PDA

View Full Version : Does the Xbox HDD get fragmented?

Icecream
05-05-2003, 07:19 PM
Just wondering...

Like the PC HDD, does the xbox HDD get fragmented as you add and deleted soundtracks? Also, with the downloadable content being added and deleted to make HDD space when you sell that particular game?

If it does get fragmented, will it slow down the hard disk drive over time?:huh:

Hitman101
05-05-2003, 07:25 PM
Nope.............

RastaBlasta
05-05-2003, 07:53 PM
it does not, someone asked this questions in the official xbox magazine once.

Icecream
05-05-2003, 08:08 PM
:D THNX :D

J Dub
05-05-2003, 09:33 PM
I think the hard drive is partitioned so you have seperate places for each type of save. Saved games on one, soundtracks on another.

Saved games are done using "blocks". Some games take more blocks than others, but I think each block is always the same size. I believe a hard drive only becomes fragmented when parts of files are strewn about the hard drive, thus the hard drive has to access numerous places to open one file (slowing it down). For saved games though these are all the same size, so deleting one will leave exactly enough space for another to fill it.

The soundtrack partition, however, contains files of all different sizes. Therefore it would make sense that it would become fragmented. However I don't think it really matters as the hard drive is fast enough to access the fragments anyways so it doesn't really slow down significantly.

This is my theory. Am I correct?

RastaBlasta
05-05-2003, 10:06 PM
your theory is correct.

Or at least that is very close to what oxm said.