PDA

View Full Version : Custom Soundtracks: A Real Betrayal

selowitch
03-31-2003, 03:49 PM
I’m really quite disappointed that support for custom soundtracks is still not widespread. To read Microsoft’s marketing language, one would think that you could apply a custom soundtrack to any and all of the Xbox games.
I was really looking forward to listening to content ripped from my Star Wars CDs so I could listen to them while playing Jedi Knight II, for example.
*Sigh* What a bummer.

Cyclone
03-31-2003, 03:51 PM
Blame the game developer, not Microsoft.
Also, some games that would be hard to work into. Halo for example would seem a bit weird if you're walking along and a big dramatic thing happens and something like <insert crapper rapper name here> - <Insert title about cappin homies here> started playing. Get my drift? It just doesnt work right for some games.
Majority of racing games I've played so far support custom soundtracks though.

Kraft
03-31-2003, 03:52 PM
Yes, and xbox live was supposed to be a single payment to play all the xbl games, but we see how well that panned out as well. The commercial industry is filled with a lot of empty promised and hype ups, otherwise noone would buy their products. Just be thankful that the sound thing was the only hyped up features that let you down with the box.

selowitch
03-31-2003, 04:09 PM
Blame the game developer, not Microsoft.

OK. I can do that. :-)

Also, some games that would be hard to work into. Halo for example would seem a bit weird if you're walking along and a big dramatic thing happens and something like - started playing. Get my drift? It just doesnt work right for some games.

An interesting point that really rings true.

Majority of racing games I've played so far support custom soundtracks though.

Alas, the only racing game I really like is Quantum Redshift, because if I’m racing poorly, I can always blow my opponents up.

dronezero
03-31-2003, 08:12 PM
Yeah the games that I felt were laking the soundtrack support were the sega sports games. How perfect would it be to be able to listen to your own tunes while playing street basketball. Oh well. :mad:

wweomaniac
03-31-2003, 09:10 PM
it seems like most racing games are taking advantage of the soundtrack deally.... i found out 5 months after purchasing Rallisport that it also had that option... but its hidden way in sound options (who goes into sound options?). Well that made the game ten times more fun.

I was also hoping that most games would contain this soundtrack feature when i bought the x... how sad.

Highlite23
03-31-2003, 09:14 PM
Oddly enough this is the one XBOX feature i don't really care about.

Yes it's cool to listen to your tunes in certain games, Racers, Extreme Sports, ie Inline, snowbording.

But if you have games like Halo or Hunter the Reckoning, games that use the sounds and soundtracks to establish a mood or draw you into the game, whats the need.

Master Gracey
03-31-2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by wweomaniac
it seems like most racing games are taking advantage of the soundtrack deally.... i found out 5 months after purchasing Rallisport that it also had that option... but its hidden way in sound options (who goes into sound options?). Well that made the game ten times more fun.

I was also hoping that most games would contain this soundtrack feature when i bought the x... how sad.

Hehehe... :D Sound options are the first thing I look for when I turn on a game! Unless, of course, it's a game where sound is part of the atmosphere and there's no point of soundtrack support.

As for sports games, who really wants to hear that Bad Religion song for the millionth time in the ten-millionth game? (Nothing against Bad Religion, who were once a very fine band)

Knight
03-31-2003, 10:02 PM
You know of the 26 XBox games I own only 2 support Custom Soundtracks that's lame.

nashpred31
04-01-2003, 02:37 AM
for me it all depends on the game and if the music in it is already good :) but i was very pleased to see that doa beach volleyball lets you play your own music cause the music on it bores me so i filled it up with all my asian pop, metal, industrial, rock, punk and techno dancey stuff to liven it up. nothing like womens volleyball to some Gorgoroth LOL