PDA

View Full Version : Infogrames changes name to Atari

Brevity
05-07-2003, 07:38 AM
gamespydaily.com
French publisher gets new identity, dropping 20-year-old name.
Wednesday May 7, 2003 | Aramo

The new corporate layout.
French publisher Infogrames has changed its name to Atari, dropping the Infogrames brand that it has been borne since the company was founded in 1983. The France-based parent company will continue to be known as Infogrames Entertainment SA since the process for changing the company's name will take longer there.

"What we have decided to do, following a very precise strategy, effectively is to adopt this brand Atari," Atari CEO Bruno Bonnell told Reuters. "Clearly we feel like it is the symbol of the global company that we became during the last two years."

Infogrames acquired the Atari trademark in early 2001 when it took over Hasbro Interactive. The brand was relaunched in October 2001 as a games publishing label.

Bonnell emphasized 65 percent of Atari's key business is now done in the U.S., rather than in its native country France. The company cut 60 percent of its French workforce last year, coping with serious financial problems. With the upcoming Enter the Matrix game, however, Atari has experienced an over 130 percent rise of its shares on the NASDAQ since announcing development on the title had been completed on April 18.

VAN
05-07-2003, 07:54 AM
Well they definitely needed a new name, IMO, but I dunno if Atari is the name I woulda chosen. Granted, the Atari name is known the world over, but mere mention of it evokes feelings of nostalgia, not feelings of cutting edge gaming technology.

No matter what, I will always see the 2600 console in my mind when I hear the name Atari, and I'm sure that is NOT what the company wants.

Brevity
05-07-2003, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by VAN
Well they definitely needed a new name, IMO, but I dunno if Atari is the name I woulda chosen. Granted, the Atari name is known the world over, but mere mention of it evokes feelings of nostalgia, not feelings of cutting edge gaming technology.

No matter what, I will always see the 2600 console in my mind when I hear the name Atari, and I'm sure that is NOT what the company wants.
I agree about the ATARI part but I think they could keep there old name. I think this is silly and does not reflect a true change or redirection. I guess that maybe I dont fully understand.

aj142
05-07-2003, 11:36 AM
Yeah, me neither. Did Infogrames buy Atari? Or is it the other way around? Is it the same Atari that came out with the home systems all those years ago? What the heck ~

RudedogX
05-07-2003, 12:17 PM
That's something I'd like to know...how the hell do they even have the rights to the name?:huh:

dances with broom sticks
05-07-2003, 01:07 PM
Didnt it say that they bought hasbro which owned atari, making them the owners of atari? Wouldnt that give them the rights to the name?

Dyslexic Chaos
05-07-2003, 01:12 PM
Yes, infogrames bought atari. They bought Atari and made them a mere developement studio. But i wouldn't change the name to Atari again. I would go in the opposite direction. Maybe I'd name it Irata. Sound good and almost witty... almost.

dances with broom sticks
05-07-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Jerred B
Yes, infogrames bought atari. They bought Atari and made them a mere developement studio. But i wouldn't change the name to Atari again. I would go in the opposite direction. Maybe I'd name it Irata. Sound good and almost witty... almost.

That reminds me of SEGA, and how they used to make those kids electronics and call them AGES....

orson19335
05-07-2003, 02:45 PM
Infogrames bought Hasbro Interactive which owned the rights to Atari. Therefor Infogrames now owns the rights to Atari. I think it is a smart move on their part to change the name to Atari. That is instant name recognition the world over. I know it may inspire some nostalgia but just think of the new slogan they could use>

"This isn't your Dad's Atari!!"

RudedogX
05-07-2003, 02:48 PM
It's true that name recognition gets your product further, but still...I'm not sure I can really accept them as Atari.:eek:

BigJosh359
05-07-2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Brevity
gamespydaily.com
French publisher gets new identity, dropping 20-year-old name.
Wednesday May 7, 2003 | Aramo

The new corporate layout.
French publisher Infogrames has changed its name to Atari, dropping the Infogrames brand that it has been borne since the company was founded in 1983. The France-based parent company will continue to be known as Infogrames Entertainment SA since the process for changing the company's name will take longer there.

"What we have decided to do, following a very precise strategy, effectively is to adopt this brand Atari," Atari CEO Bruno Bonnell told Reuters. "Clearly we feel like it is the symbol of the global company that we became during the last two years."

Infogrames acquired the Atari trademark in early 2001 when it took over Hasbro Interactive. The brand was relaunched in October 2001 as a games publishing label.

Bonnell emphasized 65 percent of Atari's key business is now done in the U.S., rather than in its native country France. The company cut 60 percent of its French workforce last year, coping with serious financial problems. With the upcoming Enter the Matrix game, however, Atari has experienced an over 130 percent rise of its shares on the NASDAQ since announcing development on the title had been completed on April 18.

Does anybody ever read the news on the frontpage of XBA? (http://www.xboxaddict.com/news/view.php?News_ID=3334)

Kraft
05-07-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Josh-XBA

Does anybody ever read the news on the frontpage of XBA? (http://www.xboxaddict.com/news/view.php?News_ID=3334)

Actually, I think this was up a bit before the front page news. Our members are really good at catching stories, and fast.

BigJosh359
05-07-2003, 03:15 PM
I made a comment on this news post at 4 AM this morning. Stupid forums times! PROVED ME WRONG AGAIN! DANG THEM!!!

Dyslexic Chaos
05-07-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Josh-XBA
I made a comment on this news post at 4 AM this morning. Stupid forums times! PROVED ME WRONG AGAIN! DANG THEM!!!

yeah, i think the forum times are pretty screwed up...