PDA

View Full Version : Help setting up surround sound?

YeW2001
05-11-2003, 01:58 AM
Hi All -

I have an X-box + the Advanced AV Pack - as well as 5 speaker surround sound speakers... I am very confused about how to install this.

All the speakers are linked at the back of my subwoofer (I don't have an AMP) - I have a double ended RCA plug running from the xbox advanced AV pack to the subwoofer. Consequently I am only getting sound out of 2 speakers... there are 4 empty RCA plugs at the back of the sub-woofer.

Being speaker retarded I don't know what to do?? I'm sure there must be a simple solution :).

How do I connect the other speakers to the x-box?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can render :).

Cheers - Dave.

Flood
05-11-2003, 02:58 AM
bah...its hard for me to figure out hook up problems without being in front of things...hehe

i know LynxFX-XBA is a big surrund sound/high definition guru, so try droping him a pm or hope he sees this...hehe

l Maximus l
05-11-2003, 03:29 AM
The two RCA cables that you are using for audio are the white and red cables. Those are left and right stereo cables. Therefore, with only one plugged in, you are only getting the left or the right set of speakers working. This is not how to do it, obviously.

You mentioned that you have the Advanced A/V Pack. If you notice on the pack itself that there is a square looking output on there. This is a Toslink input (fiber optic). You need to purchase a fiber optic/Toslink cable. I've seen them run about $19.99 and it does not have to be any proprietary cable...meaning, it doesn't have to be made by Microsoft XBox. Any Fiber Optic/Toslink audio cable will work great.

The only thing is that your set up must have the Fiber Optic input on it. I'm not sure if your current set up will...most new decent 5.1 Dolby Digital amplifiers will have atleast one.

Hopefully that helps :D

BCan
05-11-2003, 07:43 AM
Doesn't sound too promising to get surround sound out of it. I think there is an option for Dolby Pro Logic in the XBOX dashboard, I think at best is what you can do. Without the use of a Toslink cable (fibre optic) and a proper Dolby Digital equipped amp, you can't get the full on DD experience.

The extra slots are more for the use with a DVD player which has the 5.1 output seperate channels to connect.

echohype
05-11-2003, 08:06 AM
hey

would monster cable make a tos link cable?

if so, any links for them?

thanks man

EDIT:

found it :) http://monstercable.com/monstergame/xbox/

question is, what does the input jack/socket look like on the back of the receiver? I got one about 2 years old, a panasonic, surround sound system. would it work?

BCan
05-11-2003, 08:40 AM
It should be labelled Optic Input, so that should be the first thing to look for. Second of all, the amp needs to be Dolby Digital equipped, if it isn't, then I seriously doubt there would be any digital inputs, such as an optical one...

It should be relatively square in shape, if it has a cover, they are usually square topped to protect the optic input in the amp. It is also something that is where the cable pushed into the unit, rather than being placed on an external plug which RCA does.

Just look for the Dolby Digital symbol on the front of the amp, if not look at the manual, or manufacturers website to see if it was DD equipped...

Hope you didn't get sold a dud that was Pro Logic only...

echohype
05-11-2003, 08:51 AM
Ok.

I looked on my main unit(dunno what to call it, I'll describe)- it has the 5 disc dvd changer, radio, all audio and such inputs, speaker inputs, sub input, and all that.

I look right above the volume knob on it and say "Dolby Digital" with the 2 little D's symbol.

more help please? lol

Zion
05-11-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by echohype
Ok.

I looked on my main unit(dunno what to call it, I'll describe)- it has the 5 disc dvd changer, radio, all audio and such inputs, speaker inputs, sub input, and all that.

I look right above the volume knob on it and say "Dolby Digital" with the 2 little D's symbol.

more help please? lol

Sounds like it's Dolby Digital ready, not Dolby Digital equipped...meaning that you need an outboard Dolby Digital decoder since you don't have one built in. You have no way to connect a digital signal from a DVD player or the Xbox so there's no way to get Dolby Digital sound.

In other words, you might as well go buy a new receiver with the correct inputs and decoders.

echohype
05-11-2003, 09:39 AM
ah, I see. Well considering it's 2 years old, I coulda figured that.

I'll sell it off and get a new system, they are going for cheap nowadays anyways.

thanks for your helP!

Zion
05-11-2003, 11:06 AM
Just make sure you get one with plenty of optical inputs (like at least 3 minimum) and 6.1/7.1 capabilty for future use :)

l Maximus l
05-11-2003, 01:08 PM
hey

would monster cable make a tos link cable?

if so, any links for them?

thanks man

EDIT:

found it :) http://monstercable.com/monstergame/xbox/

question is, what does the input jack/socket look like on the back of the receiver? I got one about 2 years old, a panasonic, surround sound system. would it work?

Monster does make a Toslink/Fiber Optic cable. They make their own for standard use and they also have a proprietary one for XBox. But, to use it, you have to use a Monster 300 series S-Video XBox cables or the Monster 400 series XBox Component Video cables to use it. The reason is because of the input...it will only fit it correctly.

kornavs19
05-11-2003, 02:13 PM
I'll sell it off and get a new system, they are going for cheap nowadays anyways.

Yea, isnt that amazing..A few yearrs ago i woulda never thought i'd ever lay hands on a DVD player cause they were so expensive, now there pretty much dirt cheap considering the older prices..

echohype
05-11-2003, 02:45 PM
yep, indeed they are :)

just gotta find the right one I want, he he