PDA

View Full Version : One smokin' XBox....

l Maximus l
03-17-2003, 04:56 PM
Well, dudes...

This is not a joke...my XBox just fried. I think the fan went out...I have no idea...all I know is that I have my windows wide open to let the smoke out of the room.

I'm seriously bummed.... It's dead.

Damn it!!!

DZNUTZ
03-17-2003, 05:01 PM
not

good

at

all

what are u gonna do next max?

l Maximus l
03-17-2003, 05:06 PM
I guess buy a new one...

I'm not joking, dude...the thing was smoking....I was playing XBox Live and a little Moto GP...I rented the game to unlock all of the tracks and build up a custom bike...and I took it on-line and raced three tracks...kicked some ass and all of the sudden the thing started smoking..... Unbelievable man....

damn..........

Variation-XBA
03-17-2003, 05:08 PM
Have extended warranty from where you bought it by chance?

l Maximus l
03-17-2003, 05:14 PM
No....I bought a one year warranty...and I bought the XBox on Nov 15th, 2001. It's expired...damn it.....

DZNUTZ
03-17-2003, 05:17 PM
damn...talk about burning rubber max.

well..glad to hear you were doing something useful when your xboxdied.

let us all know...especially the DDC...when u get back up and running.

l Maximus l
03-17-2003, 05:21 PM
I'm going to the store right now......spending money I don't have

Well...okay, I have the money...but, I wasn't exactly planning this....

**{insert every word in the black book.....HUNDREDS OF TIMES}***

DZNUTZ
03-17-2003, 05:28 PM
word2bigbird max.

if you wanna release some of that frustration..i sho could use some unreal tutoring. give me a call.

MerimacHamwich
03-17-2003, 05:43 PM
After careful analysis of this situation my brother has came to the conclusion that your Xbox's motherboard probably fried. Sorry to hear about the loss though. Can't wait to play with you again! I haven't been online with you for ages.
:)

Snoopy7548
03-17-2003, 05:55 PM
that sucks. did you have a memory card? cause that sucks if you lost all your saves

wbio
03-17-2003, 06:00 PM
oh, that sucks!:(. too bad Maxy

LynxFX
03-17-2003, 06:05 PM
That blows maxi!! :mad: :(

You should send it in saying you need the dvd drive swapped out like they were doing for free. Maybe they will do a little double fix for ya? :)

Highlite23
03-17-2003, 07:02 PM
Hey Max, If you havn't bought a new one yet, I found a guy who repairs XBOX's for a flat $40. That includes return shipping.

He's working on one of mine at the moment.

Console Repair (http://www.console-repair.com/)

Just an option dude,BTW, good to hear from you...........even though it was non-stellar news.:D

ARONO129
03-17-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by highlite23-XBA
Hey Max, If you havn't bought a new one yet, I found a guy who repairs XBOX's for a flat $40. That includes return shipping.

He's working on one of mine at the moment.

Console Repair (http://www.console-repair.com/)

Just an option dude,BTW, good to hear from you...........even though it was non-stellar news.:D

Can you let us know if he does a good job?

Casper
03-17-2003, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
After careful analysis of this situation my brother has came to the conclusion that your Xbox's motherboard probably fried. Sorry to hear about the loss though. Can't wait to play with you again! I haven't been online with you for ages.

Please, oh intelligent one, tell us what exactly would burn on the motherboard, I would like to hear this.

Cyclone
03-17-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich

A room full of smoke from a fried Xbox motherboard? Yeah, right...
I think it's more of the powersupply somehow cooked itself. Of course, no way to really tell until you crack it open and look inside. Careful analysis of the situation consisting of information that just tells you that a lot of smoke came from the system and it doesn't work anymore doesnt mean the motherboard fried :P
Electrical burn is a horrible smell to try an get rid of too.

LynxFX
03-17-2003, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by casper
Please, oh intelligent one, tell us what exactly would burn on the motherboard, I would like to hear this.
Overloading capacitors for one. I've seen that happen on many motherboards. That usually only happens to people that build their own pc's and accidently bridge a traceroute on the motherboard to exposed metal. ie, it rarely just happens out of the blue. Another cause, although not directly related to the mobo is if the cooling on the cpu failed. Check out the video on Tomshardware sometime that showed what happens to a cpu just seconds after losing the heatsink and fan. The intel chips (at the time) would lock and be done but the AMD chips (again at the time) would go up in smoke literally 1-2 seconds after losing cooling. It was amazing.

Kortiz
03-17-2003, 08:43 PM
you havnt bought it yet have you? before you buy another one........try and return it for a new xbox.

put on the frown and turn into a crying baby. if that dont work be all like IM GOING TO THE EFFING TRIPLE B FOOOOOOS!

make a huge scene. make the employees feel stupid and ask for a manager. you will get yourself a new xbox.

if that do nt work.......well just go somewhere else and buy it LOL

No Fear 23
03-17-2003, 09:05 PM
damn, that sucks.

max, one question, did u play ur xbox all day or left it on for several days??

u must've prolyl wore it out, but look on the bright side, u should be lucky that ms has dropped the price, and u get to have another troller and 2 free games. :) ;)

Kortiz
03-17-2003, 09:14 PM
listen max.

YOU GOTTA QUIT MAKING THE BOX DRINK BEER!!!!!

i mean.....we all know you can hold your own....but dude, let your xbox work its way up to the point of no return.....dont push da stuff on him....just a heads up

you probably made his liver go bad or sompin....wtg dude.....WAY TO EFFING GO!!!!

CrazyCougar
03-17-2003, 09:16 PM
I am beginning to think more and mor e that Microsoft put together one crappy piece of hardware. All you hear now is problems with xbox's everywhere. Including mine. So did microsoft really lose money on the xbox? I highly doubt it due to the looks of shotty craftmanship. Once again M$ comes through again. Making us buy a product that will break no matter what.

I can't stand M$! GAWD!

Kortiz
03-17-2003, 09:23 PM
mine still works cougar!!!!

IT DOES IT REALLY DOES WORK STILL!

CrazyCougar
03-17-2003, 09:26 PM
Give it time Chicken, give it time...LOL.

Kortiz
03-17-2003, 09:31 PM
day after my warranty expires.....yeah yeah seen it happen a million times.

but seriously i dont play it enough for it to break. sitting there wont do anything. it isnt on carpet...it is in a clean spot.........perfect condition......oh yeah

so whats up now yo?

CrazyCougar
03-17-2003, 09:34 PM
Then yours my last a lot longer man cause you dont use it...LOL...but for the diehard gamers Microsoft made a piece of crap equipment. Great system, but just can't handle extensive gameplay. Hmmmm, wait maybe that was a business move. The more xboxes you kill the more you will buy? (Thats that way M$ thinks with everything.)

No Fear 23
03-17-2003, 09:56 PM
once chicken slut gets bb in his area, he'll be playin his xbox like woah. but i've been playin my xbox alot lately and it hasnt broke out on me yet :):cool:

Brevity
03-17-2003, 09:57 PM
http://forums.xengamers.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74949

Check it out MAX

Kortiz
03-17-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by CrazyCougar-XBA
Then yours my last a lot longer man cause you dont use it...LOL...but for the diehard gamers Microsoft made a piece of crap equipment. Great system, but just can't handle extensive gameplay. Hmmmm, wait maybe that was a business move. The more xboxes you kill the more you will buy? (Thats that way M$ thinks with everything.)

no no no , dont get me wrong. when i get a new game. im on my box like a fatass redneck boogiewoman in heat.

but after i have finished a game......i dont play it so much until i get a new game or have friends over to play multi with me!

MerimacHamwich
03-17-2003, 10:24 PM
Whats with Casper's anger towards me? Yeesh, outta no where.

Anyhow, Cougar, I think you are looking too much into this. My Xbox works fine as does everyone elses I know. My brother's PS2 crapped out though. My DreamCast crapped out too.

LynxFX
03-17-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by CrazyCougar-XBA
I am beginning to think more and mor e that Microsoft put together one crappy piece of hardware. All you hear now is problems with xbox's everywhere. Including mine. So did microsoft really lose money on the xbox? I highly doubt it due to the looks of shotty craftmanship. Once again M$ comes through again. Making us buy a product that will break no matter what.

I can't stand M$! GAWD!

I sure find that hard to believe as MS contracted the top names in the computer hardware industry to design, supply parts and build the xbox. Every product has a percentage of failures, from calculators to airplanes, and the Xboxes isn't any higher than anyone elses. From my own personal examination of the xbox I see nothing short of a solid piece of electronics. Surely I don't love everything MS has ever done and I have my own share of gripes against the company but I will gladly defend them when attacked unfairly and with bias. :rolleyes:

For the record, I have a launch Xbox and it hasn't given me a single quip since I got it. The only dirty disc error I have ever gotten was because of gamespy arcade. YMMV.

Highlite23
03-17-2003, 11:42 PM
No problems here, with 2 XBOX's.

One launch day purchase and the other is 4 months old.

And as far as "Heavy -Duty" gamer cougar..........i play everyday, a min of 4to 5 hrs.(Sometimes longer) Crazy but true.

Snake Eyez
03-17-2003, 11:55 PM
Well since it's broken-- might as well have some fun with it. Try to fix it yourself.

NINE BREAKER
03-18-2003, 12:27 AM
Damn dude that sux ass. Mine just quit today too:mad: I was getting ready to play Morrowind, and the green light around the eject button started flashing red and green. Then the screen went black, the number 21 popped up in the upper left corner and a message " Your Xbox needs to be serviced. Please call technical support". Mine didn't smoke but I feel you man. I think I'm going to check out that Console Repair dotcom thing metioned early on.

Liquid Gears
03-18-2003, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA
Well, dudes...

This is not a joke...my XBox just fried. I think the fan went out...I have no idea...all I know is that I have my windows wide open to let the smoke out of the room.

I'm seriously bummed.... It's dead.

Damn it!!!

DUDE!!!! That happened to mine around 7 months ago!!

Except when I told everyone on XBA they never belived me. For some reason they believe you though :rolleyes:

Kraft
03-18-2003, 01:54 AM
Good lord max, Didn't you see that xbox commercial?

Xbox: Great gaming machine. Great dvd player. Crappy beverage dispenser.

JJaX
03-18-2003, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by Liquid Gears
DUDE!!!! That happened to mine around 7 months ago!!

Except when I told everyone on XBA they never belived me. For some reason they believe you though :rolleyes:

Shouldnt you be in some greasy arcade now?

RudedogX
03-18-2003, 10:02 AM
Max...so did you get a new box?:confused:

Also...when are you free again to get on Live! We need to get you more into GR with the rest of the DDC!;)

JJaX
03-18-2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by rudedogX
Max...so did you get a new box?:confused:

Also...when are you free again to get on Live! We need to get you more into GR with the rest of the DDC!;)

Or maybe the DDC needs to get into more games....

Im down.

RudedogX
03-18-2003, 10:12 AM
True, true.

Mahlon
03-18-2003, 11:53 AM
I bet you had a ton of hours on it!

DZNUTZ
03-18-2003, 11:58 AM
rude...jjax...u totally miss my thread in the ddc underground or what?

RudedogX
03-18-2003, 11:59 AM
Nope, I just still can't get myself into that game.:D

DZNUTZ
03-18-2003, 12:32 PM
which one?
moto or unreal?

RudedogX
03-18-2003, 12:37 PM
Uh...I didn't see the UC one. I'll have to think about that, though I didn't really enjoy it the first time around. As for Moto...I just can't get into that game.

l Maximus l
03-18-2003, 03:53 PM
Well, dudes....first off, ChickenShhhhhhh....that was awesome! You are a crazy mudda fudda :D

Alright, dudes...I bought a new XBox...came with an S-Controller and all that jazz....I must say, it purs like a my wife.....it's nice :D hehe

It's wierd...it's so much quieter that my other XBox....I mean, my other one wasn't loud or anything....so, don't get me wrong, but, on my old one, you could hear it reading the disc and stuff. On this new one, I can hardly hear it at all. The drawer looks so much different, too. I guess that's part of the new drive that goes in the new XBoxes.

Now, I still have my old one...stinky as hell....and, I debated on returning it and stuff, but, the way I think about it is that it actually did give me some of the best memories of any console I've ever owned despite it burning up on me...literally. So, I decided to just take the loss financially and keep the gain of entertainment that it gave me. Sounds mushy, huh? Sure, that's because I'm addicted to the damn thing :D

As for what the Snoop man asked me....no, I didn't have anything saved on my hard-drive except for all of my Ghost Recon saves. So, everything is a loss...including over 100 music soundtracks and hundreds of game saves. I did, however, have the chance to recover my XBL account with the XBL Account Recovery option that the XBox provides. Clever, indeed.

So, in every negative, there is a positive....but, one thing is for sure, my house still stinks worse than a computer dork with B.O. that would make an onion run away. ( WTF? )

:D

No Fear 23
03-18-2003, 03:56 PM
lol maxy, glad u bought a new one

and to make ur broken xbox more useful, crack out the jewel on top of it to but ur beer in it. a nice cupholder. lol

gald everything is back to normal now :)

Snake Eyez
03-18-2003, 03:57 PM
Are you going to put the Xbox on a shelf now as a symbol of the amount of joy it caused you. You should at least take a picture of it and keep it in your wallet.

l Maximus l
03-18-2003, 04:01 PM
A few ideas are to roll around naked with it....other ideas are springing to mind ;)

Kortiz
03-18-2003, 04:12 PM
BORE A HOLE AND F*CK IT MAN!!!!!!!!!

when da wifey puts you on da couch some night!

or......make it into a beer holder

hold the beer you are on now and 5 other empty or full cans/bottles of beer! yeah that would be saweeeeet

or you can make a stool and have that be what you sit on?

or just take that mofo apart and play with the insides........be all like MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA on a rainy thunder/lightning night!

ooh ooh ooh, you could ummmmm try and take it back to wherever you bought it and claim that you almost died from the smoke and that they need to give you a new one!!!!!!! OR ELSE!!!! try it man try it!!!!

l Maximus l
03-18-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by ChickenSHHHH
[B]BORE A HOLE AND F*CK IT MAN!!!!!!!!!

I did that a week ago...it's burned out.

or......make it into a beer holder

Dude...been there...done that...and doing it with my new one, too :D

or you can make a stool and have that be what you sit on?

Dude!? What are you thinking!?!?!? I set my beer on it!! Beer bottle up dee ass?!?! Not cool, man...not cool :(

or just take that mofo apart and play with the insides........be all like MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA on a rainy thunder/lightning night!

You have a point there.....

:D

Kortiz
03-18-2003, 04:27 PM
well.......you could sell it to a *** man!

No Fear 23
03-18-2003, 04:28 PM
lol, do some pos2 fanboys bashing with ur xbox

Kortiz
03-18-2003, 04:32 PM
ooooooh yeah.......and put a baseball bat into it and use it as a hammer.....then make up a wrestling character for yourself to use when you and da wifey get..........freakydeaky

you could be da xboxlover or sompin........and be like that one guy that carried the 2x4 around. yours would be a baseball/xbox hitting machine!

WOOOOHOOOOOOOO!

yeah......