Integra Man
12-01-2001, 06:51 PM
Will we ever be able to burn X-Box games

MaxPain
12-01-2001, 07:48 PM
Hope not :D

Skyboxer
12-01-2001, 09:11 PM
You planning on stealing from the people who worked hard bringing us games?

Hugh_Jass
12-01-2001, 10:50 PM
Pirates are lame.

Integra Man
12-02-2001, 08:49 AM
Well Yes

In canada we get ripped off
$100 for a game 100 bucks. Man i'll go broke.

MagicChicken
12-02-2001, 10:01 AM
you mean $80 (the average game costs about $70)

I pay for the games I like so the developper will keep on making great games...

Rancey
12-02-2001, 10:03 AM
I don't know what the conversion rate is but I am sure if you actually work it out you will see you don't get ripped off and pay ~ the same as US.

Jason1010
12-02-2001, 10:11 AM
Some one will find a way soon enough... And then (assuming my friend gets an xbox) ill be burning plenty of 'em :D

Snoopy7548
12-02-2001, 06:45 PM
yea, they'll be burning them soon, on irc, there are alot of xbox channels, and right now theyre trying to figure out how to rip them, theyre gonna be using regular cd-rw's, i asked how they would fit it, and they said they would use compression.

sinizuh
12-02-2001, 06:55 PM
conversion rate for Halo

American: $49.99
American 2 Canadian: $78.64
How much sinizuh paid for Halo: $68.99
How much that would be in US: $43.85

soo... we get it for cheaper :D

SciFi
12-02-2001, 06:59 PM
People like you made DC go out of Biz...

Xboxmaster2001
12-02-2001, 09:46 PM
you can never burn xbox games and if you can burn xbox games which you cant then you will be able to burn GC games too right

Jason1010
12-02-2001, 10:26 PM
i dont know of any equipment that could burn little cds but i bet u could find some somehow...

sinizuh
12-02-2001, 11:38 PM
Jason1010, sony digital cameras burn images to mini cdrs :D

btw, the only reason people burn games is that the current games on the market are not worth $60-80 (canadian). the current games are short and somewhat boring. remember the good old days when games took longer to pass and were fun?

hell, i could have rented Halo and passed it in 3 days.

the only games that are actually worth the money they want are RPGs (cause they usually take a long time) or games that are online... i paid $30 for Half Life and i've been playing it nearly everyday for the past 2-3 years (maybe cause of Mods and updates...)

l Maximus l
12-03-2001, 12:34 PM
I have a nephew that found a way to burn XBox games successfully. I told him to throw them away...it's stealing and he should not be allowed to do it. I told him that I would be really disappointed in him if he decided to use them for his own...that just about "killed" him...lol...he threw them away right after that! Good kid.

Snoopy7548
12-03-2001, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by SciFi
People like you made DC go out of Biz...

actually, people like us didnt, the most pirated game system is the psx, i have almost 200 copied games for the psx, and that system has been in business for a long time, if dc went out of business, it wasnt because of pirating, it was because sega didnt get enough third party support, and because ps2 came out like months or something after dc came out

BlaZeR2
12-03-2001, 04:21 PM
This is just my opinion - take it for what it is worth.

I in no way support pirating XBOX games or any games for that matter. But I honestly think that the ability to copy and burn games for the playstation is what made it so successful. Most games are not worth $45 or $50. Once people found a way to cheaply get a ton of games the market for PSX began to go through the roof. why else would a system continue to out sell a next generation console (Dreamcast)? because you could go to Blockbuster and copy 5 games for the price of buying 1 at retail. This ultimately led to a higher number of playstation consoles being sold. Sure Sony "tried" to stop it from happening. they started putting mod chip detection into some games. But how many games actually had this feature? 4 or 5?

If they wanted or needed to stop it, they could have dumped a ton of money at it, and it would have been gone. But they realized that sold a lot of systems.

This is just my opinion, not wanting to start a war. And no, I don't want the xbox to play copied games like the PSX. I want the xbox developers to continue to make high quality games, and I will continue to pay for them....

BlaZeR2

l Maximus l
12-03-2001, 04:29 PM
Blazer...I understand your reasoning...but, the thing is, Microsoft loses money for every console they put out. I mean, for what we all get for $299.99 is like practically robbing Microsoft. We get a 733 mg processor, 8 gig hard drive, and on-line broadband built in...not to mention a 16 bit DVD player (16 bit is not too shabby considering that it is a gaming console).

The games is where Microsoft makes their money. To stamp out a DVD game, it costs Microsoft no more that $3 each to produce.

BlaZeR2
12-03-2001, 04:53 PM
don't get me wrong, I understand that logic too. But MS isn't "losing money" on every box they sell. Let me do some math....Say MS spent $5,000,000,000 to develop and build the xbox. Then figure they will only be able to sell 12,500,000 Xbox units throughout the life of the box. they would have to charge $400 a unit to get the return on their investment. But, nobody would want to pay $400 a unit, so they lowered the cost of the unit to only $300. so if they only sell 12,500,000 units, they will be losing about $1,250,000,000 on the entire program. BUT - and this is a big BUT....

what if MS sells 25,000,000 units? at $300 a unit? that is a gross of $7,500,000,000. That is a $2,500,000,000 profit. So it isn't fair to say they lose $100 on every box they sell. Because if you break the components down, there is not $300 worth of electronics in each box. The statement about them losing money comes from MS putting SO much money forward in the beginning to develop and build, and buyout developers and advertise and all the behind the scenes stuff.

Disclaimer: I made these numbers up. Please do not take them for actual data. Also, this is my interpretation. There may actually be over $300 of components in every box (although I highly doubt it). This post is for pure converstation.

BlaZeR2
P.S. MS doesn't actually produce the majority of the games (although the company may be partly owned by MS). MS gets royalties for allowing developers to make games for it. MS would hardly ever get to pocket the $47 profit from selling a game.

l Maximus l
12-03-2001, 05:22 PM
lol, Blazer...I wasn't looking to debate, but...I guess, here I go :D

It has been widely publicized that Microsoft is losing money on each console...I think they said $150 per console. If you really think about it, it makes a lot of sense. Their business strategy is to profit off the games which, of course, has a huge return. I agree that Microsoft won't get a lot of the money from the sales from 3rd party companies, but, pretty much anything will be a profit to them.

An 8 gig hard drive is not that innexpensive, with the additions of built in on-line broadband, 733 meg processor, and a Nvidia video card including all of the other goodies and it easily comes up to $450.00. So, the way I see it, there is no way to justify pirating, eventhough I see that is not your intentions, which I respect.

To me, with all the labor put into these games, I gladly fork over my measly $50 to satisfy my gaming craze :D

GZBX
12-03-2001, 06:23 PM
Why are we even talking about burning games after only a month of it being out? Hell, at least wait a few months for them to make more games. Yes, i'd accept a burned game, but i wouldnt burn one myself.