PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best console FPS of all time?

chunk83
05-09-2003, 11:47 AM
Im having a hard time deciding this for myself. There are three that are in question for me. These are of course, Halo, Goldeneye, and Perfect Dark. They all have their own strong points, tis why I cant decide. Maybe I shall have to wait until Halo 2 arrives, or maybe Perfect Dark Zero, or Game Zero, to finally make my decision.

Duke
05-09-2003, 12:03 PM
I'd have to go w/ Goldeneye. Without that one, I might never have picked up an FPS. Didn't really like 'em much. Now they are the majority of games that I play.

Actually had pretty much given up on gaming until I played that one.

chunk83
05-09-2003, 12:17 PM
I think Im one of the few people around that like console FPS more than PC fps.

VAN
05-09-2003, 12:22 PM
I would put Metroid Prime right up there with the best of 'em.

chunk83
05-09-2003, 12:27 PM
I love metroid prime, but I would classify it as more of a FPSA.....a first person shooter adventure. FPS in my mind have to have good multiplayer.

Dyslexic Chaos
05-09-2003, 12:54 PM
I have a 6 way tie!!!!

each best in its catergory..

Best FPS for it's time, revolutionized FPS's:
Goldeneye/Half-Life

Best Action Single Player
Halo

Best Adventure Single Player
Metroid Prime

Best Online
RTCW/Ghost Recon

chunk83
05-09-2003, 12:59 PM
Is RTCW out for the box yet?

chunk83
05-09-2003, 04:47 PM
I guess it is, because its @ my local blockbuster.

bretman1234
05-09-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by chunk83
Im having a hard time deciding this for myself. There are three that are in question for me. These are of course, Halo, Goldeneye, and Perfect Dark. They all have their own strong points, tis why I cant decide. Maybe I shall have to wait until Halo 2 arrives, or maybe Perfect Dark Zero, or Game Zero, to finally make my decision.

I hate to say this, but does it really matter? I mean is it like for a school report or something? lol but seriously is this like a do or die thing?

chunk83
05-09-2003, 05:06 PM
I am just trying to see what others think about what the greatest console FPS of all time is. It isnt a pressing matter, if it was, I wouldnt be posting it online.

bretman1234
05-09-2003, 05:10 PM
Why wouldn't you post it online?!?!? Do you not trust us?!?! :(

chunk83
05-09-2003, 05:12 PM
No, im simply saying that not everything has to be a pressing matter. Im just looking for peoples opinions.

bretman1234
05-09-2003, 05:33 PM
ohhh ok so this is basically a pointless thread, for me that is. It might come in handy for you.

Waterspout
05-10-2003, 03:17 PM
If you don't like a particular thread just skip it and let others be able to read and respond without having to look at pointless posts within the thread. The guy is just looking for gaming opinions. What the hell is the big deal?

Snoopy7548
05-10-2003, 03:21 PM
the best are doom and goldeneye

shrew king
05-10-2003, 07:44 PM
My all time favorite is Goldeneye, that game was the first FPS that I liked.

l Maximus l
05-11-2003, 03:54 AM
The best FPS, in my opinion, is Halo. I've never played an FPS for so long and have it maintain an equal or increasing level of interest. I bought Halo at launch and I still play it every other day...sometimes everyday. Right now, RTCW has been receiving most of my attention, though...because it's new and well, it's bad ass! :D

LTM360
05-11-2003, 08:52 AM
Perfect Dark and Metroid Prime.

Waterspout
05-11-2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA
The best FPS, in my opinion, is Halo. I've never played an FPS for so long and have it maintain an equal or increasing level of interest. I bought Halo at launch and I still play it every other day...sometimes everyday. Right now, RTCW has been receiving most of my attention, though...because it's new and well, it's bad ass! :D

Indeed. Before buying Halo I was strictly a sports player. After playing Halo I am into shooters more than I am sports.

ThomasHun
05-11-2003, 12:05 PM
I would say goldeneye because we played it every weekend for probably 5 months, but we only played multiplayer. Halo however had a kickass co-op and you could be on different tvs in multiplayer i.e no looking off screens. :cuss:

l Maximus l
05-11-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by ThomasHun
Halo however had a kickass co-op and you could be on different tvs in multiplayer i.e no looking off screens. :cuss:

hehe...I know, my buddies and I used to play the first Turok's multi-player every weekend on the N64 and we used to all screen cheat to kill eachother :D hehe...now we play a lot of Halo on XBConnect or do system link games religiously. Now that I have two XBoxes and two copies of Halo, it makes it really convenient...often times I'll get 4 v 4 matches going. I have a close friend that is border line as good as I am and if we're on the same team, we smoke foolios up :D

kenji
05-11-2003, 07:51 PM
Goldeneye was the greatest for me. There was so many levels and difficulties with an huge amount of guns. Cheats made it better and it was a lot of fun multiplayer. This got me hooked on FPS. Halo is close behind because of its story line and amazing graphics and then perfect dark because it is the first co-op FPS I ever played.

xboxman_1
05-11-2003, 07:57 PM
Everyone says Goldeneye, but apparently you forgot that PD was the same game with better graphics, more areas, more weapons, a new story, bots....gosh, that game is the best ever. Halo MP pales in comparison to the options PD had.

Kortiz
05-11-2003, 08:02 PM
maximus, your first xbox works still?

y2kash_14
05-11-2003, 08:44 PM
without a doubt.....Goldeneye..me and my buds played that and the original THPS almost everyday after school. And then came Perfect Dark.........

l Maximus l
05-12-2003, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by Fosho
maximus, your first xbox works still?

Yeah..my nephew actually fixed it! No joke...he said the motherboard melted and he replaced it with a new one. Honestly, I don't know much more about it other than that and the fact that he fixed it. I'm a happy camper :D

NINE BREAKER
05-12-2003, 02:15 AM
I really enjoyed Perfect dark. But Halo has the graphics and story line. I guess that's kinda screwed up to compare N64 to the 'Box, huh?

y2kash_14
05-12-2003, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by NINE BREAKER
I really enjoyed Perfect dark. But Halo has the graphics and story line. I guess that's kinda screwed up to compare N64 to the 'Box, huh?

yup....the 'Box don't stand a chance :D

Stormlord
05-12-2003, 07:16 AM
Lots of FPSs are great in IMO. My first FPS ever was Doom (SNES). Then Quake, Quake 2, Turok, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and Turok 2. My first PC FPS was Half-Life. I have many more but my choice out of your choices would be PD and Halo. They've both raised the bar on what we wanted to see in an FPS' single-player and even multiplayer. PD gave us a deep story...so did Halo. PD had an amazing multiplayer...so does Halo. I wouldn't know if Halo actually started the vehicle combat in multiplayer but it certainly is what I've come to expect. I was stoked when Unreal Chamionship was said to have vehicles and Battlefield 1942 was coming to the box. Then we were met with the tragedy of both ideas being dropped. So PD and halo are the best IMO. Hopefully PD Zero and Halo 2 will raise the bar even higher to keep them in that status as the best console FPSs of all time. :D :cheers:

Dyslexic Chaos
05-12-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by xboxman_1
Everyone says Goldeneye, but apparently you forgot that PD was the same game with better graphics, more areas, more weapons, a new story, bots....gosh, that game is the best ever. Halo MP pales in comparison to the options PD had.

Well you have to take into account the time-frame. Some1 might play a game for the first time, and love it incrediably. It might be the best game of all time, but get old. And PD was pretty m uch the same as goldeneye, although i love that game also. But, if they kept releasing the same game ala Tomb Raider, it would quickly become old. That is y many people say Tomb Raider 2 was the best game in the series. Because while all the sequels are actually better, TR2 was better for its time.

chunk83
05-12-2003, 06:09 PM
My dream game would be a remake of Goldeneye, with online and bot support, completely overhauled graphics and sound. Twould be the most amazing game of all time.......well almost, because nothing can beat Ocarina of Time.

Stormlord
05-14-2003, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by chunk83
My dream game would be a remake of Goldeneye, with online and bot support, completely overhauled graphics and sound. Twould be the most amazing game of all time.......well almost, because nothing can beat Ocarina of Time.

It would be cool to re-release Goldeneye and all but do you think EA will do a good job? Let alone have it on Xbox or Gamecube? Most likely it would make it to PS2 and PC. PS2 would still be the best version. :mad:

Ocarina of time is another story. I'd say it's the best adventure RPG of all time. :cheers:

y2kash_14
05-14-2003, 09:35 PM
Nope...Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past is the best Adventure game of all time.....heck, best GAME of all time in my opinon :D

Young_Fledgling
05-14-2003, 10:49 PM
goldeneye....... I THINK.... but thats just because before then we never really saw a QUALITY fps

butttttttttt i think halo is better in terms of quality and fun..... so i am not sure which is better.

Peepers
05-14-2003, 10:57 PM
Halo.

Goldeneye and Perfect Dark had much less skill involved with an autoaim that was often deleterious, and a control scheme that made player-reticulating inpractical. Halo, with the glorious Xbox controller, overcame that.

Halo, if for no other reason than that it can compete with PC shooters on their own turf.

l Maximus l
05-15-2003, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Peepers
Halo.

Goldeneye and Perfect Dark had much less skill involved with an autoaim that was often deleterious, and a control scheme that made player-reticulating inpractical. Halo, with the glorious Xbox controller, overcame that.

Halo, if for no other reason than that it can compete with PC shooters on their own turf.

I agree, dude...Halo made a ton of fans of die hard PC gamers that practically swore they would never play an FPS on a gaming console without a keyboard and mouse. If a console FPS can do that, it's gotta be one of, if not THE BEST FPS of all time. Hell, in my opinion, it's the best game ever created.