PDA

View Full Version : To make the wait for SC2 that much longer

JJaX
03-29-2003, 10:17 PM
Go here (http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/soulcalibur2/media.html)

They got about 9 movies you can stream. It looks like a console version being necrids there. Check theres out!

I cant wait! Best fighter ever...These videos will make any SC fan get sweaty palms :)

Knight
03-30-2003, 09:00 AM
I hate streaming Video, got any where I can download them from?

Dre
03-30-2003, 12:07 PM
Now that I think about it, I played SC at the arcade once or twice.

However, I didn't really get much into it. I just found out that the japan version of SC2 was just released, but us NTSC guys gotta wait till August b4 we get our hands on it.

I liked DOA because of the counters and the way the battles fought out, it was like watching a movie (well, it is when I play against someone else who knows wtf they're doing instead of just button mashing). Now, I know most peeps on this board say DOA pales in comparaison to SC2. But no one has ever really said why. So please... tell me why SC2 is going to be one of the best fighters ever.

JJaX
03-30-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Dre
Now that I think about it, I played SC at the arcade once or twice.

However, I didn't really get much into it. I just found out that the japan version of SC2 was just released, but us NTSC guys gotta wait till August b4 we get our hands on it.

I liked DOA because of the counters and the way the battles fought out, it was like watching a movie (well, it is when I play against someone else who knows wtf they're doing instead of just button mashing). Now, I know most peeps on this board say DOA pales in comparaison to SC2. But no one has ever really said why. So please... tell me why SC2 is going to be one of the best fighters ever.

Keep it up dre, see how long we stay friends ;)

Heres one of my many post from an old thread (http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=24717) defending my position on SC.

Yo for real! What are you smoking?? DOA you can get away with just knowing a few weak ass punch combos and a few weak ass kick combos and the concept of counters and your set.

You can play as any fighter, and knowing what i stated above, put up a good fight.

Sure DOA isnt completely button mashing, its more like timed button mashing with counters

You must really suck at Soul calibur to be beat buy a button masher. Give me Knightmare or mitsurugi and he wont put a finger on me. I can toy with them, finish them with style.

Ok is he gonna come at me with the 3 highs than a low. (which everyone can do ) Will he come at me with 3 kicks? Not to mention you can throw a counter sit there for a few seconds and wait for the freaking blow (timing my ass). And why cant i grab you after your stunned? And whats the point of side stepping in DOA? Free hits anyone?

After a while you come to realize all the fighters in DOA are the same freakin thing. Sure theres plenty of moves, but the difference betweetn 2 differnt moves is little to none.

And please dont hit me off with the "you must suck at DOA than"
Ive been a fan of the series since the 1st one, and own 2 and 3. But its FACT that it lacks in depth comapred to any real fighter like Soul calibur.

Soul calibur has, perrys, repels, counters, counter guard impacts unblockables, fake unblockables, multiple stances, delays, roll control, air recovery control, stuns, spirit charges, soul charges, custom combos, slides, button rolling (A~B) grab cancels, low grabs, weapon weight variances and there are no cheap juggles. Juggles can be rolled out of (except certain ones like mitsuruigs 3A while opponent is attacking, 3b, down to foward B, Foward foward A+B) Last part can sometimes be blocked or rolled out of. You can even add to that by starting off with a soul charge and doing a B~foward before the 3A, quick strike that stuns if contact is made while still glowing. Or for exta damage and you got skillz, instead of doing the 3B do a 33B or a 99B (im sorry but i have to applaud namco, this game kicks so much ass) And this is just one series of attacks!

For those that dont know, Look at your NUMPAD, 3 is like saying diagonal right, 6 would be right, 4 would be left.

And if you know what your doing and your opponent does to, prepare for a epic battle.

Im sorry, but i really feel bad for those who think DOA is better. Im sorry cause you're really missing the true points of a good fighting game.

Oh well.............

JJaX
03-31-2003, 12:08 PM
P.s.

DOA3 is garbage.

Stick to volley ball dress up games. :rolleyes:

But props to techmo for ninja gaiden. That looks hot.

JJaX
03-31-2003, 05:08 PM
We've got details on the hidden characters and numerous gameplay modes in the Japanese home versions of Namco's fighting game sequel.

Following our initial look at the three versions of Soul Calibur II, we've continued putting the game through its paces. In short, Namco appears to have continued its track record of high-quality home conversions of its fighting games with Soul Calibur II. Generally speaking, each version looks comparable to the arcade game. Each version of the game also plays to the strengths of its respective platform, and all feature a smooth frame rate and detailed character models. In terms of its content, Soul Calibur II has a wide array of unlockable features ranging from hidden characters and modes to alternate weapons and costumes for the various fighters.

As noted in our previous story, Soul Calibur II is a great looking fighter on any of the systems. There are a few minor differences between versions, mostly in the color usage and textures. At first glance, the GameCube and Xbox are the crisper looking versions of the game, with the Xbox having a slight edge in resolution and color. However, the PlayStation 2 version of the game is no slouch, offering some of the best visuals seen in any fighting game for console to date.

Soul Calibur II's presentation is complemented by Namco's use of the technical features offered by each platform. The GameCube game features support for 480p progressive scan, the Playstation 2 offers 525p progressive scan support, and the Xbox supports 480p and 720p progressive scan. The GameCube and PlayStation 2 look solid via progressive scan, although the enhanced resolution makes some of the jagged edges in the game a bit more noticeable. The Xbox version, on the other hand, looks stellar at 720p. The audio in each of the games follows a similar pattern, with the GameCube and PlayStation 2 versions making good use of Dolby Pro Logic II--but the Xbox edges them out thanks to its support of Dolby 5.1.

As far as content goes, Soul Calibur II has quite a bit to offer on all three platforms, including standard arcade, versus, and team play modes, a museum mode for viewing character endings and profiles, and numerous extra modes. The weapon master mode is similar to the mission and edgemaster modes seen in the home versions of Soul Calibur and its predecessor Soul Blade, and consists of story-driven series of progressively difficult battles. Playing through the weapon master mode will also unlock the game's hidden characters and plenty of other extras, including costumes and additional weapons. So far we've managed to unlock the shapeshifter Charade, the cutesy polearm fighter Seung Mina, blonde-haired Sophitia, the pirate Cervantes, and Tekken's space ninja Yoshimitsu. The character select screen in Soul Calibur II initially has five blank spaces, and all those blanks are filled once those hidden characters are uncovered. We also unlocked a sexy alternate outfit for Ivy and an alternate outfit for Nightmare where he looks normal, rather than infested by his evil sword.

The arcade game's original roster of fighters has been fleshed out on each of the consoles by the addition of Link, Heihachi, Spawn, and Necrid and the five unlockable characters previously mentioned. We've spent quite a bit of time with all of them now and are generally impressed with them, especially the console specific characters. For the most part, each of the characters has its own unique feel. Link is a versatile fighter whose array of moves draws on the actions seen in the various Legend of Zelda games. You'll be able to use a variety of special moves such as shooting arrows, and throwing bombs and Link's boomerang, and also do a charge attack with the Master Sword. It's strange to see Nintendo's well known character in Soul Calibur II, but he seems like he can hold his own.

Heihachi is a slightly better fit than Link, and now is armed with bracers that he uses to deflect his opponents' weapons. Tekken fans will find he has access to a solid helping of his moves and that the loss of a button hasn't changed the way he handles. He is still a very powerful fighter who can dole out a considerable amount of damage. He's got all his classic moves and even his 10-string attack combo, plus his character model is totally redone for Soul Calibur II.

Spawn is probably the oddest fit across all the platforms thanks to a varied array of moves that includes an ability to fly and some projectile attacks that allow him to do a fair amount of ranged fighting. While these moves do seem to provide a rather unfair advantage, it's certainly possible to overcome them. Spawn fans will appreciate that his second outfit shows Todd McFarlane's classic character unmasked.

Necrid, the other McFarlane character, doesn't handle that uniquely due to his ability to perform many of the moves used by the other fighters--his character-specific moves aren't quite as effective. His monstrous form makes him look somewhat out of place among Soul Calibur II's cast.

Charade replaces the Edge Master character found in the Dreamcast version of Soul Calibur. This particular character also bears a passing resemblance to the game's final boss, Inferno, and randomly takes the form of one of the game's other characters at the beginning of each round. Seung Mina, Sophitia, Cervantes, and Yoshimitsu all should be familiar to fans of the series. While there have been some tweaks to their overall balance and move sets, they all handle pretty close to the way they did in the previous games.

The weapon master mode gives Soul Calibur II some added replay value. Essentially, you can select any character and go through a series of fights, some of which require you to fulfill certain objectives as opposed to just defeating the other character. By winning and even just participating in fights, you'll earn money that you can use to purchase additional weapons for characters in the game that they can use in other modes.

Overall, it appears that Namco has devoted an equal amount of time to all three console versions of Soul Calibur II, so a player's personal preference for any version of the game will boil down to which of the exclusive characters most appeals to them. Of course, there are some visual differences between the three versions of the game, but they're largely negligible. We'll have much more on Soul Calibur II in the coming days.

Source (http://www.videogames.com/xbox/action/soulcalibur2/news_6024195.html)

dronezero
03-31-2003, 07:58 PM
^^^What he said. I didn't even like fighting games before playing Soul Calibur yet it is my second favorite game of all time (behind Shenmue and in front of Halo).

In fact I think I might go play right now.

Edit: Kickass movies by the way.

Edit numero dos: Man Voldo put on some weight :confused:

JJaX
04-01-2003, 07:06 AM
Yes yes welcome my soul calibur friend.

All SC fans are welcome in my thread :p

I was pumped to read cervantes is back :cool:

Oh and my friend has a modded box, he says he has soul calibur 2 already. So if the game is like done, why must we wait so long :(

JJaX
04-01-2003, 07:58 AM
145 hits and only one other poster but me.

Bah! I fart in your general direction! :o

I guess there are no real fighting fans over here at xba. SC2 will own you, your sisters, your brothers, your parents and all their freinds.

I really hope majority of you take the time to actually learn to play this. It will almost feel like a privalage, like driving.
And you'll be smacking around your significant other in anger because you've been wasting your time with cup cake eating sisco loving fighters like DOA and MK.

And if you don't like SC2, than never pick up another fighting game again. Its not your genre, being this is the pinnacle.

Spaztic
04-01-2003, 12:24 PM
I am going to look for Soul Caliber tonight....since I have a modded xbox...but I already have the best fighter ever made.....DOA3!

JJaX
04-01-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Shaggy
I am going to look for Soul Caliber tonight....since I have a modded xbox...but I already have the best fighter ever made.....DOA3!

Best fighter ever made DOA3? You're just saying that to pi55 me off right?

Spaztic
04-01-2003, 02:35 PM
No I am serious, that game rules. I think you might have drank to much boones in your life time becuase it seems to have rotted you brain and affected your better judgement! But none the less I like soul caliber! I will get it!

JJaX
04-01-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Shaggy
No I am serious, that game rules. I think you might have drank to much boones in your life time becuase it seems to have rotted you brain and affected your better judgement! But none the less I like soul caliber! I will get it!

DOA3 is not a deep fighter. Im not going to go on about it.

dronezero
04-02-2003, 03:47 PM
Go easy on him JJax. He knows not what he says.

Rusted Gundam
04-03-2003, 08:05 AM
Haha, havent posted here in a while :)

Anyways, on topic. The arcade in my town has SC2 and I go and waste money on that all the time. My favorite people are Cervantes,Nightmare,Astaroth. Mean men. Game is really close to DoA3 button masher-whise. A noob can defeat a normal-skilled person really easy. I rarely die from a noob, and if I do I just bring my asta around and swing dat *****. Conquest mode is the greatest thing brought by namco, I hope they use it in more arcade games:p

Dre
04-03-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Rusted Gundam
Haha, havent posted here in a while :)

Anyways, on topic. The arcade in my town has SC2 and I go and waste money on that all the time. My favorite people are Cervantes,Nightmare,Astaroth. Mean men. Game is really close to DoA3 button masher-whise. A noob can defeat a normal-skilled person really easy. I rarely die from a noob, and if I do I just bring my asta around and swing dat *****. Conquest mode is the greatest thing brought by namco, I hope they use it in more arcade games:p

I hear differently... but I've never played. But, supposedly this is a game where if you know what you're actually doing, you hand it out on a silver platter to noobs. Maybe you just aren't that good yet? :D:

JJaX
04-03-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Rusted Gundam
Game is really close to DoA3 button masher-whise. A noob can defeat a normal-skilled person really easy.

Well when its button mashing noob versus another button mashing noob you're going to get a winner :rolleyes:

Im sorry, but if you're skilled at SC and you face a noob. You can toy with them and still get a perfect.

DOA3 is a joke compared to SC. Lets stop with the comparisons.

JJaX
04-03-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Dre
I hear differently... but I've never played. But, supposedly this is a game where if you know what you're actually doing, you hand it out on a silver platter to noobs. Maybe you just aren't that good yet? :D:

Exactly, Im at the point were im so good with nighmare i can beat noobs with just my right hand.

R = Block + Guard (Throw)

With knightmare you are able to vary swings and stances depending on if you hold the attack button down and what not. And easily block buy pressing 'A'

So i could do for example,

Hold X (Horizontal attack into a stance)
Press Y or hold Y(pressing Y = Huge vertical attack from stance, holding Y results into attack into a differnt stance)
X, X Hold Y (low stance), then press Y or Hold Y to back to 1st step.
And plenty plenty more, and so many ways to mix it up its not even funny :cool:
And if the noob was agressive and got near me id just block than grab his ass with R.

And do it all with fluid and deadly precision with one damn hand.

Trust me Dre, SC is amazingly deep. Once you are skilled no button masher will ever hit you more than 3 times.

But smashing noobs is very very boring. Get some firends to learn the game with you. You will all learn at the same pace and your fights will become epic, trust me ;)

We also play, you have to win 3 rounds to win the match. I hate that Best of 3 garbage.

Please people, do yourselves a favor and get this damn game when it comes out. Take the time to learn it. And you will never "Master" it. Everyone has there own unique fighting styles with every given character they choose to use.

Bottom line, the game never gets old as long as you have good competition with you.
I know anyone here thats taken SC to my level of play can backup everything i preach.

JJaX
04-05-2003, 08:59 PM
Right click me and 'save as' to Download a Japanese SC2 GC Commercial showing off link (http://www.guardimpact.com/media/video/sc2jpncom-gamecube.zip)

JJaX
05-05-2003, 02:17 PM
check out some new console footage.

Entire fights!

http://ryochan.free.fr/soul2.html

Its a shame that these two dudes dont know any advanced techiniques like guard impacting, spirit charges and unblockables. Hell they hardly even grab and they leave each other so wide open at points...

Oh well. Its still good footage ;)

*edit*

Ok towards the later movies they start learning some new s4it. About time...

*sigh* i cant wait for this game!

BlindSniper
05-05-2003, 06:20 PM
man I

dont know what hapopened here. But sorry it posted this somehow...when I was typing..

BlindSniper
05-05-2003, 06:21 PM
Im I the only one in the world who ABSOLUTELY HATES fighting games? everyone Ive known lvoes them. I just cant stand them. I could care less for sc 2 :)