PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever attempted an Xbox fix?

Kraft
03-20-2003, 03:57 PM
Well, my friend's xbox just shot craps and won't read discs anymore and on top of that his warranty is out so he can't trade it in or anything. I figured since I have busted open practically every other console I've ever owned that I will see if I can't give it a try on the xbox and see if a little internal tweaking or cleaning can't solve the problem...

So has anyone else had this problem and attempted to remedy it themselves? I will probably learn it on the fly as to what I am doing, but it is always nice going in with at least a little base knowledge.

Insane Jester
03-20-2003, 04:27 PM
not sure what u mean by tweak or clean theres not really much u can tweak or clean in there .. more likely just shove a screwdriver around lol .. but no i havent ... dont think i would either ... i have no idea what to look at so waste of time in my eyes.

Kraft
03-20-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Insane Jester
not sure what u mean by tweak or clean theres not really much u can tweak or clean in there .. more likely just shove a screwdriver around lol .. but no i havent ... dont think i would either ... i have no idea what to look at so waste of time in my eyes.

Well, anything can be taken apart, dusted, connections checked, drives and gears lubed, laser tweaked. There is actually tons of stuff you can do inside a system, otherwise stores would have nothing to do as they couldn't fix systems either.

Variation-XBA
03-20-2003, 06:13 PM
Can always sell it "as parts" on ebay and put it towards your new one ;)

Kraft
03-20-2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Variation
Can always sell it "as parts" on ebay and put it towards your new one ;)

Possibly. I figured I'd try a repair first and maybe some other things before I totally give up on it.

MaxPain
03-20-2003, 08:25 PM
Can't you just do a wal mart switch?? hmm.. I have a friend who works at wal mart.. when his Xbox stopped reading discs.. and was giving him other errors. He bought another xbox. and took the old xbox back in the new box. and got a full refund. Hmmm.. maybe because he works there? not sure :)

Kraft
03-20-2003, 08:38 PM
That might work, but for one, neither of us have the 200 dollars to drop on an xbox and if it doesn't work, I don't want to be stuck with an xbox that I couldn't afford in the first place.

Highlite23
03-21-2003, 09:17 AM
Kraft, Check your PM;)

thedude
03-21-2003, 09:56 AM
Yea..my xbox is freezing up on xbl and offline:(

lol

Rancey
03-21-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by MaxPain
Can't you just do a wal mart switch?? hmm.. I have a friend who works at wal mart.. when his Xbox stopped reading discs.. and was giving him other errors. He bought another xbox. and took the old xbox back in the new box. and got a full refund. Hmmm.. maybe because he works there? not sure :)

As long as ya got the people skills you can switch consoles, controllers, games, whatever...just go up there as you would any purchase and they won't question ya...what do they care, it's not their money.

Spaztic
03-21-2003, 11:24 AM
I have hacked my box so I know all about its guts, I would suggest to either to try a dvd cleaner disk, or just swap hack the box and swap the dvd drive with a pc one.....more info at xbox-scene.com