PDA

View Full Version : Lack of RPG's?

SakapuntaS
03-29-2003, 11:17 AM
I think I speak for a large portion of the xbox gaming community when I say, "Give me some damn rpg's!!!!." True , several fantastic RPG's are on there way such as: KOTOR, Project Ego. Still, Morrowind was pretty good, but it definately hasn't fed my RPG hunger. I'm just writing this post because I know I am not the only one "stressed" out about the lack of RPG's for xbox (lack of GOOD rpg's that is :confused: ). I think xbox needs to cut a lot of the crappier games (knowing full well they are crappy, there's to many to list), and start really focusing on breakthrough games(halo2,kotor,PE,the list goes on)....I think I'm actually gonna fire up Morrowind and start over, my last char was level 60 something and I got stuck in some volcanic ash storm and could never find where I needed to go...

Justin

Master Gracey
03-29-2003, 11:25 AM
It'll be changing soon... in fact, all indication is that this will be the year of the RPG on Xbox. With how well Morrowind did, everybody is jumping on the bandwagon.

Bethesda kicks it off once again with Pirates of the Caribbean coming in June. After that, I think there are no less than five RPGs scheduled for the rest of the year. BC sounds like it contains heavy RPG elements. There's KOTOR later this year as well. Unfortunately, the fate of Sea Dogs 2 is now in question, but there's a rumor that it's just delayed and may be out in mid-October. And, though the date is still up in the air, there's Fable on it's way... and that's gonna blow away everything. :D

TheChunkyMidget
03-29-2003, 11:36 AM
i couldnt wait for shenmure 2 for xbox to come out and i still havent played it! i got sucked in by shenmue 2 that i was excited about shenmue 2.but i am a big rpg fan and i hope this is the year of the xbox rpg boom

Knight
03-29-2003, 12:17 PM
KOTOR is coming out in June for the XBox(PC version is coming out in the fall). Then Sudeki is coming out in December.

Here's some dates for RPGs for XBox:

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic *
ETA: 6/1/2003

Dungeons & Dragons: Heroes *
ETA: 6/17/2003

Gladius *
ETA: 8/1/2003

Sudeki
ETA: 12/1/2003

Fable
ETA: 1/14/2004

And Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance2 is coming out late this year.

Dre
03-30-2003, 09:53 AM
I think all us RPG fans know the 3 titles to look out for:

KOTOR, Sudeki and Fable (I think they'll be released in this order as well).

Those 3 games alone are going to take up insane amounts of my time and I can't bloody wait!!

Knight
03-30-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Dre
I think all us RPG fans know the 3 titles to look out for:

KOTOR, Sudeki and Fable (I think they'll be released in this order as well).

Those 3 games alone are going to take up insane amounts of my time and I can't bloody wait!!

Make that 4 titles to look out for:

KOTOR, Sudeki, Fable and 2nd XBox RPG

http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33969

MixMasta
03-30-2003, 10:43 AM
dont forget morrowind gold!!! morrowind rocks, and it is one of my favorite xbox games

and like gracey, i cant wait for pirates of the carribean, if its as massive as morrowind, it will definitely be a must buy for me......we got the medievil era rpg, the pirate rpg from bethesda, now all we need is a futuristic rpg from bethesda!

Knight
03-30-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by MixMasta
dont forget morrowind gold!!! morrowind rocks, and it is one of my favorite xbox games

and like gracey, i cant wait for pirates of the carribean, if its as massive as morrowind, it will definitely be a must buy for me......we got the medievil era rpg, the pirate rpg from bethesda, now all we need is a futuristic rpg from bethesda!

When is POTC coming out?

Master Gracey
03-30-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Knight
When is POTC coming out?

In June, to correspond with the release of the movie... all indications are that it's going to be a massive free-form RPG. :D

Knight
03-30-2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Master Gracey
In June, to correspond with the release of the movie... all indications are that it's going to be a massive free-form RPG. :D

The game isn't listed at Ebgames (not even under the old name).

Master Gracey
03-30-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Knight
The game isn't listed at Ebgames (not even under the old name).

From the main site (www.bethsoft.com):

Bethesda Softworks to Publish Pirates of the Caribbean Game
RPG-at-Sea to Coincide With Movie Release This Summer

March 27, 2003 (Rockville, MD) -- Bethesda Softworks® and Disney Interactive today announced that Bethesda Softworks will publish a Pirates of the Caribbean video game for the Xbox™ video game system from Microsoft, PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, and PC CD-ROM. Inspired by one of this summer’s most anticipated blockbusters, the game will bring swashbuckling adventures and rich worlds to Xbox and PC this June, and to PlayStation 2 at a later date.

Featuring stunning graphics, deep role-playing elements and thrilling quests, the Pirates of the Caribbean game offers players the unique opportunity to prove their mettle against the legendary buccaneers of the Caribbean.

“The Pirates of the Caribbean game transports players to the 17th Century where they can experience life as a pirate in any way they see fit,” said executive producer Todd Vaughn. “Whether they want to be feared by all and welcome nowhere, or just enjoy compelling missions or a life at sea, we’re creating a game that fits their gameplay style.”

The Pirates of the Caribbean video game is a unique role-playing experience with an intriguing storyline and the ability to explore everything the world has to offer. Deciding to become a cold-hearted mercenary for hire, a peaceful and profitable merchant or a swashbuckling pirate will influence future interactions. Gaining wealth and experience gives players the opportunity to hire crewmembers, sail larger ships, and uncover priceless treasures.

Players will enjoy advanced AI, incredibly detailed characters and vessels, breath taking views at sea, and lush, exotic locales. Enhancing the game’s realism, wind and water conditions will affect how ships sail and fight. Day and night lighting and beautiful water effects make the game come alive.

“The appeal of Pirates of the Caribbean is timeless. The franchise will now have the opportunity to transcend many entertainment mediums and genres,” said Sanjeev Lamba, vice president of marketing and international at Disney Interactive. “Bethesda’s reputation and expertise in creating compelling RPGs will make Pirates of the Caribbean a role-playing game experience that will reflect the true spirit of the franchise.”

For more information on Pirates of the Caribbean for Xbox and PC, visit the official web site at pirates.bethsoft.com.

Knight
03-30-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Master Gracey
From the main site (www.bethsoft.com):

Bethesda Softworks to Publish Pirates of the Caribbean Game
RPG-at-Sea to Coincide With Movie Release This Summer

March 27, 2003 (Rockville, MD) -- Bethesda Softworks® and Disney Interactive today announced that Bethesda Softworks will publish a Pirates of the Caribbean video game for the Xbox™ video game system from Microsoft, PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, and PC CD-ROM. Inspired by one of this summer’s most anticipated blockbusters, the game will bring swashbuckling adventures and rich worlds to Xbox and PC this June, and to PlayStation 2 at a later date.

Featuring stunning graphics, deep role-playing elements and thrilling quests, the Pirates of the Caribbean game offers players the unique opportunity to prove their mettle against the legendary buccaneers of the Caribbean.

“The Pirates of the Caribbean game transports players to the 17th Century where they can experience life as a pirate in any way they see fit,” said executive producer Todd Vaughn. “Whether they want to be feared by all and welcome nowhere, or just enjoy compelling missions or a life at sea, we’re creating a game that fits their gameplay style.”

The Pirates of the Caribbean video game is a unique role-playing experience with an intriguing storyline and the ability to explore everything the world has to offer. Deciding to become a cold-hearted mercenary for hire, a peaceful and profitable merchant or a swashbuckling pirate will influence future interactions. Gaining wealth and experience gives players the opportunity to hire crewmembers, sail larger ships, and uncover priceless treasures.

Players will enjoy advanced AI, incredibly detailed characters and vessels, breath taking views at sea, and lush, exotic locales. Enhancing the game’s realism, wind and water conditions will affect how ships sail and fight. Day and night lighting and beautiful water effects make the game come alive.

“The appeal of Pirates of the Caribbean is timeless. The franchise will now have the opportunity to transcend many entertainment mediums and genres,” said Sanjeev Lamba, vice president of marketing and international at Disney Interactive. “Bethesda’s reputation and expertise in creating compelling RPGs will make Pirates of the Caribbean a role-playing game experience that will reflect the true spirit of the franchise.”

For more information on Pirates of the Caribbean for Xbox and PC, visit the official web site at pirates.bethsoft.com.

There's only a Press Releases it's not a real site for the game yet.

Knight
03-30-2003, 11:15 AM
And it's not listed at GameStop(Lamestop) too.

Corona
03-30-2003, 11:40 AM
IS Elder scrolls III ever going to the platinum pick status, or was that post i read like 3-4 weeks ago just a lie?

And also is Elder scrolls 4 in production?

Knight
03-30-2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Corona

And also is Elder scrolls 4 in production?

Not yet, there trying to milk 3 as long as they can with more add-ons first.

Bigwig
03-31-2003, 05:25 PM
Dont forget DX 2 its a GOTY contender and a Xbox console exclusive. Maybe even a NWN sequal too.

SakapuntaS
03-31-2003, 07:25 PM
I'm liking the feedback on this thread..anyways...So yall are telling me POTC is supposed to come out in June? I read somewhere that its affiliated with Disney, now I'm not one who is quick to judge...but I mean come on..Disney?!?! I'm not trying to play a game with little mermaids and "pirates." I like morrowind, and even though it had some HUGE glitches, I have some sort of trust in Bethesda to come out with something strong..but I do have my doubts. We xbox gamers got screwed bad by Bethesda with Morrowind. Game-Ending glitches should have NOT been skipped in the testing...Lets see here, We have POTC, KOTOR, Fable...Looking good but I'm not gonna be including Fable just yet (it probably wont even be released in 2003)...

Justin

Blind-RazoR
03-31-2003, 07:31 PM
I think I would puke if I tried to muscle down another 15 minutes of morrowind I think that game needed to be an MMO instead of the solo game it was.

SakapuntaS
03-31-2003, 07:40 PM
Hahah yeah bro I know what you mean- When I quit I somehow got lost in this Red Mountain ash volcanic crap, I was trying to do something on the main quest and just couldnt find the :mad: place. Butttt when I booted it up a couple days ago I got out of that mess and found where I needed to go, so now Im on my way...I'm not going to stop till I beat it and close a serious chapter in my life (haha) -

-Justin

Bigwig
03-31-2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by SakapuntaS
I'm liking the feedback on this thread..anyways...So yall are telling me POTC is supposed to come out in June? I read somewhere that its affiliated with Disney, now I'm not one who is quick to judge...but I mean come on..Disney?!?! I'm not trying to play a game with little mermaids and "pirates." I like morrowind, and even though it had some HUGE glitches, I have some sort of trust in Bethesda to come out with something strong..but I do have my doubts. We xbox gamers got screwed bad by Bethesda with Morrowind. Game-Ending glitches should have NOT been skipped in the testing...Lets see here, We have POTC, KOTOR, Fable...Looking good but I'm not gonna be including Fable just yet (it probably wont even be released in 2003)...

Justin

Sea Dogs 2 probably got a name change if anything. Sea Dogs 2 is a beth game do in June. DX 2 should make 2003. It will get previewed in the next EGM. Also you have Phantasy Star soon. Its not much but its a lot better then the PS 2 exclusives. Final Fantasy, Wild Arms, and Grandia are so played out and has beenish. I never liked them. The only PS 2 RPG that looks good IMO is Dark Cloud but even with that you have to get over the Anime childrean. I hope Fable does slip to 2004 so the Xbox can take GOTY in 2003 with DX 2 and in 2004 with Fable.:p

EHWfedPres
03-31-2003, 08:50 PM
Xbox has more REAL rpg's than any console (not including the pc of course). If you want more fake jap action adventure games, then tough luck.

Bigwig
03-31-2003, 09:27 PM
^^ If anything Japanese RPGs lack action and make up for that with cinemas
You cast a summon Phoenix spell in a Japanese RPG and the earth shaters, the waters part, the heavens split and some 2000 foot fiery beast comes forth reaping blazing thounsands of hitpoints of damage on your enamies then leaves without a trace. You cast the same spell in an American RPG and you get a Phoenix.

Knight
03-31-2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Bigwig
Sea Dogs 2 probably got a name change if anything. Sea Dogs 2 is a beth game do in June.

It did it's called Pirates of the Caribbean now.