PDA

View Full Version : Enter The Matrix First Impressions: Hamwich

MerimacHamwich
05-16-2003, 01:24 AM
First off I will say that you should see the movie before playing the game becuase they do not introduce the story. You are thrust into the matrix world and find out you are searching for a box. You do not know why though, unless you have seen the movie.

Now, onto graphical impressions. I was expecting this game to make use of bump mapping heck maybe even normal mapping, however, it does not. I guess I should have expected that from a multiplatform game (Xbox, PS2, GameCube and PC). However, it does look pretty nice for a multiplatform game, the character models have some pretty nice textures. The environments are kind of a letdown though, all PS2ish with very little texture work. As well the shadows are poorly done. There is this kind of cool effect when you shoot enemies though. Code spurts out from them. It is in circles though, which is alright but I think it could have been done better. You see the bullet streams when you shoot when using focus. There is definetly some neat effects present. There definetly is worse looking games out on the Xbox. So don't expects wonders in the graphics department from this game. However, it may look better with an HDTV setup. I have not had the chance to try seeing as I only have the advanced AV pack and not the HD pack. That is one great thing about this game though, it supports 1080i, a true HDTV resolution. I think it also uses 720p another true HDTV resolution. I guess I should also mention the real life cutscenes here, they are great.

Sound. This is a part of the game that I thoroughly enjoy. It has decent use of DD5.1 and the original soundtrack seems to be present. I love that title track. As well the sound effects have not even come close to annoying yet.

Gameplay. This is another exceling point of the game. To me it is extremely addictive and fun. At first, yes, it does start out kind of slow as you learn the controls and get use to playing the game. When you have everything down the game is amazing. I am comfortable with playing now and by no means do I have everything under control when I am playing, nonetheless it is awesome fun. Whipping out some bada-s-s throws and such gives you a great rush. You can't help but yell out a phrase like "BOOYAH!" So learn the controls and you will have fun. Kind of like the movie, realise your potential and excel. Now, onto the Hacking. This is definetly a brilliant and innovative element in the game. After playing for about 4 hours and maybe 1 or 2 hours spent on the Hacking I have been able to make the matrix give me a string of beeps that can make out a short jingle. Definetly cool. You can also import weapons and such into your current level although I am nowhere near adept enough to do that yet. I also hear you can chat with Trinity. Isn't that awesome?! There is definetly some bonus and redeeming points for gameplay becuase of the ability to hack the Matrix. BRILLIANT!

Presentation. This is a well done factor in the game. From the opening producer and developer intros to The Matrix title track it is all here. It is definetly a game that puts you into that Matrix mood. High points are scored in this department for sure.

Overall for my first impression rating I would give this game a 7.5/10. It is definetly worth at least a rent. If you like The Matrix, it is a buy. Ofcourse my opinion may change later but usually first impressions give lower scores than final impressions. At least when I give them.
:)

l Maximus l
05-16-2003, 01:42 AM
Everything you stated here is not a surprise...I figured as much for a multi platform game. Though, I noticed you really do enjoy the game from the gameplay standpoint which really adds up to just plain fun. That's what it's all about :cheers:

Liquid Gears
05-16-2003, 02:06 AM
I rented this game this evening and I've been hooked on it since. I love this game! It's wicked, but the only thing bugging me is..........where's Neo,Trinity, and Morpheus in this game?

I was hoping I could use Neo in this game. He looks sweet in the movie.

Bakeman
05-16-2003, 02:22 AM
I agree on the most part...

Graphics aren't anything specials, but they aren't bad either. I think Niobe's character model is really good. Ghost is alright, just not as good I think. But that's just because Ghost is kinda plain.

The game play is awsome. Very fun game, being able to do all those cool Matrix moves :)

I just got the game on Wednesday, and I have already beaten the game with Niobe. I haven't gotten far in the Hacking yet. I'm kinda stuck and not sure what to do.

BCan
05-16-2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Liquid Gears
I rented this game this evening and I've been hooked on it since. I love this game! It's wicked, but the only thing bugging me is..........where's Neo,Trinity, and Morpheus in this game?

I was hoping I could use Neo in this game. He looks sweet in the movie.

First of all, the game was written(storywise) by the directors of the movie, so it doesn't have any events from it, it plays at around the same time as the movie.
Can't exactly having Trinity, Neo or Morpheus die, since they are on the screen for a lot of the movie. Never was the intention of the game to play as the main characters. If you got it on that pretence, then you should've realised that the game is helping to tell some of the backstory they couldn't do in the movie, so it has to be characters that aren't the main ones, that are doing some of the "grunt" work whilst Neo is doing his bit.

After all, how do you play as Neo, you can't lose, what a waste of a game.....

AmpedRider
05-16-2003, 07:48 AM
I would definately agree with you Ham...I love this game but its not perfect :cheers:

AmpedRider
05-16-2003, 07:49 AM
Trinity is in the mulitplayer mode but its all random

MerimacHamwich
05-16-2003, 12:53 PM
There is a multiplayer mode? What the heck? Do you unlock it after beating the game or something?

XBOX MSSC
05-16-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
There is a multiplayer mode? What the heck? Do you unlock it after beating the game or something?

you get it in the hacking system.

damn i love this game. :D

MerimacHamwich
05-16-2003, 01:26 PM
OH MY GOD! My brother just encoutered the coolest thing in the Hacking. Early on we found a password for a virtual drive. After alot of hacking my brother found out how to access that virtual drive. He input the password and the computer was dialing out to accesss the virtual drive. All of the sudden this woice starts talking to him, "You shouldn't be doing this, the line is not secure. If I can trace you so can they. Find a back door." Then a trace started looking for his computer, he tried to type int he code to lock out the trace but he was too slow, he typed it in once but he misspelled it. When the trace was complete his computer shut down and rebooted. He had to start all over again. This is the coolest.

No Fear 23
05-16-2003, 02:01 PM
did ur borther get a virus or something? and what do u mean by starting all over agian? as in that he lost all things on his computer and has to redo everything to get it back on?

Liquid Gears
05-16-2003, 02:32 PM
Yeah I'm stuck in this game. Where's the flashlight under the bridge in the sewers? ~ Ghost

MerimacHamwich
05-16-2003, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by No Fear 23
did ur borther get a virus or something? and what do u mean by starting all over agian? as in that he lost all things on his computer and has to redo everything to get it back on?
Computer=Terminal in the game he is hacking from. There was an agent or something tracing his hacking so the agent reset his terminal. He had to redo everything, yes. It was very cool.

LG, I don't know where it is, I haven't made it there yet.

Bakeman
05-16-2003, 04:13 PM
Yeah I'm stuck in this game. Where's the flashlight under the bridge in the sewers? ~ Ghost

When you get the message saying it is to dark.. go back to the middle of the bridge and there is a ladder on one side. Go down and back in the direction you originally came from before you got to the bridge.. And it's up against the wall. And it's highlighted like any other weapon that was dropped on the ground.

Liquid Gears
05-16-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Bakeman

When you get the message saying it is to dark.. go back to the middle of the bridge and there is a ladder on one side. Go down and back in the direction you originally came from before you got to the bridge.. And it's up against the wall. And it's highlighted like any other weapon that was dropped on the ground.

It's highlighted like anyway other weapon because it is a weapon. Bud, that's not a flaslight. Besides, the game would even let me pick it up when I walked over it.

What do I do man, you might be forgetting something?

Bakeman
05-16-2003, 04:54 PM

It's highlighted like anyway other weapon because it is a weapon. Bud, that's not a flaslight. Besides, the game would even let me pick it up when I walked over it.

What do I do man, you might be forgetting something? '

yeah I noticed that... it's a light on the end of what I believe is a MP5..

when I got to that point as Ghost I couldn't pick it up either.

What I did was I started to shoot of my MP5's and then it let me pick it up..

I think you need to have room to pick up the gun/light

I was getting really mad when it happened to me, because I had already done it with Niobe and it went fast with no problems, but with Ghost it was a major pain.

Just try shooting off your MP5's until it lets you pick it up.

Liquid Gears
05-16-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Bakeman
'

yeah I noticed that... it's a light on the end of what I believe is a MP5..

when I got to that point as Ghost I couldn't pick it up either.

What I did was I started to shoot of my MP5's and then it let me pick it up..

I think you need to have room to pick up the gun/light

I was getting really mad when it happened to me, because I had already done it with Niobe and it went fast with no problems, but with Ghost it was a major pain.

Just try shooting off your MP5's until it lets you pick it up.

Ok, let me try.

MerimacHamwich
05-16-2003, 11:06 PM
Man, the more I play and he more I hack the better this game gets! It was well worth the money. The graphics are seemingly better in multiplayer too, they are rather well done considering it is multiplatform.

Variation-XBA
05-17-2003, 02:19 AM
Went and played it at Future Shop today, thinking it was going to be ok... now I need to go buy it and am deciding between pc and xbox... :)

the gameplay is THAT good...

Wolf
05-17-2003, 06:34 PM
this game is awesome.

have you guys unlocked the sword in hacking yet?

and that same thing happened to me with the tracing thing the first time but i got it the second time.
i beat it with niobe yesterday and now i'm stuck with ghost.

MerimacHamwich
05-17-2003, 06:44 PM
I am currently trying to hack the training programs. I am not sure what to do but I am sure I will figure it out eventually.

Gameman732
05-17-2003, 07:11 PM
IF YOU WANT TO SEE THE CODES SCROLL DOWN...

IF NOT ....GET OUTTA HERE !

Various Cheats

Enter the hacking system in the game.

Infinite Ammo: 1DDF2556
Maximum Firepower: 0034AFFF
Focus Restored fast: FFF0020A
Unlimited Health: 7F4DF451
Enemies can not See You: FFFFFFF1
Turbo: FF00001A
Infinite Focus: 69E5D9E4
Test Level: 13D2C77F
Multi-Player Fighting: D5C55D1E
Moon Gravity: BB013FFF
Fastest Logos: 7867F443
Taxi Driving: 312MF451
Enemies Can Not hear You: 4516DF45
The One

To get Neo
F2222546

To get Trinity
00F58256

To get Morpheous
Info submitted by AnklesmIXZIN1 on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 20:36:12
Various Phone Numbers
001-949-555-0112
001-714-555-0187
001-213-555-0142
001-310-555-0111
001-949-555-0101
HACKING ENGINE TOOLS

Hacking engine tools:
In Hacking engine (which is accessed from the title screen), there are a number
of directories and tools that can be useful (such as spawning a weapon within
The Matrix.).

Command Effect
DIR <location> List files and folders
CLS Clear the screen of text
HELP <command> Extended help for a command
TRACEKILL Kills traces
READ Read *.txt files
VIEW View *.img files
PLAY Play *.fmv files
DROP JXTRR10 Weapon drop at Drainage Canal
DROP PNSRZ10 Weapon drop at North Concourse
DROP RKHMS10 Weapon drop at Airport Tunneld
DROP JDZMT10 Weapon drop at 2nd Floor West (Chateau)
DROP ZKHBD10 Weapon drop at Courtyard (Chateau)
DROP RHFTQ10 Weapon drop at Skyscraper
DROP ZSZQH10 Weapon drop at Warehouse (Chinatown)
DROP JDHQL10 Weapon drop at Transformer Field (power plant)
DROP B1AXXF2 Weapon drop at 2nd Floor PO Boxes

Dream Theater
05-18-2003, 07:09 AM
Here's the link to it all!!!

http://www.gamewinners.com/xbox/EnterTheMatrix.htm

Dark T-Way
05-18-2003, 07:53 AM
Just had to hop in and say that like the rest of you, I agree. The graphics are decent for a Multiplatformer, the sound is awesome but the gameplay?

MAN, that is where this game just absolutely SHINES. I am addicted to it - just to busy to sit with it non-stop for any really good length of time so far.

I am at the car-chase with the twins right now (Playing as Ghost) The hacking is excellent. Love the game, can't wait to see the movie pretty soon.

Drakon678
05-18-2003, 10:46 AM
actually i hear the game aint as good for computer, they apparently left out a lot of tweaks on the systems version. i would grab the xbox one man.

Gameman732
05-18-2003, 12:53 PM
True dat...But, if you have a gangsta video card, it's not too bad.
I wanna hear from someone playin' or, that has seen the PS2 version.

Alfy
05-18-2003, 03:41 PM
<b>Dark T-Way</b>

Im on the same part as you but cant get my head around how to out run them?

I've tried shooting at them flat out but they wont die (i do die though :-()

and have also tried to shoot the cars in front to make a quick getaway but I dont know which one I should be doing like :-P

Wolf
05-18-2003, 03:53 PM
shoot the cars in front of you before you worry about the twins and whenever the twins get close to you shoot them and they will fall back. whenever you start slowing down, shoot the cars in front of you.

Stifler
05-18-2003, 07:56 PM
There's actually multiplayer in this game? How is that so, when on the back of the box it states one player only?

How do I unlock multiplayer then?

BCan
05-18-2003, 08:34 PM
Complete the hacking into the Logos, and you will receive a gift of multiplayer..

You just have to know where to find it...

MerimacHamwich
05-18-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Stifler
There's actually multiplayer in this game? How is that so, when on the back of the box it states one player only?

How do I unlock multiplayer then?
The whole game including the packaging is great this way. You have this hacking system and you have no idea what it does, only that you can hack the matrix. Non of the hacking secrets are revealed until you reveal them yourself. Its amazing. This game so deep.

mrmp3
05-18-2003, 09:07 PM
I haven't bought this yetr but my friend is ranting and raving about how great it is so maybe I'll pick it up. I'm just wondering though, is the multiplayer like a co-op thing or some sort of spar mode or vs. mode. If it isn't co-op, do u fight in the dojo like in the first Matrix movie? One last thing GameWinners isn't exactly 100% reliable with their codes. They pretty much post any codes that are submitted. So I was just wondering if the codes for Trinity Neo and Morpheous work. Signing off...

Dark T-Way
05-18-2003, 10:36 PM
is the multiplayer like a co-op thing or some sort of spar mode or vs. mode. If it isn't co-op, do u fight in the dojo like in the first Matrix movie

Check out the website I have listed as my homepage in my profile. I put up about 70 screen shots, including each MP fighting matchup. Enjoy!

Splinter-Seal
05-20-2003, 12:41 AM
:o Eh sorry to dig this back up, but I haven't been around in a while. I'm sure I'll say things that have already been said, but that's the beauty of forum life, heh.

Graphically this game could use some polishing IMO, sounds, ahh I love the sounds wondeful job they did on this. Where this game really shines is gameplay. You can pull off so much, so many cool moves, heck, half of them I just happened up on, and would think to myself "Dang that was cool! How'd I do that" Then try to do it again, heh.

I have beaten the game on normal using Ghost, I am currently playing back through it using Niobe, on hard, pretty dang tough I must say.

I cheated a bit and used some internet easies to get the sword, it's cool, but I like the hand to hand more, just alot more fun to me. Anyways, looks like we have a winner here! :D

MerimacHamwich
05-20-2003, 12:47 AM
Don't worry splinterseal. The thread isn't exactly old, just four days.

I am being tempted to use cheats now but I am refraining. I really want to do everything through the hacking portion of the game. I am just kinda stuck, can't figure out how to get the sword training program to work. I think I just need to be farther in the game.

Splinter-Seal
05-20-2003, 12:54 AM
Well, Merimac. I don't know for sure or not but I think you have to hack the sword training program into a save that has the game completed. If you have followed the steps to get acquire the sword, and it has all been accepted, then obviously I am wrong with my theory.

When I did get it all to accept I still had problems getting the sword to utilize, sometimes it would work when I pressed the "action" button (X) and sometimes I would have to press Y+B in unison. However in any case, the sword is only present when you are in battle, I was hoping for it to be strapped across the character's back or something, heh. Hope this helps.

JimmieDoogan
05-20-2003, 03:28 PM
I dig the randomness of what can happen. Such as killing a dood with bullets after having disarmed him, then jumpkickin his face off the wall before his falling body even hit's the floor. Devistating stuff, very much like the movies. The graphics are a bit of a let down. Especially on the PC. The PC lacks a great deal of detail the Xbox version has. My buddy bought it for PC and I got the Xbox version. It runs like crap on his monster PC and it doesn't even look half as good. Though the environments are not bump mapped, the Xbox version bump maps the Niobe and Ghost models. The PC version doesn't. I turned the grahpics ALL THE WAY UP in the PC version and it doesn't look HALF as good as the Xbox version (or even the GCN version which I saw at the store). I dig the multiplayer add in too. Dispite the fact that it's not well fleshed out, it's fleshed out enough to be very fun. My friends and I have been having hours of fun with it. For those of you that don't know about it, I won't spoil it for you. It's alot of fun for a movie game... it really is.

LynxFX
05-20-2003, 03:48 PM
I've been playing it at 1080i and it does look better. Not extremely better but there is a difference.

Overall, I'm liking the game so far. Some of the moves are just wild. Plus the parallel story with the movie is fun to watch unfold. Only played it one night so far but I give it a thumbs up. Playing as Niobe and I'll go through it again as Ghost.