PDA

View Full Version : Halo on PS2???

Satch
03-14-2003, 01:53 PM
Ok, not to make anybody go dead here, but I heard that Halo may very well be on its way to the PS2. wtf?!?! ... I never read it on the net or in magazines, but I know some people who said that they have. This would definately **** me off very much...enough to leave the Xbox and give in to Sony. Has anybody else heard of this or is this just a terrible rumor? By the way, is the PS2 hardware even capable of running Halo??? Tell me somethin.

Snoopy7548
03-14-2003, 01:57 PM
never gonna happen. MS owns Bungie (the company that made halo). so youre never gonna see halo, or any halo games on the ps2

Satch
03-14-2003, 02:02 PM
Yeah I understand that Microsoft owns Bungie, but still I got to thinking....it would bring more money to Microsoft if their best game was on another system....sooooo ... I just hope to God that this is a rumor and that you're right. I mean that would be like Mario goin to Xbox...Good God!!

RudedogX
03-14-2003, 02:06 PM
Sounds like your friends are reading magazines from before the XBox. Either way...don't be so gullible. There is no way that MS would place their flagship game on a system as pathetic power wise as the PS2, their main competition. Just like PS2 trying to ensure that no other system can play GTA3, XBox will ensure that no other system will ever see their best game. Not too hard to understand there.:rolleyes:

Kraft
03-14-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Satch
Yeah I understand that Microsoft owns Bungie, but still I got to thinking....it would bring more money to Microsoft if their best game was on another system....sooooo ... I just hope to God that this is a rumor and that you're right. I mean that would be like Mario goin to Xbox...Good God!!

Halo was actually in developement for the ps2 before MS bought bungie. If you look around you can even dig up PS2 screenshots which look decent, but not nearly as polished as the xbox version. Rude is right, MS isn't going to let their flagship go over to Sony.

wbio
03-14-2003, 02:09 PM
yeah, they would not be getting an more money if they put Halo out on PS2 because that would be one more reason to buy a PS2 over an Xbox, believe me, no Halo game will ever be on PS2

Satch
03-14-2003, 02:13 PM
Ok, maybe we have the PS2 on Halo outta the way, but Halo IS coming out for the PC right? grrr, I know the PC isn't a console, but I just think that Halo should be an XBOX exclusive, and by that, I mean not even on the PC.

RudedogX
03-14-2003, 02:17 PM
Yes, Halo will come out for the PC, for the simple fact to make money. Don't be surprised..it's capitalism at it's finest.

Viper87227
03-14-2003, 04:35 PM
Ok, maybe we have the PS2 on Halo outta the way, but Halo IS coming out for the PC right? grrr, I know the PC isn't a console, but I just think that Halo should be an XBOX exclusive, and by that, I mean not even on the PC.

I believe Halo started devolpment on the PC and there was no plans what-so-ever to bring it to any consoles until MS bought Bungie... but I could be wrong that pure speculation

All this talk of halo makes me want to dig up that old 250mb Halo PC trailer

Reclaimer
03-14-2003, 07:03 PM
And from what I read recently, to make the Halo PC game more attractive, the PC version is supposed to have upgrades and new content to attract sales.

No Fear 23
03-15-2003, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by Reclaimer
And from what I read recently, to make the Halo PC game more attractive, the PC version is supposed to have upgrades and new content to attract sales.

so, whos gonna get it??

Insane Jester
03-15-2003, 04:48 AM
HALO ON PS2 MWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAH

yeah right NEVER gonna happen

Viper87227
03-15-2003, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by irule23
so, whos gonna get it??

well lets see i got a errr... Celeron 500, 64MB RAM, 4MB integrated grafix

Hell yes I am getting it for sure :(

Seawolf X
03-15-2003, 09:47 AM
Ok, not to make anybody go dead here, but I heard that Halo may very well be on its way to the PS2. wtf?!?! ... I never read it on the net or in magazines, but I know some people who said that they have. This would definately **** me off very much...enough to leave the Xbox and give in to Sony. Has anybody else heard of this or is this just a terrible rumor? By the way, is the PS2 hardware even capable of running Halo??? Tell me somethin.

The ps2 would break down...in tears and burn physicaly trying to run halo.

xboxmaster2002
03-15-2003, 11:18 AM
seeing halo on PS2 is like seeing Gran turismo on xbox, its never going to happen.

Professor Kaos
03-15-2003, 11:53 AM
Any ways, when Halo comes out on PC, doesnt Halo 2 come out on Xbox? So they might get like a few weapons/levles but gues what we get a WHOLE NEW GAME.

Xbox Owner
03-15-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Playya
Any ways, when Halo comes out on PC, doesnt Halo 2 come out on Xbox? So they might get like a few weapons/levles but gues what we get a WHOLE NEW GAME.

Halo for PC = Summer
Halo 2 = 2004

:(

Professor Kaos
03-15-2003, 11:57 AM
I C, but I still dont think my GFX card is good enough to run it. So i guess I'll just have to wait.

MerimacHamwich
03-15-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by xboxmaster2002
seeing halo on PS2 is like seeing Gran turismo on xbox, its never going to happen.
Nor would we ever want to see it happen.

I think I will most likely have Halo on PC, how I get it is confidential.

wweomaniac
03-15-2003, 08:35 PM
halo on ps2 is never gonig to happen. The last thing MS wants is more PS2 sales...

Halo was suppose to be on Ps2 and Mac. Weird combo for such a good game. dont you think?

Xbox Owner
03-15-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich

I wouldn't mind seeing GT on Xbox?

TheCovenant
03-15-2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Xbox Owner
I wouldn't mind seeing GT on Xbox?

it doesnt matter. it's not going to happen.

Halo on ps2 is laughable. That like those gamecube fanboys being afraid of Xbox getting zelda. Nothing to even panick about, halo will debut on pc this summer and halo 2 will debut exclusivly on xbox in spring of 2004.

Next time these guys tell you they read this crap, laugh at them for reading magazines that were 4 years old.....

Liquid Gears
03-16-2003, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Snoopy7548
never gonna happen. MS owns Bungie (the company that made halo). so youre never gonna see halo, or any halo games on the ps2

Dude, it is possible. You never know.

Nintendo owns CAPCOM and CAPCOM put few games on the XBOX console. (Example: Steel Battalion, Capcom vs. SNK 2 EO, Genma Onimusha, and coming up soon Marvel vs. Capcom 2)

It could happen

Snoopy7548
03-16-2003, 09:47 AM
yea, but capcom's games arent nintendos best games. halo is one of the best xbox games, and microsoft wouldnt want to lose it. its the game that sold a ton of consoles. and if it came to the ps2, a ton of people would buy a ps2 just to get halo

Viper87227
03-16-2003, 10:04 AM
haha all this Halo on PC talk made me dig up my old PC mags...

Halo was supposed to come out Summer 2000 for PC ;) There are chips and bits ads all over where you can pre-order it. THere are all kinds of articals and the screenshots are laughable there so dated (this was back in the time when a P3 700mhz was like $3000)

JJaX
03-16-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Viper87227
haha all this Halo on PC talk made me dig up my old PC mags...

Halo was supposed to come out Summer 2000 for PC ;) There are chips and bits ads all over where you can pre-order it. THere are all kinds of articals and the screenshots are laughable there so dated (this was back in the time when a P3 700mhz was like $3000)

YuP, halo was orginally going to be a real time strategy game like C&C.

Heres a 52 meg movie of the evolution of halo.

http://halo.bungie.org/misc/evolutionmirrors.html

Go there a pick a mirror

*edit*

Good luck finding a good mirror. Most are crap 2k download speeds or dont even work.

Just thought id post incase you were interested.

wbio
03-16-2003, 06:40 PM
the fileplanet.com mirror is pretty fast, the servers didn't have any wait when I downloaded it. Pretty cool video though, a lot of guys laughing though:p

xboxman_1
03-16-2003, 06:46 PM
Nintendo owns CAPCOM and CAPCOM put few games on the XBOX console.

Really....since when does nintendo own capcom?

Whisper
03-16-2003, 07:00 PM
PS2 could never handle Halo. but if they ever got it, it would be over

l Maximus l
03-17-2003, 10:59 AM
Snoopy said it best: Bungie made Halo and Microsoft owns Bungie. Hell would freeze over before Halo would be seen on PS2.

This would be like seeing Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime, or The Legend of Zelda found on XBox or PS2. Uh....it's not going to happen.

Now....just one moment...

~~BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHHAHAHHAA!!!!

Okay...finished now. :D

rothgar
03-17-2003, 01:10 PM
is halo still planning to be on mac too? i know it was originally going to be for it, i was just wondering if it still might be.

also, lets say hypathetically (sp?) halo did go to ps2. i still dont think it would be all that great. cause the reason it is as good as it is is system link and multi-player. you would have to buy a multi tap ($30) to play 4 players (not to mention another $90 for 3 more controllers) you would need $50 for the modem to play through xbconnect or system link and $50 for the game. i dont know of anyone who would be willing to go out and buy a ps2 ($200) just to play halo.

total $ spent just to play 4 player system link for ps2 $420 i dont think that would happen

but its not happening anyway...i just wanted to point out once again why i like the xb more than ps2

xboxman_1
03-17-2003, 03:46 PM
Once again ignored, I repeat myself :

Nintendo owns CAPCOM and CAPCOM put few games on the XBOX console.

Since when does nintedo own Capcom?

Cyclone
03-17-2003, 08:19 PM
A guy at Nintendo told me that Halo 2 was going to be exclusivly for the Game Cube :eek: :o

Cyclone
03-17-2003, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by rothgar
also, lets say hypathetically (sp?) halo did go to ps2. i still dont think it would be all that great.

Let's put it this way...
PS2 running Halo...Never! Bungie would have to strip so much out of Halo just to get it to run decent on the PS2...

Evil_Dr_Beefy
03-17-2003, 11:51 PM

Nope, it ain't going to happen... sorry

Shadow Fox
03-18-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by rothgar
is halo still planning to be on mac too? i know it was originally going to be for it, i was just wondering if it still might be.Yes Halo was, and it still is going to Mac for a simultaneous release with the PC version of Halo 1.5. Supposedly 64-man online or LAN deathmatch and upgradable weapons are key features, along with a debug kit for mods some time in July.

Bungie went from an exclusive MacOS/OSX developer, to a PC/Mac developer/part-publisher, to multiconsole developer (PS2, PC, Mac), to an internal second party developer at Microsoft for an ungodly amount of currency. Strange, isn't it?;)

-Official Ninja of XboxAddict

XBOX Dude
03-21-2003, 07:17 PM
lol halo on ps2, and wtf happened to the pc halo it's like microsft keep's playin the run around with that puppy, maybe they just wanna keep dangling the carrot so to speak. anyway i'm happy with my xbox halo i just can't see halo without a big xbox infront of me it's like there one in the same.

TheChunkyMidget
03-21-2003, 07:23 PM
splinter cell went to the ps2..wich sucks :( i thought it was gonna stick with us..but microsoft likes money and thats what its gonna get with converting it to all 3 platforms..the ps2 wont come close to the xbox graphics on that game..to hard and doesnt have the needed material

Shadow Fox
03-22-2003, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by TheChunkyMidget
splinter cell went to the ps2..wich sucks :( i thought it was gonna stick with us..but microsoft likes money and thats what its gonna get with converting it to all 3 platforms..the ps2 wont come close to the xbox graphics on that game..to hard and doesnt have the needed material Um, TCM, Microsoft didn't develop nor publish Splinter Cell; what are you talking about? UbiSoft is making the money for this, not MS...even with Halo going to PC/Mac is a Bungie-only affair and it's little deal with the developers doing the port.

Splinter Cell will also be on the GameCube with exclusive enhancements via GBA and graphics (better framerate, less clipping, etc).

And for the record, Splinter Cell was never Xbox exclusive to begin with; the title was announced for GameCube, PS2, and GBA at E3 officially last year.

TheChunkyMidget
03-22-2003, 07:29 AM
:^O *gasp* you must be working for russia..now tell me this!..do aliens really exist,or is it all just a big hoax?!!o_0

Shadow Fox
03-22-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by TheChunkyMidget
:^O *gasp* you must be working for russia..now tell me this!..do aliens really exist,or is it all just a big hoax?!!o_0 I have to admit, that's one of the wierdest "thanks for the info" responses I've ever gotten here...

And for your query, depends on whether or not you call aliens extraterrestrial life, or extraterrestrial SETIENT life. Plants and amoeba have been confirmed on other planets for about 30 years now, but that's a whole 'nuther topic, folk.

TheChunkyMidget
03-22-2003, 02:32 PM
wooooooooooooooooooow
-Official Chunky Midget Of XBA

Highlite23
03-22-2003, 03:54 PM
Honestly, i didn't bother reading all 40+ replies, but...................

IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!

xboxman_1
03-22-2003, 04:04 PM
splinter cell went to the ps2..wich sucks i thought it was gonna stick with us..but microsoft likes money and thats what its gonna get with converting it to all 3 platforms..the ps2 wont come close to the xbox graphics on that game..to hard and doesnt have the needed material

Aahhhh, young pondskipper, head over to the PS2 debate forum, there is about an 8 page thread about the differences between the xbox and PS2 SC, and aparently, the PS2 version is better. Because Shadow Fox said so.

TheChunkyMidget
03-22-2003, 04:12 PM
ahhh i see..yes i am suffering from a disease called..what is it? ahh yes noobenitis..hopefully i recover quickly..im happy to know halo will stay..didnt know all the facts with splinter cell but now i know..ahh yes im in nirvana :cool:

Shadow Fox
03-22-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by xboxman_1
Aahhhh, young pondskipper, head over to the PS2 debate forum, there is about an 8 page thread about the differences between the xbox and PS2 SC, and aparently, the PS2 version is better. Because Shadow Fox said so. I didn't say the PS2 version would be, or is better, I said the shadows in the game, extra gadgets, and an extra level were an improvement.

Considering the game was reworked in some areas to run on the PS2, why would I say something like that? ;)

Now the GameCube version, on the other hand, being an exact duplicate of the Xbox version with extras/better framerate, is another story...

XBOX Dude
03-23-2003, 12:44 PM
call me crazy shadow but i don't think gc is gonna look as good a xbox's, because of vertex shading (probably spelled wrong) as i recall gc can't really do that and the shadows and lighting effects were done using this, and ps2's look's like ass the textures make me wanna puke.

Xbox Owner
03-23-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by XBOX Dude
call me crazy shadow but i don't think gc is gonna look as good a xbox's, because of vertex shading (probably spelled wrong) as i recall gc can't really do that and the shadows and lighting effects were done using this, and ps2's look's like ass the textures make me wanna puke.

Actually, I thought PS2 had decent screens. I mean, as good as they can makei t on PS2.

thunderkiss2k1
03-23-2003, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich

I think I will most likely have Halo on PC, how I get it is confidential.

Piracy is a bad thing. :/

Shadow Fox
03-24-2003, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by XBOX Dude
call me crazy shadow but i don't think gc is gonna look as good a xbox's, because of vertex shading (probably spelled wrong) as i recall gc can't really do that and the shadows and lighting effects were done using this, and ps2's look's like ass the textures make me wanna puke. Vertex SHADERS, XBOX Dude, and you're right- the Xbox does have them, and GCN doesn't.

But what are vertex shaders used for in actuality? Bumpmapping and skinning applications within games, not lighting/shadowing (which has more to do with a T&L pipeline).

Now, how this misconception came about I have no clue, but we can clearly say that Dreamcast, PS2, GCN and Xbox all do bumpmapping in hardware, and excess processes in software.

GCN can do Splinter Cell and more graphically, since it has a more robust texture and lighting display (8 hardware lights and 8 texture layers) compared to Xbox (4 hardware, 4 local-only lights, and 4 texure layers).

And if you don't believe me, you can see for yourself in games like Metroid Prime, Eternal Darkness, StarFox Adventures, Rogue Leader, and other games that take specific advantage of the hardware somewhat. Or you can look at the Splinter Cell GCN images and footage here. (http://cube.ign.com/articles/389/389495p1.html)

I'll even give you a sample image:

http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/xfishfriweek1gc1in.jpg

There really isn't much more realtime Xbox can do over GameCube, with the exception of DOT3 ENVIRONMENT bumpmapping, which would no doubt put the GameCube to sleep. But since not one game has used this on Xbox...whatever.

VeNoMiZA
03-24-2003, 11:00 AM
oh great this g-ay guy comes here and explain differences didnt i shut you up already? about how you think your opinion is correct and everyone elses dosnt count? :rolleyes:

Slayer02
03-24-2003, 12:13 PM
Never. Even if it does happen, it will suck ass. Look at the xbox to ps2 port of Splinter Cell, nuff said.

Shadow Fox
03-24-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by VeNoMiZA
oh great this guy comes here and explain differences didnt i shut you up already?Look in that PS2 thread you originally posted in; you're sorely mistaken about that I'm afraid.;)
about how you think your opinion is correct and everyone elses dosnt count? :rolleyes: Nope; I just said PS2 actually has sharper shadows and some added shadowing in some areas that aren't on the Xbox version, which is fact if you look at the recent footage. If you find some more recent footage of the PS2 version that has no shadows at all, or aliased shadows, complete lack of lighting, and lots of missing items then your opinion would be fact and would mean something to the topic at hand there. But until then...

XBOX Dude
03-24-2003, 03:43 PM
lemme see if i can explain this right in xbox the light is it's own entity what i'm saying is you can see it in a room or like a hole in the wall light shoot's out across it on to the ground and you can see the beam of light, and by looking at ps2 or gc the light just doesn't seem right it's missing that little thing that can't be explained that made SC better then it was. maybe it's just me but the lighting seems better in the xbox version

thunderkiss2k1
03-24-2003, 07:05 PM
GCN can do Splinter Cell and more graphically, since it has a more robust texture and lighting display (8 hardware lights and 8 texture layers) compared to Xbox (4 hardware, 4 local-only lights, and 4 texure layers).-Originally posted by Shadowfox.

Shadow , you yourself in another thread admitted that you had made an error in claiming the Xbox only had 4 hardware lights, etc. So why are you repeating your mistake? Peace.

ImmortalTech
03-24-2003, 08:31 PM
yep

Shadow Fox
03-24-2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by thunderkiss2k1
GCN can do Splinter Cell and more graphically, since it has a more robust texture and lighting display (8 hardware lights and 8 texture layers) compared to Xbox (4 hardware, 4 local-only lights, and 4 texure layers).-Originally posted by Shadowfox.

Shadow , you yourself in another thread admitted that you had made an error in claiming the Xbox only had 4 hardware lights, etc. So why are you repeating your mistake? Peace. Now look at what I said, tk2k1. 4 hardware, and 4 local-only lights.They're still eight, just only 4 can be running in a given scene as infinite lights, and the rest as local or ambient/fog lighting.
Originally posted by Xbox Dude
lemme see if i can explain this right in xbox the light is it's own entity what i'm saying is you can see it in a room or like a hole in the wall light shoot's out across it on to the ground and you can see the beam of light, and by looking at ps2 or gc the light just doesn't seem right it's missing that little thing that can't be explained that made SC better then it was. maybe it's just me but the lighting seems better in the xbox versionHmm...well let's see:

Xbox version:

http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/prettycell4.jpg

GameCube version:

http://bellsouthpwp.net/d/h/dhiherm/images/scgcn01.JPG http://bellsouthpwp.net/d/h/dhiherm/images/scgcn02.JPG

PS2 version:

http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/tomclancysc_031303_4.jpg http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/splintercell_022402_7.jpg

Looking above, you are both right and wrong:

You are wrong about the PS2/GCN versions lacking the lighting in the Xbox version, and you are right about the "maybe it's just me" comment...

Don't know what this unmentionable thing this is you're mentioning, but find out what it is so I can see if it truly is missing in the current PS2 review, and the upcoming review for GCN.