PDA

View Full Version : Realism vs Cartoon?

Blind-RazoR
04-02-2003, 08:56 PM
So what would you prefer?

OuFtb
04-02-2003, 09:06 PM
Relistic Grafics over Cel Shading any time. Relistic Graphics add to the game, where Cel Shading just doesn't show anything great.

Cryogenic Pyro
04-02-2003, 10:14 PM
I prefer realistic graphics over cell shaded ones, but both are fairly good. Realistic graphics add to the effect of the game, say, Halo. They make it more interesting, and easier to get into because of the type of game, etc. On the other hand, a disney game(**** that, I hope they never make one for Xbox, and if they already have, then we are all doomed) on the other hand, cell shading would add a more cartoony feel whilst still having the graphics capabilities.

Nameless
04-02-2003, 10:53 PM
It all depeneds on the game. I have no real preference.

shrew king
04-02-2003, 11:13 PM
I think Cel-Shading is pretty cool, like Jet Set Radio Future, I think that game looked awesome, I hated the gameplay but visually, it was cool. With realistic graphics, I tend to notice the flaws a lot more, whereas Cel-Shading looks flawless (IMO). Overall I don't really care, but I am slightly partial to Cel-Shading.

the_wank3r
04-02-2003, 11:52 PM
lol. seems to me that cel-shading, mostly (PS2) shows how weak the system is when they have to run really crap graphics...and yet everyone thinks its cool. I think the more Graphics the better the game (Looks wise that is)

Master Gracey
04-02-2003, 11:59 PM
I think it depends on the style of the game. I could never see JSRF as a game with realistic graphics, just as I couldn't see Morrowind with cel shading.

A game's graphics are good if they enhance the environment. Graphics are bad when they clash with the game's style. Example: Robotech's cel shading = terrible!! It may have been a cartoon and that's what they were trying to emulate, but it came out awful for a game of that nature. On the other hand, the cel shading in Taz Wanted and Loons made the games works of art (too bad the creators forgot that games also have to be fun!)

MerimacHamwich
04-03-2003, 12:38 AM
I prefer realistic graphics.

Variation-XBA
04-03-2003, 01:48 AM
Halo2 should be cel shaded :P haha jk

nashpred31
04-03-2003, 05:37 AM
lol halo 2 with cel shading? LOL yea right and while we are at it why dont we make the president hulk hogan :D but either way dont matter to me. if it is supposed to be cartoony then cel shading is great but if it is like splinter cell type stuff and the real life type thing it has to be realistic or it will be a joke....how about a re-release of splinter cell with cel shading :D that would be actually funny and when people get hit or shoot guns and stuff they should do the old batman BAM WHAP ZOW BOOM stuff lol

Whisper
04-03-2003, 06:18 AM
i prefer realistic, but if the gameplay is very good ill play a cel shaded game too

Highlite23
04-03-2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Master Gracey
I think it depends on the style of the game. I could never see JSRF as a game with realistic graphics, just as I couldn't see Morrowind with cel shading.

A game's graphics are good if they enhance the environment. Graphics are bad when they clash with the game's style. Example: Robotech's cel shading = terrible!! It may have been a cartoon and that's what they were trying to emulate, but it came out awful for a game of that nature. On the other hand, the cel shading in Taz Wanted and Loons made the games works of art (too bad the creators forgot that games also have to be fun!)

Couldn't of said it better myself:D

studepaber
04-03-2003, 08:31 AM
I prefer realistic graphics over anything cell-shaded except Zelda, that game just flat out rules :eek: Lol Halo 2 cell-shaded would suck :confused:

LongBow
04-03-2003, 08:36 AM
Im with Master G on this one too. I do like realistic rendered graphics better though. Like fable, the face mesh looks great in that game, but it would be so bland if it was Cell shaded.
Lets keep that cell shadeing on the PS2 and GC :rolleyes:

Blind-RazoR
04-03-2003, 12:26 PM
If the game is fun, I does not matter what the graphics look like. Realistic is nice but I play games to get away from reality and I watch cartoons. I think it is a good change to make a couple games Cell Shaded.

Oh and sorry but there are a couple games coming to Xbox that are going to be cell shaded. :D

EHWfedPres
04-03-2003, 12:48 PM
Realistic is way better. I dont want to play a cartoon.

JJaX
04-03-2003, 01:03 PM
It depends on the theme of the game and what kind of vibe the creators are trying to accomplish

SiGuy
04-03-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by JJaX
It depends on the theme of the game and what kind of vibe the creators are trying to accomplish
I agree with you on this one. I couldnt see a game like Ghost Recon or Hitman 2 with Cell shaded graphics just as I couldnt see JSRF with realistic graphics, it would just ruin the game.

Wolf
04-03-2003, 04:53 PM
i prefer realistic graphics

DareDevil
04-03-2003, 05:23 PM
I prefer realistic graphics but i guess it depends on the type of game.

shrew king
04-03-2003, 05:37 PM
So what do you guys think about XIII? If you don't know what it is it is the FPS coming from Ubi-Soft. It will be done in cel-shading.

ARONO129
04-03-2003, 05:51 PM
Realistic graphics are better by far. imagine the kind of graphics we will see on the PS3 and Xbox2.

Nameless
04-03-2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by shrew king
So what do you guys think about XIII? If you don't know what it is it is the FPS coming from Ubi-Soft. It will be done in cel-shading.

I saw that on EP a while back. I think it looks good, almost like a comic you know?

Realistic graphics are better by far. imagine the kind of graphics we will see on the PS3 and Xbox2.
Where's Nintendo in that? They'll have great graphics too.

TheChunkyMidget
04-03-2003, 07:15 PM
realistic all the way.i like cel shaded games sometimes but it gets annoying to me,i dont know why,but realistic is my prefrence<<TYPO!!!

No Fear 23
04-03-2003, 07:21 PM
i cant stand cell shading.

y2kash_14
04-03-2003, 08:46 PM
for some strange reason, Cel-Shaded graphics impress me a lot more than realistic graphics. I just don't see what people have against cell shading. When it's done right (Zelda: WW) its a master-piece.