (Xbox Live!).

You know, maybe i was mistaken....

I think i played Kakuto Cojin, not tao Feng.

Whatever, why cant they give these games normal names :D

Stormlord
03-12-2003, 07:49 PM
Hey it happens. I thought when I saw Kakuto Chojin (whatever it's called) it was Toa Feng. I didn't buy it but man what is up with those funky names?

kachingtensor
03-13-2003, 02:02 AM
From what I've been reading about Tao Feng: Fist of the Lotus, especially what I've been reading lately, I think it's going to be pretty good -- better than MK: DA and much better than Kakuto Chojin.

I'll definitely be picking Tao Feng up when it comes out. :D

However, it is not XBL enabled (which I don't care about, anyway). Tobias was saying in an interview that the team had some good ideas for Live features for a possible sequel, though.

I like that they have lost the round timing and gone to a pure "life-bar-based" system; it's said the fights last a good deal longer than in most fighting games. More time to smash and get smashed through all the breakables they've put in the stages!:p

mmattai
03-14-2003, 12:27 AM
Check my sig for pdf download of the Tao Feng manual :D

EHWfedPres
03-14-2003, 11:47 AM
who gives a **** about the number of polygons...if the game sucks then it could have 98 trillion per square inch for all I care...dosent make the game any better.

This game sounds pretty cool, i'll be getting it when i get the money