PDA

View Full Version : Xbox controllers

BrettX
03-16-2003, 02:19 PM
So I went to return one of my controllers, because my stupid roommate broke it, (good thing I got an extended warranty) and when I went to return it at Future Shop, the guy went and grabbed a type S. Now don't get me wrong, I am not bashing the type S, but I mean, I LOVE the regular Xbox controllers, that was one of the huge selling points for me, it's the first game controller that actually fits my hands comfortably and isn't going to give me carpel tunnel sundrome! So anyway, he comes back with this dinky little type S, and I was like "can I get a regular one instead of the type S please" just then is when he broke the news to me... Apparently, they aren't making them anymore, and type S are the only ones you can get now, unless they have the others left over!!!!! How come I never heard about this??? Microsoft should have sent out a freakin' newsletter saying "hey, if you need a new controller, go get one before you have to get stuck with one that's made for a five year old." anyway, this sucks! :mad:

Knight
03-16-2003, 02:24 PM
That sucks, I'm going to get a 3rd one soon if this is true.

Seawolf X
03-16-2003, 02:35 PM
That kinda has to do with microsoft letting ebgames and some other places do the deals with turning a a next gen console with 3 games, you can get a xbox with two. But this only goes for the regular contoller with the xbox console. They are trying to get rid of them, because of all the complaints and stuff. It is costing them because the xbox with the two free games and controller S selled better at $200. A little off...but microsoft made the two sega games on one disk. It would cost less for them because of it only being on the one disc. I know it's not a really big deal, but think about it. Because of the deals on the regular controller, they got rid of them pretty quickly.

MerimacHamwich
03-16-2003, 04:00 PM
He was lying. They are continuing to make the old/original controlers but they sell the console itself with the type s. As far as I know Microsoft has never said they are discontinuing the original model of controllers. Don't believe everything they tell you.

No Fear 23
03-16-2003, 04:05 PM
yo, welcome to XBA. :)

neway, i still see the original controllers at my local eb, walmart, cotsco, and sams. maybe they are still makin them. if not, then i will by 4 controllers before they all are gone. the original controllers is the most comfortable controller my hands ever felt. o well

Kortiz
03-16-2003, 04:29 PM
im a big guy with big hands and i love the S controller.

playing Tony Hawk with the origional controller was a BIATCH. i hated the game until i got the S controller. It made it much easier for me to do moves faster.

Variation-XBA
03-16-2003, 04:40 PM
Im with ya, I love the origional controller, S-one is too fubard :P

But yea, certain places its hard to find the old ones, you gotta look, plus there is always online too

Young_Fledgling
03-16-2003, 04:53 PM
i went to eb and asked for a controller-s and they had none..... all the had was big ones..... i like them both :)

Whisper
03-16-2003, 07:02 PM
i hate the s controller... the regular one is fine.

Kortiz
03-16-2003, 07:13 PM
ill say one good thing about the orig. controller.......IT HAS BETTER VIBRATION!!!!!! WOOOHOOOOO

*humps the air*

ShannonX
03-16-2003, 08:18 PM
i'm all for the original controller, i agree, its the first controller thats ever felt comfy in my hands. the s controller, ps2 controller and to some extend the n64 controller cause my hands to cramp up meaning i cant play as much as i could with an original.

Kortiz
03-16-2003, 08:54 PM
i would say you guys have been masturbating too much!

Xbox Owner
03-16-2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Knight
That sucks, I'm going to get a 3rd one soon if this is true.

Same here.. :o

canadianboi3
03-16-2003, 09:42 PM
I hate the S Controller as well. But, Microsoft said they just sell the S in the systems now, and you can still buy it seperately, don't worry.

BCan
03-17-2003, 06:14 AM
Mortal Kombat suggests that you use a Controller S, due to the use of the black button, and its position on the smaller controller. So, watch out with those kind of beat-em-ups that they will have combos that will be easier with certain types of controllers.

No doubt MS would also make sure that third party providers would make theirs almost the same too - wouldn't want to have to work out where the white and black buttons are on each different controller that is out there...

Seawolf X
03-17-2003, 08:35 AM
I agree, i also liked the regular controller better than the controller S. It felt like you were holding something nice and solid. You could rest your hands on it while playing. I liked playing with such a different controller.

Qbas
03-17-2003, 09:01 AM
Well i find the "duke" controller a bit large to me, so that's why i have ordered a S type controller because it fits me better.

l Maximus l
03-17-2003, 10:51 AM
The regular controllers are everywhere and there is no plans to discontinue production on them. How hard is it to slap together something that is easy enough as injection molding? (plastic, for those who have no clue to what I just said ;))

Personally, I find the regular controller to be my favorite, but, then again, I own four of them and don't have any additional controller ports for a type-S :D I've played with a Type-S controller with fighting games and find them to be much better to use because it has a more traditional feel to it and the buttons are spread out enough so you can make precise blows to your opponent.

Either way.......I love beer :D

No Fear 23
03-17-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA

Either way.......I love beer :D

dont we all do ;)

Insane Jester
03-17-2003, 03:59 PM
i love the s-controller and every single shop here i go into has full shelves of the older controller. ive also asked and as far as the shops know they havent stopped the original controllers yet.

Liquid Gears
03-18-2003, 12:01 AM
Anyone who's had their Regular XBox Controller since the XBox launch:

Is your controller's cord starting to break from all the bending of it?

or

Is the D-Pad starting to fu*k up a lot?

Please tell me.