PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars: Galaxies The news we love to hate

MerimacHamwich
03-21-2003, 12:25 AM
Well, the PC version has been delayed to an unspecified date and thus the Xbox version has been as well. At least I think. However, seeing as it is an MMORPG this can only be heralded as good news. Ofcourse meaning that they are working out bugs in the system.
Linkiness. (http://www.gamesdomain.co.uk/news/9098.html)

XBOX MSSC
03-21-2003, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
Well, the PC version has been delayed to an unspecified date and thus the Xbox version has been as well. At least I think. However, seeing as it is an MMORPG this can only be heralded as good news. Ofcourse meaning that they are working out bugs in the system.
Linkiness. (http://www.gamesdomain.co.uk/news/9098.html)

What's this game about, i know it's hyped up but i don't know anything about it. :confused:

xboxman_1
03-21-2003, 08:30 AM
Its like a bunch of people playing as various characters from the star wars universe interacting and doing cool stuff. Its hard to explain....and when I say characters from the star wars universe, I mean they make their own character, you're not playing as Luke Skywalker.

XBOX MSSC
03-21-2003, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by xboxman_1
Its like a bunch of people playing as various characters from the star wars universe interacting and doing cool stuff. Its hard to explain....and when I say characters from the star wars universe, I mean they make their own character, you're not playing as Luke Skywalker.

In other word's it's like the sims online, but Star Wars style ?

MerimacHamwich
03-21-2003, 10:50 AM
It is an entirely user driven gaming galaxy. The economy, infrastructure, government and everything you can think of is run by the players. It is based on the Star Wars universe.

Players can choose to be any race from Star Wars they want. They can also choose any profession. Now, don't get me wrong. You cannot choose to be a Jedi. That is not a profession. You have to have the ability, so to speak, to become a Jedi. If your character does not have that special thing that all Jedi's have in the first place, then you cannot train to become one. Players are given the opportunity to be a Jedi at random. It is also a rare event to be endowed with the ability to become a Jedi.

Another really cool thing is that there is either 9 or 3 (I forget which) worlds the size of Everquest to explore and play in. I also believe there is space exploration, not too sure about this but I am think it is in there.

Basically, this is going to be the ultimate open ended MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game).
:)

JJaX
03-21-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by XBOX MSSC
In other word's it's like the sims online, but Star Wars style ?

More like morrowind, but the NPCs are real people doing there own thing.

And you can join the rebel alliance or empire etc....

If all goes as planned, it should be any star wars fans dream come true.

symposiumx
03-21-2003, 12:01 PM
Players are given the opportunity to be a Jedi at random.

I like that it's relatively difficult to become (AND STAY) a jedi.

How long does it take to realize that your character has the ESSENCE to become a Jedi?

I think that if its something that you find out soon in the game, it will make a lot of people restart, just to try for a Jedi Character.

This game looks amazing to me. I drool in my sleep thinking about the days I can play this ;)

MerimacHamwich
03-21-2003, 12:12 PM
I am not sure about when you find out if your character has the Jedi essence. Here (http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/) is where you can find out though.

-edit-
Here (http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/features/faq_pages/faq_6.jsp) more specifically.

-edit-edit-
Well i read through the JEDI faqs and it is quite clear to me how the Jedi system works now. You must create a regular character and throught the actions or inactions you take with that character you may unlock a Jedi slot. You can then create a Jedi character. Now, don't get me wrong, those actions are not the same for everybody nor will they be obvious.

Jedi Knights live extremely difficult lives and when they die, they "permadie." Meaning the character is deleted. You can still use your unlocked slot (only one per account) but your old Jedi is no more. If you reach Jedi Master status your character does not die. They become "blue glowies."

As well Jedi must create thier own lightsaber, as in the movies. You can use other peoples lightsabers if you wish but you will be much less proficient with it.

That is all I will comment on. You can read everything else at the links I posted.

symposiumx
03-21-2003, 12:33 PM
I am not sure about when you find out if your character has the Jedi essence. Here (http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/) is where you can find out though.

-edit-
Here (http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/features/faq_pages/faq_6.jsp) more specifically.

from the above site they have this to say on how a Jedi is created:

Your main character does not become a Jedi. Rather, the actions of your main character can unlock an additional character slot which is Force-sensitive. Characters created in this additional slot can then advance through the Jedi skills as well as any of the other skills in the game. Each player account allows for only one potential Jedi slot and the mysterious method to unlock it won't be the same for every player.

That leads me to think that you have to create a player...play X amount of time in the game world (plus doing 'secret' things), and then you open a 'option' on your 'account' that allows your character to become a Jedi?

I am confused. I don't feel the answer in the FAQ was complete/clear. Did I interprupt that correctly?

MerimacHamwich
03-21-2003, 12:36 PM
I edited my post.

Basically, the slot you unlock is another character slot (1 jedi slot per account) in which you create another character. That character is force sensitive, meaning that s/he can become a Jedi. From there you have to take the usual route a Jedi has to take in the movies. IE: Find a Jedi to take you in as a Padwan etc.

symposiumx
03-21-2003, 12:47 PM
I edited my post.

Basically, the slot you unlock is another character slot (1 jedi slot per account) in which you create another character. That character is force sensitive, meaning that s/he can become a Jedi. From there you have to take the usual route a Jedi has to take in the movies. IE: Find a Jedi to take you in as a Padwan etc.

well..Padwans are suppose to be little kids, not adults..but I guess we cant be 100% technical about it. (too bad)

I am really wanting the aspect such as having Player 1 being a bounty hunter, sent on a "mission" by NPC or Player 2 to track down Player 3...and collect or "collect" ;)

scenerios like that would truly make the game unbelivably addictive.

*still drooling*

MerimacHamwich
03-21-2003, 12:57 PM
Yeah, the game is going to be amazing. The fees are what have me wavering.

symposiumx
03-21-2003, 01:02 PM
Yeah, the game is going to be amazing. The fees are what have me wavering.

how much are the fees?

hell..I'm going to get broadband and XBL just for this game.

Evil_Dr_Beefy
03-21-2003, 01:02 PM
Yeah, it's cool..i kind of saw the delay coming, but i got high hopes for this one....

MerimacHamwich
03-21-2003, 01:04 PM
I don't even know if there are going to be fees. I am just speculating that there most likely will be. I do not know of any MMORPG to date that doesn't have fee's but if this one doesn't, you can bet it will be the most popular. I would expect them to be about 5-10$ USD a month. Which is very justified because constant maintenance of the servers and the online Universe is needed. I just don't know if I can justify spending that money on games.

JJaX
03-21-2003, 01:20 PM
I edited my post.

No you slow bastage...

Sympo was correct. You have to do some secret daunting tasks to become force sensitive. Once you have that "ability" you can begin to train. Training takes years to become a jedi.

You dont become force sensitive and create another character, thats the stupidest theory ive ever heard....ever.

Read the forums on the offical site for more info....

http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/starwars_qu_boards.html

and here

symposiumx
03-21-2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by JJaX
No you slow bastage...

Sympo was correct. You have to do some secret daunting tasks to become force sensitive. Once you have that "ability" you can begin to train. Training takes years to become a jedi.

You dont become force sensitive and create another character, thats the stupidest theory ive ever heard....ever.

Read the forums on the offical site for more info....

In hamwich's defense, the FAQ was a little hard to read at times. I actually had to edit my post because I had my head up my arse.

JJaX
03-21-2003, 01:34 PM
Ya after reading the forums im still a tad confused. Ma bad merhamiwhichmcnuggeter....

But i still think opening a Force sensitive (FS) "character slot" is a stupid idea....

Read the forums i posted. Im sure the answer is tehre. Im to lazy.

JJaX
03-21-2003, 01:43 PM
Haden Blackman, Producer at Lucas Arts
SOURCE: http://pc.ign.com/articles/389/389688p1.html

Now, he states Jedi will have a formula.

Haden Blackman: Basically, becoming a Jedi is meant to be a major achievement in the game. Without giving away too much, by achieving specific things in the game with one character, you can basically unlock a second, "Force Sensitive" character slot on that same server. We're not revealing how this second character slot is achieved (although I'm sure players are going to figure it out, probably more quickly than we anticipate,and post the "secret" online). Your Jedi character lives in a world of constant danger, and when a Jedi dies, he's permanently dead (your other characters will respawn at a cloning facility). Jedi are also targets for NPCs
and potentially other players. This will make surviving as a Jedi long enough to advance to Jedi Knight or Jedi
Master status very difficult.

We know that players are going to master the Jedi system eventually, and that's probably fine as the servers
mature. However, at least initially, we really wanted Jedi to be scarce both to serve continuity and design.
During this time period, there aren't very many Jedi out in the galaxy, so it didn't feel right to have most of
the player base become Jedi (which would be the case if Jedi were a starting option or even moderately easy
to obtain in-game). We also didn't want to "dumb down" Jedi in order to balance them against other types of
characters. Jedi are portrayed in the films (especially the prequels) as incredibly powerful and skilled. We knew
that Jedi didn't necessarily need to start out as formidable as the film Jedi, but they needed the potential to
become that powerful. So, they need to be rare so they don't completely unbalance the game. Finally, we
really wanted a significant goal for players to achieve in the game, something that might be considered the
pinnacle of achievement. Becoming a Jedi Master is going to be both difficult and rewarding, and I imagine
that playing as a Jedi character will become part of the elder game. in the slightest.

JJaX
03-21-2003, 01:44 PM
So you were right merhamwhcihmncnuggeter...

I bow to your knowledge. :D

MerimacHamwich
03-21-2003, 02:19 PM
I take no offense from your previous statements young Padawan.
:D

JJaX
03-21-2003, 05:44 PM
16 imn dev chat...

mms://a1019.m.akastream.net/7/1019/5372/1/gamespot.download.akamai.com/5372/netshow/gslive/100k/galaxies_pc32003_vi.asf

shrew king
03-21-2003, 07:20 PM
I hate that there are fees for the game, cause it sounds absolutely amazing.