PDA

View Full Version : Cell Shading

c_a_i_l_l_o_u
04-16-2003, 10:30 PM
Does anyone actually like cell shading? I for one hate it, but the new Zelda game has cell shading. It'd be better if it was more realistic.

VenoM
04-17-2003, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by c_a_i_l_l_o_u
Does anyone actually like cell shading? I for one hate it, but the new Zelda game has cell shading. It'd be better if it was more realistic.

i love cell shading and i also love zelda :p

maneatingcow
04-17-2003, 01:52 AM
Cel Shading is a cheaper/quicker means for graphics in games. Cel Shading allows you to use very few textures to present your game, is less of a burden on the gpu, and can help add a bit of style that will help you get the feeling of the game across.

Buuuut..... many games are using this effect..... for some it works (Jet Set Radio Future, Fear Effect), but it's being overused quite like the effects from The Matrix were overused in cinema.

Cyclone
04-17-2003, 02:29 AM
I don't like cell shading either. I like my games to look pretty realistic too and to me, cell shading is a step in the wrong direction. Like somebody else said though, it works for some games but too many games are starting to use it like that one racing game that just came out for PS2. It could be the best game in the world but something about cell shading in a racing game turns me off and I would never ever play that. Just my 0.02

Flood
04-17-2003, 07:54 AM
i agree with MEC...it looks good for some games, but other's it doesnt....the only game i can think of off hand that i don't like the way it looks due to it being cell shaded is XIII...but it's supposed to be like a comic book, so it might work...i'll have to wait and see

Variation-XBA
04-17-2003, 11:24 AM
I'm also in agreement with MEC..

It depends on the game. Zelda looks good with it, so does JSRF, and Fear Effect also like he said.

I thought Auto Modellista looked pretty neat with it, and almost prefer it thatn some of the other car game 'styles'.

XIII looks interesting, not just cause the Cel'ness, but the overall aspect, with the "boom" and "pow"s etc etc.

As to deciding if Cel Vs Realism looks better..its different game to game, I mean, I dont think I would have like Splinter Cell nearly as much if it was Cel... Or JSRF if it was realistic...

:confused: :confused:

Nameless
04-17-2003, 12:21 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again; some games look good with cel shading.

LynxFX
04-17-2003, 02:09 PM
The only games I want to see with cell shading are Futurama, The Simpsons, and South Park and Bugs Bunny. Everything else, give me realistic textures and 3d rendering.

Viper87227
04-17-2003, 04:55 PM
I like cell shading alot. It was great in JSRF and Automodellista. I also really liked XIII also looks like it will be great.

On the contrary, I hatte zelda :rolleyes:

yall
04-17-2003, 05:35 PM
I wasnt wild about cell shading until I played Zelda. I think the game not only looks great, but the game atmosphere actually benefits from the cell shading.

LTM360
04-17-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by c_a_i_l_l_o_u
...Zelda game has cell shading. It'd be better if it was more realistic.

It wouldn't actually be a better game, but it would look way cooler. But I can deal with it, but what I cannot deal with, is the fact that this Zelda, is not a true Zelda game. Let's see, ZELDA HERSELF isn't in the game, LINK (truely) isn't in the game, Hyrule isn't in the game, none of the old people are at all, except Ganon and Ganondorf. I think this was just a new game made by Nintendo, but they didn't think it would sell, so they threw the Zelda Liscence on it. I don't hate this game, but I do not think it should even have the word 'Zelda' in its title. The only think that relates to the older games, is the music, and the Ganon's.

(I havn't finished the game, so if Zelda, Hyrule, and/or Link is in it, thats why I made that mistake.)

fadywwf316
04-17-2003, 08:17 PM
i think it cant hurt having it right?!

jake mcd
04-17-2003, 08:23 PM
I like cel shading myself but some stuff i have seen just doesn't seem to look right cel shaded, only certain characters and environments look good done with cel shading.

EHWfedPres
04-17-2003, 08:30 PM
I dont like cel shading and I dont like zelda either. something about linear action adventure games and cartoons dont appeal to me when im playing games...i prefer realism. I dunno why, its just what appeals to me more.

Kortiz
04-18-2003, 04:05 PM
isn't the upcoming game by ubisoft going to be cell shaded? Xlll i think it is called?

Nameless
04-18-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by ChickenSHHHH
isn't the upcoming game by ubisoft going to be cell shaded? Xlll i think it is called?
It is indeed called XIII. It looks pretty nice, its cel shaded to look like a comic book. Pretty cool.

JimmieDoogan
04-18-2003, 04:49 PM
I think cell shading is a great way to offer variaty in game styles... it almost brings back 2D gaming in a way. However, I do believe WAY TOO MANY companies use it as a COP OUT because they're system can't handle it (case in point, CELDA, where I think the game looks and plays great, it would have been worlds better with the graphics in the demo showed at E3 so many years ago). However, games like XIII look great and seem to use it with good reason. Very stylistic. Also, Viewtiful Joe and KILLER 7 are great examples of Cell Shading used properly. Word is the next Mario game will also use this popular technique. As long as it's properly implemented, I don't mind. Just intend to use it from the start, to cop out on us and use it because your system can't handle the poly's of good definition. That was Nintendo's foley.

Nameless
04-18-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by JimmieDoogan
I think cell shading is a great way to offer variaty in game styles... it almost brings back 2D gaming in a way. However, I do believe WAY TOO MANY companies use it as a COP OUT because they're system can't handle it (case in point, CELDA, where I think the game looks and plays great, it would have been worlds better with the graphics in the demo showed at E3 so many years ago). However, games like XIII look great and seem to use it with good reason. Very stylistic. Also, Viewtiful Joe and KILLER 7 are great examples of Cell Shading used properly. Word is the next Mario game will also use this popular technique. As long as it's properly implemented, I don't mind. Just intend to use it from the start, to cop out on us and use it because your system can't handle the poly's of good definition. That was Nintendo's foley.

Are you serious? For the type of game that WW is, 3d graphics wouldn't work. I'm with you, or I was, when I saw that Zelda was turned into cel shading I was disappointed. Hell I still was a little bit until I finally played it. 3d just wouldn't work for WW imo.

How is the reasonong to XIII using cel shading any better than the reasonong to use cel shading in Zelda? By your first 2 sentences than, you're being ripped off because of the power the Xbox has which is being used to make a cel shaded game.

Reclaimer
04-18-2003, 07:09 PM
I thought Robotech pulled off the cell shading quite well, because it kept it in light with the cartoon series. I am not a big fan of cell shading though, but in cases like Robotech, where it was explainable, that would be OK. I am interested to see how XIII would turn out. Wasnt this game supposed to be a FPS? I could have sworn there was a cel shding FPS with multiplayer coming out. We'll see how it goes.