PDA

View Full Version : Xbox = slaughtering cube in sales. Got proof!

TegSkywalker
04-09-2003, 12:40 AM
"Nintendo's projection that 10 million GameCubes would be sold by March 31, 2003 went unmet. The company had only sold 5.6 million GCNs by that period. Microsoft has sold more than eight million Xbox systems around the world since the console's release, according to Bloomberg. "

http://cube.ign.com/articles/392/392735p1.html

It's not an Insider article, so feel free to click for more info

I also thought the Cube was closer in sales, but you can't assume everything! :)

japes1
04-09-2003, 12:46 AM
I predict that the gc will go belly up before this year is over with.

Himji
04-09-2003, 03:55 AM
nintendo have made enough money rom the gamer market to not worry about a possible flop.

They'll bring out thier next gen regardless plus I think they'll keep up the support to ensure they don't alienate thier current fanbase.

Reclaimer
04-09-2003, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by japes1

You have predicted poorly. They'll be around for along time to come.

Man, you'll get flamed saying that kind fo stuff around here.

ARONO129
04-09-2003, 07:52 AM

Don't worry about getting flamed by making that statement you are entitled to your opinion. And you could very well be right about the GC going belly up. The console doesn't have much to offer IMO.

Xbox Owner
04-09-2003, 10:19 AM
I don't get how that's possible.. because I heard GC was outselling Xbox (for like a month) cause of Zelda..and outsold PS2 in some area's too?

VeNoMiZA
04-09-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Xbox Owner
I don't get how that's possible.. because I heard GC was outselling Xbox (for like a month) cause of Zelda..and outsold PS2 in some area's too? lol szee how it bit them in the ass? LOL. hehe funny oh well.

Duke
04-09-2003, 11:02 AM
Yeah, actually if I can find the article, it was reported that Nintendo was outselling all other consoles recently. Of course that has to do w/ them releasing their holiday lineup a couple months after the holidays, but I really don't think they'll go belly up.

I don't own one, but I think the more competition the better.

I am happy that xbox has been outselling gc more or less consistently, but by that logic, then xbox is going out of business because Sony is selling more.

EHWfedPres
04-09-2003, 11:25 AM
Thats good news for the xbox. I hope the cube dies and takes its crap games and Fisher-Price controller with it.

LTM360
04-09-2003, 01:42 PM
I have a GC and IMO its actually very underrated, just as PS2 is very overrated. I didn't give GC a chance for a few years. Once I played Metroid Prime I was hooked. I traded PS2, and got GC. Metroid Prime, Zelda: Wind Waker, RE, RE0, and Eternal Darkness are some of the best games I've ever played. And Eternal Darkness is definetly the most odd game I've ever played. But Its my #5 favorite Game of All Time.

No Fear 23
04-09-2003, 02:03 PM
i beleive that gamecube targets younger gamers, while xbox and pos2 targets older gamers. what nitendo needs to do is to make games for older gamers and they could have a chance to be in the race with xbox and pos2.

just my thoughts

TegSkywalker
04-09-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by DukeBuckhorn
Yeah, actually if I can find the article, it was reported that Nintendo was outselling all other consoles recently. Of course that has to do w/ them releasing their holiday lineup a couple months after the holidays, but I really don't think they'll go belly up.

I don't own one, but I think the more competition the better.

I am happy that xbox has been outselling gc more or less consistently, but by that logic, then xbox is going out of business because Sony is selling more.

Nintendo likes to say they are bigger than what they are. I wouldn't mind the GameCube fading out of existence soon. I'm sure there are loyals to the Nintendo brand, but as it stands right now, it's just a waste of shelf space.

japes1
04-09-2003, 02:51 PM
You got that right. I think that is what is wrong with the entire industry, there is to many consoles on the market.

Nameless
04-09-2003, 03:07 PM
You got that right. I think that is what is wrong with the entire industry, there is to many consoles on the market.

There's 3...You people who want the other companies to go out of business are hillarious. Because the moment the crap games come out out you'll al whine. Why will crap games come out? Because developers will have no reason to make quality one due to the fact ppl can't get them anywhere else. The more competiton the better imo. GC is a good system for the record.

japes1
04-09-2003, 03:18 PM
How realistic is it to have 2 of the 3 consoles, some people even have all 3. I say pick the best one and forget the other 2. I think that is how it is going to be eventually.

wweomaniac
04-09-2003, 03:47 PM
Thats because people only buy gamecubes for their first party games. No one buys it for the third party games. And how many first party games are there? well... thats why.

And I also think that there are too many consoles on the market right now. Theres been a history of only 2 consoles surviving when a third console arrives.

l Maximus l
04-09-2003, 04:09 PM

I definately don't believe that Nintendo's GameCube will go belly up before the end of the year, but, I do believe that if Nintendo makes the GameCube successor, a new and better Nintendo console, that is not backwards compatible, I believe it would dig a huge grave for Nintendo's future.

Nameless
04-09-2003, 07:57 PM
Max, isn't your sig too big?

VeNoMiZA
04-09-2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Nameless
Max, isn't your sig too big? Nope it isnt.

EHWfedPres
04-09-2003, 09:00 PM
Overall...yeah, but the pic itself is not.

No Fear 23
04-09-2003, 09:11 PM
lol, they should make a simpsons fps game. homer, saving the world!

xboxman_1
04-09-2003, 09:22 PM
Back on topic -

i beleive that gamecube targets younger gamers, while xbox and pos2 targets older gamers. what nitendo needs to do is to make games for older gamers and they could have a chance to be in the race with xbox and pos2.

::: takes out clipboard :::
Thats about the 50,000,000,000 time thats been said.

VeNoMiZA
04-09-2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by xboxman_1
Back on topic -

::: takes out clipboard :::
Thats about the 50,000,000,000 time thats been said. LOL yeah it is... maybe it issaid so much because its true? :P

xboxman_1
04-09-2003, 09:41 PM
Not even gonna argue, you can think what you want.

VeNoMiZA
04-09-2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by xboxman_1
Not even gonna argue, you can think what you want. Thank you I KNOW i can think what i want. isnt that waht makes america great?

Cryogenic Pyro
04-09-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by VeNoMiZA
Thank you I KNOW i can think what i want. isnt that waht makes america great?
Canada too, long live free speech.

Back on topic:

I agree with Maximus. If GameCube doesn't release something good in the next-gen systems, they are screwed. They already left out a lot of features that the other two systems had, and if they keep doing it well... Bye, bye, GC, and hello Third-Party Fisher Price controllers for Xbox2 and PS3.

Knight
04-10-2003, 09:20 AM
Anyone have the number of games for the XBox sold since the release?

Highlite23
04-10-2003, 09:39 PM
I think Maximus brought up a good point, Nintendo has a history of changing media types from system to system, forcing consumers to re-purchase titles. Obviuosly there are Nintendo die-hards, but I think the crowd is shrinking.

Let's face it, Nintendos cash cow is the Game Boy, so much so, it's releasing the Game Boy game adapter for the cube. (Yes, you will be able to play your GBA games on your Cube)

Personally I think thats were Nintendos problem lies...they refuse to let go of the cutsy, kiddie, image. From system design, to colors, and games.

Example of the tide possibly changing...Game Boy Advance SP, sleek design, comes in Platinum and Indigo for those who just can't let go.

The next Nintendo system, if there is one, needs to be modern, on-line ready, 1 color, and backwards compatible. IMO.

As far as multiple systems...we have all three in our home, I have no games for the GC, it's basically my sons system. I have 4 games for my PS2, mostly RPG's. But I think i speek for many...even with 3 systems you tend to gravitate twords 1. Me, I gravitate to my XBOX still.

JonTheCanuck
04-16-2003, 06:58 PM
gamecube = ***cube

Felon's Ghost
04-17-2003, 11:43 PM
Nintendo will most likley realease one more system then go strictly into game development after that system flops. Nintendo cannot compete with Microsoft/Sony. Thier orginal plan seemed to be a family oriented machine with moral friendly titles that would be great for families. Nintendo cant compete with car jackings, cop killings, bikini clad volleyball (what a waste of a CD), and every other game that screams anti-establishment. Nintendo must revamp its image to stay alive.

VenoM
04-18-2003, 04:04 AM
Originally posted by Felon's Ghost
Nintendo will most likley realease one more system then go strictly into game development after that system flops. Nintendo cannot compete with Microsoft/Sony. Thier orginal plan seemed to be a family oriented machine with moral friendly titles that would be great for families. Nintendo cant compete with car jackings, cop killings, bikini clad volleyball (what a waste of a CD), and every other game that screams anti-establishment. Nintendo must revamp its image to stay alive.

and thats why zelda broke all records and sold more then gta lame city :rolleyes:

TegSkywalker
04-18-2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by VenoM

and thats why zelda broke all records and sold more then gta lame city :rolleyes:

Actually, that was for preorders. As for actual sales, GTA Vice City has sold around 6-8 million copies compared to maybe a million for Zelda: TTW

Get your fact straight :)

VenoM
04-18-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by TegSkywalker

Actually, that was for preorders. As for actual sales, GTA Vice City has sold around 6-8 million copies compared to maybe a million for Zelda: TTW

Get your fact straight :)

yea but the fact is zelda sold more then gta at launch..there were more zelda copies going out the door on zelda's launch date..not talking about total sales right now after launch which the gta has been out longer then zelda anyways....zelda just came out recently

Nameless
04-18-2003, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by JonTheCanuck
gamecube = ***cube

Boy that never gets old :rolleyes:.

lotec16
04-20-2003, 10:27 PM
you said how many games gc sold but not any of the other systems game total. does n e one know? how many has halo sold?(duh over a million, a little more exact than that) i am assuming halo has sold the most, if i am wronge tell me

Peepers
04-22-2003, 03:04 PM

While there's no question the GC is not meeting Nintendo's financial expectations I doubt it will go belly up. I think Nintendo will make a profit, albeit below expectations, before the GC retires and their next console (which I think they've decided to make) debutes.

Dyslexic Chaos
04-22-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by VenoM

yea but the fact is zelda sold more then gta at launch..there were more zelda copies going out the door on zelda's launch date..not talking about total sales right now after launch which the gta has been out longer then zelda anyways....zelda just came out recently

Well, I'm sure everyone here knows that the only reason that Zelda had such high pre-orders is because u got Ocarina of Time and Master Quest for free. Don't kid yourself, thats the only reason. Hell, thats why I pre-ordered it. But in terms of total sales, Zelda won't beat Vice City, quite frankly because there are too many PS2's. Even if every single GC owner buys Zelda, thats only like 6.8 million or whatever copies, as compared to Vice Cities already 8 million copies with plenty or room to grow. I know its not fare, I love both games and OWN both games, but thats the way things go sometimes...

CARDINALS RULE
04-22-2003, 05:57 PM
hahah whoever said they should make a simpsons FPS is a genius...that would be the sweetest game ever...especially if homer went DOPE everytime he got killed.

matt_ch86
04-22-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Nameless

Boy that never gets old :rolleyes:. i dont like when people diss other consoles... its not cool at all.

Nameless00
04-22-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by matt_ch86
i dont like when people diss other consoles... its not cool at all.

Ok...I wasn't dissing the console...

matt_ch86
04-22-2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Nameless00

not you... I'm talking about JontheCanuck. you quoted him as to saying ***cube.

Dyslexic Chaos
04-22-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Nameless00

um, i think he was agreeing with you man...

Nameless00
04-23-2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by matt_ch86

not you... I'm talking about JontheCanuck. you quoted him as to saying ***cube.

Ah ah, ok my bad. Just usually when I'm quoted I think I'm being talked to.

GrizzlySuit
04-24-2003, 07:46 PM
xbox is better than the cube... tho i think it's had the most sales of all time

BlindSniper
04-24-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by TegSkywalker
"Nintendo's projection that 10 million GameCubes would be sold by March 31, 2003 went unmet. The company had only sold 5.6 million GCNs by that period. Microsoft has sold more than eight million Xbox systems around the world since the console's release, according to Bloomberg. "

http://cube.ign.com/articles/392/392735p1.html

It's not an Insider article, so feel free to click for more info

I also thought the Cube was closer in sales, but you can't assume everything! :)

haha thats great. Although I have a cube...but XBOX IS WAAAAY better.,

GrizzlySuit
04-24-2003, 07:50 PM
yahhh a cube owner xbox fan!!!

Arrakis44
04-25-2003, 04:38 PM
I read an article in Edge just b4 Xmas and according to them, GC was at the bottom of the ladder in terms of console sales. I dont have the issue to hand but im pretty sure the PS2 was selling the most, followed closely by the XBox and the GC was trailing very far behind.

As far as i understand GC sales have been up over the past few months though, so im not sure if theyll go the way of the Dreamcast just yet.

Arven
04-28-2003, 10:02 AM
The way I imagine this playing out, Nintendo will eventually stop fighting their "kiddie" image and embrace it. There is a huge market for the kids (<13) who want to play video games but whose parents are concerned about violence. The way I see it, either Nintendo specializes in the children's market, or they play a distant third, eventually focusing only on handhelds.

But I'm no fortune-teller, so who knows. I do know that a lot of people will be very sad, if Nintendo exits the console market. You thought the weeping and knashing of teeth was bad when Sega withdrew...whew...just wait until Nintendo does.

:cry:

Arrakis44
04-28-2003, 03:27 PM
Sounds all to possible to me Arven, i dont think Nintendo will give up the console market as quickly as Sega did though, if they do go, and thats still a pretty big if, then i think theyll draw it out long enough to secure other investments, such as the handheld market as u mentioned.