PDA

View Full Version : Question about Surround Sound.

Salo_Fan
12-03-2001, 06:31 PM
I plan on buying some speakers.

Do I need the advanced AV pack?
Does surround sound work for the Xbox? I heard there are some problems.
How do I know if my TV supports Dolby Surround Sound 5.1?

Thanks in advance.

An indepth answer is requested.

Frostberg
12-03-2001, 11:15 PM
Hmm I think you are a little confused. If you want dolby digital 5.1 yes, you need the advanced av pack. You can also get the new Xbox Gamelink cables made by monster cable and the optical sound addition thing. Monster cables own the advanced av pack, especially if you have component input. For the optical sound, It doesnt plug into your tv , it goes into your receiver. It uses the optical in on your receiver. If you also got one of those gaming sets that are kind of cheap it would work, but its best to get a real home theater system so everything can be hooked up to the thing. Also it would suck to buy speakers only for your Xbox. The TV doesnt "support" surround sound because it isint a receiver. You need a receiver that supports it, which they all do now adays. I was lookin into those moderately priced sony home theater packages, but I just might get that $299 RCA home theater in a box (lol might as well center my life around boxes!)

Shadowhawk
12-03-2001, 11:37 PM
Frostberg,

At all costs, avoid that RCA 'home theater in a box'! If you really want a decent setup like that, the Sony ones are nice, but ones that get pretty decent reviews are the Kenwood units. The HTB-504 includes the Kenwood VR-507 receiver and your 5.1 speaker setup, albeit the speakers aren't that high end. Still, the one's I've setup for friends that couldn't afford anything more have been VERY well received.

Personally I'ld save my money and see if I could get myself a decent bundle from a local shop. Maybe go for the Kenwood VR-509 (or 510 if THX is important to you; it isn't to me) and a decent set of PSB, Energy, Diva or RHB speakers. A lot more impressive than any 'htb' but also more costly.

If you want more info, check out the forums I've listed below:

http://www.avsforum.com

http://www.hometheaterforum.com

Good luck! :)