PDA

View Full Version : Automatic or Manual????

Viper87227
03-20-2003, 06:43 PM
Just curiois... who races with manual and who races automatic?

I used to race auto but I am gunna be buying a car soon and its a stick and I havn't fully learned how to shift so I am gunna start on games to get a feel for it even tho games dont have a clutch or anything like that. :D

Ninja Scroll
03-20-2003, 06:46 PM
I dont race, but I got stick, but prefer auto.:cool:

carlbme
03-20-2003, 06:47 PM
When driving an actual car manuals are extremely easy (once you learn) and fun. In games manuals are usually hard as hell to master, but once you do you can own the game (or most online).

So I'm all for manual.

EDIT: I'm thinking about dropping a T56 transmission (6-speed manual) into my ride soon.

Kraft
03-20-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Viper87227

I used to race auto but I am gunna be buying a car soon and its a stick and I havn't fully learned how to shift so I am gunna start on games to get a feel for it even tho games dont have a clutch or anything like that. :D

Dude, you don't know acceleration until you've driven a stick. Seriously, I could beat you off the line in a v4 with a manual if you have a v6... well... depending on the car and tranny differential of course. There are some things that suck about manuals though. Most of them involve city driving and traffic jams.

Viper87227
03-20-2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Kraft-XBA
Dude, you don't know acceleration until you've driven a stick. Seriously, I could beat you off the line in a v4 with a manual if you have a v6... well... depending on the car and tranny differential of course. There are some things that suck about manuals though. Most of them involve city driving and traffic jams.

I live in the middle of farm country so thats not really an issue. EVeryone tells me a stick is fun but it looks confusing. Only two things about the car worry me 1. jamming the gears 2. having crap stolen from it (a soft top parked at a hic town high school for 8 hours a day... you do the math)

Snoopy7548
03-20-2003, 07:57 PM
lol. i owned cruisin usa when i was using the stick. lol. but i drive a stick. my dad is teaching me, im pretty good at it. im getting his truck in a few weeks i think. driving a stick is fun. but i havent learned how to do it on hills yet. lol. ive stalled like twice at traffic lights. it sucks. and one time, i was going to shift, and i didnt even push the clutch down, and i just shifted, lol. but it was fine. i cant really accelerate that fast in a stick. i think i accelerate faster in an automatic. because it takes me like 2 seconds to get the clutch down and shift, then bring it back up. i dont know, maybe as i use it more and more, ill get better and stuff. i havent driven it in a while.

TheChunkyMidget
03-20-2003, 08:12 PM
i would have to say auto for the simplicity but stick if you want speed

Variation-XBA
03-20-2003, 10:46 PM
Auto just cause... ;)

Reclaimer
03-20-2003, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Viper87227

Video game transmissions are by no means training for the real deal. The only game I have ever seen that had a transmission worth a damn was Atari's Hard Driving and Race Driving at the arcades. That's about as authentic as it gets. Racing with a manual transmission on Project Gotham Racing is not going to teach you anything.

As for this post, I always have, and always will drive a manual transmission. But, of course my wife will only drive an automatic. So when we bought our last car, I compromised and got one that had a sport transmissions. I can switch it over and shift it like a manual, but without a clutch. When my wife drives, she leaves it in the auto mode.

shrew king
03-20-2003, 11:03 PM
I drive an automatic, and use it in games too. I want to learn stick but only if I have a fast car. For trucks it is just easier to go with automatic. I have been driving a Jeep Cherokee since December and am really wanting something faster, so either I am going to put a V8 in it or I am going to save up and get a car.

Reclaimer
03-20-2003, 11:16 PM
Well the thing for me, is that I almost never use a manual trans in the game, because I shift by feel. I could care less about a tach, especially about an ingame tachometer. When I drive a car, I shift when I feel the car needs to. I can't feel anything while playing, so I lose the edge. It's really hard to explain. But it makes sense, at least to me.

You don't need a tach to tell you when to shift, and I really need to feel how the car when cornering to determine what gear I want. Of course, I like games that let me overide the tranmission, even though it's in automatic. Sometimes games are a little stingy in the powerband and get conservative when it downshifts in a corner. I'll drop an extra gear when I need it.

xboxmaster2002
03-21-2003, 12:48 AM
i race manual

Duke
03-21-2003, 02:33 AM
I think everyone should be required to take their DL's test in a manual. I had a buddy once who broke his leg while out hiking w/ his girlfriend.

She went to get help, but when she got back to the car just couldn't figure out the manual tranny because no one had ever taught her how to drive one. She then had to walk another mile or two out to a highway to flag someone down.

Fortuanately they were close to a major road and not way out in the boondocks.

SiGuy
03-21-2003, 10:11 AM
everyone should know how to drive a manual transmission. Just because its a good thing to know and its just that much more fun to drive. Only with a manual transmission can a car with four cylindas do a burnout. (or a heavily modded one). No matter what I prefer manual just because its more fun and better fuel economy

Insane Jester
03-21-2003, 11:29 AM
at the moment in real life driveing im useing auto just because the 2nd car i bought as a run around was auto .. but main car is stick or manual .. and i love raceing games and auto never enters my head its manual all the way ...

No Fear 23
03-21-2003, 02:01 PM
auto for me, but im not quick enough to use manual. o well

Spaztic
03-21-2003, 03:10 PM
I like manuals the best but since I drive though the city and heavy traffic everyday it just wasn't practical.

y2kash_14
03-22-2003, 05:59 PM
Manual for me, it's just much more fun than Auto, but when it comes to games, I always pick Auto just because it's easier to pick up

blonks
08-17-2005, 06:22 PM
auto for me now, because thats all i have

im learning the stick as we speak

George89
08-17-2005, 10:56 PM
auto for me. It's too much fuss to use manual i think :P

Ford Mustang
08-17-2005, 11:06 PM
lol...Why did you bump this old ass thread?

Ninjermy
08-18-2005, 10:11 AM
My question is why is this in XBOX discussion??