PDA

View Full Version : gunmetal

Galen
04-29-2003, 07:19 PM
I just got GunMetal on ebay. I only purchased it because I got a good deal…I had no idea what type of game it really was. When I popped it in…I was really pleasantly surprised! I mean. Its not the greatest thing since HALO or anything… but I mean…for all intents and purposes….it’s the closest thing to “Transformers” the video game we will probably ever have. So. I like it.
My question is….has anyone played this game through? Do you get to be any other robots later? …any that can transform into anything else? I am just wondering. I have fun playing it….but I probably wont continue to play it all the way to the end if its just going to be the same Mech for the whole game. Thanks.

Reclaimer
04-30-2003, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Galen
I just got GunMetal on ebay. I only purchased it because I got a good deal…I had no idea what type of game it really was. When I popped it in…I was really pleasantly surprised! I mean. Its not the greatest thing since HALO or anything… but I mean…for all intents and purposes….it’s the closest thing to “Transformers” the video game we will probably ever have. So. I like it.
My question is….has anyone played this game through? Do you get to be any other robots later? …any that can transform into anything else? I am just wondering. I have fun playing it….but I probably wont continue to play it all the way to the end if its just going to be the same Mech for the whole game. Thanks.

I had that game too. To answer your question, you pilot the same mech the entire way through the game. You are also limited to the same to configurations throughout the game too. The only thing that differs is the weapon load outs before each mission. Eventually towards the end, you'll have enough weapons to choose from, and you'll have your favorites. I traded that game in a long time ago, so unfortunately, I forgot what my favorites where. I traded it in, because, after finishing it, and playing it through 2 more times, I just got bored. It's a good game for the most part, and the missions keep you busy. The last one is tough, you'll be so stretched between defending your army and duking it out with the huge enemies. Probably the coolest thing was the custom soundtrack feature. At that time, it was the first action game/non sports game to support it.

EHWfedPres
04-30-2003, 08:05 PM
I played the demo and did not like it much...but oh well. It was a cool game, just did not appeal to me.

Reclaimer
05-01-2003, 12:04 AM
If you like Gunmetal, then you'll like Battle Engine Aquila. It's based on the same idea, piloting a transforming mech. But it's all done in first person. It's pretty cool. Running/driving across the fields and then just transforming into a jet-thing and continuing the battle in the sky. The graphics are good, bright and vibrant. And the world you're in is huge. I mean just flying around the battlefield on a mission, you get this sensation of being in a large map area. The sea battles are cool, because you can't fly forever and you have to land occasionally to recharge your flight engine. But, you're not a boat, so a water landing is out of the question. You have to fight, and look around for larger ships and vehicles to land on. Which can be pretty intense dog fighting in the sky, running out of energy and then you plummet like a brick, and you're firing the retro-boosters, trying to find anything big enough to support you. I ended up landing on an enemy aircraft carrier. That was funny. It's turrets are firing across it's own deck trying to hit me, and I'm juking left and right, shooting it's bridge, waiting for the batteries to charge so I can get the hell off there.
I did like Gunmetal, and I guess it's only natural that I like BEA. It's just about the same thing, just from a different perspective. It's also a much better game.

Galen
05-01-2003, 07:13 PM
awesome. thanks for the reply. I think I will pick BEA up on my next trip to the game store.