PDA

View Full Version : Halo 2: Best graphics ever!

chunk83
04-30-2003, 03:42 PM
I just got my new issue of OXM in the mail, and they have some new screenshots of halo 2. I must say that it puts doom 3 to shame. They are actually utilizing xbox features such as Bump mapping and the like. I only wish that it would come out this year.

Arrakis44
04-30-2003, 03:55 PM
i know what u mean, i read the issue ur taling about and the graphics are definately far superior to that of D3.

Also if u compare the preview videos of the two games its fairly easy to see the difference;

Halo 2 = revolutionary graphics
Doom 3= good graphics!

Xbox Owner
04-30-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Arrakis44

Halo 2 = revolutionary graphics
Doom 3= good graphics!

I'm not to sure on that..I don't know which one has better graphisc..but I don't think Halo 2's graphics are better than Doom3's..

Diddy
04-30-2003, 06:15 PM
are u frikin kidding me??? have u even played the D3 alpha leak??

play that and then talk about graphics friend

SPARTAN VI
04-30-2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Diddy
are u frikin kidding me??? have u even played the D3 alpha leak??

play that and then talk about graphics friend

Alpha... does that mean they're anywhere close to being done with the game? Doom 3 has way more graphical potential than Halo2. Think about it:

Halo2 will be running on:

CPU: 733 MHz

Total Memory: The RAM in the Xbox will be supplied by Micron, it will be 64 MB running at 200MHz DDR (Double-Data-Rate) [an advanced GeForce 3 with loads of other hardware buffin it up]

and DOOM 3 will be running on [if you have a super nice computer]:

CPU: Intel P4 3.06GHz

Graphics: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro -OR- an overclocked GeForce FX

It'll look really sharp and I'm pretty damn sure Id had that in mind. Seeing as how all we've seen so far are videos, we'll just have to wait.

Don't get me wrong, I'm hoping for the best for Halo2. It has plenty of room for improvement. :cheers:

The Nick
04-30-2003, 06:37 PM
I bet DOOM III graphics will be better than Halo 2 graphics. It'll be made for a PC with much higher specs than xbox.

and BTW the graphics for DOOM III alpha were amazing. How could you say they weren't. The pipes moved right in front of me. Sure it was like 2 fps... but they were moving!

MerimacHamwich
04-30-2003, 06:41 PM
"You have to be kidding me!"
As Spartan VI said, the Doom 3 Alpha is just that, and Alpha playable version of a game. They still had Pre-Beta, Beta, Pre-Gold and Gold stages to go through. The Alpha version is the earliest playable version there is. Id had just started using the advanced techniques. They only had simple textures and models at that time. The potential for Doom 3's graphics is mind boggling. Whether it is running on the Xbox or a high-end computer. Nonetheless, yes, Halo 2 does look great but it is way, WAY too early to say which one looks better. Both are still far from the Gold stage (final production stage). I am putting my money on Doom 3 looking better than Halo 2 though.

Yes, I have played the Doom 3 Alpha.

SPARTAN VI
04-30-2003, 06:41 PM
Compare these two, they both look awesome and really cant compete with each other. But they still have a long time before release, plenty of room for improvement.

Halo2
http://images.hype.se/albums/halo2truthandreconciliation/aaa.jpg (Halo2 trailer screen)

http://www.xbox-alive.de/entwurf/spieletests/onlinetitel/halo2/soldier2.jpg
We've all seen the Halo2 trailer screens.

DOOM 3
http://users.pandora.be/lsdsmurf/darkvision/doom3/1.jpg

http://www.3davenue.com/media/doom3/2l.jpg

http://www.ugo.com/channels/games/features/doom3/images/doom3_7.jpg

This one is huge and will just expand the thread, so take the link. It's an ingame screen, possibly the "alpha". (http://hot.ee/ptikqngwsg/shot0078.jpg)

This one is pretty huge, too. (http://juegos.descargando.com/fotosgde/doom3n1.jpg)

Look at the detail! :eek:
http://www.netbo.de/images/doom3.gif

shrew king
04-30-2003, 07:03 PM
Halo 2 looks good, but DOOM III without a doubt looks better.

Toonz
04-30-2003, 07:12 PM
On that note HALO 2 will be way better level design wise and overall playabilty. I have strange feeling D3 will be alotta narrow hallways and small rooms much like the Alpha. It will be great a piece of interactive eye candy no doubt, hell I'm giddy as a school girl to play it but graphics aside I think HALO 2 will kick its behind.

EHWfedPres
04-30-2003, 07:12 PM
Halo 2 does not have the best graphics, thats for sure...but what is not for sure is what game has the best graphics...

SPARTAN VI
04-30-2003, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Toonz
On that note HALO 2 will be way better level design wise and overall playabilty. I have strange feeling D3 will be alotta narrow hallways and small rooms much like the Alpha. It will be great a piece of interactive eye candy no doubt, hell I'm giddy as a school girl to play it but graphics aside I think HALO 2 will kick its behind.

No doubt about that, pretty sure Halo2 will have THE gameplay, but we're only talkin about graphics. I'll revive the 1st thread I ever made...

kenji
04-30-2003, 07:21 PM
I saw Master Chief Holding two guns and read that left trigger is second weapon and right is first weapon. Looks unbelivable, but i wonder how you are going to thrown grenades.

SPARTAN VI
04-30-2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by kenji
I saw Master Chief Holding two guns and read that left trigger is second weapon and right is first weapon. Looks unbelivable, but i wonder how you are going to thrown grenades.

You figure out a way to throw grenades with two guns in your hands, then tell us howya did it! :p Kinda like juggling and eating an apple pie at the same time.

When he's not holding two guns, you can use the old left trigger for 'nades. :D

No Fear 23
04-30-2003, 07:26 PM
we'll just have to wait and see, then we'll decide

EHWfedPres
04-30-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by SPARTAN VI

Figure out a way to throw grenades with two guns in your hands, then tell us howya did it! :p

When he's not holding two guns, you can use the old left trigger for 'nades. :D

The second weapon takes over for grenades. Said so in the mag.

SPARTAN VI
04-30-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by EHWfedPres

The second weapon takes over for grenades. Said so in the mag.

Isn't that what I said? Or are you just elaborating? :D :watchout:

MerimacHamwich
04-30-2003, 08:01 PM
That is so subjective it isn't even comprehensible to some people apparently.

Doom 3's level design is made to have long narrow halways and the such becuase it is a *dun dun* SURVIVAL HORROR! Thats right, the level design for Doom 3 is amazing becuase it is what it is suppose to be. The same can be said for Halo. Halo is meant to be a diverse battle ground with everything from halways to open fields, so it too has great level design. The same can be said for gameplay.

You cannot compare these two games gameplay wise as they are not in the same genre. Maybe the same point of view but not the same genre, not even close.

The graphics can be debated though because they are going to be along the same lines. Both are trying to get the most realistic look ever.

EHWfedPres
04-30-2003, 08:02 PM

Isn't that what I said? Or are you just elaborating? :D :watchout:

Well you didnt say that the second gun takes over for grenades...unless i was reading it wrong.

SPARTAN VI
04-30-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich

That is so subjective it isn't even comprehensible to some people apparently.

Doom 3's level design is made to have long narrow halways and the such becuase it is a *dun dun* SURVIVAL HORROR! Thats right, the level design for Doom 3 is amazing becuase it is what it is suppose to be. The same can be said for Halo. Halo is meant to be a diverse battle ground with everything from halways to open fields, so it too has great level design. The same can be said for gameplay.

You cannot compare these two games gameplay wise as they are not in the same genre. Maybe the same point of view but not the same genre, not even close.

The graphics can be debated though because they are going to be along the same lines. Both are trying to get the most realistic look ever.

Heh, so much for my old Doom3 vs Halo2 n00b thread.:D

MrSlam
04-30-2003, 08:37 PM
When the guys at Id announced that doom 3 will be on the xbox, they said it will match the PC version, visually.

Toonz
04-30-2003, 09:24 PM
lol its hardly subjective I wanna see them pull off those Doom3 Grapahics in a outdoor environment. It will be kept in hallways and rooms to limit draw distance which will lower the poly's that have to be drawn. It has nothing to do with survival horror I'm sure but rather programming limitations. As far as not the same genre they are both FPS are they not ? Thus both game will be compared to other FPS.

SPARTAN VI
04-30-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by EHWfedPres

Well you didnt say that the second gun takes over for grenades...unless i was reading it wrong.

Yeah, I said "When he's not holding two guns, you can use the old left trigger for 'nades. "

Doesn't matter,:cheers:

Lets wait and see everyone, what if Doom3 does go outside? Maybe a planet's surface or something, you never know.:watchout:

MerimacHamwich
04-30-2003, 11:31 PM
lol its hardly subjective I wanna see them pull off those Doom3 Grapahics in a outdoor environment. It will be kept in hallways and rooms to limit draw distance which will lower the poly's that have to be drawn. It has nothing to do with survival horror I'm sure but rather programming limitations. As far as not the same genre they are both FPS are they not ? Thus both game will be compared to other FPS.
BLAH!

Why is it so hard for people to understand me? It boggles my mind. Spartan VI had no trouble understanding me, why do you?

Lets go over our previous posts shall we?
You were commenting on how much better Halo 2 will be gameplay and level design wise than Doom 3.
I said you cannot compare the two games in that way becuase they are completely different genres. The point of view from which you play has no bearing on what genre of game it is. Saying player perspective or point of view determines the genre is like saying a basketball game played from a first person view is a tottally different genre and game than a basketball game played from the thir person perspective. It makes no sense.
Then you turned around and said that comparing the graphics of the two is not subjective at all. Where in the great blue heavens did that com from? I never said comparing the graphics was subjective. I said that gameplay is subjective. You cannot compare two different types of games and say that one has better gameplay than the other. Doing that would be like saying steak cooks better than a camcorder. Make any sense to you? Two different games in two diffrerent genres are meant to play differently.
Are Unreal 2 and Unreal Tournament 2003 in the same genre? No, they are not. One is a story driven military representation type game where you are a soldier taking down enemies played int he first person perspective. Kind of in the survival horror genre. The other is a sports game played from the first person perspective. You have a team to manage and tournaments to enter. To completely different types of games.
You honestly think that John Carmack and his company Id cannot program well enough to develop the graphics in a huge outdoor arena? Do you know anything about Id? I would speculate you don't.
To clear up what I said even further. I was saying you cannot compare gameplay between these two games becuase it is subjective. One game is suppose to play one way and the other is supose to play another way. You can compare the graphics though becuase they are trying to achieve the same thing.

Understand?

-edit-
Although at first look Doom 3 may seem as the same type of game as Halo, it isn't. Think of it like Silent Hill or Resident Evil played from a first person view rather than a first person view. Halo is like every other shoot em up go crazy games out there. More like Perfect Dark or Golden Eye.

l Maximus l
05-01-2003, 01:42 AM
This will obviously differ from person to person, but...

...one thing is for sure, Halo 2 will likely only cost me $50, or if I'm patient, I can get it from the Microsoft store of $20.

On the other hand, DOOM 3 will likely cost me $1500 by the time I could play it...very much due to the fact that I'd probably have to purchase a new computer and have it customized with the applicable hardware and graphics card.

Nonetheless, both are going to be bad ass games...and DOOM 3 will likely boast better graphics due to the ability to upgrade computers and the lack of ability to upgrade our XBoxes. And, as if this needs to be said, Halo 2 is going to look utterly bad ass, too and will likely maximize the XBox's capabilities.

Regardless, if I had to choose between having either one, I'd take Halo 2 in a heartbeat. :cool:

chunk83
05-01-2003, 09:50 AM
Well, the game in the near future with by far the best graphics is Resident Evil 4..........unbelievable. F-zero is pretty close too.

KingNader
05-01-2003, 12:42 PM
hmm this seems cool, but im sorta confused for some reason i think

SPARTAN VI
05-01-2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by chunk83
Well, the game in the near future with by far the best graphics is Resident Evil 4..........unbelievable. F-zero is pretty close too.

LOL, you like those prerendered back grounds, do you? :rolleyes: It annoys me [but TheCovenant more] when people say Resident Evil has the best graphics, the enviroments are purely prerendered CG. All they have to do is render all that, map out collision detection points, map out character models, then slap em in there. The next thing you know you're playing with puppets. It does look nice, but considering how easy it is accomplish, it can't compete with the likes of Halo2 or Doom3.

F-Zero looks a lot like Quantum Redishift, if not, then [a tad] worse. BUT! I saw Koopa's EGM today with Rogue Squadron 3 on the cover. Man, now that is a nice lookin GameCube game.:D

MerimacHamwich
05-01-2003, 07:51 PM
Spartan is exactly right. All the resident evil games do is pretty much put a photoshop or other programmed image in. That is all. Any and every system can do that. Minus ofcourse te earlier ones. Halo2, Doom 3, Abducted, Halflife 2, and that other hyped PC game that I cannot believe I forgot the name of, are the ones that are really pushing the industry in the graphics department. They even look better in most instances.

Diddy
05-01-2003, 08:43 PM
Doom is the originator of First Person Shooters so theres no way a repsectible FPS player would pass it up. Either way, im gonna get both when they come out. Ive been waiting for Halo on the damn PC and it keeps getting delayed.

Sodacider
05-02-2003, 02:58 AM
There's no real nice way to say this.

Halo 2 is going to be absolutely incredible, likely the best game for at least a year from when it comes out, but not graphically superior.

Doom III is more like an Unreal 2 PC game, meaning its very very different. Personally, I absolutely love Unreal 2, especially on this computer (full specs, I bought this with my pay bonus in the Marines). However, Doom III isn't on the Unreal engine (as far as I understand) and thus might not even be as good graphically as Unreal 2 (yes, I just essentially said that Unreal 2 is the best game in the ****ing world aside from Halo).

But here's what it comes down to. The sleeper hit C&C Renegade, which was by no means great, was more Halo than Doom, and you'd really understand by playing it- The engine is built around teamwork, stealth, firepower, and (the big one) vehicles. That's the same with Halo.

Halo is essentially everything that Unreal or Doom III is not, and vice versa. Unreal is about pure firepower (with some admittedly good story), quick instincts, seagoats, and other various explosive-oriented events. Halo, on the other hand, has such a broad spectrum- yes, that's a part of it, but so are the vehicles, so is everything else, and it excels. It isn't as fast paced, but its fast enough to be as good.

Halo to this day ranks as my top game, next to Unreal 2. Both have near-perfect surround sound (and stereo too), and though Unreal 2 is far superior graphically it's atmosphere is so different that Halo still remains eye candy.

Another Halo bonus: It's weapons are like ten times cooler than Unreal's and likely Doom III's with the exception of the Unreal's rocket launcher (breaking into 4 guided missiles later in the game), specialized grenades, and of course- the (dear-god-almighty) flamethrower.

Diddy
05-02-2003, 02:22 PM
but we can all agree that:
Halo 2 WILL be sick
Doom 3 already is(for those of use who have played Alpha)
Ditto for Unreal 2. I dont even think i can run unreal 2 without it freezing (GeForce 3 128 MB)

I just want to get Halo 2 and Doom already because it cant wait anymore, from seeing screens of halo 2 to playing doom, its really nerve racking.

Toonz
05-02-2003, 06:09 PM
Call me a simpleton MerimacHamwich but if its in first person view and I'm holding a gun running around shooting enemies and grabbing pickups along the way its all 1 big genre to me. Certain games like RTCW may add a few neat twists to it but in the end its all the same game with different textures IMO. Using your UC vs UT2K3 example yes these games are the same. Big deal one includes a story. That doesn't put it a field all its own IMO especially when shelling out $80 at the store. If you have played even just 1 FPS game you could pick up any other title you want and you'd know what to do. Point gun at enemy and fire. You don't even have to read the manual for controls. Why ? becuase they all more or less the same.

PS. its not that I don't understand you, I DON"T AGREE with you. Doom 3 is gonna be nothing more than hyped up graphics whore and will bring absolutely nothing new to the table IMO.

Snoopy7548
05-02-2003, 06:57 PM
well, what new things is halo 2 gonna bring to the table? they already did the vehicles in halo. so whats gonna be new in halo 2? just more vehicles and guns, and different levels.

Xbox Owner
05-02-2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Snoopy7548
well, what new things is halo 2 gonna bring to the table? they already did the vehicles in halo. so whats gonna be new in halo 2? just more vehicles and guns, and different levels.

enemies, features to interact w/ eviroment, better AI, better graphics, online play.

BTW, Toonz, ur sig is way to big (file size)

Snoopy7548
05-02-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Xbox Owner

enemies, features to interact w/ eviroment, better AI, better graphics, online play.

doom 3 will have all of that

Xbox Owner
05-02-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Snoopy7548

doom 3 will have all of that

well, we'll see who does it better, lol. only time will tell....

SPARTAN VI
05-02-2003, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Xbox Owner

well, we'll see who does it better, lol. only time will tell....

I think the AI will go with Halo2. Honestly, you can make a walking corpse a goddam genius, hes a friggin corpse. From what I know, the Covenant will do anything they need to put you down, climb, jump, send out organized search parties, etc. Nothing known about Doom3, but I expect hoards n hoards of dumb zombies. The only things that might have the capacity for full AI would be the Archviles, Demons, Imps, Revenants, CackleDemons, CyberDemon Lord, Lost soul [maybe], Barons of Hell, and their weaker counterparts. But, they're still only erratic demons. I haven't seen anything on some of the older baddies, like the Mangubus or the spider thingys. Man, Doom3's goin to rock. They'll both rock! :cheers:

nik2deep
05-03-2003, 12:06 AM

I think the AI will go with Halo2. Honestly, you can make a walking corpse a goddam genius, hes a friggin corpse. From what I know, the Covenant will do anything they need to put you down, climb, jump, send out organized search parties, etc. Nothing known about Doom3, but I expect hoards n hoards of dumb zombies. The only things that might have the capacity for full AI would be the Archviles, Demons, Imps, Revenants, CackleDemons, CyberDemon Lord, Lost soul [maybe], Barons of Hell, and their weaker counterparts. But, they're still only erratic demons. I haven't seen anything on some of the older baddies, like the Mangubus or the spider thingys. Man, Doom3's goin to rock. They'll both rock! :cheers:

Actually in the DOOM3 demo i had, on the second board you had to fight these demon like marines. And Yes they had guns, So there not all dumb slow walking corpses....Who knows whats in store...

-JJaX

l Maximus l
05-03-2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by nik2deep

Actually in the DOOM3 demo i had, on the second board you had to fight these demon like marines. And Yes they had guns, So there not all dumb slow walking corpses....Who knows whats in store...

-JJaX

JJaX?! Why in the hell are you using Nik's account? You slut!!! :D

nik2deep
05-03-2003, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA

JJaX?! Why in the hell are you using Nik's account? You slut!!! :D

CAuse im a man whore :watchout:

And i have to disagree merichamwhich, Doom 3 and Halo 2 are story driven FPS games. That sounds like the same genre to me....

-JJaX

SPARTAN VI
05-03-2003, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by nik2deep

-JJaX

Yeah, I remember the good ol former humans, the sergeants were punks wit their shotguns! Anyway, they weren't too challenging in the first two Dooms, but maybe they have new tricks up their sleeve...:watchout:

Soul Redeemer
05-04-2003, 02:38 AM
Ya. Halo 2 does look awesome !!

XboxResearcher
05-04-2003, 01:18 PM
Halo 2 should set new standards for the whole video game industry. I think what we may see at E3 is just a small taste of what they have in store for all of us.

MerimacHamwich
05-04-2003, 05:01 PM
Call me a simpleton MerimacHamwich but if its in first person view and I'm holding a gun running around shooting enemies and grabbing pickups along the way its all 1 big genre to me. Certain games like RTCW may add a few neat twists to it but in the end its all the same game with different textures IMO. Using your UC vs UT2K3 example yes these games are the same. Big deal one includes a story. That doesn't put it a field all its own IMO especially when shelling out $80 at the store. If you have played even just 1 FPS game you could pick up any other title you want and you'd know what to do. Point gun at enemy and fire. You don't even have to read the manual for controls. Why ? becuase they all more or less the same.

PS. its not that I don't understand you, I DON"T AGREE with you. Doom 3 is gonna be nothing more than hyped up graphics whore and will bring absolutely nothing new to the table IMO.
As is already known, I completely disagree with you and JJax.
As well, I didn't compare UC and UT2k3. I compared Unreal 2 and Unreal Tournament 2003. One is an action/survival horror game played from the firt person perspective. The other is a sports game. Both of them happen to have guns. What if UT2k3 was based around throwing balls at eachother, IE: dodge ball, which is basically what it already is. According to you they would not be the same.
So why does having two games where you both shoot guns from a first person perspective make it the same genre. Yes they have two things in common. That doesn't mean they are in the same genre though.
As I said before, the genre is dependent on the gameplay. In one you are playing a sport, in the other you are blasting evil baddies who are trying to destroy you in some evil plot to do something.
Such is the case with Halo 2 and Doom 3. Well, somewhat the same. They both follow the same sort of storyline. Both games include some evil force trying to control the universe. However, the gameplay and storylines are still different. IN Doom 3 you are sent to a world to investigate an unknown phenomenon. You then try to irradicate the evil forces using your wits. Be it with your mind while solving puzzles or your body with blasting baddies.
Halo 2 is all about blasting baddies.
I agree that they do carry some similarities and maybe I am wrong saying they are in a different genre. However, I guess the main point I was trying to get across is that the perspective in which you play a game does not determine what genre that game belongs to.

Smokin Penguin
05-04-2003, 05:17 PM
I agree. The graphics in Halo 2 are going to be really sweet! If only it would come out sooner. Oh well, atleast we can dream about it...

Diddy
05-04-2003, 06:01 PM

Yeah, I remember the good ol former humans, the sergeants were punks wit their shotguns! Anyway, they weren't too challenging in the first two Dooms, but maybe they have new tricks up their sleeve...:watchout:

nah theyre not, at least not in the demo, some how i cornered one with a minigun behind a small wall, and everytime he saw me, he shot the wall. It was weird. I had more trouble with the keypad door they were guarding than them.

MerimacHamwich
05-04-2003, 07:31 PM
It was not a Demo you played. It was an Alpha build. Refer to previous posts to find out what an Alpha build is.

JJaX
05-04-2003, 08:31 PM
Merihamwhich, once again let me call you a "moron"

MORON....

Your rebutle is so stupid and makes no sense i cant even begin to explain were you went wrong. Well acutally it never "went" anywhere...

They both follow the same sort of storyline. Both games include some evil force trying to control the universe. However, the gameplay and storylines are still different. IN Doom 3 you are sent to a world to investigate an unknown phenomenon. You then try to irradicate the evil forces using your wits. Be it with your mind while solving puzzles or your body with blasting baddies.
Halo 2 is all about blasting baddies.

You basically gave a half assed Doom3 plot discrpition and labled it a different genre than HALO2, because you failed to give a brief discription of that as well.

Did you think all that up yourself? I hope the hell your granpa or little sister was posting.

Ok lets compare the two....You still with me?

DOOM3 is a FPS
HALO2 is a FPS

DOOM3 has a story were happen to kill things
HALO2 has a story were you happen to kill things

DOOM3 has scripted events that made half-life so popular
HALO2 has scripted events that made half-life so popular
Thank half-life for a more story oriented FPS game

Oh wait, according to you, half-life wouldnt be the same genre as doom3 or halo2. Scratch that last one :roll nuts:

Just because the 2 games have "different" stories doesnt classify them to be in 2 different genres. And of course storylines are going to be different you jackass.

I still dont understand what your trying to prove. Are you just trying to be "Unique" and voice your tired as opinion? Is this some sort of team rebellion thing youre going through? PLease explain because you are making no sense WHAT SO EVER

MerimacHamwich
05-04-2003, 09:52 PM
Actually I am making sense. I know my last statements were a little weak becuase its true, the games are alot alike. I still think they are in different genres though. Heck I explained my whole position in my last post. I don't have any idea of why you are so confused.

Like I said before. Doom 3 is out to scare you. Halo 2 is there to take you through an action packed epic story.

Q: What do you classify specific types of storylines or plots under? A: Genre. Be it Horror, Action, Drama, Love or whatever.
Q: What do you classify different types of gameplay under? A: A genre. Be it sports, action, shoot em up, beat em ep etc.
Put those two together and what do you get? A video game genre.

Doom 3: Storyline/Plot - Horror. Gameplay: Puzzle/Shoot em up.
Genre: A shoot em up Horror game with puzzle elements.

Halo 2: Storyline/Plot - Action. Gameplay: Shoot em up.
Genre: An action shot em up game.

Both games are played fromt he first person persective. Does that have anything to do with what genre of game they belong to? No.

JJaX
05-04-2003, 11:14 PM
You're impossible...

You just feel the need to disagree just on the mere fact ANYTHING can be argued.

Example, you could say any game is anything if you wanna think that way.

Example of being you. I can say ghost recon is a RPG because it has RPG elements. In the campaign mode you earn stat points which build up your squads attributes....

Do you get were im going here? You just want to create all these sub genres baised on the soul fact that certain games have slighlty (and im stetching it by saying slightly) different game play elements.

Whats next? Halo1 and Halo2 are 2 different Genres because the AI is different? Or maybe the texture mapping was to darker and that created a scarier atomosphere. Should we classify this as a different genre? (DuH! FuK no!)

Face the facts....

They're both story driven FPS games. That sounds like 1 genre to me.

Get over it...I win you lose.

MerimacHamwich
05-05-2003, 12:17 AM
JJax, grow up.

maneatingcow
05-05-2003, 12:36 AM
Doom 3 is a survival horror game. It is also a FPS.

Halo 2, in it's current form (what we know) is a FPS.

They both belong to the same genre, but Doom 3 also branches off into it's own.

tWoTOMA
05-05-2003, 02:39 AM
It seems like many of you are comparing apples to oranges. You can't possibly compare Halo 2 on Xbox to Doom 3 on PC. The alpha leak you are all talking about looks great I'm sure, but it will almost surely have to be toned down for Xbox. Then wil it be better than Halo 2? I'm not so sure. Both games are going to be stunning, that is definite.

As far as which will be the BETTER game, my money is on Halo. Since the original was the best game I have ever had the delight of playing, the second installment should be even better. Of course, I am more of an action fps fan than a survival horror fan. Although a survival horror game in FPS is something new, I'd rather blast baddies by the thousands.

As for what Halo 2 will introduce to gaming: the best graphics on a console to date, more outstanding vehicles, additions to the best weapon set ever, improvements on already outstanding enemy AI, and revolutionary online play not only in multiplayer, but in the MMO aspect. Never before has a FPS promised to be a MMO experience. 2-16 at a time will be old news after Halo 2. Also, although it will not be a revolutionary feature, destructable environments will be new to the Halo series. And the storyline will be undoubtedly gripping, as was the first.

Doom will offer great graphics, possibly matching those of Halo 2. It will also offer a new genre, FPS horror. It will undoubtedly be a great game. But I doubt it can hold a condle to Halo 2.

l Maximus l
05-05-2003, 02:46 AM
To me, an FPS is where you are a dude walking around in the first person perspective...with a gun in front of you looking out as if you were the one walking or running around and looking through the character's eyes.

But, of course, the beauty of FPSs is that they have different story lines. That's what makes the genre so sweet. Who would want the FPS genre to become tired and boring? Of course, no one would, therefore, developers think of many ways to tweak them to fit the story line.

For instance, Unreal Championship is an FPS reminscient to Running Man. The game is a lethal sport, for the most part...

Halo is an FPS that is more of a heroic adventure...saving the universe from a cultic species trying to rule it.

Wolfenstein is an FPS that contains some puzzles. For example, you have to hit a switch to open a door that could be on the other side of the map that was locked before. In the meantime, you blow up nazis, zombies..and zombie-nazis :D

Each of these games appear to be very different, but, all are played in the first person perspective. Seems logical to me... :watchout:

JJaX
05-05-2003, 01:09 PM
JJax, grow up.

http://www.ileet.net/images/laughing.jpg

No you grow up!

EHWfedPres
05-05-2003, 01:25 PM
Halo and Doom are both fps games, period. Doom 3 incorportates the horror sub-genre to the fps aspect...but they are both still first person shooters.

aj142
05-05-2003, 01:45 PM
Can't wait for either of these games. period.

Diddy
05-05-2003, 02:31 PM
It was not a Demo you played. It was an Alpha build. Refer to previous posts to find out what an Alpha build is.

Refer to previous posts on how to transfer ideas from your head onto the computer monitor by pressing certain groups of keys to alter the screen in turn creating words, which create sentences.

Please take notice of how people make theyre ideas, make sense.

greendog97
05-05-2003, 03:39 PM
i cant wait for Halo 2. The first one was amazing. My second favorite game. The multiplayer will be awesome if it's live.

MerimacHamwich
05-05-2003, 06:55 PM
My whole argument seems to have been misconstrued. Maybe it was my wording or maybe I was just not understood.
I say First Person Shooter should not be a genre. It is just the perspective in which you play the game from. That is the only part of the game that FPS refers to. It does not necessarily identify what is done in the game nor what type of gameplay will be found within the game. Which is why so many people get confused with games like Unreal Championship. They see it under the genre of FPS so they automatically associate it with games like Halo. In reality the game play isn't the same. There is no story in UC as it is a sports game. So instead of putting games with guns played from the first person perspective in a huge group labelled FPS. They should be put where they belong. IE: Unreal Championship in the sports category. Halo in the Action or shoot em up category. Doom 3 in the puzzle or horror category.

SPARTAN VI
05-05-2003, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by JJaX

http://www.ileet.net/images/laughing.jpg

No you grow up!

LMAO!

:rofl:

Teleteeps
05-06-2003, 12:18 AM
Yes, Halo 2 will be by far and away the best all around game ever made.

JJaX
05-06-2003, 01:57 AM
My whole argument seems to have been misconstrued. Maybe it was my wording or maybe I was just not understood.
I say First Person Shooter should not be a genre. It is just the perspective in which you play the game from. That is the only part of the game that FPS refers to.

FIRST PERSON SHOOTER

You "SHOOT" a lot of things. You're missing the word "SHOOTER" here champ.

Was Morrowind or Dues Ex considered a FPS? NO. So the fact thats its played from a first persons perscpective doesnt eactly define the genre.

Thats why i refer to it as a story driven FPS. It is a FPS game that is driven by story and scripted events. Thats what Halo2, DoomIII and half-life 2 are all about.

Sure you can say UT is a different sub-genre, because its not a "STORY" driven FPS. But when you break it down, its a FPS and people like things simple.

"Oh i like FPS games, let me buy it."

teewinot
05-06-2003, 11:30 AM
As far as graphics go, screen shots, etc. of the two clearly show (in my opinion) DIII with superior graphics. Both will be tweaked greatly before we see final images thought.

The games will play so differently, though, that we'll all be happy to have both!

As for Xbox capabilities vs. PC, I had read where Id was excited about the Xbox, because it would give them the ability to tweak the graphics even further than on the PC. I know that on the surface, a high-powered PC seems like the greater work-horse the the Xbox. Maybe its because all of the Xbox's hardware are focused completely on the game. As opposed to a PC, where it has to support one huge hog of an operating system.

My last thought is this though. You can have your PC games. I'll take my Xbox, my nice comfortable couch, Dolby digital 5.1 surround stereo system (Sony ES), and Sony 43" wide screen HDTV. The best thing the Xbox did was give us the deep, detailed, PC gaming world, in an enviroment away from the PC!

Viperslasher
05-06-2003, 03:54 PM
Chunk you have a while to wait until halo 2 comes out. In this magazine i got they say they are extending it to 2004! That made me mad.

SPARTAN VI
05-06-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Viperslasher
Chunk you have a while to wait until halo 2 comes out. In this magazine i got they say they are extending it to 2004! That made me mad.

That made me glad [er]. Rather wait for a perfect game, than any other "good" game.

Diddy
05-07-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by JJaX

FIRST PERSON SHOOTER

You "SHOOT" a lot of things. You're missing the word "SHOOTER" here champ.

Was Morrowind or Dues Ex considered a FPS? NO. So the fact thats its played from a first persons perscpective doesnt eactly define the genre.

Thats why i refer to it as a story driven FPS. It is a FPS game that is driven by story and scripted events. Thats what Halo2, DoomIII and half-life 2 are all about.

Sure you can say UT is a different sub-genre, because its not a "STORY" driven FPS. But when you break it down, its a FPS and people like things simple.

"Oh i like FPS games, let me buy it."

i agree with u man really i do, but why the hell are we arguing about whether or not halo or, i dont even know what game we were arguing about is a FPS or not. WHO CARES?????

www.attrition.org/gallery/computing/ forum/stop_repost.jpg