PDA

View Full Version : Pirates of the Caribbean - out this summer!!!

Master Gracey
03-27-2003, 04:55 PM
This sounds promising for us RPG fans... :D

"Bethesda Softworks to Publish Pirates of the Caribbean Game
RPG-at-Sea to Coincide With Movie Release This Summer

March 27, 2003 (Rockville, MD) - Bethesda Softworks® and Disney Interactive today announced that Bethesda Softworks will publish a Pirates of the Caribbean video game for the Xbox(tm) video game system from Microsoft, PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, and PC CD-ROM. Inspired by one of this summer's most anticipated blockbusters, the game will bring swashbuckling adventures and rich worlds to Xbox and PC this June, and to PlayStation 2 at a later date.

Featuring stunning graphics, deep role-playing elements and thrilling quests, the Pirates of the Caribbean game offers players the unique opportunity to prove their mettle against the legendary buccaneers of the Caribbean.

'The Pirates of the Caribbean game transports players to the 17th Century where they can experience life as a pirate in any way they see fit,' said executive producer Todd Vaughn. 'Whether they want to be feared by all and welcome nowhere, or just enjoy compelling missions or a life at sea, we're creating a game that fits their gameplay style.'

The Pirates of the Caribbean video game is a unique role-playing experience with an intriguing storyline and the ability to explore everything the world has to offer. Deciding to become a cold-hearted mercenary for hire, a peaceful and profitable merchant or a swashbuckling pirate will influence future interactions. Gaining wealth and experience gives players the opportunity to hire crewmembers, sail larger ships, and uncover priceless treasures.

Players will enjoy advanced AI, incredibly detailed characters and vessels, breath taking views at sea, and lush, exotic locales. Enhancing the game's realism, wind and water conditions will affect how ships sail and fight. Day and night lighting and beautiful water effects make the game come alive."

EDIT - I found more info regarding what this does to Sea Dogs 2. Check my next post in this thread.

Snake Eyez
03-27-2003, 05:37 PM
I've seen the previews for the movie, and it looks somewhat interesting.

Master Gracey
03-27-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Snake Eyez
I've seen the previews for the movie, and it looks somewhat interesting.

I've got the movie poster... it's a beauty. :D

On a sad note, this is a bad sign for those of us who were anticipating May's release of Sea Dogs 2. Development has been suspended, since Bethesda wants to get Pirates out. When (or, more appropriately, if) Sea Dogs 2 sees the light of day, it'll be late this year. Gamestop and EB have completely pulled Sea Dogs 2 from their listings.

There are two rumors: one is that SD2 has been completely cancelled, and the other saying the release date has been pushed to mid-October.

MerimacHamwich
03-27-2003, 09:17 PM
Sweeeet.
:)

Master Gracey
03-27-2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
Sweeeet.
:)

Doesn't it sound good? If you'll be able to loot and take over towns, then it'll be exactly like an updated version of Pirates Gold, my fav game of all time. Though I'm a bit upset about Sea Dogs 2, Pirates of the Caribbean has shot right to the top of my "must have" list for the year.

Now if I had a job and the money to get my poster framed... :D That puppy will be worth alot of money someday.

MerimacHamwich
03-27-2003, 09:26 PM
Yeah, this game has huge potential. I wonder what kind of upgrades would be available for your sea faring ships? I also wonder what the damage would be like from cannon balls! Oh my god! I am getting so excited! Boarding enemy ships, hiding huge stashes of money, burying your dead soldiers on an island shaped like a skull...:confused: ...hehe. This game is possibly going to be the greatest RPG of the year. Now, if they came out with an update for Morrowind where you could buy ships and stuff, it might beat this out. You never know though.
:D

Master Gracey
03-27-2003, 09:32 PM
I have a feeling that this game will be like what everyone was saying about Sea Dogs 2: "Morrowind at sea." And for how open-ended this game sounds, they may be right!

Pirates of the Caribbean is my 2nd fav ride on the planet (should be pretty easy to guess my first.) Treasure Island is my 2nd fav book. Pirates Gold is my fav game. I have a full-size Jolly Roger hanging on the wall over my bed... I just love anything having to do with pirates! :D

CarGuy
03-27-2003, 09:37 PM
"I just love anything having to do with pirates!" LOL!

MerimacHamwich
03-27-2003, 09:51 PM
Whats so funny about that?