PDA

View Full Version : Could this site have MORE ad banners???

SACK
12-03-2001, 12:41 PM
Man I love this site!

BUT...... COME ON this is ridiculous. Every stinkin screenshot pops up more ad banners! I have never seen so many ad banners generated by a site.

Isn't this a little extreme?

Sachile_
12-03-2001, 12:54 PM
heres a little trick, just minnimze them, they wont pop up any more. and you can surf XBA all you want, add free!
whoohoo! <(^_^<)

l Maximus l
12-03-2001, 12:55 PM
Yeah, I hate pop ups, too...but, the quality of this site outweighs this inconvenience. :p Way to go XBoxAddict.com!!!!!

SACK
12-03-2001, 12:57 PM
I agree, this is the best gaming site I have ever come across. I understand that it is ultimately a business, but even the most successful high profile sites Anandtech.com as example don't hammer the user with THAT many banners. Build the ads on the page somewhere itself or something.

VAN
12-03-2001, 12:58 PM
:::awaits angry reply from the admin stating that they serve 5 zillion gigs of transfer each month which equates to $1,000.00 or more in fees....plus hosting:::::

While bandwidth is like gold on the web, I strongly doubt this site is pulling in any traffic which would require more than one or 2 banners to offset costs.

This site is part of an entire "xbox network", and if you visit any of the other sites, you'll see they have the same pop-ups, and the same quantity of them.

Frustrating indeed, but unfortunately is sometimes deemed a necessary evil.

You could always install a pop-up killer application, SACK. :)

SACK
12-03-2001, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the info.

Ninja Scroll
12-03-2001, 02:53 PM
Im gonna make mine short & 2 sweeeeeeeeeeeet!!:D

Plain and simple, pop ups suck a$$, but everyone,.... this is how these guys have to make their paper to survive.
Just something we all have to except for a website that's very much so worth it:D

SACK
12-03-2001, 05:58 PM
Ninja Scroll,

I agree that to sustain a site of this quality ads are necessary but I totally disagree with their methods. Take a look at other websites that are a major success, checkout the site I mentioned above:

www.anandtech.com

That site makes a ton of cash without annoying popups because they blend ads into the normal site... a MUCH better solution.

As for me, I downloaded a pop-up killer. I love this site don't get me wrong, it IS one of the best designed sites I have seen... especially this forum (by far the best) BUT to generate a pop-up on EACH screenshot you look at??? Come on!!!! I watched the pop-up killer and after only about 5 minutes of checking out screenshots the killer already blocked over 60 ad banners... that is 60 annoyances IMO.

Also ad-popups make it REAL hard to websurf at work and quickly close a window when the big guy walks up :) hahahah.

SACK

smack119
12-03-2001, 11:59 PM
you know.....when i come here using netscape i dont get pop ups:D it is only when i use explorer....but of course when i use netscape the home page doesnt load right

Ninja Scroll
12-04-2001, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by SACK
Ninja Scroll,

I agree that to sustain a site of this quality ads are necessary but I totally disagree with their methods. Take a look at other websites that are a major success, checkout the site I mentioned above:

www.anandtech.com

That site makes a ton of cash without annoying popups because they blend ads into the normal site... a MUCH better solution.

As for me, I downloaded a pop-up killer. I love this site don't get me wrong, it IS one of the best designed sites I have seen... especially this forum (by far the best) BUT to generate a pop-up on EACH screenshot you look at??? Come on!!!! I watched the pop-up killer and after only about 5 minutes of checking out screenshots the killer already blocked over 60 ad banners... that is 60 annoyances IMO.

Also ad-popups make it REAL hard to websurf at work and quickly close a window when the big guy walks up :) hahahah.

SACK HEY SACK!
Slim, I do da same ***** like you
:cool:

Im at work hitting up this forum up alot of times at work too:D
And hey, when da big man tries to peep me out with the quickness I minamis my screen and guess what:confused:

The da@mn pop up ads are on my basic screens:mad: :( :mad:
what gives wit dat?!

At the same time im trying to be slick and the ads are trying to screw me over:eek:

I am Ninja Jubei, I dont deserve this! Im a hero to you all!!!

SACK
12-04-2001, 11:38 AM
:) :) :) Thats awesome!

l Maximus l
12-04-2001, 01:51 PM
Uh...oh yeah...Ninja Scroll is my hero...Like, uh...oh yea....hmmm....right on? :D