PDA

View Full Version : MS slashes Jap Xbox Operation

Casper
03-22-2003, 09:15 PM
The Japanese arm of Microsoft's Xbox division is to see personnel reductions across the board, as the console continues to struggle in the Far East - but the company denies any scaling back of the Xbox operation itself in the territory.

The headcount of the 200-person strong division will be cut by 34, with reductions affecting personnel in both marketing and production. The company claims that these changes are being made to improve the profitability of the business.

It's not clear whether the departments affected are purely related to the sales, distribution and promotion of Xbox in Japan, or whether development personnel will also be hit. The main title created by Microsoft's Japanese division, Kakuto Chojin, has been withdrawn from release overseas - due to potentially offensive religious content, if Microsoft is to be believed, although most commentators suspect that the critical and commercial pasting the game received in Japan may have something to do with the decision as well.

To date, Tecmo's Dead or Alive and Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball titles remain the only real success stories on the Xbox in Japan. The console has not yet reached 400,000 units sold in the territory, according to figures quoted by the Nihon Keizai Shimbun newspaper today.

Although Microsoft strongly denies that it is terminating or scaling back its Xbox operations in the Far East, this is almost certainly how the story will be interpreted by analysts - with the scaling back of the unsuccessful division being seen as a tacit admission that Xbox is dead in the water in Japan.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=pub&aid=1406

JR Alberda
03-22-2003, 09:18 PM
The Japanese dont like Halo or what? That game almost makes it good enough to get. Those f'in J's are way too hardcore into all that anime and stuff. They dont like anything else.

MerimacHamwich
03-22-2003, 09:23 PM
Japanese gamers don't actually like to play games. They like to watch them. Being led by the hand through storylnies and gameplay as if you were a 2 year old is what appeals to them. If its not linear, its no good. They are the complete opposite of North American gamers, except that they like naked women.

They have horrible taste. (imo)

Casper
03-22-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
They are the complete opposite of North American gamers, except that they like naked women.

They have horrible taste. (imo)

Ummm...dude, I don't know about you, but I'm a North American gamer, and I LOVE naked women, as long as they're not ya know...big.

Man, way to make me think twice about you :confused:

canadianboi3
03-23-2003, 12:35 AM
Yea I agree with Casper. There like us in the naked aspect, but I've heard nasty things about them, such as there are vending machines that sell dirty panties:(

Variation-XBA
03-23-2003, 01:23 AM
Back in the day of PSX, Ive seen some pretty odd imports...cant think of the names though :P lol.. but as said, generally yes, in that area, "odd" games here, do well over there.

DIGITAL
03-23-2003, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by canadianboi3
Yea I agree with Casper. There like us in the naked aspect, but I've heard nasty things about them, such as there are vending machines that sell dirty panties:( you ever see a bukkake film, there just sick:confused:

MerimacHamwich
03-23-2003, 02:28 AM
The point of my statement was to say that Japanese gamers are tottally opposite of North American gamers except that we both like the naked women. I thought it was quite clear. I guess the statement I made last confused the whole thing though.