PDA

View Full Version : THUNK (That would be the sound of my Jaw hitting the floor)

Brevity
05-01-2003, 09:12 AM
DOOOOMMMM 3
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2003/pc/doom3/0430/doom3_screen001.jpg

chunk83
05-01-2003, 09:46 AM
halo 2 actually looks better than doom 3, or so the new screenshots in OXM show.

Steve1987
05-01-2003, 10:59 AM
Hahaha this game is going to be great, it's gonna scare the **** out of you! :p

I want to see more pics of half life 2, as Valve is saying it's going to be the best looking game ever made! :cheers:

But Halo 2, Doom 3 and Half life 2 are all on the games to buy list!
Just wish i didn't have these damn exams in between me and the games! :cuss:

natewebb
05-01-2003, 12:37 PM
I've seen screenshots of Half Life 2 in my PCGAMER and they are unbelievable. Is that game going to be on any console?

As for DOOM3, I heard thats PC and XBOX only.

I've got UNREAL2 and I have to say it looks awesome. Would have made a great XBOX game.

KingNader
05-01-2003, 12:41 PM
wow with the looks of that on an xbox, this baby will probably last a lot longer than it will be needed (w/ xbox 2 and ps3 coming out)

Hugh_Jass
05-01-2003, 12:52 PM
I still don't believe DOOM3 will look nearly that good on the XBOX. If they can pull it off the XBOX will sell a lot of HDTVs. :D

Brevity
05-01-2003, 12:58 PM
I would buy this game no matter what but imagine that at E3 we here that the XB version will not only support 1080i but XBL full multi player. Oh just the thought of it!

LynxFX
05-01-2003, 01:15 PM
Yeah I saw that earlier along with this one, both ingame shots btw.

Here is part of an interview:

GS: I bet that you're playing at least parts of the game internally. Are there certain moments that stand out in your mind as memorable? What's your favorite weapon?

TW: I've had a number of great experiences recently, but one of the best happened just the other day and really brought together a bunch of the cool new elements in Doom III. I was making my way through one of the more lab-type areas of the game and started down a hallway. As I got about halfway down the hall, one of the zombie scientists approached from the next room. I was low on ammo and health and wanted to lure him down the hall, away from any other enemies in the next room, so I retreated to the previous room and waited. As he moved down the hallway, the light behind him was much stronger, so he cast a long shadow that moved ahead of him--I could see him coming just by his shadow. When he was finally in front of me, I shot him square in the chest with the shotgun. He just happened to be standing in front of a window to another room, and the force of the shotgun blast blew him back through the window and down a short set of stairs. We utilize "rag doll" physics on our characters, so his body tumbled perfectly down the stairs to the bottom. It was one of those moments where you just say, "Wow!"

GS: We all know that the focus is on Doom III's single-player component, but tell us what the current multiplayer plans are and where they stand right now.

TW: Our focus hasn't changed--we're putting all our resources into developing an unbelievable single-player experience. We will, however, include a multiplayer component that includes game types like deathmatch and last man standing. There is nothing more visceral than competing against another human player, particularly in a first-person game. However, this experience is going to be very different from something like Quake III Arena. Doom III multiplayer is incredibly intense, and the light and shadows play a much bigger role in the gameplay. Never before in a multiplayer game have players had to worry about their shadow and whether or not it has revealed their position, or been able to shoot out lights so they can hide in the darkness. This alone adds a level of reality, depth, and atmosphere that is again going to redefine expectations about how a multiplayer game should look and feel.

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2003/pc/doom3/0430/doom3_screen002.jpg

JJaX
05-01-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by chunk83
halo 2 actually looks better than doom 3, or so the new screenshots in OXM show.

You need glasses....

Halo 2 is beautiful, but its not even close to the detail in DOOM3. You cant compare a PC game to an Xbox game, its just not fair.

As of now, the best looking PC game i have is Unreal II. With the resolution jacked up and details set high its amazing. Great game too!

And i also have the DOOM3 Alpha leak, it slows down when i shoot the bad guys, But you get a general idea of how amazing its going to be. I cant imagine DOOM3 on the Xbox, its going to be toned down for sure.

Snoopy7548
05-01-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Hugh_Jass
I still don't believe DOOM3 will look nearly that good on the XBOX. If they can pull it off the XBOX will sell a lot of HDTVs. :D

in an interview thing i saw one time, john carmack said that it could be ported to the xbox without degrading the graphics in any way.

Brevity
05-01-2003, 02:03 PM
When I look at that screen I keep thinking of that songs thats like 'Let the bodies hit the floor, let the bodies hit the floor." I so think this screen is better than NE I have seen of Halo 2. They are great too but just not this great. Also I was reading of this thing that may be done in Halo 2 and let me say if it is done or if it works and all it will really change and mark a dif in how we look at a game and say "wow that looks very realist." I am not being secretive I just forgot what its called and where I read it.

SPARTAN VI
05-01-2003, 05:53 PM
Upon entering the thread, numerous THUNKS were heard.

http://66.227.101.70/cwm/cwm/eek2.gif http://66.227.101.70/cwm/cwm/eek2.gif http://66.227.101.70/cwm/cwm/eek2.gif http://66.227.101.70/cwm/cwm/eek2.gif

That looks awesome. Some people need to be hit with a 2x4 if they still think Halo2 looks better. Halo2 might eventually look better, though. It still has a year to go. :D

Variation-XBA
05-01-2003, 05:56 PM
Im trying not to get swept up in how good it looks, as we all know graphics dont make a game good. Given yes, I doubt it will be a failure, Im waiting abit longer before I start getting hyped about it.

Humanarchy
05-01-2003, 06:01 PM
Damn! Those are some amaaazing screenshots! I can't wait for Doom III!!!!! So, its definately gunna be released on the XBox?
Do we have a release date yet?

DZNUTZ
05-01-2003, 06:06 PM
oh yea...doom3, halo2, half-life 2,

not to mention the sooner released,
RTCW, GR island thunder, raven shield and counter-strike!

hell mufucan YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

i'm sho xba and ddc will def. be gathering as much info on this bad boy as possible at e3!

l Maximus l
05-01-2003, 06:10 PM
That definately looks awesome. I think that Snoopy made a good point saying that it's possible that DOOM3 wouldn't have to be changed to run on the XBox. Now, before flaming me, hear me out on this:

First and second generation XBox games won't even hold a candle to third and fourth generation XBox games when it comes to visuals. So, is it possible? I mean, look at the first generation PS2 games compared to the new ones...you can't even compare them. First generation PS2 games are either exactly or a tad better than last generation PS1 games.

We all truly can't say that DOOM 3 won't or will need to be downgraded to run on XBox and can't certain because we don't have the "exact" specs what DOOM 3 will require. And with technology getting greater and greater, is it possible to have lower spec capabilities on a console and still be able to run the game as smooth as silk if it has lower specs than a PC? It's really tough to say at this point. I think time will tell...so, we'll see.

Doom 3 is definately coming along nicely, for sure, though :D

Reclaimer
05-01-2003, 06:16 PM
First, can someone fix the sizing issue here? The pictures are so damn big that you have to scroll for days to read the posts.

Second, what am I looking at? I can't see squat in that first picture. It's too dark.

So I take it all the hoopla is for DoomIII.
If the Xbox version looks as good as this, than watch out!:watchout:

But in order to be the Halo2 killer, we need to see some vehicles, some outdoor levels, some killer multiplayer opportunities, and some co-op with NPC's. If DoomIII can't give us that, then it'll have to take the backseat to Halo2

Snoopy7548
05-01-2003, 06:18 PM
i dont really think there should be vehicles in doom 3. there were never vehicles in any of the doom games. its only been an indoor game (you dont really go outside). so i dont know.

y2kash_14
05-01-2003, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Reclaimer

But in order to be the Halo2 killer, we need to see some vehicles, some outdoor levels, some killer multiplayer opportunities, and some co-op with NPC's. If DoomIII can't give us that, then it'll have to take the backseat to Halo2

i'm gonna disagree with this one. You seemed to have listed the features of a Halo game. So your saying in order for Doom 3 to topple Halo 2.. it's gonna have to copy it? Personally, I don't think so...I am sure Doom3 can and will do just as good, if not better, than Halo without being a Halo clone.

Reclaimer
05-01-2003, 09:45 PM
Well, I figure those where the features that made Halo so great, and those are the features we know that are being expanded on. So, I'm thinking DoomIII has some big shoes to fill. It's going to take more than eye candy to take over as the king of FPS now. We know why Halo was great, and we know why Halo2 will be better. I'm not writing off D3, but it's going to take alot ot beat Halo2 out, especially with the massive hype riding behind Halo2.
Besides, when you think Halo, or Halo2, what do you think of? Graphics, story, vehicles.... I'm just being realistic. Doom3 must serve up some serious content besides graphics to be the better game.

l Maximus l
05-02-2003, 01:42 AM
I agree with Reclaimer...though, I don't think DOOMIII ever intended on competing with Halo2...I think gamers like us did that :D hehe

Actually, they are both using similar lighting technologies which hasn't been done before on any other game in history...so, maybe that's how they got so much attention to comparison.

As far as I'm concerned, they are two totally different types of FPSs, though, sharing the same genre. They are both going to be phenominal in their own ways...but, quite honestly, I'm far more pumped up about Halo2 only because I'm a die hard fan of the original :wink:

Insane Jester
05-02-2003, 03:26 AM
nice if only the graphics really would look like that .. not be long now though ...

Sodacider
05-02-2003, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA
I'm far more pumped up about Halo2 only because I'm a die hard fan of the original :wink:

We can completely expect Halo 2 to be an improvement over the first because of how much we've seen put out about it and how great the first one was.

Remember that exactly what you said is the reason people want Doom III. They were die hard fans of the originals. Unfortunately those are ancient, all we've seen are a handful of decent screenshots which are on-par with Unreal 2 and Halo 2, and the producers of Doom III are not talent bases in modern gaming.

;)

And to think I've got it pre-ordered anyway.

nik2deep
05-03-2003, 12:10 AM
I dont care what anyone says, but Halo wouldnt even exist if it wasnt for the people over at ID.

Show some respect.....

-JJaX

l Maximus l
05-03-2003, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by nik2deep
I dont care what anyone says, but Halo wouldnt even exist if it wasnt for the people over at ID.

Show some respect.....

-JJaX

JJaX...still using Nik's account?! What a hoe! :D

nik2deep
05-03-2003, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA

JJaX...still using Nik's account?! What a hoe! :D

Yeah im to lazy to log out! :p

-JJaX

twilla
05-03-2003, 03:32 AM
Halo 2 will be very very close to DoomIII in visuals
STALKER however slightly beats them both.
Half Life II is not in these games category its not far behind
however.

We all win in the end if we survive 2003 and 2004 delays!;)

twilla
05-03-2003, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by twilla
Halo 2 will be very very close to DoomIII in visuals
STALKER however slightly beats them both.
Half Life II is not in these games category its not far behind
however.

We all win in the end if we survive 2003 and 2004 delays!;)

Wait I just saw the Half Life II mag screens that game is in Doom and Halo's class and with its own nice art style!

Kortiz
05-03-2003, 04:29 AM
Originally posted by Reclaimer
First, can someone fix the sizing issue here? The pictures are so damn big that you have to scroll for days to read the posts.

Second, what am I looking at? I can't see squat in that first picture. It's too dark.

So I take it all the hoopla is for DoomIII.
If the Xbox version looks as good as this, than watch out!:watchout:

I tried to get them to change it but they said it makes the page like fuxorzed. so it was a no go.

Reclaimer
05-03-2003, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by Fosho

I tried to get them to change it but they said it makes the page like fuxorzed. so it was a no go.

"fuxorzed"? Eh? I wouldn't want that to happen to. I think.

Ok, seriously, I have no idea what that means.

Highlite23
05-03-2003, 09:42 AM
Besides the rediculouse size of these images.....................All i can say is:yikes:

No Fear 23
05-03-2003, 03:26 PM
damn, i feel bad for Pos2 for not getting some.

all the best games are heading to xbox while pos2 is only getting lame games. as soon as those games hit the shelf, xbox will soar up higher than jjax :D is as pos2 will take a huge plunge down to the bottom pit.

Halo 2, Half-life, Counterstrike, RTCW, Fable, Brute Force, Raven Sheild, Doom 3.

Haw Haw!:rofl:

shrew king
05-03-2003, 04:10 PM
Half Life 2, Halo 2, & DOOM III all coming to the Xbox. I'd hate myself if I had bought a Gamecube or PS2 when I didn't have a console.

Let's just hope these games make it out as soon as possible.

Cyclone
05-03-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by natewebb
I've seen screenshots of Half Life 2 in my PCGAMER and they are unbelievable. Is that game going to be on any console?

As for DOOM3, I heard thats PC and XBOX only.

I've got UNREAL2 and I have to say it looks awesome. Would have made a great XBOX game.

Unreal 2 does have some amazing graphics but the gameplay sucks terribly ;\

# 1 Stunner
05-03-2003, 07:12 PM
what games of those games u mentioned above wil hit ps2..like rtcw,cs,half life,doom 3, will any of those games hit ps2?

Soul Redeemer
05-04-2003, 01:29 AM
Sweet man .. I wasn't really anticipating this game but for some reason im ... STOKED !!

No Fear 23
05-04-2003, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by # 1 Stunner
what games of those games u mentioned above wil hit ps2..like rtcw,cs,half life,doom 3, will any of those games hit ps2?

i just hope microsoft will make those games xbox exclusive

JJaX
05-04-2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Cyclone

Unreal 2 does have some amazing graphics but the gameplay sucks terribly ;\

Uhhh what unreal II were you playing?

The gameplay is awesome in U2.

Brevity
05-13-2003, 09:22 AM
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2003/e3/0512/pc_doom305120900_screen001.jpg
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2003/e3/0512/pc_doom305120900_screen002.jpg
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2003/e3/0512/pc_doom305120900_screen003.jpg

Batman_wanna_be
05-21-2003, 01:34 AM
I think It will be a ill ass game

LynxFX
05-21-2003, 02:47 AM
Those crab creatures are crazy!!! Upside down skulls, I love it. Too bad all they had was another video at E3. :(

Brevity
05-21-2003, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Lynxfx-XBA
Those crab creatures are crazy!!! Upside down skulls, I love it. Too bad all they had was another video at E3. :(
I hear you there.

I think thats kinda a cool look for those badies too, odd but cool. Not odd like finding out you are some spiked haired punk kid but odd none the less. LOL Jking.

Casper
05-21-2003, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Brevity

I hear you there.

I think thats kinda a cool look for those badies too, odd but cool. Not odd like finding out you are some spiked haired punk kid but odd none the less. LOL Jking.

And one with a Canadien accent too, nonetheless :rofl:

LynxFX
05-21-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by casper
And one with a Canadien accent too, nonetheless :rofl:

Hey that accent was like SARS. When you are around the right people you can't help but get it....then get quarantined to the Northern Territory if ya know whut I'm talking a boot. :D