PDA

View Full Version : Halo NOT one of the top 20 games of all time?!?!

AlBoogy
05-06-2003, 08:14 PM
Sorry if its old but at ign they have been doing a top 100 games of all time. Check out where our beloved Halo ranks in.
http://top100.ign.com/31-40.html

I could understand if this was just one persons opinions but its of all igns staff. Far to low if you ask me.

Smokin Penguin
05-06-2003, 08:23 PM
39???? Who would put halo:combat evolved at 39??? THey put frikin wave race 64 infront of halo! Sure wave race was an ok game, but you couldn't masacre covenant! MASACRE COVENANT!!!!:mad: i want a recount. (and no i don't live in florida)

Variation-XBA
05-06-2003, 08:26 PM
Another reason I dislike ign immensly...almost as bad as gamespot it seems;)

No Fear 23
05-06-2003, 08:31 PM
i now, hate them with passion :cuss:

wbio
05-06-2003, 08:34 PM
Super Smash Brothers Melee above Halo??? Are you kidding me? And Wave Race 64, I'm not even going to pay attention to that

AlBoogy
05-06-2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by wbio
Super Smash Brothers Melee above Halo??? Are you kidding me? And Wave Race 64, I'm not even going to pay attention to that

That was my though exactly. I had N64 and wave race was fun an all but nowhere near halo kinda fun. And dont even get me started with SSBM.

MixMasta
05-06-2003, 08:47 PM
what do u guys think will be in the top 10?? i dont think mgs, splinter cell, GTA have been named, so maybe one of those, but imo, i think the starcraft will most definitely be in the top 10. also, according to their ratings, perfect dark and black & white will be in the top 10 most likely...

AlBoogy
05-06-2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by MixMasta
what do u guys think will be in the top 10?? i dont think mgs, splinter cell, GTA have been named, so maybe one of those, but imo, i think the starcraft will most definitely be in the top 10. also, according to their ratings, perfect dark and black & white will be in the top 10 most likely...

I think pac man is going to be somewhere up there. Final Fantasy 7 as well.

SiGuy
05-06-2003, 08:53 PM
Im gonna start a top 100 reasons why ign blows chart. This being in the top ten of course.

AlBoogy
05-06-2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by ~ManoWar~
Im gonna start a top 100 reasons why ign blows chart. This being in the top ten of course.

Where are the other 99?

SiGuy
05-06-2003, 08:55 PM
give me time....im sure I can find at least 99 more.

EHWfedPres
05-06-2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by AlBoogy
I could understand if this was just one persons opinions but its of all igns staff. Far to low if you ask me.

why would you care about anybody's opinion at all? everyone in the world could like a game but if I dont like it, then screw everyone in the world.

Xbox Owner
05-06-2003, 09:33 PM
meh oh well

# 1 Stunner
05-06-2003, 09:45 PM
whats # 1?

kenji
05-06-2003, 10:04 PM
Why do people even look at ign? From what I hear, it is a fake site with people that suck at judgment.

VenoM
05-06-2003, 10:22 PM
i bet zelda ocarnia of time gets 1st place or link to the past :)

AlBoogy
05-06-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by EHWfedPres

why would you care about anybody's opinion at all? everyone in the world could like a game but if I dont like it, then screw everyone in the world.

For a long time I didnt care what peoples opinions were on videogames. I bought games based on hype and what seemed would be good. Well, this is a very expensive hobby. And I cant just go out and buy every game that looks good. So I have a couple of sites that seem to have the same views as I do and trust some reviews. I realize they arent always right but it helps me not buy a crap game.

VenoM
05-06-2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by AlBoogy

For a long time I didnt care what peoples opinions were on videogames. I bought games based on hype and what seemed would be good. Well, this is a very expensive hobby. And I cant just go out and buy every game that looks good. So I have a couple of sites that seem to have the same views as I do and trust some reviews. I realize they arent always right but it helps me not buy a crap game.

true...the game that comes to mind is morrowind...so much hype for that game that i bought in to it :( and was very disappointed

LynxFX
05-06-2003, 10:53 PM
Entertainment Weekly had a top 100 games of all time in their current issue. Halo is ranked 16. Julia Roberts favorite game happens to be Halo.

Top 20:

20. Super Metroid
19. Ms. Pac-Man
18. Soul Calibur
17. Tomb Raider
16. Halo
15. Civilization II
14. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
13. Gran Turismo
12. Final Fantasy VII
11. Goldeneye 007
10. Street Fighter II
9. Starcraft/Warcraft
8. Super Mario 64
7. The Sims
6. Half-Life
5. Madden 2003
4. Grand Theft Auto III
3. Tetris
2. Doom
1. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.

Casper
05-06-2003, 11:01 PM
Well, everyone is going to disagree with something on that list, bu t I would like to point out...

Madden 2003?????????

um, honestly, if it's all time and it's a football game, then where the hell is Tecmo Bowl? That game started it all off? Good lord, now I'm reconsidering going Insider :huh:

MerimacHamwich
05-06-2003, 11:38 PM
I agree with thier not putting Halo in the top 20. The game really didn't revolutionize much. The multiplayer is actually lacking IMO. No bots. Something several games before it had on less powerful systems.

When all is said and done Halo is a good game but it isn't legendary like Goldeneye or Perfect Dark. Those games really redefined Multiplayer console gaming. One right after the other.

Dyslexic Chaos
05-07-2003, 12:03 AM
I agree merimac. If it weren't for the fact that SSBM is above halo. I understand waverace, because everything in the game was awesome FOR THAT TIME. I mean, the water is still better than at least 50% of the games out there. But smash brothers redifined nothing. Same gameplay, more character. Don't get me wrong, SSBM is awesome and I LOVE it, but it did NOTHING to revolutize the genre. It's fun, but it gets boring quick. its nice to pop it in every once in awhile when u have friends over. But HALO master BOTH Multi and Single player. I just don't get IGN sometimes. I guarentee if Halo had been on PC first, it would be in the top 10. In fact, i dont believe I've seen RTCW yet...

Dyslexic Chaos
05-07-2003, 12:06 AM
my predictions for the top 20...
Super Mario World
GTA3 and Vice City
Super Metroid
LOZ:A Link to the past
LOZ:OOT
LOZ:MM
Perfect Dark
Donkey Kong Country
Pac-Man

Reclaimer
05-07-2003, 12:49 AM
Either way, Gauntlet doesn't deserve to be ahead of Halo in the list.

Game Informer is just as bad. Someone gave me a copy and I threw it away. I've never seen so much xbox bashing in my life.

Smokin Penguin
05-07-2003, 06:32 AM
They should have waited another year for Halo 2 to come out, then well see who is number one on their list!

Casper
05-07-2003, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by Smokin Penguin
They should have waited another year for Halo 2 to come out, then well see who is number one on their list!

Total fanboy comment...sorry, but it's true. How do you know this? Hell, what about Doom and Quake....or are you to young to know those? Just because a game is going to have stellar graphics doesn't mean that the gameplay is going to be uber...have you seen any gameplay yet? No. I love Halo, but I wouldn't put it up there as the best video game ever...just because it was on the Xbox doesn't make it the best ever....IMO there are PC games that blow every Xbox game out of the special looking water that you get from Bloodwake or whatever you might think has the best water. Not to vent, but hell man, there was way more out there before the Halo came out, and there still will be.

Waterspout
05-07-2003, 08:20 AM
Its not like they (IGN that is) have the final word. If you ask a handful of other people with vast gaming knowledge they may put Halo in the top 5. It is similiar to those NFL season preview magazines. Each one is usually different. One mag will have Miami as the best in AFC East, the other will have the Pats as the best and another will have the Jets. One must decide for themselves. I would put Halo in the top 10, probably top 5.

xboxman_1
05-07-2003, 08:55 AM
Total fanboy comment...sorry, but it's true. How do you know this? Hell, what about Doom and Quake....or are you to young to know those? Just because a game is going to have stellar graphics doesn't mean that the gameplay is going to be uber...have you seen any gameplay yet? No. I love Halo, but I wouldn't put it up there as the best video game ever...just because it was on the Xbox doesn't make it the best ever....IMO there are PC games that blow every Xbox game out of the special looking water that you get from Bloodwake or whatever you might think has the best water. Not to vent, but hell man, there was way more out there before the Halo came out, and there still will be.

What the hell is your problem? What game has better water that came out at the same time or before Bloodwake? Halo is an incredible game, its definitely top 5. The only games I can say I MIGHT have played more are starcraft, perfect dark....that might be it.

RudedogX
05-07-2003, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by xboxman_1

What game has better water that came out at the same time or before Bloodwake? .
Wreckless.:huh:

Casper
05-07-2003, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by xboxman_1

What the hell is your problem? What game has better water that came out at the same time or before Bloodwake? Halo is an incredible game, its definitely top 5. The only games I can say I MIGHT have played more are starcraft, perfect dark....that might be it.

Who said I had a problem? Maybe you do because you seem to think that was an attack or something. Regardless, just because a game has speactacular water, it sucked the big one in the playability dept., using the key words here in my opinion But let me ask, how old are you and how long have you been playing PC games or Dreamcast? Just wondering, because if it's just those 3 that beat it, there's alot that your missing...IN MY OPINION[/disclaimer]

This is why the list is going to draw attention no matter what, because it's IGN's view on things...so go ahead, try to flame me or whatever you want, I have nothing to do at work today, so I'm up for a debate with a 16 yr. old that found out about video games when PS2 came out :D

[i]Originally posted by rudedogX

Wreckless.:huh:

Good point. See? It all depends on what you think looks nice. Hell, I even think the water in DOA3 looks amazing at time :watchout:

RudedogX
05-07-2003, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by casper

a 16 yr. old
Did you check his profile, b/c you're damn close!:watchout:

Crazy Joe
05-07-2003, 10:51 AM
there is another top 100 list compiled by G4 and Entertainment Weekly. this article only lists the top 5, those being:

1. Zelda series
2. Doom
3. Tetris
4. GTA3/Vice City
5. Madden NFL 2003

http://www.msnbc.com/news/908552.asp

can't find the rest of the list, it's in the new entertainment weekly apparently

Waterspout
05-07-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Gortholomew
there is another top 100 list compiled by G4 and Entertainment Weekly. this article only lists the top 5, those being:

1. Zelda series
2. Doom
3. Tetris
4. GTA3/Vice City
5. Madden NFL 2003

can't find the rest of the list, it's in the new entertainment weekly apparently

That says it all....don't trust it because it is from some group or organization. Halo should be above GTA3 and Madden. I can see why they ranked Tetris up there. It was a very addictive game that got people to play video games for 5 hours a night to see if they can break their current score. You can make a case for Zelda and Doom as well. But the bottom 2 need to go.

aj142
05-07-2003, 11:40 AM
I'm glad to see that Halo is on the list, but I don't understand how some of the games they picked got listed before it.

LynxFX
05-07-2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Gortholomew

1. Zelda series
2. Doom
3. Tetris
4. GTA3/Vice City
5. Madden NFL 2003

I posted the top 20 from that list a few posts up. :)

Crazy Joe
05-07-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx-XBA

I posted the top 20 from that list a few posts up. :)

yes, yes you did, sorry 'bout that. good job.

dances with broom sticks
05-07-2003, 01:14 PM
Only one i dont understand is Madden 2003... How does THAT make a even top 100 of all time list!? What did it revolutionize? it had SLIGHTLY better game play and graphics than the one a year earlier.... I would say that games like doom and such should be much high on the list than halo, Just because halo was fun and good lookin doesnt make it one of the best games of all time. I think in order to call something on of the best games of all time you need to judge it based on the year. Dont compare graphics of super mario bros. with doom 3, it just isnt right....

LTM360
05-07-2003, 01:27 PM
39???? Who would put halo:combat evolved at 39??? THey put frikin wave race 64 infront of halo! Sure wave race was an ok game, but you couldn't masacre covenant! MASACRE COVENANT!!!!:mad: i want a recount. (and no i don't live in florida)

Halo isn't in my top 20 games of all time either, but Wave Race 64 certainly isn't higher than Halo. If you want my top 20 fine, but Halo nor Wave Race 64 is in it.

JackTheStripper
05-07-2003, 01:55 PM
WHAT?!?!?!?!??!??!?!? no minesweeper?????

Shadow20002
05-07-2003, 02:17 PM
Hey if anyone want to check something about the word "top" title, check here: www.gamerankings.com :p

bretman1234
05-07-2003, 02:24 PM
i agree with jackthestripper. did anyone remember to think about the games that come with all computers? WHAT ABOUT SOLITAIRE!!!!!!!!!!!

Wolf
05-07-2003, 03:03 PM
Sure wave race was an ok game
I didnt like that game that much. yeah i guess it was ok though. they should have had a poll or a survey among the gaming community. sorry if this has been said i haven't read the whole thread.

Master Gracey
05-07-2003, 03:08 PM
I wonder...

If Splinter Cell makes the list, what console will they list first in the description? :watchout:

Kraft
05-07-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Master Gracey
I wonder...

If Splinter Cell makes the list, what console will they list first in the description? :watchout:

They'd probably list it as 'various'. I find it funny that Super Mario World 2 beat out Halo, even though Super Mario World 2 really wasn't much different than Super Mario World.

EHWfedPres
05-07-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Kraft-XBA

They'd probably list it as 'various'. I find it funny that Super Mario World 2 beat out Halo, even though Super Mario World 2 really wasn't much different than Super Mario World.

the only mario game i ever liked was super mario land 2 six golden coins...but that wasnt even that great.

Dark Enemy
05-07-2003, 04:16 PM
I cant believe madden 96 got better than HALO wtf

l Maximus l
05-07-2003, 05:05 PM
IGN has a right to their opinion just as anyone here does as well. In my opinion, I think Halo is the best game every made, hands down. Never have I had so much damn fun with a single game for so long. I got Halo on launch day and I've played nearly every other day since then. In fact, I'm going to play it here in a moment. :D

A lot of people judge Halo based on its Campaign mode. While it is cool, there is only so much of that mode you can play. With that in mind, the multi-player aspect of the game in ingenious. I attend 16 man Halofests every other weekend. And, I believe that a person cannot accurately judge a game unless they have utilized a game to its fullest. Until you get 16 dudes playing Halo at one time and have tried nearly every combination of multi-player rules, or atleast explore it...then, it's not possible for a person to rank Halo.

I know I've done just about everything you can possibly do with Halo and I've enjoyed every moment of it. And, I believe it will EASILY hold me over until Halo 2 comes out.

Master Gracey
05-07-2003, 06:34 PM
PIRATES MADE THE LIST!!!! :D

The updated version, Pirates Gold (which was a slightly improved version with better graphics) is my fav game of all time. Though I'm disappointed that the boring Prince Of Persia scored higher, I'm happy to see that the list is bringing in games that have always had more of a cult following than a popular one.

The original Prince Of Persia may have been boring, but I'm rather stoked to see what Ubisoft does with the sequel, which is coming to Xbox.

Nameless00
05-07-2003, 06:58 PM
I can't believe people are actually mad about something this stupid.

TheStall
05-07-2003, 08:23 PM
If that is true, that is utterly absurd. Halo is king of the king of systems.

Smokin Penguin
05-07-2003, 09:11 PM
hey casper, i know i exaggerated a little bit on the halo 2 being the 1 game because there will be epic games that were made 5 years ago. Im saying that it could be #1 looking at the screen shots of how great the lighting is in everything and how the ai is going to be kicka$$.

Casper
05-08-2003, 11:00 AM
hey casper, i know i exaggerated a little bit on the halo 2 being the 1 game because there will be epic games that were made 5 years ago. Im saying that it could be #1 looking at the screen shots of how great the lighting is in everything and how the ai is going to be kicka$$.

True, but I also look at it like this. Hell, someone just mentioned it earlier and noone picked up on it. Minesweeper and Solitare are probably the most played video games in the world and where are they? It all depends on points of view. But hey, what happens if what Bungie is throwing you a bunch of poo (not like they would) but the AI is only as great as a human can make it, so it still has limitations...that's why games online are better than any AI imaginable, because people make mistakes, unlikes AI's that go in a repetitious pattern.

AlBoogy
05-08-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by casper

True, but I also look at it like this. Hell, someone just mentioned it earlier and noone picked up on it. Minesweeper and Solitare are probably the most played video games in the world and where are they? It all depends on points of view. But hey, what happens if what Bungie is throwing you a bunch of poo (not like they would) but the AI is only as great as a human can make it, so it still has limitations...that's why games online are better than any AI imaginable, because people make mistakes, unlikes AI's that go in a repetitious pattern.

Thats what I think MADE Halo. Its A.I. I cant remember ever playing a game with such incredible A.I. and I still think there is room for improvement,,bring in, Halo 2!

prakeem
05-09-2003, 01:51 AM
Halo? It was a good game but definatly not the best. With it's lack of weapon and enemy diversity, I would have placed in around the same ranking. Let's see what Halo 2 has to offer since it's been the talk of the "video game world" for the past few months...

xboxman_1
05-09-2003, 08:33 AM
Who said I had a problem? Maybe you do because you seem to think that was an attack or something. Regardless, just because a game has speactacular water, it sucked the big one in the playability dept., using the key words here in my opinion But let me ask, how old are you and how long have you been playing PC games or Dreamcast? Just wondering, because if it's just those 3 that beat it, there's alot that your missing...[insert disclaimer here]IN MY OPINION[/disclaimer]

What three are you talking about? Bloodwake sucks, but it has good water. And I said I played MORE Perfect Dark and Starcraft that I have Halo; I didnt say those were the only games better than it.

This is why the list is going to draw attention no matter what, because it's IGN's view on things...so go ahead, try to flame me or whatever you want, I have nothing to do at work today, so I'm up for a debate with a 16 yr. old that found out about video games when PS2 came out

I wasnt trying to flame. And I believe that last statement is a flame - that I found about about games since the PS2. Whatever, I've played games since SNES, which is as old as I could go for being 16.....needless to say I didnt play ALL of the classics that came out, but I still had an SNES and an NES. (Only played Excitebike on NES, and some TMNT game...)

Good point. See? It all depends on what you think looks nice. Hell, I even think the water in DOA3 looks amazing at time

Okay, back to your previous point; what if I thought those 2 games were the ONLY ones better than Halo? Wouldnt that be my opinion? Jeez, practice what you ****ing preach.

josephjoejoe
05-09-2003, 09:26 AM
Some of you have hit this on the head. The only rating for a game that should count is how YOU rate it. I've played and enjoyed many games that seem to get a low rating at these so called "editors picks" sites, sometimes I've even wondered if they have even played the game long enough to get a good feel for the game.
As far as buying games I've learned the hard way not to get caught up on the hype or reviews by others. Best advice is try before you buy - rent it or borrow it from a friend - but at $40 to $50 bucks a pop for a new game trust no one but yourself on the decision to buy.
I'll be honest with the cost of renting games around $5 to $6 for a week and the ability to save on the x-box hard drive my game purchases have dropped. Come to think of it, its a little disappointing on how short or easy (SOME) games are getting that you can beat them in a week.:watchout:

natewebb
05-09-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by josephjoejoe
Some of you have hit this on the head. The only rating for a game that should count is how YOU rate it. I've played and enjoyed many games that seem to get a low rating at these so called "editors picks" sites, sometimes I've even wondered if they have even played the game long enough to get a good feel for the game.
As far as buying games I've learned the hard way not to get caught up on the hype or reviews by others. Best advice is try before you buy - rent it or borrow it from a friend - but at $40 to $50 bucks a pop for a new game trust no one but yourself on the decision to buy.
I'll be honest with the cost of renting games around $5 to $6 for a week and the ability to save on the x-box hard drive my game purchases have dropped. Come to think of it, its a little disappointing on how short or easy (SOME) games are getting that you can beat them in a week.:watchout:

You think that's bad. I get all the free rentals I want from my brother in law. Any system. I've played every game (and saved them). When you take out the money issue you get a new perspective. You find out what games you really like. I happen to like desert storm for some reason. I cant wait for Brute force. I'm going to buy that one.

AlBoogy
05-09-2003, 08:08 PM
Its official, Super Mario Bros. is #1. As a matter of fact the top 6 were all Nintendo products.