PDA

View Full Version : Best TV Set for Xbox Play (under US $1,000)

selowitch
03-31-2003, 04:26 PM
Hi, XBA folks!

Any thoughts on the best televisions for playing Xbox? What do you make of the RCA models that mention VPort specifically for connecting an Xbox?

Cyclone
03-31-2003, 04:30 PM
Hmm
Tell me more about this vport thing

selowitch
03-31-2003, 04:45 PM
Tell me more about this vport thing.
The following story is germane:

http://www.rca.com/content/viewdetail/1,2811,EI700343-CI258,00.html

MerimacHamwich
03-31-2003, 04:52 PM
Dude, the Xbox TV has been out for ages.
:)

LynxFX
03-31-2003, 05:17 PM
If you are looking at $1000 don't even bother with the Vport (which is just a rebundled component cable) tv's. Look into an HDTV so you can actually take advantage of the Xbox's capabilities (480p first and foremost). You can get a 32" Samsung tube HDTV for $899 I believe, give or take. They may actually have the 36" for $1000 or right around there. Of course they have the 27" for $699. Some other manufactures are lowering the price of their tube HDTV's as well so look for some good price matching to go on.

Knight
03-31-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx-XBA
If you are looking at $1000 don't even bother with the Vport (which is just a rebundled component cable) tv's. Look into an HDTV so you can actually take advantage of the Xbox's capabilities (480p first and foremost). You can get a 32" Samsung tube HDTV for $899 I believe, give or take. They may actually have the 36" for $1000 or right around there. Of course they have the 27" for $699. Some other manufactures are lowering the price of their tube HDTV's as well so look for some good price matching to go on.

The 27" version is $650.

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11101060&m=1&cat=24&scat=1470

Knight
03-31-2003, 05:38 PM
And the lowest price 36" HDTV I can find at BestBuy is the Panasonic one at $1600.

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11100117&m=1&cat=24&scat=1470

Reclaimer
03-31-2003, 07:18 PM
I have the 36 in RCA VPORT TV. I like the TV, and I think it was worth it. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not using the PORT cable, because I already had the MS Advanced A/V pack, but besides that, I think it was worth the 790 I paid for it. The sound is outstanding, the picture is bright and crisp and I think if you don't want to spring for a Hi-def TV, then this is an option you should consider. I also have a RCA surround sound setup and the RCA remote control operates the TV, the Receiver and the Xbox DVD kit. Even if the VPORT thing is just a rebundled component cable, the TV is a good TV none the less. Think of it this way, if I wanted to save connection space in the back of my center, I'd get the VPORT cable to free up something, but until then, I'm a strong supporter for that TV.

Knight
03-31-2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Reclaimer
I have the 36 in RCA VPORT TV. I like the TV, and I think it was worth it. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not using the PORT cable, because I already had the MS Advanced A/V pack, but besides that, I think it was worth the 790 I paid for it. The sound is outstanding, the picture is bright and crisp and I think if you don't want to spring for a Hi-def TV, then this is an option you should consider. I also have a RCA surround sound setup and the RCA remote control operates the TV, the Receiver and the Xbox DVD kit. Even if the VPORT thing is just a rebundled component cable, the TV is a good TV none the less. Think of it this way, if I wanted to save connection space in the back of my center, I'd get the VPORT cable to free up something, but until then, I'm a strong supporter for that TV.

But it's not a HDTV, So in 3 years your going to have to find a new TV for watching TV.

MerimacHamwich
03-31-2003, 07:24 PM
That's the thing. It is not a High-Definition television.

Reclaimer
03-31-2003, 09:09 PM
Well, I don't care. I needed a new TV, and this is want I got. So what Hi-Def is the wave of the future. So was Beta-max. I can't justify spending that much more money on a Hi-Def TV, when I can see just fine on the one I have. Is there a completely different gaming experience? No. Do you get a different game when you play on a Hi-def TV? No. It's probably a cool thing to have, and that's OK. But you can never tell me something like "You've never lived until you played a game on a Hi-def TV." Because it's not that important to me. I'm playing the same Halo you are. I'm playing the all the same games you are. Regardless of which kind of TV it's on, it's still the same game.

MerimacHamwich
03-31-2003, 09:22 PM
Man, Reclaimer, you seem so touch and go these days.

Originally Posted by Knight-
The 27" version is $650
That is actually cheaper. Ofcourse, you are getting a smaller screen though.

Knight
03-31-2003, 09:23 PM
Well, I don't care. I needed a new TV, and this is want I got. So what Hi-Def is the wave of the future. So was Beta-max. I can't justify spending that much more money on a Hi-Def TV, when I can see just fine on the one I have. Is there a completely different gaming experience? No. Do you get a different game when you play on a Hi-def TV? No. It's probably a cool thing to have, and that's OK. But you can never tell me something like "You've never lived until you played a game on a Hi-def TV." Because it's not that important to me. I'm playing the same Halo you are. I'm playing the all the same games you are. Regardless of which kind of TV it's on, it's still the same game.

Games look alot better under 480p then 480i(that's what a non-HDTV uses) Plus most XBox games supports 480p & some 720p.

But alot of people going to have to get a HDTV in 2006 because they will only air in HD then.

But it's your money & it's up to you what you buy. As soon as I can get a HDTV I'm getting a HDTV.

Knight
03-31-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich

The thing is my room with my XBox in it would be hate to get a 32" in the room.

Reclaimer
03-31-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich

Touch and go? What are talking about?

So for around 100 bucks you can a 36 inch TV, vice a 27. Nothing wrong with that.

Now for the hi-def thing, I heard the thing about how they'll only air programs in hi-def too. But you know what? I don't think they're going to render all other TV's obselete. To me, it sounded like a marketing ploy. To get people to buy the more expensive hi-def TVs. And let me guess, everyone buys a hi-def TV, and in 4-5 years a new format comes out and they'll come out and say, everyone must upgrade and buy this new format TV because we'll no longer broadcast in the old hi-def mode. It's not going to happen. They'll always be provisions for people with regular TV sets.

If I win the lottery, believe me, I'll be the first in line to buy a hi-def TV. I'm not a nay-sayer of technology. But I will say this: Games are just as good, even though they're not on a hi-def TV. There's no need to rush out and buy one.

Highlite23
03-31-2003, 09:42 PM

I agree with you reclaimer, I have the RCA also, for a second XBOX downstairs. I'm also using the V-Port, well worht the $19.99. Yes it's not HD, but it's a great set for the money. Lots of opptions and great picture.

Knight
03-31-2003, 09:43 PM
Touch and go? What are talking about?

So for around 100 bucks you can a 36 inch TV, vice a 27. Nothing wrong with that.

Now for the hi-def thing, I heard the thing about how they'll only air programs in hi-def too. But you know what? I don't think they're going to render all other TV's obselete. To me, it sounded like a marketing ploy. To get people to buy the more expensive hi-def TVs. And let me guess, everyone buys a hi-def TV, and in 4-5 years a new format comes out and they'll come out and say, everyone must upgrade and buy this new format TV because we'll no longer broadcast in the old hi-def mode. It's not going to happen. They'll always be provisions for people with regular TV sets.

If I win the lottery, believe me, I'll be the first in line to buy a hi-def TV. I'm not a nay-sayer of technology. But I will say this: Games are just as good, even though they're not on a hi-def TV. There's no need to rush out and buy one.

You can't find any 36" for $100 they start at $500 and go up.

Show me where you can find this $100 36"!? In your dreams.

MerimacHamwich
03-31-2003, 09:47 PM
Touch and go = iffy = unstable = volatile

Reclaimer
03-31-2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Knight
You can't find any 36" for $100 they start at $500 and go up.

Show me where you can find this $100 36"!? In your dreams.

I meant for a hundred or so more than the price of the 27 inch TV,
you could go with a 36.

I typed that in response to the quote that MerimacHamwich posted, in which he quotes you (Knight) as saying that the 27 inch version was 650 dollars. I have seen the 36 go for 750 during a sale at Best Buy.

BTW, I'm very stable, and not more volatile than usual.

I will add that you need to be prepared if you choose to purchase this TV. It's 39 inches across, and it weighs 190 pounds. Finding a pedestal for it is difficult. It weighs less than a Sony, but the width across, makes it hard to find a stand or cabinet that can accomodate. I'm actually using a stand meant to a JVC, and it just barely fits on there.

LynxFX
03-31-2003, 10:23 PM

A lot of stuff said in this thread but I just wanted to touch back to this post. ;)

Beta-max was never the future. It was a competing format against VHS. HDTV isn't a competing format of anything. It is a/the standard. Come 2006 (unless they push the date which is very possible) it will be the only standard format to be broadcast over the air as mandated by the FCC. There is no other format coming out in a long long long time. Heck the past format lasted 40 some years. So whether you get into HDTV now or when the turn off analog signals doesn't really matter, you will have one sooner or later. :)

As for the different gaming experience, you better believe it. There is a very large difference when just going from interlaced to progressive. Now add in the few games that go the distance to 720p or 1080i and it is truely a different gaming experience. It is like playing Halo with mono or stereo speakers and going to a digital surround system. It IS a different game. It isn't just cool, it affects the way you play. Sound is probably easier to tell but with a high quality display and a higher resolution you get sharper detail which allows you to see more of the game and it can affect the game as a whole. Can't see that sniper hiding behind the tree on your standard tv? Check it out on an HDTV, now you have those fine details. TV's can make all the difference.

If you are getting it just for the xbox then yes I agree there is no rush to get an HDTV yet. Wait for the price to drop even further. But if you watch DVD's at all or get digital cable or satellite tv, then it is a no brainer. Don't waste another dollar on a standard def tv.

SmokinonDro247
04-01-2003, 02:38 PM
I got the rca vport for christmas. I have never plugged anything into the vport. It does however have s-video and the picture quality is much better with s than with plain old. I can only imagine that an hdtv would make me cream my shorts. Did I say that out loud??

Knight
04-01-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx-XBA
A lot of stuff said in this thread but I just wanted to touch back to this post. ;)

Beta-max was never the future. It was a competing format against VHS. HDTV isn't a competing format of anything. It is a/the standard. Come 2006 (unless they push the date which is very possible) it will be the only standard format to be broadcast over the air as mandated by the FCC. There is no other format coming out in a long long long time. Heck the past format lasted 40 some years. So whether you get into HDTV now or when the turn off analog signals doesn't really matter, you will have one sooner or later. :)

As for the different gaming experience, you better believe it. There is a very large difference when just going from interlaced to progressive. Now add in the few games that go the distance to 720p or 1080i and it is truely a different gaming experience. It is like playing Halo with mono or stereo speakers and going to a digital surround system. It IS a different game. It isn't just cool, it affects the way you play. Sound is probably easier to tell but with a high quality display and a higher resolution you get sharper detail which allows you to see more of the game and it can affect the game as a whole. Can't see that sniper hiding behind the tree on your standard tv? Check it out on an HDTV, now you have those fine details. TV's can make all the difference.

If you are getting it just for the xbox then yes I agree there is no rush to get an HDTV yet. Wait for the price to drop even further. But if you watch DVD's at all or get digital cable or satellite tv, then it is a no brainer. Don't waste another dollar on a standard def tv.

Digital cable sucks Monkey balls, I wish I had Disk network or DSS not this good for notting Comsuckycast Digital cable.