PDA

View Full Version : Hockey Game Idea

Mr.MoJoRiSiN
04-14-2003, 06:39 PM
Don't know if this idea was ever posted in these forums or not, so pardon me if you've heard this many times before....and if you haven't, consider it a possible game idea forum monitors get on the horn and talk to some people at Xbox for me!! I want credit if the idea goes though too!!:D

We notice that ESPN has a hockey game franchise, but consider this idea....a Canadian version, CBC Hockey Night In Canada for the xbox.....and have CANADIAN broadcasters announce and color commentate the game.

Canadians know that one thing wrong with American broadcasters ( no offense to anyone that is American, I apologize ) is that they don't get into the game enough, they don't give enough emotion....listen to an American broadcast, and a Canadian broadcast, and you'd admit that the Canadian is better.

Another "Canadian" feature of the game would have it look like a game does on the CBC station...what I mean by this is the colors and light density and all that lighting stuff..how the game looks to you overall...just seems more natural,Canada style...while the ESPN (again, I'm really sorry, once again I apologize ) station uses too many colors, and too much light, it looks more like entertainment then sport.. I might not make sense to some people, but people who know what I am talking about will understand, obviously:)

I read in a Playstation mag once that there was gonna be a CBC version of the game, but it wasn't made because the gaming systems didn't think it would fit in the...once again...American market......come on Americans get interested!! you wouldn't regret it!!!

Vote in the poll, interested?? lemme know!!

P.S. I think another good idea for hockey games would be to save instant replays!! every game should have it!!

EHWfedPres
04-14-2003, 06:45 PM
Damn you got a long sig...

anyway, why shouldnt there be a canadian hockey game...there's 8 hundred million baseball games that all suck and friggen college games that feature people that will be forgotten in 2 or 3 years anyway...

VenoM
04-14-2003, 06:57 PM
funny thing is most commentators on espn and other sport channels commentating a hockey game are canadian :rolleyes: im sorry but theres no one better then John Davidson and Sam Rosen calling a game...the ny ranger commentators ownzzz :D

ARONO129
04-14-2003, 07:12 PM
Ron McLean and Don Cherry ARE hockey. Great idea. Microsoft should rename their NHL Rivals game to Hockey Night. Leave the "In Canada" part out to appeal to the American audience and have Don Cherry and Ron McLean do the play by play.

Mr.MoJoRiSiN
04-14-2003, 07:40 PM
VenoM..Eventhough they might be Canadian, they are still working for an American station, so they gotta broadcast how they want it broadcast...

ARONO129.. I agree that Don Cherry and Ron Mclean ARE hockey, however having them do the game wouldn't be a good idea. I don't think they have the speed and energy to talk that long, well Don maybe yeah, but I think he'd get off into a story and miss half the game, people listening to the playoffs online ( LEAFS ) wanna feel like they are there!!

Joe Bowen and Harry Neale should do it, listening to them right now, and I'm so into it right now, they make you feel like you are there.....boy oh boy.... and why leave out "In Canada"???
Are you ashamed to be Canadian??? I'm sure as hell not, keep it in there!!! If someone doesn't want a game because they hate another country that much, then to hell with them!

SBC31
04-14-2003, 09:39 PM
I like the idea of a HNIC, but this may not make the game as popular in some areas. Simply having a game called NHL Hockey Night is okay, but I think ESPN uses this already.

Finally, if you want Neale and Cole as commentators, get NHL 2K for the dreamcast. They were the announcers in that game, but unfortunately the play by play wasn't great in the game.

GO SENS GO!

Mr.MoJoRiSiN
04-14-2003, 09:42 PM
You were on a role until the GO SENS GO part

LONG LIVE THE LEAFS!! :D

CrazyCougar
04-15-2003, 12:56 AM
Personally, I dont want to see a "watered down" version of a hockey game. Meaning taking all the glitz and glamour out of the game like ESPN presents it would be bad for a fan like me. Now I understand that is not appealing to the true hockey fans in Canada, but for me its the way I have perceived hockey for all of my life. Why would I want to go backwards in presentation? I have season tix to my local AHL team and enjoy that very much and love the dark arena feeling of the game. But for a video game? Nah, I wouldnt care for it.

Now as for commentary. All the sports games out there could use a boost including hockey. A littl emore excitement is definitely needed, an no matter who that voice maybe (canadian or american) it needs to be in the game.

Young_Fledgling
04-15-2003, 12:54 PM
basically the only thing a canadian hockey game would be good for is the commentary and overall presentation.

I am guessing it would be rushed and the gameplay and graphics would be just lame... but you need don cherry in there between periods and the commentators from hockey night in canada.. that would rule!

Mr.MoJoRiSiN
04-15-2003, 01:00 PM
Why rush the game??? That's probably the most useless idea for any game, do it justice, give it the time and tender lovin' care it needs!!! Developers and everyone invovled should be ashamed of themselves for rushing any kinda game like that, not only does it make them look bad, but also their company, and the xbox system as well!!!

Like I was saying make the game a total Canadian one, call it Hockey Night In Canada....have Joe Bowen and Harry Neale commentate, and have Ron Mclean and Grapes in between periods for an analysis.

Sure it might take time, but it would totally change the way hockey is done, make it a worth experience!!
Make in between periods just as interesting as the game itself, and for the love of the holy don't rush the thing, give it year and a half 2 years if not more, just knowing it is in the works would make gamers like myself happy enough

GO LEAFS GO:D

Stifler
04-15-2003, 09:42 PM
While this idea is great, the only developer that could make this happen is EA Canada, which is the company that makes mostly all of the EA Sports titles you see out on the market today.

Good idea, won't happen.

ARONO129
04-16-2003, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by Mr.MoJoRiSiN
VenoM..Eventhough they might be Canadian, they are still working for an American station, so they gotta broadcast how they want it broadcast...

ARONO129.. I agree that Don Cherry and Ron Mclean ARE hockey, however having them do the game wouldn't be a good idea. I don't think they have the speed and energy to talk that long, well Don maybe yeah, but I think he'd get off into a story and miss half the game, people listening to the playoffs online ( LEAFS ) wanna feel like they are there!!

Joe Bowen and Harry Neale should do it, listening to them right now, and I'm so into it right now, they make you feel like you are there.....boy oh boy.... and why leave out "In Canada"???
Are you ashamed to be Canadian??? I'm sure as hell not, keep it in there!!! If someone doesn't want a game because they hate another country that much, then to hell with them!

In the past I have defended Canada 100% in every USA-Canada thread I've seen and there have been many.

I just say leave out "in Canada" because the game will probably not sell well in the states that's all. Sort of like trying to sell a CFL football video game in the US.

Mr.MoJoRiSiN
04-16-2003, 10:42 AM
point taken Arono:)

some to think of it, seeing you mentioned it, they were supposed to make a CFL game as well but never happened for the same reasons that CBC didn't make one.:confused:

c_a_i_l_l_o_u
04-23-2003, 12:37 AM
EA sports hockey games use Jim Hughson from Vancouver to do their play by play, EA Sports is also located in Vancouver.

=====Canucks r going to win the Stanley Cup=====

Bravo_2
04-23-2003, 06:49 PM
If the game wasn't released in the US, I wouldn't mind...

Peepers
04-23-2003, 08:18 PM
I think you overestimate the power of the Canadian media to improve hockey video games.;)

Rochey69r
04-23-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by VenoM
funny thing is most commentators on espn and other sport channels commentating a hockey game are canadian :rolleyes: im sorry but theres no one better then John Davidson and Sam Rosen calling a game...the ny ranger commentators ownzzz :D

NYR OWNZZ!!

well maybe not this season but look out next year folks!!

GO RANGERS!! :D

GrizzlySuit
04-24-2003, 07:53 PM
i watch every leafs have on hockey night in canada.... why not make a game???

Blind-RazoR
04-24-2003, 08:46 PM
Oh yeah, I think Canadians speak funny and I would like to hear a game that is spoken in the native tounge where it came from.

(Darn Avs for losing to the Wild) :watchout:

kenji
04-26-2003, 12:44 AM
Why not? The only hokey game I played was nhl hitz and nhl hitz 2002 (which sucked).