PDA

View Full Version : external case modification

corrupt
05-08-2003, 01:49 AM
Hey does anyone know if its possible to make the following case for the xbox:

# - unit
2 - neon lights
1 - transparent case

I wanna make it so that you can see through the case but it also glows green in the dark via the neon lights.

sounds cool but i don't know if its possible or if i can just pay someone to do it. any help would be appreciated, thanks.

echohype
05-08-2003, 01:53 AM
Yes anything is possible. As for how to power the lights, I'm not sure.

I'm very interested in this too :)

MerimacHamwich
05-08-2003, 01:54 AM
Illegal, yes. Possible, very.

Reclaimer
05-08-2003, 03:10 AM
Not illegal, but it'll void your warranty the second you open the case.

I read an arcticle, but I can't find the link.

You have to open the case, and everything has to come out.
The HDD, the DVDROM, the mobo, including daughterboard, just to expose the powersupply. It looked like quite an undertaking. But none as much as taking a dremel and cutting out the jewel from the top of the case and polishing out the bottom. Then you have to solder the L.E.D.s together in a circuit, mount the L.E.D. circuit to the underside of the top case, in a semi cirlcle around the hole where the jewel once was, and run the wire to the PSU, and solder it in to a particular jumper. Replace the jewel, Put the whole thing back together and you're done.
Sounds easy, right?

Transparent cases? I don't know anything about that, but I'm about to take spray paint after my Xbox, one of these days.
Silver or red. Or silver with red flames....

carlbme
05-08-2003, 07:00 AM
If you want to create a new transparent case it is possible and usually fairly easy. As far as powering neons (i'm guessing cold cathode tubes) the power supply of the xbox MIGHT be powerful enough to run a couple of them.

However, to be on the safe side if it were me i'd just pick me up a second low rated power supply out of an old pc. That way you don't have to worry if the components of the xbox are getting enough power and putting the extra strain on the current power supply.

ARONO129
05-08-2003, 12:34 PM
IMO if you want to change the look of your Xbox just order an Xbox skin or two. I'm considering it.

Casper
05-08-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich

How is it illegal? :huh:

Hitman101
05-08-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by casper

How is it illegal? :huh:

Yeah how its it illegal ??

RudedogX
05-08-2003, 01:02 PM
Cause Merrimac is all knowing?:watchout:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ShannonX
05-08-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich

not illegal, but its strongly suggested you dont do it. You may accidently fry a circuit or board and have no recourse but to buy a brand new xbox. Now if money is no object, go for it, it would be awesome!!

MerimacHamwich
05-08-2003, 03:54 PM
I meant that it will void your warranty. I didn't mean illegal.

echohype
05-08-2003, 05:11 PM
I'm thinking about getting the brushed aluminum skin.

But I do like this idea :)

FiftyCent
05-08-2003, 05:45 PM
their is wesite shows you to add lites to your controller and xbox too and case is tweakable i forgot wts it called but i wana do it too

echohype
05-08-2003, 05:49 PM
that website you speak of it http://xbox-scene.com/tutorials.php

have fun

BTW, my sisters b/f who lives here did that controller light mod, and it looks cool, as well as many others on there.

echohype
05-08-2003, 05:56 PM
In addition to my previous post:

Here's a website/company which does the mods you want for you, for a price of course.

http://www.system-mods.com/main.html

enjoy!

carlbme
05-08-2003, 07:27 PM
I'd much rather do my own (if i were to do one up) than to go with a pre modded one. The paint jobs that they show on that website pretty much all suck.

Yankeez
05-08-2003, 08:07 PM
thats not good

not_quite_crazy
05-08-2003, 11:52 PM
does any one know if there is any where in melbiurne where you can get your xbox case modded