PDA

View Full Version : who here plays fighters for the story?

TheCovenant
04-22-2003, 02:12 AM
I just ran by a thread that involved a whole background story for street fighter.......and people were talking about hating new characters because they mess up the story.

But lets be honest, when your linking that shinryuken to that shoryureppa, do you really care that you're doing it to avenge some dude because he did something to some dude, during some time?

SPARTAN VI
04-22-2003, 02:42 AM
There's a story? :watchout:

In DOA I don't care who hates who, if their combos can link, Ill use em...
:D :cheers:

GokuX
04-22-2003, 02:54 AM
The story at least provides some substance so that the character has some quality that sets him or her apart from another. Looks do alot but if you shove a whole bunch crazy looking fighters into a game without any story whatsoever then I doubt the game is going to be as appealing as it would be if there were a story behind each character describing why the character looks, acts, and fights the way he or she does. My question regarding SF4: Is Capcom jumping on the prequel bandwagon, just because it's the easiest route to take?

SPARTAN VI
04-22-2003, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by GokuX
The story at least provides some substance so that the character has some quality that sets him or her apart from another. Looks do alot but if you shove a whole bunch crazy looking fighters into a game without any story whatsoever then I doubt the game is going to be as appealing as it would be if there were a story behind each character describing why the character looks, acts, and fights the way he or she does.

Yep, but in the end, you're only tying to win. If you can win AND satisfy the story, all the better!:cheers:

GokuX
04-22-2003, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by SPARTAN VI

Yep, but in the end, you're only tying to win. If you can win AND satisfy the story, all the better!:cheers:

I would even argue that you don't actually need an end to agree with your reduction of the role of the story. I only argue for some back story to at least provide the character with some depth. Using Soul Caliber as an example, it's obvious that Namco put some thought into the back stories of characters. The SC series is labeled as the deepest fighting game by some. I believe that Namco knows the role of the story in contributing to the depth of a game, otherwise they could have saved alot of money on printing the stories in the game manual. Also alot of people would be friggin confused when they see Voldo wearing a pair of telescopes on his head. In fact, I would go further to say that the absence of a story would lead to frustration and the desire for a story on the part of the gamer. Why does he wear a belt over his eyes?, why is his stage in a cave, etc. The conclusion is compelling but I'll again say that I don't think its necessary if we are speaking in terms of reduction to bare minumum.

Variation-XBA
04-22-2003, 12:57 PM
Only time I really care about a story in a 'fighter' would be one of the wrestling games... :)

Other than that... like VI said, if they can combo, thats who I am :)

TheCovenant
04-24-2003, 02:17 PM
lol. Goku, you bring up a very good point. If your sitting at home playing soul calibur, you want to know why you're allowed to see voldos ass, but not Xianghua's (SHUT UP! I THINK SHE'S HOT!).

I must agree with you that the stroy brings some single player value to a fighting game, but in the end, fighters are almost strictly multiplayer. Some people have played soul calibur their whole lives without knowing the story. (me NOT being one of them).

So it's settled, i guess there is value to the story when its single player, but in multiplayer, you're just trying to make your combo look flashier than his, even though it has less damage (story of my life)