PDA

View Full Version : Starwars Galaxies... woohoo!

frog11983
04-16-2003, 02:16 PM
Hey guys, I was scrolling through the galaxies site and I found this info, it made me get all excited and stuff so I thought I'd share it with you all. mmmm starwars rpg.....

Game Features:

-Entirely new 3D engine designed to portray the Star Wars galaxy in the greatest possible detail

-A seamless universe spanning nine fully-realized Star Wars worlds, from the films and expanded universe, each with over 15 x 15 kilometers of explorable terrain

-Define your own role in the galaxy with 8 playable species and over 30 professions; become bounty hunters, smugglers, squad leaders and more!

-Many social skills including dancing, musicianship and image designer

-Advanced character customization tool that allows you to define nearly every detail of your character's appearance

-Grow your character with an in-depth and flexible skill-based system of advancement

-Highly configurable User Interface

-Highly cinematic and tactical combat system that focuses on blasters and other ranged weapons

-Ally and fight with the Rebel or Imperial sides of the Galactic Civil War, or remain neutral

-Rewarding faction system that allows players to gain special perks by fighting in the Galactic Civil War

-Battlefields, where players can square off against one another or NPCs to earn faction standing

-Placeable Minefields and Turrets

-Encounter and interact with 180+ unique creatures and hundreds of NPCs, including "named" characters like Darth Vader and Boba Fett

-Robust chat system including hundreds of emotes, moods, chat styles, persistent messages and player created channels

-Dynamic resource surveying and mining

-Advanced crafting system

-Completely player-run in-game economy that includes an in-game Marketplace that allows auctions and sales of in-game items

-Jabba's Palace, the Emperor's Retreat, a Rebel hideout, and other "theme parks" offer a variety of missions for and encounters with well-known Star Wars characters

-Dynamic Points of Interest that provide a huge supply of adventures

-Random Mission system for shorter play sessions

-Bounty Hunting skills and missions, with both PVE and PVP opportunities

-Player-based dynamic spawning system takes into account a player's relative strength and creates suitable encounters

-Natural AI behaviors, including herding, stalking and lair defending

-Player built and placed housing, shops and structures

-Player groups of up to twenty players

-Player run associations of up to 500 players

-Badge system that rewards achievement in various areas

-An in-game Matchmaking Service, helpful for identifying players with similar hobbies

-The chance to unlock the mysterious Force Sensitive character slot and attempt to master the most exhilarating and dangerous role in the galaxy...the Jedi.

-Full team support with future expansions and updates

http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/

And it looks like to me they are in the Third Beta test... so the game "should" be out soon. I think the original release date was April 15th, but they wanted to do a third beta, so they said they will announce the new release date shortly. This is one of my most highly anticipated games... I can't wait!

LongBow
04-16-2003, 02:33 PM
Wow.. that makes me want it really bad! Almost to the point where I drop my cheapskate ways and pay the double fee.. If I ever get LIVE! Arg!

Maybe its just me. But I think everone is going to want to be a Jedi or Bounty Hunter

jake mcd
04-16-2003, 02:50 PM
you're probably right about the jedi and bounty hunter thing but i won't be one of them i'll take the path less traveled.

frog11983
04-16-2003, 03:05 PM
I'm not really sure what I'm going to be, maybe a smuggler or something of that sort. So that way all of those bounty hunters have something to try to hunt.... :D I don't really mind at this point as long as I get some sweet mandalorian armor in my profession.

Variation-XBA
04-16-2003, 06:15 PM
Im still deciding on PC or Xbox....but the Voice has me leaning alot to xbox atm :)

frog11983
04-16-2003, 07:01 PM
The PC version will probably have the advantage over Xbox with the expansions, but I personally don't like using a keyboard and I would rather play sitting on a couch in front of a TV too, so I'm going to get the Xbox version for sure.

*edit was just for a word i left out :)

Slayer02
04-16-2003, 08:02 PM
Im picking up xbox version because that way my mom won't yell at me for sitting on the comp so much. I WANT GALAXIES *CRY*

preetz16
04-20-2003, 02:56 PM
Well in response to some of your concerns, I bet lucas arts makes it really hard to be a jedi and bouty hunter (not too hard, but just enough to deter massive amounts of people from doing it). This wouldl definetely be the thing to do so you dont have 44% bounty hunters 44% jedis and then 1% or > as mules. I'm going to go look at the professions though....

frog11983
04-21-2003, 01:55 AM
I wonder if we'll get the chance to actually kill main characters like darth vader, or maybe even Boba Fett. It will be interesting to see how they handle that.

CarGuy
04-21-2003, 04:20 PM
I cant wait for this game. Im not a big star wars fan but the game still seems very, very appealing.

Blind-RazoR
04-21-2003, 07:21 PM
I know I will probably get this game even though they are going to be charging a monthly fee on top on the live charge in order to play :cuss: that is one reason I got live was because I knew that I would not have to pay any monthly fee towards one game. I figured one charge for every game is how it was going to work. Or at least that is what they advertised. :watchout:

Blind-RazoR
04-21-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by frog11983
I wonder if we'll get the chance to actually kill main characters like darth vader, or maybe even Boba Fett. It will be interesting to see how they handle that.

Unfortunatly no, and another thing is that you will not be able to become any major leader like in the position of Darth Vader or Yoda.

Well in response to some of your concerns, I bet lucas arts makes it really hard to be a jedi and bouty hunter (not too hard, but just enough to deter massive amounts of people from doing it). This wouldl definetely be the thing to do so you dont have 44% bounty hunters 44% jedis and then 1% or > as mules. I'm going to go look at the professions though....

Yep, From what I have read and heard, You will have to put in about 6 hours a day to become a Jedi and you have to be on everyday, and the tasks you will have to do to be declared a Jedi are so time consuming and dificult, most people would say :cuss: But knowing the star wars genre, Everyone will make an attempt to become a Jedi.

preetz16
04-23-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by frog11983

The really cool part is from what i understand actual people will be playing vader and yoda (obviously they will be the people that are employed by lucas arts) but still thats cool.

I'm glad to hear jedis will be rare...the uber time dedication makes perfect sense in terms of the starwars universe. I hope for the bouty hunter they don't make it insanely time-intensive, but hard.

Oh yeah, and don't under-estimate star wars fans...rest assured, no matter HOW hard it is there WILL be jedis and bouty hunters, not a lto though

Blind-RazoR
04-23-2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by preetz16

The really cool part is from what i understand actual people will be playing vader and yoda (obviously they will be the people that are employed by lucas arts) but still thats cool.

I'm glad to hear jedis will be rare...the uber time dedication makes perfect sense in terms of the starwars universe. I hope for the bouty hunter they don't make it insanely time-intensive, but hard.

Oh yeah, and don't under-estimate star wars fans...rest assured, no matter HOW hard it is there WILL be jedis and bouty hunters, not a lto though

Where did you here that people will be playing yoda and Vader? I just assumed that those characters would be NPC's. Just like Luke Skywalker and Han Solo. I do know the game will have all the characters in it from after Star Wars Episode 4. That means Obi Wan will not be in it.

Blind-RazoR
04-23-2003, 07:50 PM
Here is an article I found with some info about the game.

Any avid gamer knows that Lucas Arts has pumped out countless games based on the very successful Star Wars franchise. Now, nearly thirty years after Star Wars' conception, Star Wars is jumping into a realm of endless possibilities - online gaming.

Sony went straight to a formula that equals success - bringing in the former lead designer for arguably the most innovative game of its time, Ultima Online's Raph Koster, along with Verant, the development team that helped bring EverQuest to the top of the Massively Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Gaming (MMORPG) pedastal. Throw in a dedicated Star Wars fanbase that has lasted for nearly thirty years and you have quite possibly a recipe for what could be one of the best online games ever created.

Star Wars Galaxies promises to bring the depth of the Star Wars universe and combine it with an EverQuest type of feel. The game takes place between the destruction of the first Death Star and the Battle of Yavin. The backdrop of this setting is a perfect stage for a massive MMORPG to take place - you'll even find characters from your favorite Star Wars movies in the game (except for Obi Wan, poor Obi Wan).

Playing in Star Wars Galaxies, you will have eight different races to choose from including Humans, Rodians, Mon Calimari, and even those fuzzy Wookies! Within those races there will be different features you can choose from, whether it be skin color, texture, gender, and of course, all the facial features and hair selections you can imagine. That is, if your race even has hair.

The popular question when it comes to the idea of playing a MMORPG Star Wars game is whether or not you can become a Jedi. The answer to this question in Star Wars Galaxies is yes, you can become a Jedi. But the path to becoming a Jedi is not an easy path, and will require dedication by the player. And yes, it is possible to become a "Dark Jedi" by straying from the path and using your Jedi powers to kill other players. But, to the dismay of many, players cannot become Darth or Sith Lords, nor can you play as any of the characters from the actual Star Wars movies.

For those of you who enjoy listening to the Star Wars soundtracks will be happy to know that most of the music is similar and in some cases the same as the classic Star Wars tunes.

Star Wars Galaxies will include Player v.s Player (PVP) combat. The exact nature of how combat will work is yet to be seen, but the system is similar to a 'PVP switch' style. Players can engage in PVP combat either by declaring with a certain faction in the game, being a bounty hunter, or simply picking off characters in certain areas. And if none of those suit your fancy, you can always become a galactic trader, explorer, or a simple adventurer, exploring the dangerous places of the Star Wars Universe!

The game is currently scheduled for a late 2002 release for the PC, and will eventually have a release for both the PlayStation 2 and the X-Box, taking advantage of their online-play features. There's also an expansion already planned which will include more planets for you to explore and more perils that await you.

by Chris Boothroy

And This is an article That may **** some people off. :cuss:

In a move certain to anger some hopeful fans, the staff of Star Wars Galaxies have announced that a number of features will be delayed until after launch in an attempt to meet their projected date of release. Included in the features to be delayed will be the ability for groups of players to found and operate cities, the existence of player controlled ground vehicles, the capacity for player sponsored missions, and the choice of Dark Jedi as a profession. Many of these decisions will cause stark changes to initial gameplay; however, the designers have mentioned that other aspects of the game, such as NPC cities and bounty missions, will be increased in number to compensate for the loss.

In its comments to the SWG community, the staff emphasised that cuts were made with the intention of maintaining overall game quality at launch. "Rather than attempt to do everything at once and have it all turn out mediocre", stated Hayden Blackman, "we wanted to focus on fewer features and do them all really well." Blackman went on to mention that those features which were delayed were selected mainly upon the coding load they represented and their ease of insertion after launch, which is now expected to be sometime this April

Ugunnalose
04-23-2003, 11:57 PM
when does it come out? I heard june

Blind-RazoR
04-24-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by duschbag
when does it come out? I heard june

Yup, it is supposed to come out June 1st 2003

edit: I lied :cry: Kotor comes out June 7th. I don't know about SWG. Sorry about that.

frog11983
04-24-2003, 06:18 PM
Yeah, actually I think it may be in june. They are doing the third and "final" beta test right now. So we can hope to see this in the summer. However... I wouldn't mind if they waited a little longer on the console versions, and went on ahead and stuck the expansions in with it. i.e. the space expansion, and vehical ability.

besides, we'll have kotor to play this summer! :cheers:

Blind-RazoR
04-24-2003, 06:44 PM
Yeah, Acctually I am more excited about Kotor then Galaxies, because I really do not want to have to pay a monthly fee on top of XBL.

frog11983
04-24-2003, 06:46 PM
That part is gonna suck a little, but i'm hoping that it will be worth it. How much is it by the way... while on the swg forums, I saw someone say 15 a month... but that sounds a little high?

Blind-RazoR
04-24-2003, 06:50 PM
I think it is going to be around 9 dollars a month, but I do know that microsoft is thinking about droping the XBL yearly fee to be about 50 dollars because they know they will lose alot of "XBLers" if they don't cheapen the price. But I think I would pay 9 dollars a month for Galaxies, I just am really not looking foward to all the money vanishing out of my pockets. :yikes:

Blinkum_41
04-24-2003, 08:56 PM
Thats Freekin Awesome... i cant wait!!!

sinfulgothic
04-26-2003, 01:27 PM
They are making a rough port of Galaxies for PS2 and Xbox called "knights of the old republic" - this is Galaxies without the access (as far as I know) of online play, which sort of defeats the purpose. So, Galaxies will be released for PS2 and Xbox, but not *as* Galaxies itself, or even with online play.

Originally they were planning on making it online access for ps2 and xbox, but with all the problems they have encountered with the pc version, a home console online version seems to be very far off...

Variation-XBA
04-26-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by sinfulgothic
They are making a rough port of Galaxies for PS2 and Xbox called "knights of the old republic" - this is Galaxies without the access (as far as I know) of online play, which sort of defeats the purpose. So, Galaxies will be released for PS2 and Xbox, but not *as* Galaxies itself, or even with online play.

Originally they were planning on making it online access for ps2 and xbox, but with all the problems they have encountered with the pc version, a home console online version seems to be very far off...

Galaxies and KOTR are totally different games.

And PC was pushed back abit, nothing major yet though

frog11983
04-27-2003, 01:41 PM
hmm... riiiiiight. yeah, kotor and galaxies are TOTALLY different games. kotor is placed thousands of years before the time of galaxies. where galaxies is in the time era of luke and the trilogy movies. and btw, galaxies is coming on xbox live and psonline with, as far as i know, everything the computer version can do.

notice the two different product pages on lucasarts.com

http://www.lucasarts.com/products/swkotor/

and then

http://www.lucasarts.com/products/galaxies/

^and.... ok... so as i was just about to prove that galaxies is going to be on xbox and ps2... it looks like they have removed the xbox and ps2 symbols from the side of the page. hmm... ?????

Blinkum_41
04-27-2003, 03:48 PM
your an idiot sinful... thoes are 2 different games... old republic comes out soon... and galexies is comming out for xbox...

frog11983
04-27-2003, 10:25 PM
eeeeaaasy easy. people... make... mistakes.. sometimes big ones, but we make them. next time "sinful", just read up on info before you make such a post. getting flamed is no fun.

Blinkum_41
04-29-2003, 04:04 PM
sorry...

NINE BREAKER
05-01-2003, 12:20 AM
Yeah KOTOR should be awesome. Galaxies as well. But are they, or Fable, gonna be like PSO where you HAVE to have XBL to even play offline? I'm having trouble with Internet Provider right now and it doesn't look like I'm getting it back anytime soon:cuss: That being the only reason I haven't picked up PSO.

frog11983
05-01-2003, 03:19 PM
I know you are going to need XBL for galaxies... but you won't need it for kotor, and i have no idea on fable, who knows?

jaboo
05-04-2003, 08:10 PM
sounds nice.......whens the release date?

pepitonet
05-04-2003, 09:23 PM
the date out for KOTOR is July 1st of 2003 as for Galaxies there is no release date yet. about XBL droping the price i would rather pay 100 for XBL and no monthly fee for anygame whatsoever than paying ?? for XBL plus 9.99 for PSO + 9.99 for Galaxies plus ??? for True fantasy live online ..in conclussion monthly fee sux big time

Hugh_Jass
05-05-2003, 12:48 PM
I received and invitation this weekend to be a beta tester for Galaxies! (PC Version)

Yeah, baby!

frog11983
05-05-2003, 01:45 PM
ahhh you suck :cuss:

Slayer02
05-05-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Blind-RazoR
I know I will probably get this game even though they are going to be charging a monthly fee on top on the live charge in order to play :cuss: that is one reason I got live was because I knew that I would not have to pay any monthly fee towards one game. I figured one charge for every game is how it was going to work. Or at least that is what they advertised. :watchout:
But it's a MMORPG like EQ, there SHOULD be fees.

Teleteeps
05-06-2003, 12:04 AM
Never have I seen a good Star Wars game, honestly

Treve
05-06-2003, 08:52 AM
is it true galaxies has to be played online? because i don't have broaband yet, and i may not by when it comes out. i don't want to settle just KOTOR, i want galaxies, ******!

frog11983
05-07-2003, 02:16 PM
just read the rest of this thread ^^^ you should be able to figure it out.

i don't know though guys... i'm getting kinda worried. there still is nothing on the net that says its coming out for the xbox or the ps2 anymore. all signs thats said it was are gone, all it says now is pc. i'd be extremely upset if it doesn't go to the X. :(

Variation-XBA
05-07-2003, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Treve
is it true galaxies has to be played online? because i don't have broaband yet, and i may not by when it comes out. i don't want to settle just KOTOR, i want galaxies, ******!

Galaxies is ONLY online, but with the PC version you'll be fine with dialup, like every other mmorpg. If the xbox one does come out and you want that version... well your SOL :)

Hugh_Jass
05-08-2003, 12:51 PM
Galaxies arrived at my door yesterday. I was looking forward to playing it all day but the server kept going down. I didn't even have a chance to create my character yet.

:cry:

I'm under an NDA, but I think it's safe to say...if the in-game graphics are anything like the character creation graphics we're in for a real treat!

frog11983
05-08-2003, 01:23 PM
I'm jealous :mad: , but now you'll have to give us the insight on the game... maybe post some screens?

CarGuy
05-09-2003, 01:08 PM
Ah! Hugh you lucky *******... Throw us a bone and post some pics will ya'!? :D If it comes to Xbox that's be great but i really dont care. Fable and KOTOR will keep me busy offline im sure.

Blinkum_41
05-11-2003, 03:20 PM
Man you lucky *******....:mad: o and fable look pretty awesome

Hugh_Jass
05-12-2003, 11:51 AM
I don't know how much I can say, but I can see that Galaxies has a LOT of potential (assuming they can fix the beta bugs).

Do yourself a favor and buy a true DX9 card for this game. I don't have one and it shows.

Sorry, but posting screen prints is probably against the Non-Disclosure Agreement.

I was on Naboo last night. :)

frog11983
05-14-2003, 03:49 PM
agreement shpleement..... :D

ugh, i wish i knew someone that has the beta so i could play and see!

frog11983
05-20-2003, 03:06 PM
They just released a new game trailer for galaxies at the lucas arts site. http://www.lucasarts.com/products/galaxies/gallery.htm

check it out

frog11983
05-23-2003, 03:20 AM
LucasArts confirms that the previously announced console versions of the Star Wars online RPG are currently on hold, as all development efforts are focused on the PC launch.

At E3 2002, LucasArts announced that it planned to release Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided, its highly anticipated online RPG set in the Star Wars universe, for the Xbox and PlayStation 2. However, mention of these versions was recently removed from the publisher's Web page on the game, and LucasArts has confirmed for us that these versions are currently on hold. In a brief statement, LucasArts said, "We are currently focusing all of our efforts on the successful launch of the PC version of Star Wars Galaxies."

The PC version of Star Wars Galaxies is currently in beta testing. LucasArts has not yet announced an official release date. For more details, check out our previous coverage of the game.

By Sam Parker, GameSpot [POSTED: 05/22/03 04:05 PM]

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/rpg/starwarsgalaxies/news_6028822.html

shucks, hope its not too long of a wait... :rolleyes:

RudedogX
05-23-2003, 08:40 AM
Look at it this way, they'll get all the kinks worked out in the PC and then they'll bring a polished version to the consoles! I think I can deal with that wait.

Kraft
05-23-2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by rudedogX
Look at it this way, they'll get all the kinks worked out in the PC and then they'll bring a polished version to the consoles! I think I can deal with that wait.

Yeah, because that worked great with Morrowind! Just playing, I am hoping for a great game and no DDerrors from it unlike some Bethesda titles I own....:cuss:

RudedogX
05-23-2003, 12:32 PM
You just had to remind me of that didn't you?!?:cuss: BAH! If the kinks aren't worked out, I'll be very upset though!

frog11983
06-11-2003, 08:55 PM
^^bump^^

Hugh_Jass
06-12-2003, 12:05 PM
Sony sent me an email saying that we can expect a release of "Galaxies" on the PC in late summer (2003). I don't see how that's possible. So much is incomplete.

As much as I've enjoyed running around and exploring, I don't think I've done anything truly FUN in the beta. I will say that the game has stabilized significantly with all the bug fixes. I have seen creatures embedded within structure walls recently.

frog11983
06-12-2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Hugh_Jass
Sony sent me an email saying that we can expect a release of "Galaxies" on the PC in late summer (2003). I don't see how that's possible. So much is incomplete.

As much as I've enjoyed running around and exploring, I don't think I've done anything truly FUN in the beta. I will say that the game has stabilized significantly with all the bug fixes. I have seen creatures embedded within structure walls recently.

hmm... thats too bad. I've really haven't heard a lot of complaints about the beta. Is it really that bad?