PDA

View Full Version : Sell me on Max Payne

l Maximus l
12-05-2001, 11:42 AM
Is this game any good? The graphics are, without a doubt, impressive, in my opinion. I realize that no one has this game for XBox, but, it is on the PC. I'm not too concerned about the controller movements as I don't think that Microsoft would screw this up. What I am questioning, however, is the movement of the character. I mean, how does the camera angle work on this game?

Also, what makes this game a "must buy" in your opinions?

Ninja Scroll
12-05-2001, 11:48 AM
MAX WHO?........... Oh,.. Max Payne,.. um.. er.. never heard of it. lol! :)

l Maximus l
12-05-2001, 12:41 PM
Any info, dudes?

darianX
12-05-2001, 01:26 PM
Max Payne is a tremendous game on the PC. I can't see it being any different on the xbox. Graphics aside, the controls were very simple on the pc and from what I've read they are simple on the pad too. The game is 3rd person, the camera follows max from above slightly and works very well. No annoying "wall looks" if ya know what I mean. The view gets really cool when bullet time is activated...you'll see Max jumping sideways from a lower angle..like you would see in a movie. You have real time control of your aiming recticle so you can aim and shoot at multiple baddies within those few seconds. I can imagine that the character control scheme will be like Halo...left stick for front/back...right for looking/aiming...trigger for shooting, etc.

The only thing I'm wondering about is whether it will be worth it for me to buy since I already have it on the PC. Extra/different levels would make it worth my consideration.

l Maximus l
12-05-2001, 03:04 PM
DarianX...good info, dude...so, there is a pop up screen that shows up when he does some cool move? That's kinda interesting...

I'm also a little curious about the screenshots of the game. I have seen a few video clips...but, is that actually how the game is, as if you can move the camera around (kind of like Azurik if you have played it)?

I understand that it is coming out pretty soon so I have been keeping my eye on it. The graphics look great...and I like shooter games...I'm just hoping it is as good as it looks. I've never played it before on the PC...so, it's kind of hard to tell.

If you already have this game on the PC, I would hold off buying it unless you hear of some reviews that indicate that there are additional levels, DarianX. I would buy a different new game :)

1337h4x
12-05-2001, 03:30 PM
The camerta is always behind Max Payne, just when u do bullet time he jumps to the side, the easiest way to kill anyone, I warezed it (bad me) and it sucked, I hated it way too easy but it has a ****load of levels.

jeah
12-05-2001, 03:38 PM
Just so you know, I'm really bad about not playing games all the way through on the pc. I borrowed Max Payne from a roommate and I was immediately hooked. It was a lot of fun and the bullet-time modes are extremely sweet and entertaining. I ended up playing this game all the way to the end and had a blast doing it.

Now the things I don't like. It didn't take long to beat the game. (I can't remember if there were difficulty levels, but if so, I probably had it on the easy one so keep that in mind.) After beating it a new play mode was enabled that didn't add to the game in my opinion. It just put a time limit on the levels so you had to beat them more quickly (i don't want to run really fast and not kill people). Basically I felt there was little replay value and that's why I won't get it for xbox unless I hear of some special features that can somehow change my mind.

l Maximus l
12-05-2001, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by jeah
Just so you know, I'm really bad about not playing games all the way through on the pc. I borrowed Max Payne from a roommate and I was immediately hooked. It was a lot of fun and the bullet-time modes are extremely sweet and entertaining. I ended up playing this game all the way to the end and had a blast doing it.

Now the things I don't like. It didn't take long to beat the game. (I can't remember if there were difficulty levels, but if so, I probably had it on the easy one so keep that in mind.) After beating it a new play mode was enabled that didn't add to the game in my opinion. It just put a time limit on the levels so you had to beat them more quickly (i don't want to run really fast and not kill people). Basically I felt there was little replay value and that's why I won't get it for xbox unless I hear of some special features that can somehow change my mind.

Jeah, wow dude...thanks for the info. Like many shooters, it seems to me that the replay value usually isn't there anyway. But, it would be cool if there is a difficulty setting. This game looks so cool...so, I am pretty pumped up that it is coming out on December 11th. It won't be until another month after that until I want my next game: Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. Man, that game is going to be amazing!

Frostberg
12-05-2001, 07:48 PM
Maximus, im with you on waiting for Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. I wouldnt recomment buying Max Payne for the Xbox. The PC game was fun, but it kind of had a bad ending...but then again it did leave open for a sequel (ahem, halo) I would prolly advise you rent it, because really I dont think you could get $50 worth of it. Wait for other games instead that were made with the Xbox in mind. I just dont think a port of Max Payne will offer anything spectacular. Bullet Time is a nice innovation and is prolly the main reason people even bought Max Payne anyway, but still I dont think its worth the money, at least not compared to other Xbox games that are coming out...and theres a bunch!

darianX
12-06-2001, 12:56 PM
Yep, I haveta agree...Medal of Honor is going to be a great game. Anyone seen any release dates for it yet? I know its coming real soon for the PC, but I think I'll wait for the xbox version instead :cool:

Rancey
12-06-2001, 01:04 PM
At least the Xbox version of Max Payne will have multiplayer.

l Maximus l
12-06-2001, 01:42 PM
In regards to Max Payne...I only hear really good things about it, or really bad things. I have never played the game before, so, that's why I am here asking you dudes....my XBoxAddict.com buddies :D

It seems to me that I shouldn't fork over $50 and risk not liking it. I think I will rent it first.

About Medal of Honor: Allied Assault...XBoxAddict.com tells us that it will be released next month (January 2002). I think that I will hold off buying a game so I can purchase this bad boy next. I am confident that I won't need to try before I buy Medal of Honor...I have seen enough streaming video clips of this game to know that this is my type of 3D shooter :D Being able to Snipe out the bad guys with your Sniper Rifle gets me pumped! Also, you can jump in tanks and start blasting away as well....the graphics look stunning and the game play appears to be excellent.

If you get a chance, check out the official site. You can find the official site by simply locating the game on this website and it will open a new window for ya! And check out the video streams!!!

LynxFX
12-06-2001, 03:50 PM
I think this game has one of the most engaging stories. The story sequences are excellent and the voice acting is the best of any game I have ever seen. Then there is the game play. The only reason I downloaded Max Payne in the first place. Time for me to pay for it. :)

There are games that say that it is like a movie and you are just acting out the story but I've only seen one game deliver on that promise and that was/is Max Payne. The camera angles, the lighting the cut scenes, the sounds, every about this game is awesome. The whole dream sequences in the game are also very unique and very trippy. You live out his nightmare.

Then there is bullet time. The showcase of the game. It isn't just a ploy to get you to play. It is actually very functional and again brings in that movie aspect. The sound of your heart beating when you are in it is also very ingaging. Can't wait to play this game in DD5.1.

The game is pretty long and replay value is probably less than most games but it should at least be as high as Halo. Play on the hardest skill level and then try and outsmart the badguys. This should make it bit more challenging and more replay value.

I guess if you really have doubt then rent it but I'll definately be picking this one up. I think it will be a great demo peice for the xbox as well. All graphics and effects set to high for this one. mmmmmm

l Maximus l
12-06-2001, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx
I think this game has one of the most engaging stories. The story sequences are excellent and the voice acting is the best of any game I have ever seen. Then there is the game play. The only reason I downloaded Max Payne in the first place. Time for me to pay for it. :)

There are games that say that it is like a movie and you are just acting out the story but I've only seen one game deliver on that promise and that was/is Max Payne. The camera angles, the lighting the cut scenes, the sounds, every about this game is awesome. The whole dream sequences in the game are also very unique and very trippy. You live out his nightmare.

Then there is bullet time. The showcase of the game. It isn't just a ploy to get you to play. It is actually very functional and again brings in that movie aspect. The sound of your heart beating when you are in it is also very ingaging. Can't wait to play this game in DD5.1.

The game is pretty long and replay value is probably less than most games but it should at least be as high as Halo. Play on the hardest skill level and then try and outsmart the badguys. This should make it bit more challenging and more replay value.

I guess if you really have doubt then rent it but I'll definately be picking this one up. I think it will be a great demo peice for the xbox as well. All graphics and effects set to high for this one. mmmmmm

Dude, nice post! Man, by the things you were stating here really gets me pumped up about this game! It's coming out very soon...5 days to be exact..on Dec 11th. This could be a good Christmas gift :D

LynxFX
12-06-2001, 08:12 PM
It is very immersive. My sudgestion is to play this in the dark with no one around and crank the Dolby. I bet you jump out of your seat half a dozen times the first time you play it. :D

I do wish they added or changed stuff for the xbox release. It sounds like they didn't but I'll still buy it.

l Maximus l
12-07-2001, 02:14 PM
It sounds like it would be worth a shot...I think I will lay down $50 on this one...It just looks and sounds too cool to pass up :) Thanks, Lynxfx

studepaber
12-10-2001, 12:39 PM
Does anyone know if this will be available for the Xbox version, co-op and deathmatch? 2 or 4 players? *crossing fingaz*

LynxFX
12-10-2001, 03:32 PM
I believe it is just single player with no added levels. Of course I'll find out tomorrow. :D

l Maximus l
12-11-2001, 12:57 PM
I understand that it actually does have multi-player. Jason-XBA confirmed it...it seems to me that Jason would know :D

Well, it's out today and I think I will buy it. I doubt that I will be disappointed...I understand that it is not a port of the PS2, but rather, a port from the PC with added multi-player stuff...I love that! The PC version, as I understand, kicks the crap out of the PS2 version. Gamespot gave it a 9.2...if you ask me, any game that gets a 9 or better is probably worth buying :D

l Maximus l
12-11-2001, 01:07 PM
D a m n, fellas...I keep going back and forth about Max Payne! When I start thinking about games like Brute Force, Medal of Honor: Allied Assult, Unreal Championship, Project Ego, GTA3, Medal Gear Solid X, etc...it just makes me feel that Max Payne can't compare! Help me out, dudes!

Frostberg
12-11-2001, 02:31 PM
When you named the games you mentioned..Max Payne isint worth it. Just rent it and see how it goes. I would bet that if you had any 1 of the games you mentioned...you wouldnt be playing MAx Payne.

LynxFX
12-11-2001, 03:57 PM
Just remember how long it is going to be until you get those other games.

BTW, Max Payne doesn't have multiplayer, that was just a rumor that turned out false. Check out Gamespots review. It is basically the exact as the PC with some minor changes.

Maximus, if you decide not to get it then definately go and rent it. Everyone should experience the Payne at least once. :D

l Maximus l
12-11-2001, 05:14 PM
Hey, dudes...I genuinly appreciate the help. I will definately rent Max Payne, that's for sure...If I like it enough to buy it, then I will. I have the money...that's not the issue...but, 50 bones is 50 bones, know what I mean?

If Max Payne is not comparible to the likings of Unreal Championship, Brute Force, Medal of Honor, Battlefield 1942, GTA3, Medal Gear Solid X, Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, Hunter: The Reckoning, Project Ego, Shenmue 2, or Return to Castle Wolfenstein, then, I won't buy it. I only want solid games like the ones I mentioned. Know what I mean, gentlemen?

Frostberg
12-11-2001, 05:37 PM
I hear ya Maximus! I dont think that Max Payne is with those other games. It is a good game, but my hopes for other games are much better than that. Looking at the Linup Q1 2002 & beyone, I just dont see buying Max Payne, for $50. The main reason is, well if I can get it used at an EB or on ebay or something for $20 or less, there is no reason to pay the kind of money you are paying for say MoH:AA and getting a whole lot more. It has a good story and wonderful innovations, but for the price...you should get a lot more. I think it will just be good to tide you over...maybe you should buy it for the PC? I was lucky because I knew a friend that had it so I could try it a little, and it was like a one night stand as far as im concerned...But your tastes might be different than mine, so I would still want you to rent it.

l Maximus l
12-11-2001, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Frostberg
I hear ya Maximus! I dont think that Max Payne is with those other games. It is a good game, but my hopes for other games are much better than that. Looking at the Linup Q1 2002 & beyone, I just dont see buying Max Payne, for $50. The main reason is, well if I can get it used at an EB or on ebay or something for $20 or less, there is no reason to pay the kind of money you are paying for say MoH:AA and getting a whole lot more. It has a good story and wonderful innovations, but for the price...you should get a lot more. I think it will just be good to tide you over...maybe you should buy it for the PC? I was lucky because I knew a friend that had it so I could try it a little, and it was like a one night stand as far as im concerned...But your tastes might be different than mine, so I would still want you to rent it.

Dude, it sounds like you have similar taste in games...I think you may be right. I figure, the fact that I have to question this game already throws up a few red flags. But, it definately looks rent worthy...I heard that the game is not as long as it could be...but, during the time you are playing, it is just plain fun! So, this type of profile says "rent it!!!" all over it. Great game to rent, hands down...but, not a full bore purchase. Man, I feel so much better now :D

Frostberg
12-11-2001, 06:23 PM
oh yeah, Max Payne is definently worth a look at...but now I get to play the waiting game for MoH:AA being it will/should be my full time game...the normandy invasion screenshots get me every time!

l Maximus l
12-11-2001, 06:38 PM
I hear ya, Frostberg...these screenshots alone get me pumped up about Medal of Honor:

I love this Sniper gun shot:
http://www.xboxaddict.com/screenshots/images/1534.jpg

This is a great kick ass shot :D
http://www.xboxaddict.com/screenshots/images/1328.jpg

Frostberg
12-12-2001, 02:22 PM
Hey maximus, to make the wait easier...or will it make it harder...anyway the demo for MoH:AA will come out for the PC this friday...nice to get a sneak peak of this masterpiece heres the link (http://www.gamespyarcade.com/features/mohaa_demo.shtml)