PDA

View Full Version : The real competion is here: Halo 2 vs Half-Life 2

TegSkywalker
05-02-2003, 08:49 AM
Since both of these games are coming to the Xbox, be Live compatable, and fall into the FPS genre, it will be a shootout to see what is the shooter up game for the Xbox in the next year or so.

I mean hmmm...

Halo - One of the most revolutionary console games ever
Half-Life - One of the most revolutionary PC games ever.

Oh what a tight competion it will be :)

chunk83
05-02-2003, 08:51 AM
I didnt know that half life 2 was live compatible, but thats cool. I'll be getting it for the pc anyway. Halo 2 is looking to be alot more fun. I mean, we get to have massive battles on live!!!

Jordan_lorentz
05-02-2003, 08:56 AM
Yeah halo 2 will be great much better than halflife 2 and such.:argue1:

chunk83
05-02-2003, 08:58 AM
Does anyone know how many people can play halo 2 at once online, in a single match?

TegSkywalker
05-02-2003, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Jordan_lorentz
Yeah halo 2 will be great much better than halflife 2 and such.:argue1:

I dunno about that considering Half-Life had one of the best single player experiences ever where Halo was recycled levels and very limited assortment of enemies.

Also, while both games are fun to play multiplayer, Half-Life edges out Halo due to the supurb variety of mods for the last 4 years.

Calling Halo 2 "much better" than Half-Life 2 is a very biased statement.

:argue1:

Casper
05-02-2003, 09:18 AM
Well, I don't see Half Life 2 as being able to get past Raven Shield or Counterstrike actually. If you've played RS on the PC yet, you'll know what I mean. It's probably UbiSoft's best game to date, and Counterstrike will give Sierra a dam good XBL game finally on the Xbox.

So I'd say this -

Halo2 > Raven Shield > CS > Half Life2 > Wolfenstein

Steve1987
05-02-2003, 09:19 AM
Why moan over which one will be best??? :huh:

Just buy both of them! :cheers:

Casper
05-02-2003, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Steve1987
Why moan over which one will be best??? :huh:

Just buy both of them! :cheers:

By all that I mentioned....and make sure you get 2 jobs, one at a real place, and one at home like me, so u can get paid to play while you work :D

Steve1987
05-02-2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by casper

one at home like me, so u can get paid to play while you work :D

Now that's a job, i could handle! :wink:

TegSkywalker
05-02-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by casper
Well, I don't see Half Life 2 as being able to get past Raven Shield or Counterstrike actually. If you've played RS on the PC yet, you'll know what I mean. It's probably UbiSoft's best game to date, and Counterstrike will give Sierra a dam good XBL game finally on the Xbox.

So I'd say this -

Halo2 > Raven Shield > CS > Half Life2 > Wolfenstein

You have got to be sh1ting me! You are saying that Counter-Strike, a mod based off of the original game, will be better than Half-Life 2?

Somebody needs their head checked.

Casper
05-02-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by TegSkywalker

You have got to be sh1ting me! You are saying that Counter-Strike, a mod based off of the original game, will be better than Half-Life 2?

Somebody needs their head checked.

Nah, my heads here, but it's also personal preference, I've seen screens (which are still way early) of HL2, and they are eh, but then again, I just saw some today that made me crap my pants, so I have to wait til I see a trailer of gameplay before I retract that comment. But I also love CS, as long as they don't find a way to ruin the game with hacks like on the PC.

And what....no comment on Raven Shield?

AloneInTheDark
05-02-2003, 01:58 PM
Can someone explain the CS thing to me? On what it is? I heard it was half life, but made by different people. It is confusing, but anyways. I am looking forward to Raven Shield, I have played it once while I was away at my cousing last weekend. Thats about it. It was a lot of fun though.

Liquid Gears
05-02-2003, 02:07 PM
Half life??

Who gives :rolleyes:

RudedogX
05-02-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Liquid Gears
Half life??

Who gives :rolleyes:
I'm guessing you don't since you don't have live...:yikes:

Diddy
05-02-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by rudedogX

I'm guessing you don't since you don't have live...:yikes:

hahahahaha

and another thread about Halo 2 in comparison to another game? I think you all have something else to talk about other than comparing games that you all have never played.

CMON NAH! SIMMA DAHN NAH

Casper
05-02-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Diddy

hahahahaha

and another thread about Halo 2 in comparison to another game? I think you all have something else to talk about other than comparing games that you all have never played.

CMON NAH! SIMMA DAHN NAH

Don't worry, I'll have a good answer live from E3 when I get to try out whatever demos I get my hands on :D

Shadow20002
05-02-2003, 04:04 PM
Both of them...all the two will be in my pocket !!! :cheers:

Snoopy7548
05-02-2003, 04:11 PM
lol you put games in your pocket?:watchout:

l Maximus l
05-02-2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Snoopy7548
lol you put games in your pocket?:watchout:

Is that a video game in his pocket or is he just a little too happy to see me? :D hehe...ewwwwww!!! :eek:

But seriously, I think Casper has a point...not just because he's my dawg and all, but, what game, honestly, has given the vast majority of XBox owners a better gaming experience other than the original Halo? Halo 2 is going to be very much like Halo and more...and will probably contain all and more of what Bungie wanted to do with the original but they'll do it better. I just simply cannot wait!

As for Raven Shield, I'm frothing at the mouth. I haven't played it on PC yet but I want to desperately. If Casper, a die hard Ghost Recon fan, claims that Raven Shield is arguably the best game ever made by Ubisoft, then, that definately gets my attention. I'm seriously excited about that, too.

Next, eventhough Counter-Strike is a mod from Half-Life, I also find it to be a better game. Half Life is a little too whack compared to the combat found in Counter Strike. The original Counter Strike was the "Halo" of a few years ago. No game has come close to touching it until Halo came about, which, in my opinion, stepped up the bar. Don't get me wrong, I love Half Life and I'm intrigued that the sequel is coming to the mighty green and black, but, I'm far more excited about Counter Strike despite it being a mod of Half Life.

Casper also mentioned Return to Castle Wolfenstein. I'll likely pick it up, but, after playing the demo, I'm not as pumped up for it. The A.I. in the demo reminded me of the latest Turok. When you shoot at them, they react, but, after a second passes by, they still stand there as if nothing happened to them...lol It's simply not as innovative when it comes to the regular Campaign portion of it, but, the multi-player with real life opponents will definately make the game much more worth while to own.

All I can say is, beware of The D.D.C. http://www.thedirtydozenclan.com/html/emoticons/2guns.gif

# 1 Stunner
05-02-2003, 04:26 PM
yeah ravenshield will be awesome...same with halo...same with rtcw...same with half life..im not sure bout counter strike,what the hell is it???

l Maximus l
05-02-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by # 1 Stunner
yeah ravenshield will be awesome...same with halo...same with rtcw...same with half life..im not sure bout counter strike,what the hell is it???

Counter Strike is a first person shooter and is the most played FPS on the PC to this day...and for a reason. It is a mod of Half Life, but, in Counter Strike, it involves terrorists and counter terrorists battling it out. This is Counter Strike:

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2003/news/04/30/conditionzero/cs_screen008.jpg

Arrakis44
05-02-2003, 04:51 PM
Im not sure that the two games are really rivals, from my perspective id just buy Halo 2 on the Box and HL 2 on the PC.

If u compare the two i imagine that they are both pretty well matched,

Halo2 (H2)- Promises an excellent single player experience
Half Life 2 (HL2) - If its half as good as the first (no pun intended) then its single player story will we great

H2 - Offers massive multiplay support on live
HL2 - Offers massive multiplay support on the net

The only thing that i would say is an advantage going in is that Halo offered some of the best cinematic sequences to date, and they were reasonable (i.e they were only there when it furthered the story, they werent thown in our faces at every turn).
In Comparison, the cut-senes in HL were all in game graphics and pretty lacking.

I just hope that sierra/valve tweak HL2 a bit more to include some nice cinematics,
lets face it cutscenes are our rewards for getting past tough challenges, so they are well worth the effort to include!

No Fear 23
05-02-2003, 09:08 PM
damn, so many good games coming out

halo 2, half-life, CS, Raven Sheild, doom 3

but my order
1)Halo2
2)halflife
3)doom 3
4)CS
5)RS

but since i never played halflife or counterstrike or doom , i may be wrong. but i know for sure that those games will be one of the bests

shrew king
05-02-2003, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Arrakis44
The only thing that i would say is an advantage going in is that Halo offered some of the best cinematic sequences to date, and they were reasonable (i.e they were only there when it furthered the story, they werent thown in our faces at every turn).
In Comparison, the cut-senes in HL were all in game graphics and pretty lacking.

I just hope that sierra/valve tweak HL2 a bit more to include some nice cinematics,
lets face it cutscenes are our rewards for getting past tough challenges, so they are well worth the effort to include!

Halo's cut-scenes were in-game. Best cut-scenes I have seen on the Xbox are probably in Oddworld.

mailman
05-02-2003, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by TegSkywalker
Since both of these games are coming to the Xbox, be Live compatable, and fall into the FPS genre, it will be a shootout to see what is the shooter up game for the Xbox in the next year or so.

I mean hmmm...

Halo - One of the most revolutionary console games ever
Half-Life - One of the most revolutionary PC games ever.

Oh what a tight competion it will be :)

ha.... ah ha... hahahahahaha

ah hem, halo2 will rule all FPS games!

Diddy
05-03-2003, 04:47 PM
yeah maybe on the consoles, newb! lol

and im with arrakis on this one, thses games arent really rivals, cant we all just be friends?

Soul Redeemer
05-04-2003, 02:36 AM
Yea man !! Hope Half-Life 2 lives up to peoples expectations ... Which is for it to be just as good as the orignal game ..

strangefate
05-04-2003, 03:20 PM
The only HalfLife 2 will compare is if it rips off some Halo-style stuff, like vehicles and the like.

Diddy
05-05-2003, 02:26 PM
u can say that, and we can also say that Halo ripped off the First Person shooter style from Half Life, and Doom and Wolf 3d.

:eek: