PDA

View Full Version : Lets end the Xbox Lite has no HD rumors

Cyclone
05-11-2003, 06:11 PM
I've noticed a lot of people have been saying that the Xbox lite will not have a hd to help cut down on size. Well, although I don't know anything about the Xbox Lite right now, I know that they won't do away with the hd since most games need it. So here is what I think they'll do.

If anything they'll switch to using a laptop hard drive.
A laptop hard drive is roughly half the size of a normal hd. ~grabs hd out of his laptop and takes pic~

Here is a standard size hard drive and a laptop hard drive on top of it for a size compairison.

http://www.cyclones-world.net/images/hd%20size%20compair/DSCF0050.JPG
http://www.cyclones-world.net/images/hd%20size%20compair/DSCF0051.JPG
http://www.cyclones-world.net/images/hd%20size%20compair/xbox.JPG

If you know what the inside of the xbox looks like, you know that the hard drive takes up quite a bit of space. If they went to using a laptop hard drive, it would cut down on space in the Xbox a lot. They could mount the laptop hd under the cdrom in the current Xbox and cut down it's size by over half to about the size of a Dreamcast.

To give a better idea of laptop hd and normal, the laptop hd is 2.5inch wide and the normal is 3.5 I believe. Also, normal is about an inch tall while laptop is about half an inch. Lenth, normal hd is amost 2 inchs longer.

Another down side about laptop hard drives is they're slower. However, this will hardly be noticeable in the Xbox since music and game saves will load pretty fast anyways since they're pretty small in size. Also game content and loading should still be pretty fast. Also laptop hard drives are quieter and use less energy.
Sorry about the bad picture quality, trying to keep these pictures forum friendly.

Discuss what you think :P

Kortiz
05-11-2003, 06:23 PM
haha, good job!!

l Maximus l
05-11-2003, 06:29 PM
hehe...I think I met someone that has more time on their hand than me :D

bretman1234
05-11-2003, 06:32 PM
i noticed u have a vanilla coke can in your trash. I LOVE VANILLA COKE!!!! IT ROX!!!

Kortiz
05-11-2003, 06:33 PM
what ya mean maximus?

maybe he has a lot of spare parts? not hard to take pictures.

load them up and post on the forums. besides it is sunday, and raining heavily in most parts of the us....

the raining heavily in most parts of the us comment is just from looking outside my window....so i really dont know what im talking about on that part.

either way it isnt hard to do....what ya smokin.

kornavs19
05-11-2003, 06:36 PM
haha..U looked in his trash..lol
yes, vanilla coke is quite good..

My friend has a labtop,idk if its just that it sux or that there all like that but, u gotta b in a certain spot or u dont get connection or service or it slows down, something lke that...If thats true then that would stink if it got put in the xbox, if not then cool...

Kortiz
05-11-2003, 06:38 PM
i think his laptop just sucks.

Shadow20002
05-11-2003, 07:00 PM
Maybe it's true....anyway, wait until E3, this gonna tell us exactly how XL wil be. :p

Kortiz
05-11-2003, 07:11 PM
Hopefully MS can make some profit by this change.

kornavs19
05-11-2003, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Fosho
i think his laptop just sucks.

LMAO, yea thats what i was kinda leaning towards..

ARONO129
05-11-2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA
hehe...I think I met someone that has more time on their hand than me :D

Actually I switched shifts at my job. I only work 7 days out of 14. Just had 8 days off, went back to work Sat and Sun and if I use 2 holiday days I may have another 7 days off. Downside is eating jail food and g-d knows what in the meatloaf or pudding. I have a lot of gas for the last 12 years.:watchout:

canadianboi3
05-11-2003, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by ARONO129

Actually I switched shifts at my job. I only work 7 days out of 14. Just had 8 days off, went back to work Sat and Sun and if I use 2 holiday days I may have another 7 days off. Downside is eating jail food and g-d knows what in the meatloaf or pudding. I have a lot of gas for the last 12 years.:watchout:

That has what to do with anything now?:huh:

ARONO129
05-12-2003, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by canadianboi3

That has what to do with anything now?:huh:

Ummm. Follow up the thread a bit to where Max talks about have lots of time off. Since Max mentions time off I didn't think it was inappropriate to follow up by mentioning my time off. That can and does happen to many threads where it goes off and then on topic.

Sorry for the confusion. Now back to the topic of this thread...:cheers:

l Maximus l
05-12-2003, 12:56 AM
hehe...I love stirring up the pot :D

NINE BREAKER
05-12-2003, 02:27 AM
he..he.. I love stirring POT too..:D
*re-reads Maximus's thread*

oh never mind.:D

Good point about the laptop hd though.

Cyclone
05-12-2003, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by NINE BREAKER
he..he.. I love stirring POT too..:D
*re-reads Maximus's thread*

oh never mind.:D

Good point about the laptop hd though.

Well it kinda suprised me that either nobody thought of this before or didn't bother posting it. I believe that the people that actually believe that the Xbox Lite isn't going to have a hd have little or no computer knowledge at all. So hopefully by this post it can clear up up some confusion since it's what I believe will happen. Although there is still a possibility that they could use the same hard drive and have the system still be about the size of the Gamecube. Well, maybe about the size of the Panasonic Gamecube since I believe it's a little larger since it can use standard DVD media.

Hugh_Jass
05-12-2003, 01:41 PM
If the iPod can contain a hard drive then anything can.

WynnFire
05-12-2003, 02:42 PM
I don't think they will use a laptop hard drive. If anyone remembers, last year an article came out saying that Seagate was working on smaller/faster hard drives for use in Consumer Products.

U Series X designed using Six Sigma to meet requirements of game consoles, printers, copiers and other cost-sensitive applications

http://www.seagate.com/cda/newsinfo/newsroom/releases/article/0,1121,1452

treyz3
05-12-2003, 03:08 PM
Plus laptop hard drives cost more than normal hard drives. It would be a bad practice to make a smaller box and have it cost more.

JimmieDoogan
05-12-2003, 05:31 PM
ALL GAMES BUILT SPECIFICALLY FOR THE XBOX REQUIRE THE HD!!! It is an Impossibility that they would scrap it!

NINE BREAKER
05-13-2003, 01:00 AM
It'd be completely stupid to not have a hd in the next "Box, or any future system for that matter. I know not haviing to buy memory cards to save all my games was a BIG selling point for me. Memory card money is better spent buying games, IMO.