PDA

View Full Version : IGN gives Tao Feng an 8.7:

DIGITAL
03-15-2003, 12:28 PM
i think thats a pretty good score heres some comments from the review
Presentation
The story is great, the voice acting superb. But only two costumes per character and the unlockable extras suck. 8.0
Graphics
A stunning fighter with a great visual look, amazing character models, and some devastating grabs and Chi attacks. The framerate problems are the only real issue here. 9.0
Sound
The narration through Quest Mode is fantastic and the characters are all well-voiced. The score is top notch as well. But no customizable soundtracks? 9.0
Gameplay
Easy to learn, tough to master. An incredible challenging AI. The game is fun, but the combo-heavy gameplay comes off as a bit unfair and the camera can be a nightmare. 8.0
Lasting Appeal
The Quest Mode is a tough challenge and this is certainly a fighter you'll enjoy playing with your buddies. But this one may be forgotten the moment the next good fighter is released. 8.0
OVERALL SCORE (not an average) 8.7:eek:

Dre
03-15-2003, 12:37 PM
I was really stoked about this title, but I think I'm finally just going to sit tight with DOA for a while longer.

*goes in corner and waits for Soul Calibur 2*

DIGITAL
03-15-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Dre
I was really stoked about this title, but I think I'm finally just going to sit tight with DOA for a while longer.
*goes in corner and waits for Soul Calibur 2* this movie might change your mind http://www.kidyoyo.com/users15/tekkendork/tao2c.avi

wweomaniac
03-15-2003, 12:55 PM
looks like I was right :p

studepaber
03-15-2003, 03:48 PM
I may decide to rent this one first, most of what I've read on the game have been negative reviews, although the movies I've seen of it seem good. It would be nice to have another good 3d fighter besides DOA3 (at least until Soul Caliber 2 comes out :D)

carlbme
03-15-2003, 04:12 PM
Played the demo. Was not impressed.

Shadow20002
03-15-2003, 04:32 PM
Anyway, i will rent it first. In the review, they are talking about unlockable extras...what are they ? Characters, modes, new CHI moves, new costumes or else ? ;)

wweomaniac
03-15-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by studepaber
I may decide to rent this one first, most of what I've read on the game have been negative reviews, although the movies I've seen of it seem good. It would be nice to have another good 3d fighter besides DOA3 (at least until Soul Caliber 2 comes out :D) this ign review has been the first review I've seen on the game. I haven't been able to find any reviews on this game. Where are you finding them?

DIGITAL
03-15-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by carlbme
Played the demo. Was not impressed. where did you find a demo of this game

wweomaniac
03-15-2003, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by DIGITAL
where did you find a demo of this game I hope he wasn't thinking about Kakuto Chojin. Why does MS come out with asian names? TWO!?! it confuses the world

EHWfedPres
03-15-2003, 09:48 PM
I dont care what some other dude has to say about a game...Im going to get it anyway and decide if I like it...I dont care if anybody else does.

MerimacHamwich
03-15-2003, 10:29 PM
It looked pretty good from what I saw. Thank god there is no time limit. Graphics blew away DOA3 for sure. The only thing that didn't seem to be there was the visual damage on the characters. The movie cuts out about halfway for me. Did anyone see the whole thing? If so was their any visual damage? IE: Bruises, broken bones, cuts?

Evil_Dr_Beefy
03-16-2003, 12:16 PM
i think we need more fighters on the xbox than doa 3....didn't much care for mortal kombat...with it's stupid fatality moves..and switching fighting style on the fly....Tao feng (stupid name for a fighter) looks like a winner....but i am going to reserve jugdement until i play it.....Soul calibur 2 is going to save all of the fighting fans out there

studepaber
03-16-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by wweomaniac
this ign review has been the first review I've seen on the game. I haven't been able to find any reviews on this game. Where are you finding them?

I thought I saw that the Xbox Nation magazine give it a 3/10, it's gotta be better than that though, seriously.

DZNUTZ
03-17-2003, 01:12 PM
i swear..half these people confuse this game with Kakuto Chojin

Kraft
03-17-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by DZNUTZ
i swear..half these people confuse this game with Kakuto Chojin

I did for a while. Both of them were 'that fighting game with the funny name'. I did finally train myself to remember that Tao Feng is the 'good one' that I was really looking forward to. Sort of a realistic Mortal Kombat.

wweomaniac
03-17-2003, 03:43 PM
bad news people.
gamespy.com NOT SPOT, but gamespy.com, gave the game 38.0%

Now... I usually find their reviews pretty good, but 39% compared to the other 80% reviews is pretty strange.

DZNUTZ
03-17-2003, 04:29 PM
well..after waiting an hour for the site to load..i did skim the reviews.

not good at all.
while i hope the were overly harsh by giving it a 38%.... that is still low enuff to make u deffinately reconsider.

something i did find interesting tho...they gave halo an 85. same score as they gave hunter. and get this..they gave deathrow a 86%.

so deathrow is better then halo ?

go figure.

wweomaniac
03-17-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by DZNUTZ
well..after waiting an hour for the site to load..i did skim the reviews.

not good at all.
while i hope the were overly harsh by giving it a 38%.... that is still low enuff to make u deffinately reconsider.

something i did find interesting tho...they gave halo an 85. same score as they gave hunter. and get this..they gave deathrow a 86%.

so deathrow is better then halo ?

go figure. halo wasn't that good. A 90% would have been a better score though.

DZNUTZ
03-17-2003, 05:50 PM
hmm..well according to them..wreckless is a better game then halo.

on the replayability side alone......
i don't see how that could be.

Xbox Owner
03-17-2003, 08:16 PM
Gamespot gave this game a 6.4:o

nashpred31
04-01-2003, 03:17 AM
actually i thought Kakuto Chojin was more fun than tao feng lol and i only played Kakuto Chojin in wal mart for like 10 minutes and rented tao feng for 3 days :mad: lots of great ideas in the game but lots of bad things in the game too. i mean how can you like a game that when the computer goes for a 10 or more hit combo on lowest difficulty and you go to block and the camera angle changes and you have to take it all. it was more hype and who wants to see the stupid limb damage videos over and over oh no my arm is hurt but please i dont want to see a video of it just say LIMB DAMAGE and have a little thing under life bar highlight what is hurt or just say LIMB DAMAGE RIGHT ARM! and stuff but game looks amazing and the more you get beat up or your opponent gets hurt that looks nice. i found alot of the characters lame though but the chi moves are awesome its kinda like a fighter with no special moves like fireballs and stuff and focuses more on fighting to get your super move "chi move" but i wanna know why that goth guy does a choke slam is he like kane or something maybe he should join the wwe hehe. just thought it was out of place in his move setup. but what i think is you can only go so far with reviews from mags and other people. sometimes it is best to rent and get your own thoughts cause i might not like the game much buuuuuuuuuuuuuut i do fully support the fans that love it and say to them keep on kicking butt. and i see huge mixed opinion on this game some great some horrid me i was just bored with it bet i would like it more if i was playing another person and not the evil computer. i look forward to a 2nd installment with major fixes to a game on the right track. i might rent it again to mess with it some more though cause all of this talk about it just makes me wanna fiddle with it more. all i know about unlocking stuff in the game was i heard its just a lame fighter with no chi moves that is way to powerful i dunno. i say mix this with mk: da and both together would be nice cause i would give mk higher rating on controls. me i rate it more around 50% has its highs and lows but its lows really hurt it