PDA

View Full Version : Component Video Switcher

techie
12-02-2001, 08:47 PM
Does anyone know if there is a switch box available for component video (RGB)? I currently run my DVD player into the component video of my television and have to switch cables everytime I want to play the X-Box. And no, I do not want to use the DVD feature of the X-Box since my Pioneer is the top of the line and unfortunately the X-Box just does not compare in either video playback quality or features.

It would be really great if the switch box could not only handle multiple component inputs but also handle switching optical as well for the audio. I know I'm asking a lot, but I cannot believe I am the only one with this problem of needing to switch back and forth between multiple audio/video components needing the same input.

SACK
12-03-2001, 07:26 AM
http://www.videocapturecard.com/svideo4to1.html

I got that just by typing "component video" switch, using yahoo.

I actually can use one too. I have the same situation techie.

Fourstarr558
12-03-2001, 09:32 AM
My roommate came up with the idea that an AV switcher you can get at radioshack would work. I did a little research and some testing and it does. as long as you have optical sound running to a reveiver. Since the av switcher only has 3 inputs there is no room for the other 2 coords that deal with sound.
<br>
Av switcher link (http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F002%5F002%5F001%5F000&product%5Fid=15%2D1587)
<br>
on a side note my roommate just said that you could get 2 of them and use the other one for sound.

Hugh_Jass
12-03-2001, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Fourstarr558
My roommate came up with the idea that an AV switcher you can get at radioshack would work. I did a little research and some testing and it does. as long as you have optical sound running to a reveiver. Since the av switcher only has 3 inputs there is no room for the other 2 coords that deal with sound.
<br>
Av switcher link (http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F002%5F002%5F001%5F000&product%5Fid=15%2D1587)
<br>
on a side note my roommate just said that you could get 2 of them and use the other one for sound.

The impedence is different between audio and video. You could damage your equipment.

SACK -- Your link does not switch component video.

SACK
12-03-2001, 12:47 PM
This is straight from the ad:

S-Video Plus Composite Video and Stereo Audio 4-to-1 Switch that can also be used as a Component Video Switch.

Heyyoudvd
12-03-2001, 08:31 PM
is there any way to do the same thing with composite (not component) video?

I use composite for my console and my sony dvd player since my tv is old and doesn't support Svideo or component video.

SACK
12-04-2001, 06:17 AM
Click on the link I provided and you'll have the answer...yes.

techie
12-04-2001, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the info Sack, I had actually thought about trying the same thing since I had a leftover composite switcher from the "old days" of my pro-logic system.

But I believe Hugh_Jass is correct that the impedence is different between audio and video. Although, if the switcher was made using the same grade cable for both the L/R audio input and the single video input it shouldn't matter since it would be nothing more than a pass-through. That is of course barring that none of the cables pass through a circuit board designed to regulate the signal via resistors/capacitors and or transistors.

That still leaves the problem of switching audio, and since I use optical on both the DVD player and the X-Box I run into a problem of programming the digital input on my Amp. It will only allow the DVD player to be assigned to one digital input. I wonder if assigning the X-Box optical input to MiniDisc would decode DD5.1 and or DTS? I'll have to give it a try and see what happens.

I just checked Radio Shack's web site (thanks Fourstarr558) and found a Deluxe Audio/Video Selector for $149 that can support up to 6 inputs including composite, s-video and optical, but sadly no component. If the component input from the DVD and the X-Box could be run through the composite inputs this might be the way to go. I'm heading up to the Shack and I'll update once I find out some more info.

SACK
12-05-2001, 04:16 AM
I'm sure if you keep searching you'll find something. Just make sure you let us know what you find :)

Let me throw a curveball in the mix..non xbox.. I want to hook my pc into my SAMSUNG TANTUS 55" that has a vga port right on the back.... but it is INTERLACED. Does anyone know of a VGA to component video converter? When I first read a review of the TV I purchased the guy mentioned the terrible signal using the VGA port but tried using one of these converters and it had almost pc monitor quality afterwards, I havent been able to find one :(

techie
12-06-2001, 12:21 AM
Hey Sack

During my "Safari" looking for the right audio/video switcher I came across this little item and thought you might be interested.

http://www.smarthome.com/77706.html

It does VGA to component and compared to a couple of others I came across this had the best price.

I have found several AV switchers that will do component and optical, the downside is they run from $300 to $1000 in price for an active unit. Although I did find a JVC made passive switcher for video only, that will accept up to 3 component inputs to 1 output that can be purchased for around $100 or less depending on where you find it. I haven't made it by the Shack yet to check things out there. I'm determined to get the X-Box in the loop the way it should be, until then I'll keep ya posted.

SACK
12-06-2001, 05:36 AM
Thanks for the info!

techie
12-08-2001, 06:16 PM
Okay here's what I've found out so far, active switch boxes that do component video and optical are expensive! I've solved the problem as far as audio is concerned, I have 4 digital audio inputs on my home theatre amp, 2 optical and 2 coaxial. One was assigned to the DVD player and now the other optical input is assigned to MD (Mini Disc) with the signal set to digital and THX Cinema for audio decoding, this is the one I'm using for the X-Box and viola! Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS decoding for the X-Box!! Sweet!

Now for the video, I have found some information on using a composite video switcher for component inputs. The only real problem (beside possible signal degrading) is that the Green component cable must be plugged into the Composite Video input which is usually yellow on most setups. This is due to the fact that the green component line is also the video switching line. I haven't tested this as yet myself since I'll have to dig through some boxes to find my old active composite video switcher, I really do not want to use a cheap passive unit since it may degrade signal strength.

There is a passive component video switcher that supports 3 component inputs to 1 output that I have found for as little as $69 USD, but the company was out of stock and couldn't tell me if they were going to get any more in. The model is JVC JXS111 Video Switcher.

Dangerslut
12-09-2001, 10:12 AM
I just bought that model a day ago online.I payed more than 69 bucks too.I have the same problem as you:I do not have enough component inputs.
I have a rca hdtv 38 inch widescreen(i forget the model #).As soon as I recive the switcher I will tell you if its worth it.
I have been looking around and most switcher are about 500 dollars.
Tv manufactures should start adding at least 2 component inputs in high end sets.
Now for the audio.I have all hooked up to a bose lifestyle system.
While it sound great its not 5.1.I wish I could upgrade the unit with bose....Oh well,I can see myself turnning in a monster trying to keep up with technology...HeHe:) :)

techie
12-09-2001, 05:10 PM
Definately post some info about the JVC switcher. I'm still thinking about buying one, I am just a little unsure about using a passive switcher. I'm sorry to hear you paid more for it though, I hope it wasn't much more. Here's the link to where I found it for $69.00:

http://www.etronics.com/listproducts.asp?prod_type=Video%2FVideo_Editing%2FAV_Switchers

Again, they are currently out of stock and couldn't tell me when they would be getting more in. I've been out running around town all day so I haven't as yet had a chance to try using a composite switcher as a component switch box, I'll post something as soon as I find something out though.