PDA

View Full Version : What version of Half Life2 are you getting??

Knight
04-29-2003, 09:00 AM
I'm going with the pc version.

LynxFX
04-29-2003, 11:21 AM
I'll be getting the PC version as well. I'll probably do that for all of the major FPS titles, Halo 2 being the exception of course. :)

strangefate
04-29-2003, 11:24 AM
Sorry MS, but of course I'll be going with the PC version, for updatability and mod-sake. Perhaps if the XB and PC versions were virtually backwards compatable, and you could access mods on your XB Live for it, but thats a bit far-fetched, but I wish.

VAN
04-29-2003, 11:39 AM
For the life of me I will never understand why someone would opt to play the same game on a PC over a console.

You go right ahead and sit hunched over your desk in your ergonomic task chair while gazing into a 17" screen (19" if your really lucky, 21" if you are really stupid with your money), and I'll go ahead and sink into my comfy couch and be enveloped with the sights and sounds coming from a 57" HDTV and 5.1 surround system.

The right tool for the right job, I say.

Use your PC for balancing your checkbook, surfing the web, and formatting spreadsheets.

Use a gaming console for... uhh... gaming. :)

LynxFX
04-29-2003, 11:49 AM
Couldn't disagree more with you Van.

I don't buy the "hunched over a desk" arguement since I have one of the most comfortable office chairs money can buy. Maximized with a high resolution IBM 21" P260 perfect flat monitor and DD 5.1 sound. (real speakers, not that computer all in one crap). Top it off with a mouse and keyboard and you are in FPS bliss. Monitor vs TV size can't be directly compared. You don't sit 2 feet away from your tv and a tv just doesn't have the resolution. This is coming from a guy that plays on a 42" HDTV and 110" HDTV Front Projector (which can also be hooked up to play my PC games).

I still prefer 1280x1024 with 4x AA over 640x480 with usually no AA. A few exceptions like Enter the Matrix which I'm definately buying the Xbox version over the PC.

But since we are talking Half Life there is no other choice. The mods alone are what will sell this game on the PC.

So I'll use my gaming pc for gaming.

VAN
04-29-2003, 11:54 AM
To each his own, I guess.

Seems utterly absurd to me to have to TYPE in order to shoot your friggin' gun. How lame is that?

Desktop gamers. Ha! :)

At least when yer done playing you can jump right into MS Word and write an angry letter to the guy who just cracked the game and ruined everyones good time. :D

Knight
04-29-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by VAN
For the life of me I will never understand why someone would opt to play the same game on a PC over a console.

For the mutliplayer & all the mods thats why.

But for most single player only games I go with the Console version. And yes I have a 19".

Shadow20002
04-29-2003, 03:36 PM
Getting Xbox version, just because by the time Half-Life 2 is out, my PC is crappy...oh wait, it's already crappy. :eek:

Covenant Comm.
04-29-2003, 06:31 PM
depends on how the multiplayer is on the xbox. also if its linkable which it probly will be. but the pc version thiers more replayability to with all the mods but i have 56k so really no online multiplayer. so really its a toss up. but its all good in book.

Diddy
04-29-2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by VAN

You go right ahead and sit hunched over your desk in your ergonomic task chair while gazing into a 17" screen (19" if your really lucky, 21" if you are really stupid with your money), and I'll go ahead and sink into my comfy couch and be enveloped with the sights and sounds coming from a 57" HDTV and 5.1 surround system.

The right tool for the right job, I say.

Use your PC for balancing your checkbook, surfing the web, and formatting spreadsheets.

Use a gaming console for... uhh... gaming. :)

but the controls alone would most likely be better for a FPS on PC. I know im a helluva lot better at Chapionship if i had a mizouse and k-board on my box. Same with Ghost Recon.