PDA

View Full Version : Does the Xbox always output @ 480p?

05-17-2003, 10:46 AM
I was reading the OXM article on upgrading your video system, and it got me to wondering if you really need the advanced video packs to get the 480p output.

I have a standard TV with s-video support, but I want to make sure I'm getting all of the video goodies the XBOX will support. I was playing Enclave, and it's definetly in high res, but is it in 480p as well?

MerimacHamwich
05-17-2003, 01:45 PM
Well, seeing as LynxFX is at E3 Iw ill try and explain this to you. First lets look at what HDTV is.
Many people confuse HDTV with EDTV. 480i is a standard television resolution, it was what you will always have on your TV. 480p is what is called EDTV or Enhanced Definition Television. From what I understand this resolution can be applied on a regular television with the use of a S-Video cable (Super Video Cable). You cannot and will not get HDTV unless you have at least a HDTV ready television. However, if you only have an HDTV Ready television then you will need the source of the signal that you are watching to be outputting in HDTV, otherwise it is not HDTV. With a true HDTV you will always have an HDTV signal, if a source is broadcasting in non-hd signals then your TV will convert them. However, in order to get HDTV signals you have to have component video cables running from the source of the signal to your television (same as the HDTV ready television).
The Xbox can and will output its signals in EDTV and HDTV signals. However, to get the EDTV you have to use an S-Video cable (I think, I am not tottally sure). To get the HDTV signal you need to have an HDTV or HDTV ready television and use component cables. To use an S-Video cable you have inturn use the Advance A/V pack for the xbox. This allows you to use regular composite cables or an S-Video cable and an optical audio cable for DD5.1 audio. To use the component cables you have to use the HighDefinition A/V pack. This allows you to use component cables and an optical audio cable for DD5.1 audio.

So in short, the Xbox will not give you a 480p resolution unless you are using a S-Video cable.
Hope that helps. :)

Note: DD5.1 audio = Dolby Digital 5.1 Audio. A DD5.1 audio reciever and 5 speackers plus a subwoofer is required in order to produce this high quality audio.

05-18-2003, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the response. I am using the Interact s-video cable, but I wonder if the more expensive Advanced pack will give me better quality? My best guess is yes.

MerimacHamwich
05-18-2003, 02:43 PM
By the way, 1080i and 720p are the only true HDTV resolutions.

l Maximus l
05-18-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by 0101010
Thanks for the response. I am using the Interact s-video cable, but I wonder if the more expensive Advanced pack will give me better quality? My best guess is yes.

You won't likely see any difference...

Also, not all XBox games are formatted in 480p...The vast majority are, however, there are a few that are not...just a few, though. Like 5 or so :D

MerimacHamwich
05-18-2003, 04:05 PM
Look for EA on the box, that is a bad sign. They are the only company to have games that are not formatted to use 480p. So pathetic.