PDA

View Full Version : Red Faction 2 - To Buy or Not to Buy?

the_wank3r
04-01-2003, 06:17 PM
just released on xbox today? anyone have any suggestions? I heard it was sweet on ps2, I think I might buy it for the box.

wweomaniac
04-01-2003, 06:33 PM
lol ... I didn't even know it was realeased on xbox.

I know rf1 was sweet cause you could blow anything up, but I heard rf 2 wasn't as good in terms of innovation..

I don't think i'll be picking it up... but I really don't care what you choose to do. :D

MerimacHamwich
04-01-2003, 06:34 PM
My brother wants to try it becuase it has enviornmental damage. That is really the only reason. No Live, and as far as I know, no 4 player.

the_wank3r
04-01-2003, 06:50 PM
hmm, I dunno maybe I'll pick it up in a trade or just wait til the price drops. I dunno, I try not to rush into buying games, til solid reviews come out.

EHWfedPres
04-01-2003, 07:04 PM
on the ps2 version, there is no geo-mod in multiplayer, meaning the game is not worth buying.

VenoM
04-01-2003, 07:16 PM
part one is great...im still in the middle of playing it...havnt beat it yet...i picked it up last month i believe for ps2 since my pc was to crappy and im loving part 1...part 2 looks way better....im for sure picking it up...geo-mod rules :p

EHWfedPres
04-01-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by VenoM
geo-mod rules :p

which is why rf2 sucks...no geo-mod! :mad:

the_wank3r
04-01-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by EHWfedPres

hmm I could have swarn it has geo-mod man, ill check it out

Revamped Geo-Mod engine - the only FPS with real-time, arbitrary geometry modification
All-new storyline & characters - fight as a member of an elite squad of six
Enhanced graphics and prerendered cutscenes for a completely immersive experience
Utilize four varied vehicles in combat, including a tank, a hover flyer and a submarine
Acquire superior firepower from multiple boss battles
14 specialized weapons of mass destruction, including dual-handed pistols and machine guns
All-new inventory of useful items - health kits, night vision goggles, numerous grenades and more
Stealth, puzzle solving and action-oriented objectives
Advanced AI behavior - AI works in squads and reacts realistically to events
High replay value due to multiple endings based on player actions
4 player mode - split screen death match and create your own bots
USB keyboard/mouse support

VenoM
04-01-2003, 09:12 PM

it does have geo-mod

Uchiha Sasuke
04-02-2003, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by VenoM
it does have geo-mod

Yeah it has geo-mod but its really limited in the multiplayer games.I think thats what he was talking about.

Oh heres what ign came up with as far as a review.

Presentation

A pretty cool set-up in a world that seems quite interesting. But the story just isn't well-written. Still, can't argue with the loads of maps and well-made multiplayer modes. 8.0

Graphics

Nothing terribly exciting for the Xbox, this one isn't going to drop your jaw, but it won't make you lose your lunch either. Solid 60 fps is a definite plus. 7.0

Sound

The guns sound good, some of the dialogue isn't bad, but the score is pretty standard. No Dolby Digital support? Guess it needed an extra six months. 7.0

Gameplay

While the levels are linear, the control is top notch and a lot of fun. The multiplayer more than makes up for the shot single-player mode. If only it had System Link! 9.0

Lasting Appeal

The single-player will last you six hours, but the multiplayer could last your console's lifetime. So many maps and so much fun to be had. 8.0

OVERALL SCORE (not an average) 8.3

Not too bad :)

JJaX
04-02-2003, 10:18 AM
I had no clue this game was out :eek:

Ive heard nothing but good things about the 1st one.

I really dont care if it has this geo mod crap or not. I shoot at bad guys, not walls.

Im hurting for a solid solo FPS game.

EHWfedPres
04-02-2003, 12:10 PM
In the multiplayer, there is no geo-mod. blowing up a wall to get to another room does not count...tunnel-digging does, and you can do that.

I think they put revamped instead of Removed...:rolleyes:

Viper87227
04-02-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by the_wank3r
just released on xbox today? anyone have any suggestions? I heard it was sweet on ps2, I think I might buy it for the box.

Red Faction 2 is one of the best FPS games out there. I dont know what system ill get for cuz im sure the xbox will have better grafix but since im used to the PS2 controls ill like those better plus the PS2 game is down to $35 some places so its...

Grafix vs. Controls and Pricetag

illl probablywait for a demo or rent RF2 on xbox and see which i like better :)

borka105
04-02-2003, 04:19 PM
Viper, the xbox version has more levels, more multiplayer maps, and more characters.....

big difference......

-borka105

Spaztic
04-02-2003, 04:21 PM
I am getting it I need a solid fps!

Viper87227
04-02-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by borka105
Viper, the xbox version has more levels, more multiplayer maps, and more characters.....

big difference......

-borka105

Shiza!!! had no idea. Ill still rent it first but I tihnk this has made up my mind. Now I am gunna go play my PS2 demo just cuz all this talk of RF2 makes me want to blow stuff up :p

EHWfedPres
04-02-2003, 06:59 PM
Ill get it if it has the map Checkmate for ctf...but im still mad about the false geo-mod claims.

Hitman101
04-02-2003, 07:03 PM
Man..........I this game was live and had Geo-mod in multiplay ON live, it would have been a must buy for me.

EHWfedPres
04-02-2003, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Hitman101
Man..........I this game was live and had Geo-mod in multiplay ON live, it would have been a must buy for me.

Ditto. I bought RF1 for the pc and had so much fun playing online on the checkmate map...if that map is not included, i'll probably wait until the game costs about 5 bucks and get it then because the actual gameplay is not too good...

Viper87227
04-02-2003, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Hitman101

well 1st of all from what I understand there is Geo Mode in mulitplayer its just very limited and nothing like in the single player game. But I must ask you which you would rather have...

Full Geo mode in multi and slowdown ect or limited geo mode but have it play smooth at butter? ;)

Stifler
04-02-2003, 08:22 PM
I'll be getting it once the price drops down a little.

EHWfedPres
04-02-2003, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Viper87227
well 1st of all from what I understand there is Geo Mode in mulitplayer its just very limited and nothing like in the single player game. But I must ask you which you would rather have...

Full Geo mode in multi and slowdown ect or limited geo mode but have it play smooth at butter? ;)

There is no geo-mod in multiplayer. Blowing up a wall to get to another room does not count because you can do that in several games. I'd rather dig tunnels at 30 fps rather than play a boring shooter at 60 fps because 30 and 60 fps is virtually the same.

Viper87227
04-02-2003, 09:11 PM
There is no geo-mod in multiplayer. Blowing up a wall to get to another room does not count because you can do that in several games. I'd rather dig tunnels at 30 fps rather than play a boring shooter at 60 fps because 30 and 60 fps is virtually the same.

Its boring w/o geo mod? is that what your saying? No offence but thats a stupid statement seeing as how NO games on xbox ot my knowedgehave any kind of geo mode like stuff.

Take Halo for instace, can you tunnel in that? No, so does that mean its just antoher boring FPS that runs at 60fps?

Your entitled to your opinons but I just think its stupid to say a game is boring because you cant tunnel into the ground (which I like anyways cuz if u could then people would just make holes so when you run over them you die or so they could camp in it and pop out as you run by)

EHWfedPres
04-02-2003, 09:13 PM
Its boring w/o geo mod? is that what your saying? No offence but thats a stupid statement seeing as how NO games on xbox ot my knowedgehave any kind of geo mode like stuff.

Take Halo for instace, can you tunnel in that? No, so does that mean its just antoher boring FPS that runs at 60fps?

Your entitled to your opinons but I just think its stupid to say a game is boring because you cant tunnel into the ground (which I like anyways cuz if u could then people would just make holes so when you run over them you die or so they could camp in it and pop out as you run by)

The reason why RF2 is boring with no geo-mod is because there is nothing else to set it apart from all the other generic shooters out there. halo is great without that, rf2 is not.

Viper87227
04-02-2003, 09:16 PM
The reason why RF2 is boring with no geo-mod is because there is nothing else to set it apart from all the other generic shooters out there. halo is great without that, rf2 is not.

um yeah.... RF2 is great without it as well in different ways. Its like a fast paced run and gun little gem! Plus I love it when you have dual guns and the left trigger shoots the left gun and the right trigger shoots the right gun instead of just both guns shooting at once its so cool.

Id might not be the most in depht story based game but it is still a blast to play and when you get some buds over mulitplayer will be nutz with or without geo mode

Stifler
04-02-2003, 09:37 PM
Red Faction 2 isn't going to be a ground breaking game, but it's going to be a solid title most likely worth investing some time and money into. Sure it's no Halo, but RF2 has it's own unique options to make it worthwile. Were all going to have different opinions on the game, but I believe that THQ has something going with the RF sequal.

skorp
04-02-2003, 10:16 PM
:eek: HELLYAH!! I'm getting it! :eek:

Hitman101
04-02-2003, 10:41 PM

One time in the PC version of RF1 me and my friend made a tunnel so long and high that it wrapped around that bonus stag twice and reached the top of the map !!! :eek:

nashpred31
04-03-2003, 05:31 AM
so most likely this game is one of those take a dive and hope to god you love it or wait and rent it then ask questions later... cause i dont trust peoples opinions totally on games these days its a matter of taste and what you want ya know

the_wank3r
04-03-2003, 08:06 AM
I'm gonna buy it. Or even better pray to trade for it :)

studepaber
04-03-2003, 08:38 AM

Have you played RF2 on 4 player splitscreen? So far I haven't found a FPSer that plays as smooth Halo on 4 player split (UC sux, Nightfire sux, Turok sux on split). Although my friends and I aren't tired of playing Halo on splitscreen we need another FPSer to play as well, so is it REALLY smooth as butter?

Unreal
04-04-2003, 07:17 AM
Im still waiting for EB in my area to get it.