PDA

View Full Version : XBOX Lite a reality, NOT Rumor!

chewy_fett
03-24-2003, 09:38 AM
I was talking to the owner of a local video game store over the weekend. We were discussing accessories, and third party accessory support. He said that they just received word from Microsoft that the DVD Kits would trickle to close to none. The reason for this is Microsoft will be releasing XBOX LITE at E3.

From what he said, it will be roughly the size of a Sega Dreamcast and will no longer have a built in hard-drive, but will have built in DVD playback support.

The main reason for this move his it will cost substantially less to manufacture.

The best part is, he said they will retail for $99! No more free game though.

RudedogX
03-24-2003, 09:50 AM
I'll believe it when there is an official announcement at E3 or something. Until then...it is still a rumor.:rolleyes:

JJaX
03-24-2003, 10:21 AM
Its possible, but never believe anything those clowns say. :rolleyes:

Ive had game store employees tell me

- The GR add on Island thunder isnt real, because its not in the computer.

- Xbox will have DOA characters in soul calibur 2.

You get the point....I just dont feel the need to argue with them. Because they're dumb.

LynxFX
03-24-2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by chewy_fett
will no longer have a built in hard-drive
That was all you had to say to know that this is FAKE! The games wouldn't work without a harddrive since they are coded to cache to it. Let alone custom sound tracks, downloads, game saves.

Xbox Lite may be coming but with the specs you said, no way.

MerimacHamwich
03-24-2003, 12:19 PM
I was talking to the owner of a local video game store over the weekend. We were discussing accessories, and third party accessory support. He said that they just received word from Microsoft that the DVD Kits would trickle to close to none. The reason for this is Microsoft will be releasing XBOX LITE at E3.

From what he said, it will be roughly the size of a Sega Dreamcast and will no longer have a built in hard-drive, but will have built in DVD playback support.

The main reason for this move his it will cost substantially less to manufacture.

The best part is, he said they will retail for $99! No more free game though.
I extremely doubt they would take out the harddrive. That would leave some Xbox games unplayable. I think what you heard is a rumour, expecially seeing as the harddrives aren't that large, nor do they up the price much.

Casper
03-24-2003, 12:26 PM
Hell, for the hard drive, it could be the same size that they use for laptops...no space at all really. And they won't get rid of it, like the others said, due to it's necessity for storage and it's huge selling point so you won't need memory cards.

Btw, helluva first post :rolleyes:

Cyclone
03-24-2003, 03:41 PM
Not to mention that if you dropped the hd, in a lot of games like SegaGT 2002 you wouldnt be able to save your game anymore. They wont let you save directly to memory cards, you have to save to the hard drive and then use the Xbox menu to transfer the save to the memorycard. That's the only way

XBOX Dude
03-24-2003, 03:46 PM
that's why you don't talk to the people at the store they have a ton of bs rumors, all they do is talk all day about games and evetually they have to keep coming up with discussion topics so there gonna start bsing it's just a matter of time

wweomaniac
03-24-2003, 04:57 PM
yup, the hardraive part didn't click with me. I don't believe it either, b/c this is noe feature that differentiates xbox from the other consoles.

I myself believe that xbox lite is just going to be a smaller version of the xbox with the same features.

SiGuy
03-24-2003, 04:59 PM
Hey not all game store employees are bad. I watched one of em give a ps2 owner ****.... pretty funny. This thing is going to take a dive even if it comes out. The whole reason I bought XBOX was because of the built in hard drive. Also, why would someone buy this when they get 100 some dollars worth of games when they buy the original. One word... crash

Snake Eyez
03-24-2003, 05:34 PM
I smell something in this thread coming from chewy's direction.:eek:

l Maximus l
03-24-2003, 05:38 PM
XBox Lite does not come with a hard-drive. Well, according to those that have less than 10 posts ;)

chewy_fett
03-24-2003, 09:20 PM
Man, you guys must like ripping into someone that you don't agree with, huh? The guy I talked to was not a pimple faced employee, he owns the place, hence the reason I believe him.

The entire issue with the hard drive is a moot point in my opinion. I am not an engineer, and I think it is a safe bet that no one else waxing poetic with their "witty" smart ass comments are either.

That said, you don't know for a fact that the hard drive will be retained just as I don't know for a fact that it will be scraped.

It does sound completely logical that a smaller HDD could be used, and that may be the way it goes.

I smell something in this thread coming from chewy's direction.

What does that mean?? I was simply relaying information that I thought would be pertinent to these boards. So, because I have no post count, and you don't personally agree with me, I'm shrugged off? I will never understand this concept, completely alien to me.

PapaSKooT
03-24-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA
XBox Lite does not come with a hard-drive. Well, according to those that have less than 10 posts ;)

exactly... never trust people with less than 10 posts, its the XBA way! :cool:

ShannonX
03-24-2003, 09:40 PM
Man, you guys must like ripping into someone that you don't agree with, huh? The guy I talked to was not a pimple faced employee, he owns the place, hence the reason I believe him.

The entire issue with the hard drive is a moot point in my opinion. I am not an engineer, and I think it is a safe bet that no one else waxing poetic with their "witty" smart ass comments are either.

That said, you don't know for a fact that the hard drive will be retained just as I don't know for a fact that it will be scraped.

It does sound completely logical that a smaller HDD could be used, and that may be the way it goes.

What does that mean?? I was simply relaying information that I thought would be pertinent to these boards. So, because I have no post count, and you don't personally agree with me, I'm shrugged off? I will never understand this concept, completely alien to me.

hahah, if it doesnt have a harddrive its not an xbox. Actually, it would be a PS2 (or GC), hmmm, never thought of that before.

and yes, you MUST have a harddrive for alot of the games to work. Its hardcoded into the games code to cache data on the harddrive for quicker retrieval, doing away with the harddrive would just create games that didn't work or worked so poorly there would be no reason to play the games. There is no debate, its called FACT.

MerimacHamwich
03-24-2003, 09:42 PM
Exactly, no harddrive means no Xbox. It would be a completely different system. The harddrive is needed to play most games.

ARONO129
03-24-2003, 09:48 PM
Hi Chewy welcome. Don't get the wrong idea. Most people here are really nice. The way I see it you were just mentioning something you heard about the Xbox Lite. Nothing offensive about what you posted.

Viper87227
03-25-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by PapaShaddix
exactly... never trust people with less than 10 posts, its the XBA way! :cool:

hmmm kinda funny seeing as how at one point you also had less than 10 posts. Did you not trust yourself during that rough patch of your life? ;)

l Maximus l
03-25-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Viper87227
hmmm kinda funny seeing as how at one point you also had less than 10 posts. Did you not trust yourself during that rough patch of your life? ;)

You betcha! And, at one time, I was an idiot as well :D

Viper87227
03-25-2003, 04:14 PM
You betcha! And, at one time, I was an idiot as well :D

I thought you were always an idiot... Haha j/k :D

oh and i forgot to mention b4 that an xbox w/o a hard drive would also meen bad things for any XBL games with DL content

l Maximus l
03-25-2003, 04:21 PM
Blinx sure would be an *interesting* game without a hard-drive :o

Xtopia
03-25-2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Snake Eyez
I smell something in this thread coming from chewy's direction.:eek:

Exactly! He is suffering from the 'ol "less then ten posts syndrome." It's a shame.

Viper87227
03-25-2003, 04:26 PM
Blinx sure would be an *interesting* game without a hard-drive :o

point and laugh if you must but why?

I would guess that it has to do witht he whole rewind the game thing or whatever but thats just a guess since I really dont know anything about this game other than you play as a cat and can do weird things with time

ImmortalTech
03-25-2003, 06:03 PM
that would be crazy if they did that

ARONO129
05-27-2003, 10:50 AM
I was bored today so I contacted Xbox support to ask them when Xbox Lite is coming out. The rep told me that they have no info on Xbox Lite and IF it does exist then it would be in development and they have no onformation on that. I think it's either BS or a long time from hitting the shelves.

Kraft
05-27-2003, 10:54 AM
As much as I hate old bumps, this is a good one... as it is always funny viewing the after effects of rampant rumors :)

Just in case anyone is confused, Xbox Lite was NOT unveiled at e3 this year, and no plans for it were announced.

RudedogX
05-27-2003, 11:05 AM
That's why it was bumped! I was like, damn that's an old thread! But yeah, it is funny how this was rumored and hyped and nothing came of it. I'm kinda glad they're keeping the XBox the way it is though.

vman
05-27-2003, 02:11 PM
with out a built-in hard drive... you'll need memory card. that sux

LynxFX
05-27-2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by vman
with out a built-in hard drive... you'll need memory card. that sux
No, without a harddrive you would have a doorstop in the shape of an Xbox.

The harddrive has many more uses beyond saving games and storing some music.

Cyclone
05-27-2003, 07:18 PM
Meh, I don't really care about the Xbox Lite. I'm pretty happy with my big ol dont fit on the entertainment center 8lb child injuring small animal killing Xbox. With the Xbox I know that if the house ever cathes on fire, I can toss it through....the front door and take out the entire thing or if somebody breaks in I'm sure tossing my Xbox at the robbers head will crack his skull. The Xbox has many different uses. Entertainment and home safety. I'd like to see somebody beat a robber to death with a Playstation 2...Aint gonna happen!

l Maximus l
05-27-2003, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Cyclone
Meh, I don't really care about the Xbox Lite. I'm pretty happy with my big ol dont fit on the entertainment center 8lb child injuring small animal killing Xbox. With the Xbox I know that if the house ever cathes on fire, I can toss it through....the front door and take out the entire thing or if somebody breaks in I'm sure tossing my Xbox at the robbers head will crack his skull. The Xbox has many different uses. Entertainment and home safety. I'd like to see somebody beat a robber to death with a Playstation 2...Aint gonna happen!

hehe...great post! :D

Cyclone
05-28-2003, 03:15 AM

hehe...great post! :D

Yeah, wish more people would have read it though ~hint~

Casper
05-28-2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Cyclone

:rofl: nice one...keep em coming

Dream Theater
05-28-2003, 08:57 AM
Why do people think V-Game store owners are so involved or smart when it comes to gaming. All alot of them are are just petty crooks looking to take advantage of kids and the uninformed public. I don't even believe you anyways. And if he did tell you that, then he just lost alot of money on selling Xboxes. They would want to get rid of that inventory so fast your head would spin. I think we have a PS2 fanboy lurking around in the forums.:eek:

Waterspout
05-28-2003, 09:51 AM
Most of the EB and GameStop employees are pretty cool and are very well informed. Most of them that I have talked to are Xbox users and have helped me out in choosing games that I would like. There are those who have no clue when seperating rumor from fact though, and it sounds like you talked to one of those.

aj142
05-28-2003, 12:14 PM
All I had to see was "lite" to know I don't care either way. Why do people get excited about less of something you love? "Lite"?? The only time I want to see "lite" is on my beer.

Diddy
05-28-2003, 01:40 PM
I read something about this in XBox Nation or some magazine if that is even a real magazine, anyways i forget, but what he says is true, the "Specs" of the XBox Lite, but there was no official confermation that it was coming out.

In the XBN article it said that there woud be a Built In DVD drive with a reciever built into the disc tray. IT would look something like a smaller Alienware PC on its side. No big deal, but i dont remember it saying that there was NO HDD. I also dont remember it being called XBox Lite, i remember it being called XBox 2

Leviathon
05-28-2003, 02:03 PM
People reporting that the new xbox or xbox lite will have no hard drive are people who are jealous because the PS2 and GC did not and would love to see the Xbox come without one.

Trento52
05-28-2003, 08:12 PM
i love what i have now why would they make a crappy version of xbox. I know that it would save money manufactoring and stuff but that is stupid. I heard ps2 is making a new model with more stuff built in instead of buying add-ons but all xbox needs is really the built in receiver for the playback remote if you know what i mean. Fanboys really just can't find anything wrong with xbox except it's size, so what rather have a hummer than a rusting old volkswagon(ps2). I would like to see what xbox 2 would lbe like but then that means the end of the original xbox unless you could still play old xbox games on the secong xbox.

bretman1234
05-28-2003, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Trento52
i love what i have now why would they make a crappy version of xbox. I know that it would save money manufactoring and stuff but that is stupid. I heard ps2 is making a new model with more stuff built in instead of buying add-ons but all xbox needs is really the built in receiver for the playback remote if you know what i mean. Fanboys really just can't find anything wrong with xbox except it's size, so what rather have a hummer than a rusting old volkswagon(ps2). I would like to see what xbox 2 would lbe like but then that means the end of the original xbox unless you could still play old xbox games on the secong xbox.

Good point, about the size of the xbox. I just laugh when people come back at me with "well the xbox is so huge, IT WEIGHS LIKE A MILLION BAJILLION POUNDS!" I just encourage iT! cuz it just means that the only thing that they can find wrong with the xbox is it size! lol. And they think they are gettin on my nerves..... :rofl:

sabca
05-28-2003, 09:11 PM
I honestly don't think it's that big. I mean granted it's a bit bigger than the other consoles, I still don't even think it's THAT much bigger than a PS2, but it's pretty much the same size as a VCR.

Big Boss
05-29-2003, 04:34 PM
they wouldn't realease a non hard drive xbox because its its strongest asset DURP!

Viper87227
05-29-2003, 09:03 PM
i don;t mind the size of the xbox one bit, but on the other hand the curved top in annoying as all get out. I have a DC, a GC, a PS2, and Xbox....and since you cannot stack ne think on the xbox due to the curved top, i hae the DC and the GC crammed on top of my PS2

:cuss:

chewy_fett
03-24-2006, 07:01 PM
OHH YEAH!!!

SWEEET!

Man, three years ago I posted this! Goes to show that when a console is at it's height of popularity, rumors abound from everyone and all sources.

The owner was BuyRite Games, now bankrupt and several criminal charges pending if anyone is curious. I think they are still pending. Anyhoo, this is funny at any rate!

:hump:

SPARTAN VI
03-24-2006, 08:37 PM
OHH YEAH!!!

SWEEET!

Man, three years ago I posted this! Goes to show that when a console is at it's height of popularity, rumors abound from everyone and all sources.

The owner was BuyRite Games, now bankrupt and several criminal charges pending if anyone is curious. I think they are still pending. Anyhoo, this is funny at any rate!

:hump:

:rofl:

Awesome thread.. Got Rude.. JJax.. Casper... Maxy... half the DDC right here. :)

ll Mista GT ll
03-24-2006, 08:57 PM
I know :( The good old days.

bretman1234
03-24-2006, 09:39 PM
Wow that is pretty old. I deffinately don't remember this one.

pjh13
03-24-2006, 11:57 PM
wow i actually remember reading this thread. thats ****in wierd i cant remember anything form yesterday but i remember reading this thread from like 3 years ago and ****. I blame weed it has ruined my life haha.

SPARTAN VI
03-25-2006, 01:44 AM
I know :( The good old days.

Oct 2004? Like you were around for the "good ol days." :p

TheCovenant
03-25-2006, 03:10 PM

pwnt.

ll Mista GT ll
03-25-2006, 04:42 PM

I watched the forums around '03. My parents said I was too young to join :(

thatdude222
03-25-2006, 05:25 PM
My parents said I was too young to join :( :rofl: thats hilarious.

ll Mista GT ll
03-25-2006, 06:02 PM
:rofl: thats hilarious.

Yeah, COPPA is really funny. :sleeping:

TheCovenant
03-25-2006, 06:26 PM
I watched the forums around '03. My parents said I was too young to join :(

double pwnt!

BuLLsEyEWTF
03-25-2006, 07:43 PM
Wait.. How old are you right now? anything over 14 and i'm gonna be disapointed.

Oh yah i almost forgot

*Points and laughs @ XFK

thatdude222
03-25-2006, 07:57 PM
hes 13.

CrazyCougar
03-29-2006, 08:29 AM
There is only one thing I would believe out of the rumor and thats the $99 thing. BUT, i truly believe you will see the ORIGINAL Xbox going for $99 after E3. They will try to get a boost on sales of the Xbox, while still mainly focusing on the 360. The Xbox still has to compete with the PS2, as the PS2 life cycle isnt even close to being over yet.

Just cause the guy is a store owner does not give him any validity whatsoever. It just makes him look dumber than his employees when he says things like this. Being a store owner does not get you any more information in the industry than being a store mamager.