PDA

View Full Version : XBOX's are crashing......... ??????????

Vteck3000
11-30-2001, 09:02 PM
Some people are telling me that some of the XBOX's are crashing on them. Is this true ?? Has anyone heard anyting about this ?? I hope this is not true........... i personaly haven't found ANY problems with my XBOX........... but if people heard anything or know why this problem is happening it would be nice to know the full story. Thank you :D

LynxFX
11-30-2001, 09:04 PM
No crashes for me. Ripped plenty of cd's played lots of Halo, DOA3 and Amped.

Frostberg
11-30-2001, 09:32 PM
Just rumors by GC and PS2 fanboys because of their jelousy and rage for out better machine. Theres no real way it could crash. It can only physically crash, but even that is stopped by our amazong controller cord thingy. The only reason it would freeze would be if you got a bad game or if someone took a razor blade to it...basically might as well say it wont happen, because its just like any other console. Just because it had a HD doesnt mean that it has an OS. your save games cant be buggy and cause your dashboard to crash, lol

MS-xbox
11-30-2001, 09:37 PM
you dont need an OS for a hard drive to mess up

somthing can go wrong with it, the needel that reads the little magnets on the disk can go off track and mess up, it happened to my old hard drive in my PC, it would make really strang thumbing sounds, i had to get a new hard drive after it messed up

I dont think any x-box will mess up for a while, it takes a long time to mess up a hard drive, and x-box is quite new, i had played literaly 50 days, yeah 50 24 hour periods for my PC hard drive to mess up

anthony_osborn
11-30-2001, 09:39 PM
just to let you guys know i have had a few prob.s but nothing big. a few days ago it froze, not a big thing just restart it, then today when i was playin it it froze again, same thing as before just restart it. The biggest thing of all which still isnt big, it tells me some times that it doesnt recongnize my games, it tells me, make sure its an xbox game, cd, or dvd. so only about 3 prob's in a month which has slowd down considerably on all the above. so it's all good.

» @ n t h Õ ñ ¥ ¤. «

MS-xbox
11-30-2001, 09:41 PM
How did you get you x-box in october?

Frostberg
11-30-2001, 09:44 PM
Ok i doubt the rate for that happening is real high. We were talking about this here http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3156&perpage=15&pagenumber=3 It is pretty rare for your problem, where the arms are unable to read the platters to happen. With all the Xboxes though, im sure it will happen to a few unlucky people. I dont know what you are talking about your PCs HD messing up. I have never had a HD mess up. Of course I dont know exactly what you are talking about, but I have never had a bad HD, and I have had my 30GB HD for 2 years and my 40GB for about a year and I leave my comp on for about 16 hours on an average day. These suckers are built to last

anthony_osborn
11-30-2001, 09:48 PM
oops im sorry not a month ago i ment 2 weeks ago i made a mistake, it feels like a month. my bad. but it's all true im not makin it up. about 1 out of 25 or so on madden 2002 only it says that about make sure its an xbox game.

MS-xbox
11-30-2001, 10:15 PM
Frost, you need to know how a hard drive works to under-stand what i am saying

There is a disk will A lot of little magnets on them, the magnets can face different ways giving a postive and negitve charge, there is a needle (thats the moving part of hard drives) that reads the magnetic charges as 1's and 0's thus binary coading, the needle on my hard drive go messed up, and btw i played 50 days of gaming, not just leaving it on, with the needle not moving

If you use your hard drive a alo, the needel could go off track

jeah
11-30-2001, 10:17 PM
My xbox got that service error. It said something to the affect I must take my xbox in to have it repaired, HOWEVER:

This occured after trying to play HALO online on gamespy. I got the dirty disc error and turned the power off, when the xbox came back on the green light in front flashed green then red then green then red, etc... I just ejected the disc and it works fine. This only happened because of trying to use system link over the internet. No big deal whatsoever. Halo online rules.

Xbox rules. Beer rules.

Frostberg
11-30-2001, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by MS-xbox
Frost, you need to know how a hard drive works to under-stand what i am saying

There is a disk will A lot of little magnets on them, the magnets can face different ways giving a postive and negitve charge, there is a needle (thats the moving part of hard drives) that reads the magnetic charges as 1's and 0's thus binary coading, the needle on my hard drive go messed up, and btw i played 50 days of gaming, not just leaving it on, with the needle not moving

If you use your hard drive a alo, the needel could go off track

Wow I guess I already knew that, and HDs dont just mess up like that. the needle doesnt touch the platters...everyone knows that...its magnetic...so unless you bring a big ass magnet and place it on your HD, it shouldnt mess up. The needle shouldnt get off track, the distance between the arm and the platter is 1/100th times that of a human hair...its made for that, it it toughes the platter then that could cause bad sectors and is why a HD might "mess up" I dont think by using your HD a lot it will get off track. It doesnt work that way. If you didnt know, the arm doesnt just stay there the whole time. If you have windows on, your computer is still doing things...but i continually do use my computer. The MTBF of HDs is VERY low considering all of them out there.

GokuX
12-01-2001, 01:25 AM
I've experienced one freeze in DOA3, and others I know have had freezes, but I think it's all software related since for me at least its not a hardware issue because I can have the X-Box on for over 10 hours and not have problems. Perhaps a side effect of the rush to release titles by launch time. Also U need to keep in mind the Gamecube is having freezing and crashing problems as well. Some GC owners are having lock ups in Rouge Leader, . Also the Gamecube display system at the Best Buy was locked up. I dunno I guess when newer software comes out we'll see.

mattcoxonline
12-01-2001, 08:21 AM
I was at Xbox Xperience in Manchester a few moments ago and Amped crashed twice.....thats twice in about 2 hrs.

The Xbox was in a metal cage to stop people stealing it and the cage bacame v.hot due to the lighting and the Xbox itself, the temperature wasn't too good for the console.

All they did was turn it off for about 5 mins and then it was fine...
But the console had been on none stop for around 5hrs+....

MS-xbox
12-01-2001, 01:43 PM
My PS2 messed up while playing MGS 2, during a movie, the game froze, and showed a CD with a red X flashing on it.

All things can mess up, no product is perfect

Krugar
12-14-2001, 09:33 PM
Actually my XBox did crash on me. I called the support line, they sent a box via Airborne Express with a return label. I sent it to them and in two days I had a new working XBox. What happened was Games would not be recognized but DVD or Music C.D.'s were. Regardless I love it and it now works again so I am happy. But it is true, it does happen, it happened to me.

Frostberg
12-14-2001, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Krugar
Actually my XBox did crash on me. I called the support line, they sent a box via Airborne Express with a return label. I sent it to them and in two days I had a new working XBox. What happened was Games would not be recognized but DVD or Music C.D.'s were. Regardless I love it and it now works again so I am happy. But it is true, it does happen, it happened to me.

Yeah but thats not really a crash. Xbox newbs ask me all the time if my Xbox has ever crashed, like as if it has buggy winME on it and they joke about the "green screen of death". If your Xbox or some component is DOA then that isint MSs fault...every one of those 1.1million+ Xboxes arent gonna be perfect

Crazy Joe
12-14-2001, 11:51 PM
i live in a university residence, so when i first got my XBOX if wasn't playing it, there were 2 or 3 people waiting to take my place. It was on for about 30 straight hours before i realized that maybe i should shut it down for a while, but never had a problem.

smack119
12-14-2001, 11:53 PM
yeah i have that problem.....i buy and xbox....i didnt know it came with like 30 new friends......