PDA

View Full Version : Starting to wonder...xbox console versions..

memphissheik
05-09-2003, 01:59 PM
I'm on my second xbox now. No, nothing happened to the first. I just had some rent issues, and it had to go.

Anyways, I just now got my hands on my newest little Xbox kitten and I freakin' love the thing.

For some odd reason, this one plays and rips burned cd's. Something that my first didn't do.

Are they making drastic changes as to how and what they're puttin the box's, or am I just lucky and need to go shut up before somebody fry pans me in the back of the head?

I have one more question...
Seeing that actually playing a game with your own soundtrack seems to be quite popular around here, WHY in the hell do they seem to want to force us to listen to these soundtracks and not let us have our own in the game??

Dal_nar
05-09-2003, 02:14 PM
Well i do know that the newer X-Boxes use a Samsung DVD drive instead of the Thompsan drive that the earilier ones used. That might explain why you are having better luck with burned Cds. There have been changes made to the console since launch. Most of the changes are to reduce production costs. Although I think that the DVD drive was changed because the Thompsan had a rather high failure rate =[. I've had one X-Box die already ... but it was replaced under warrenty =]. The DVD drive in it refused to regognize my games as X-Box Games.

echohype
05-09-2003, 03:36 PM
speaking of warranty.

how much is the 2 year extension?

Master Gracey
05-09-2003, 05:12 PM
Dal_nar is right... the newer DVD drives are making all the difference.

The old DVD drives were so weak that the lasers didn't have the power to read CD-R's. That same weakness caused tons of dirty disc errors and misread media. The newer drives are powerful enough to cut through all that crap, work much better, and read CD-R's. :D

ARONO129
05-09-2003, 05:47 PM
There is no way of telling which one we have, other than the obvoius, taking it apart which is a big no-no.

echohype
05-09-2003, 05:49 PM
can we call up support or something and request or ask for a swap of the device? or something?

wweomaniac
05-09-2003, 08:14 PM
thats so unfair to everyone who bought an xbox before the multiple price drops, and free game promos... we're also muissing out on playing burned cds.

Dal_nar
05-09-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by wweomaniac
thats so unfair to everyone who bought an xbox before the multiple price drops, and free game promos... we're also muissing out on playing burned cds.

Yah unfortunately that is what usually happens with new technology. The first run of PS2's had optical drive problems as well. I've had a couple of friends that bought the PS2 when it first came out that had the optical drive fail. However as long as your drive is working there is no need to worry. Althought transfering music onto CD-RW can be a bit of a pain =[.

Brevity
05-09-2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by memphissheik
I'm on my second xbox now.

Hay man sorry to hear it. Check the offtopic area in a thread called sigs for noobs, by me for a gift. Welcome!

shrew king
05-10-2003, 12:11 AM
Yeah it kinda sucks that the ones who got an Xbox in that first couple of months got 'screwed' when the price dropped, two games were added into the mix, and the laser became more powerful. I say Microsoft gives us new ones :D

ARONO129
05-10-2003, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by shrew king
Yeah it kinda sucks that the ones who got an Xbox in that first couple of months got 'screwed' when the price dropped, two games were added into the mix, and the laser became more powerful. I say Microsoft gives us new ones :D

I read somewhere on the net that they bundled some of the older version Xbox consoles in with the bundled games. Makes sense from their point of view. Right?

Cyclone
05-12-2003, 08:19 AM
Hehehe
This is why I never buy a console as soon as its released :D