PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting tired of Xbox controller putdowns from reviewers...

TegSkywalker
04-08-2003, 05:39 PM
I've heard my share of game reviews, IGN Head to Head articles, and others complaining about how the Xbox controller seems to be the worst out of the multiconsole group. I had some beefs with the original controller, but Controller S is about as comfortable as I want a controller to be. I was reading this Soul Calibur 2 preview at http://gamespy.com/previews/april03/soulcalibur2multi/index.shtml that makes some minor complaints about comparing the Cube and Xbox versions. It was this quote:

"Personally, I keep wavering between GameCube and Xbox. The Xbox version is superior in most respects, except for the controller, and the fact that I like Link better than Spawn. Ah, such tough decisions we gamers must face"

This kinda gets on my nerves and has been because I have used all 3 consoles and I think the PS2 Dual Shock is way over rated. The analog sticks are too loose, feel out of place at times, and two shoulder buttons on each side of the controller feels like overkill sometimes. Still, it wins the "best control" categories which is stupid. Maybe the game reviewers are too used to the controller from the PS1 days, but oh well.

What do you guys think?

Xbox Owner
04-08-2003, 05:48 PM
who cares..that's their problem if they can't come up with anything better than the dissing the xbox controller, that's their fault.

japes1
04-08-2003, 05:57 PM
Yeah the industry always has to put a spin on stuff, you know make it tit for tat. Wouldn't want to appear bias.

JimmieDoogan
04-08-2003, 07:00 PM
I like the PS2's odd four button Dpad better than I do Xbox's... even controller S... when in the heat of battle of games such as 2D fighters or Extreme sports games like THPS3-4 and Dave Mirra's and I'm moving my thumbs too fast to think, I sometimes hit up left when trying to press up, or down right when trying to press down... My buddies have expressed the same problem. With plenty of practice it's not a problem anymore, but I still prefer the PS2 pad. Other than that I think the Controller S is superior to all other controllers ever concieved. In fact, aside from the Dpad I would choose the regular xbox controller over the PS2. I think it feels much more solid than any other controller I've used, and my hands cramp up when using the other pads... they're just too small. I guess the guy's at IGN just have small hands... nomads... smell like cabbage... ;)

wweomaniac
04-08-2003, 07:05 PM
I personally think that S-controllers Dpad is the best out right now. I dont like the dpad on the normal controller at all. Long playing time with it, hurts your hands.

The feel of the scontroller is also the best, and IMO, its the worse on GCN. I really can't imagine a controller better than Controller S, unless it was controller s with the black and white buttons in a different position.

l Maximus l
04-08-2003, 07:09 PM
Personally, I believe that the dude has a right to his opinion and it should be known as only that. Just because he hates the XBox controller, whether it be the regular or S-type, is his perogative and only represents his opinion....not fact.

He's also a stubborn idiot...but, then again, that's my opinion :D

xboxman_1
04-08-2003, 07:11 PM
I guess the guy's at IGN just have small hands... nomads... smell like cabbage...
lol, but isnt it "carnies," not nomads?

Cryogenic Pyro
04-08-2003, 09:32 PM
I really do like the Controller S. This is my most liked controller for any system ever made, and I even have hands big enough to easily use a normal Xbox Controller. The thing wrong with the normal Xbox Controller is that the right thumstick has almost no grip to it. The PS2 controllers were good for the year before Xbox came out.

LynxFX
04-08-2003, 09:40 PM
I got out of console gaming years ago because of the small controllers that give you carpal tunnel after 5 minutes of playing. Dreamcast was ok and a step in the right direction. Xbox original has been my favorite controller yet.

As for the reviewer, I think he has little to complain about with the Xbox since it is the only console that has such a vast array of controller sizes and designs. Pick one.

Oh well, you know what they say about opinions...

ShannonX
04-08-2003, 10:35 PM
i prefer the original. I've used the S-controller and it hurst my hands after 5 or 10 minutes of use. just to small for me. If i was 10 years old, i would probably like it. Thats another reason i hated sony's controllers, to small.

Brevity
04-08-2003, 11:02 PM
I have big hands and would never even dream of using the s-troller.

l Maximus l
04-09-2003, 12:17 AM
I'm partial to the phatty controller, too...I've played hours stacked upon hours of Halo with it and have yet to get the slightest cramp. Also, I have no idea what drives people to go buy a Mad Catz controller with the rubber gribs or, better yet, the Air Flow controller that has fans to dry off your sweaty hands. Not only do they have a different feel to them, but, if your hands sweat that bad, may I recommend picking up an air conditioner or playing inside the house instead of being in the blazing sun. :rolleyes:

japes1
04-09-2003, 12:24 AM
I love the controller-s. I remember when I bought it, I didn't think I would like it. I was just buying it so I would have an extra one but as soon as I took it out of the packaging I knew it was going to be my main controller.

TegSkywalker
04-09-2003, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by japes1
I love the controller-s. I remember when I bought it, I didn't think I would like it. I was just buying it so I would have an extra one but as soon as I took it out of the packaging I knew it was going to be my main controller.

Heh, you brought up the packaging for the controllers... those were quite a ***** to open. :confused:

japes1
04-09-2003, 01:04 AM
Yeah I don't even attempt to open stuff like that without a steak knife.

ARONO129
04-10-2003, 10:15 PM
I didn't think that I would like the Controller-S (Didn't like the way it looked, go figure) but after using it I got to really like it alot.

Cyclone
04-11-2003, 04:11 PM
Personally I love the Controller-S. The only problem I had with it though is the placement of the Start and Back button. I felt they should be in the middle but I quickly got over that because the control is very comfortable.

BattleAxe2006
04-11-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Shannon-XBA
i prefer the original. I've used the S-controller and it hurst my hands after 5 or 10 minutes of use. just to small for me. If i was 10 years old, i would probably like it. Thats another reason i hated sony's controllers, to small.

I totally agree. That was pretty much what i was gonna type. :)