PDA

View Full Version : All those people who want a VGA connector for Xbox, Look in here

WynnFire
12-07-2001, 02:11 AM
I just got an email from Lik Sang saying that on Dec. 20th an Xbox VGA Adapter for plugging the Xbox into a monitor is coming out. Don't believe me?

Click Here:

http://www.lik-sang.com/catalog/product_info.php?category=53&products_id=1533&

VGA Box for the XBox console announced today
[ ] Thu Dec 6 2001 07:29:32 Hong Kong Time - XBox

Redant, the maker of the PlayStation2 and Gamecube VGA box confirmed that they are also working on an Xbox compatible version . Functionality (and price) will be similar or even the same as the PS2/GC counterparts. We were told that the product is ready shortly before or after Christmas depending on their production schedule. Preorders will be taken shortly, make sure to subscribe to our online product alert to receive an email notification about further news. Pictures of the item will also be updated shortly since no shots of this version are available so far.

Bostown
12-08-2001, 09:48 AM
Any idea if Microsoft or one of its licensees are planning on releasing a VGA adapter?

I think that this could be the best thing for the Xbox. Particularly for those of us who are PC gamers. I am planning on buying a separate Monitor , desk set up for the x-box if there are titles that will fully utilize the VGA functionality. Add a keyboard and mouse and you have a exclusive Xbox gaming that brings the best of the console and PC worlds together.

Hugh_Jass
12-08-2001, 12:16 PM
I seriously doubt that Microsoft will release a VGA adapter for the same reason that they won't release a keyboard or mouse. They want you to think of the XBOX as a console and not a PC. Adding keyboard, mouse, and monitor support would be completely counter to that line of thinking.

In fact, they may go after anyone else that attempt to produce these types of products for the XBOX. The Microsoft legal team wields formidable power.

LynxFX
12-08-2001, 04:55 PM
I do hope that they release a mouse and keyboard though. FPS games are still harder, to me, with a controller. I get my butt spanked when I played Halo online. With the PC and mouse and keyboard it is me doing the spanking. :)

Hugh_Jass
12-08-2001, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx
I do hope that they release a mouse and keyboard though. FPS games are still harder, to me, with a controller. I get my butt spanked when I played Halo online. With the PC and mouse and keyboard it is me doing the spanking. :)

I think this is the closest thing to a keyboard/mouse that we're going to see on the XBOX. It hasn't been announced for the XBOX but I think it's only a matter of time.

http://www.microsoft.com/catalog/display.asp?subid=22&site=10516

freegoo
12-09-2001, 05:41 AM
I wouldn't be so sure about Microsoft not releasing a keyboard/mouse combo later. They want to make a big play for the Internet, and have hinted at adding set top features to the XBox down the road. Both of these (ESPECIALLY the Internet - try doing email with a joystick :) really need a keyboard to be even marginally useful.

Course I could be wrong - I usually am. :)

Hugh_Jass
12-09-2001, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by freegoo
I wouldn't be so sure about Microsoft not releasing a keyboard/mouse combo later. They want to make a big play for the Internet, and have hinted at adding set top features to the XBox down the road. Both of these (ESPECIALLY the Internet - try doing email with a joystick :) really need a keyboard to be even marginally useful.

Course I could be wrong - I usually am. :)

Microsoft already owns the client market. IE has 85% market share last I heard. It's probably even higher now. I think their Internet strategy now is largely focused on the server market and the .NET initiative.

As for their foray into the world of set top box I think it's more about convergence and less about the Internet as we know it. Don't think e-mail: think voice mail or video mail. Don't think web browsing: think interactive television and shopping tie-ins. I predict we'll see a smart card reader and some derivative of a barcode scanner. There will be no keyboard.

People just don't want to browse the web and read email on their televisions. Historical evidence includes: The Gateway Destination, WebTV, and SEGA Dreamcast.

I'm just speculating. I have no insider information. I still think I'm right. ;)