PDA

View Full Version : HDTV Question

SACK
12-06-2001, 05:39 AM
I have a SAMSUNG TANTUS 55" HDTV Ready set. Do I need any extra hardware OTHER than the HDTV AV Pack (i.e. HD decoder or tuner) to view in 480p or 1080i?

The reason I ask is, I purchased the AV Pack but DOA3 displays half the picture on one side and the other half on the other as if it was shoved way to the right or left.

Thanks,
SACK

Hugh_Jass
12-06-2001, 03:50 PM
You don't need any other hardware but I think you need to go through the XBOX menu and tell it to use HDTV.

SACK
12-07-2001, 05:30 AM
This is the model number: HCL555W

This is what I've done so far:

1) Bought the HDTV AV Pack
2) Connected it to the Component Video on the TV.
3*) Told the xbox what video modes to support. Tried all of them.
4*) Set the xbox for widescreen, tried all of them.
5) Select the component input.
6) Try game.

I even tried the Digital TV input for a DTV tuner (because according to the manual that input expects ONLY 480p and 1080i signals) and switched to that and the signal got all screwed up. Picture would pop in all flickering like, then dissapear, and again and again.

I know this set is supposed to support 480p and 1080i so I am stumped why I can't get the signal.

When I try DOA3 I get video using both the resolutions but the screen gets slammed to the right and I get a big black line straight down the middle of my screen.... as if it was pushed 50% to the right (or left.)

I think I am going to call Samsung.

Other than this, this set has an incredible picture like all the reviews I have read. I am STUMPED.

Hugh_Jass
12-07-2001, 12:11 PM
That does sound strange. The only step you didn't list is making sure the cables are attached correctly. Since there are three cables for component video it is possible that you don't have them plugged into the proper ports. I've never done that so I don't know what effect that would have on the picture.

Does the picture look fine with the standard XBOX component cable?

SACK
12-07-2001, 12:15 PM
Yeah, I double and triple checked everything.

It works fine as long as I don't use DOA3 and have any of the HDTV modes selected as being supported. HOWEVER, all the other games work fine with those settings.... and I think only because they dont try and use them. :) I'm going crazy.

l Maximus l
12-07-2001, 12:54 PM
Sack...the only thing I would recommend is that you call 1-800-4-MY-XBOX and see what they say. It appears that it has gotten to this point since you have appeared to have done everything else.

SACK
12-07-2001, 12:55 PM
Will do :(

God I hate calling tech support.

l Maximus l
12-07-2001, 12:58 PM
lol, Sack...I know the feeling. Maybe they will have some good DOA3 elevator music playing while you are on hold :D

SACK
12-07-2001, 01:00 PM
Well this week I got a 768kbs/768kbs SDSL line installed to host a Return to Castle Wolfenstein Server. I think that will be my weekend enjoyment :)

If any of you want to join:
SillyCrazy Giblet Hut

It will be up around 4:30pm EST and stay up permanently after that.

Did I mention I hate calling for tech support?

SACK
01-02-2002, 01:42 PM
Had a Samsung repair tech dispatched, he setup an HDTV set top box up and it displayed 1080i no problem. He ended up spending an hour calibrating my set and left. He thought my xbox or the HDTV AV pack was the culprit. He couldn't believe that the HDTV AV pack was only $19 and scoffed that that was most likely the bad component so I returned it and got another, same problem.

I set up the xbox for him and showed him the problem and he said it looked like the set was battling with the xbox to aggree on a signal. But it never does.

Called Microsoft.... they say everything is setup right. I am sooooo frickin bummed. :(

Now comes the old cliche' "why me?"

Hugh_Jass
01-02-2002, 09:40 PM
Do you know anyone else with an XBOX? Maybe you could borrow it and test a different XBOX with your TV. I don't think your XBOX is bad but it would help rule out the possibility.

LynxFX
01-02-2002, 09:48 PM
I think your repair man was a jackass. Figures that they would start pointing fingers and the price doesn't always mean quality. But he might be on to something about the HD pack. Take it back and replace that.

Triple check your connections again. I might add that you should try just 480p support first(on the xbox dashboard). Also since you said DOA3 was causing it I'm guessing it might have to do with the fact that it is a 16x9 title. Not sure if that would effect it but just taking some wild guesses. Also didn't know what other games you had if you have another 16x9 title.

Check your tv settings again as well. Not familiar with the model but there might be letterbox settings, widescreen settings, squishing and what not. Something is splitting your video stream.

Best of luck.

DBXNY
01-02-2002, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by SACK
Yeah, I double and triple checked everything.

It works fine as long as I don't use DOA3 and have any of the HDTV modes selected as being supported. HOWEVER, all the other games work fine with those settings.... and I think only because they dont try and use them. :) I'm going crazy.

Your problem really sounds like a syncing issue as your tech implied. Sometimes it can be caused by incompatiblity issues. The above quote in your thread strikes a question though:

Are you saying all your other X-Box games work in the HDTV settings? All X-box titles released are in 480p, so if you have the console setup to output 480p, 720p, and/or 1080i, you should get 480p to your TV with all the games. (none will give you 720p nor 1080i yet).

If you are saying you get 480p with all your X-Box games except DOA3 through the same input, then sounds to me like the DOA3 disc is more than likely the culprit.

However, I do know some Samsung TV's have 2 component inputs but only one of them accepts 480p and 1080i signals. The other only accepts 480i signals. Trying to input 480p into this component input can yeid results like you are experiencing.

SACK
01-03-2002, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the replies guys I appreciate it:

You are right about the SAMSUNG component inputs, only one accepts HDTV signals and you have to hit a button on the remote to switch to that mode and that is when everything gets crazy and wont sync up.

I was incorrect in that only DOA3 was doing it. It doesn't matter what game I get the same issue. I did not know that they are all 480p however.

I am a Systems Engineer for a large corp so my troubleshooting patience goes a lot farther than most so I tried every single mode one at a time in the dash board. I just came across someone here at work that just bought one and am trying to get him to bring his over and try it out.

I was even thinking about giving those Monster cables a try.

Thanks again, any other ideas?

P.S. My Samsung JUST went out of warranty so the visit was a pay visit. He told me that Samsung was pretty good about covering the cost of just out of warranty visits to keep good customer relations and that if they get reimbursed he would send me a check........ well do you see the scam I do here?

DBXNY
01-03-2002, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the replies guys I appreciate it:

You are right about the SAMSUNG component inputs, only one accepts HDTV signals and you have to hit a button on the remote to switch to that mode and that is when everything gets crazy and wont sync up.

I was incorrect in that only DOA3 was doing it. It doesn't matter what game I get the same issue. I did not know that they are all 480p however.

I was even thinking about giving those Monster cables a try.

Thanks again, any other ideas?

Yes. You can try out the Monster cables, but my instincts are still leaning towards the Samsung and still possibly your connections as the culprit now. You say the tech got 1080i into the DTV input fine. Did he also try to get 480p input into the DTV tuner from the HDTV settop box?

What I said about the inputs on Samsungs have been what I've seen on their HDTV direct-view sets. However, I did just happen to discover (website) that two of their new RPTV HDTV sets have the DTV input compatible for 1080i only, and the other component input compatible with 480i/480p only. I suggest you totally ensure what type of input is compatible with the component input you are connecting the X-box into. With the above in mind, you may NOT be able to use the DTV input for the X-box progressive-scan.

Hugh_Jass
01-03-2002, 11:42 AM
I wonder if your XBOX is sending out 480p and your TV is expecting 480i (or the other way around)? Is there a way you can tell your TV to auto-sync to interlaced or progressive scan? Maybe it just does that out of the box.

You might also want to look for a scaler you can borrow. I can adjust the sync on mine. Of course, my projector has a sync adjustment, too.

Another thought... his 1080i test source may have a different sync than the XBOX.

SACK
01-03-2002, 01:37 PM
What is a "scaler"? :)

Forgive my ignorance but my experience is all computer related lol.

DBXNY
01-03-2002, 01:55 PM
What is a "scaler"? :)

Forgive my ignorance but my experience is all computer related lol.

In short, a scaler is an external device that can be used to convert 480i material into 480p, or 480p to 1080i or 1080p, etc.

Basically, I think what Hugh and I are suggesting is that you triple check your connections. Specifically, you need to ensure that the component input you are trying to use with the X-Box is capable of receiving a 480p signal. What does the owner's manual say about the specs for the 2 component inputs on your set?

SACK
01-03-2002, 02:01 PM
I just downloaded the manual here at work and it says quote:

"When switching to the DTV mode, either 480p or 1080i format is automatically selected according to the input signal."

"Note: Only 480p and 1080i formats are supported in their original formats."

DBXNY
01-03-2002, 02:08 PM
I just downloaded the manual here at work and it says quote:

"When switching to the DTV mode, either 480p or 1080i format is automatically selected according to the input signal."

"Note: Only 480p and 1080i formats are supported in their original formats."

Ok, but does it specifically say what formats are supported by each component input?

SACK
01-03-2002, 02:26 PM
That was for the DTV input. And that is the ONLY mention of those formats within the manual.

If I plug the cable in the DVD and select 1080i within the xbox and play it will be cool, but as I now know these games are 480p anyhow. If I set up the xbox to 480p the screen gets jammed to the right 1/2 way so that the black edge is straight down the middle.

l Maximus l
01-03-2002, 02:29 PM
That was for the DTV input. And that is the ONLY mention of those formats within the manual.

If I plug the cable in the DVD and select 1080i within the xbox and play it will be cool, but as I now know these games are 480p anyhow. If I set up the xbox to 480p the screen gets jammed to the right 1/2 way so that the black edge is straight down the middle.

Dude, Sack...that hugs, man. Have your tried calling the manufacturer of the Television? If anyone knows their TV, it would be the manufacturer...just a thought.

DBXNY
01-03-2002, 03:14 PM

Dude, if you plug the cable into the DVD component and select 1080i in the X-box (and "no" to 480p), then I would think you should get an ok picture. In this case, your X-box is still outputting a normal 480i signal. If you switch X-box to 480p output while still connected to the DVD component input, I would think you would get the problems you are experiencing because the DVD component input probably doesn't support 480p.

Now, have you tried connecting the X-Box to the DTV component input and setting the X-Box up for 480p output?