PDA

View Full Version : online capibility?!??!!

Select50
12-06-2001, 09:10 PM
browsing through other x-box forums.. i read that multiplayer rooms have already formed online and people are playing HALO against each other over the internet.. can anyone confirm.. and if so how do i get hooked up??

Frostberg
12-06-2001, 09:28 PM
Yep with gamespy arcade and gamespy tunnel. There are a pretty good number of people there...like 250 at all times...but considering its basically new, and you only need 3 other people anyway its great. It depends how your network is configured. No 56k internet connection. If you have a hub, just plug it into X and install software. If you have a USB dsl or cable modem like I do, you just need a crossover cable and plug it into mr. X and a NIC card. Umm What other conenctions are possible...if you have an ethernet modem and it plugs directly into your comp, get a router. If you dont have any of these, you will need to get em.

adamw19
12-06-2001, 10:34 PM
so to play online... alls you need is like a cable modem and attach a CAT 5 cable to the xbox then to the modem and then connect the line from the modem to the phone jack?

Frostberg
12-06-2001, 10:44 PM
well you cant plug the modem into the xbox, you have to use your pc for connection of the virtual LAN. So you need 2 network cards if your cable modem plugs into your pc by ethernet or if you have a router/switch that will work

adamw19
12-07-2001, 05:28 PM
Ok.. yes my cable modem connects through ethernet... but why do i need 2 ethernet cards to play online... and will i be using my computer monitor when playing online... or is there a special cord that i could get that would put it through to my TV?

Frostberg
12-07-2001, 07:04 PM
you are just using your computer card for the internet connection and the software to get onto a virtual lan. Because XBox only supports Xboxes connected via LANS, gamespys tunnel service will make a virtual lan for you and let you play with others. Now because the Xbox connects with ethernet, you need to plug it into your computer somehow. Because you dont have a network, you can wither buy a hub and 2 network cords or buy a NIC and a crossover cable

adamw19
12-07-2001, 07:14 PM
hmmmm... i'm still not so sure on what your talkin about virtual lan and stuff... and i still don't understand why i would need 2 ethernet cards.

Msterrrr
12-07-2001, 07:21 PM
adam heres my set up it works gr8

cable modem to/linksys hub/CAT5 to ethernet card from hub/CAT5 to xbox from hub/
halo plays through the tv,, go to mutiplayer system link after you download the gamespy tunnel

Deathwish
12-07-2001, 07:39 PM
If you already have a LAN for your PCs its just as simple as hooking your xbox up to it throught the ethernet port if not you need:

2 cat5 cables

1 hub

1 ethernet card for your PC

One of the cat5 cables goes from the Xbox to the hub then the other goes from the hub to your PC. You play on the TV while running the gamespy tunnel on your PC.

I personally have a couple of Belkin category 5e cables, a Showare ethernet card card, and 4 port 10/100 mb Net Gear Hub

adamw19
12-07-2001, 07:49 PM
Ok i'm kinda gettin this now... but is there any cords going to my cable modem? and also my TV is around 20 feet away from my computer so... is it possible to play on computer screen?

Frostberg
12-07-2001, 08:00 PM
you dont play on your computer screen

adamw19
12-07-2001, 08:02 PM
ya i know... but i was wondering if it's possible just for multiplayer cause my TV is 20 feet away from my computer therefore my cords wouldn't reach.... but theres a plugin right beside my computer where i could put my TV. :rolleyes:

Frostberg
12-07-2001, 08:20 PM
well you dont really need to be by your computer when you are playing halo...just walk over to a comfy chair when the game starts..in between games you can make sure everything is ok at the pc

Hugh_Jass
12-08-2001, 12:03 PM
You could just wait until the official Microsoft solution. I'm sure it will be much more user-friendly. The GameSpy technique is a hack not meant for people without a good grasp of networking.

Frostberg
12-08-2001, 12:53 PM
Jeez you cant wait til summer 2002 to play Halo online! But i hope MS makes it so for game like Halo they dont require so much upstream bandwidth to host.