PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Galaxies console versions on hold

frog11983
05-23-2003, 03:22 AM
LucasArts confirms that the previously announced console versions of the Star Wars online RPG are currently on hold, as all development efforts are focused on the PC launch.

At E3 2002, LucasArts announced that it planned to release Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided, its highly anticipated online RPG set in the Star Wars universe, for the Xbox and PlayStation 2. However, mention of these versions was recently removed from the publisher's Web page on the game, and LucasArts has confirmed for us that these versions are currently on hold. In a brief statement, LucasArts said, "We are currently focusing all of our efforts on the successful launch of the PC version of Star Wars Galaxies."

The PC version of Star Wars Galaxies is currently in beta testing. LucasArts has not yet announced an official release date. For more details, check out our previous coverage of the game.

By Sam Parker, GameSpot [POSTED: 05/22/03 04:05 PM]

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/rpg/starwarsgalaxies/news_6028822.html

:(

Himji
05-23-2003, 05:26 AM
Personally I think MMORPG on console wouldn't work. You want an mmorpg, get a pc.

RudedogX
05-23-2003, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by Himji
Personally I think MMORPG on console wouldn't work. You want an mmorpg, get a pc.
So uh...what would you call Phantasy Star Online?:huh:

Himji
05-23-2003, 08:35 AM
PSO is a Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game.

I'm talking about MASS Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games.

RudedogX
05-23-2003, 08:42 AM
I was under the impression that it was a mass. I guess my definitions are screwed up today. Either way, the way I figure it..
they'll get all the kinks worked out in the PC and then they'll bring a polished version to the consoles! I think I can deal with that wait. And yes, I think a MMORPG will work on the console environment.

Himji
05-23-2003, 08:49 AM
I gotta admit, I'm no expert on PSO but from what I remember hearing, only 4 people can play in a map/area/environment at the same time thus it's far from Mass.

I can't see consoles working in a MMORPG soley because communications just sounds a nightmare. I can't see how it'd work in such a mass environment.

I know xbox has voice chat and that works a treat when you're talking to 10 odd people but can you imagine say 50 people in the same room? how are you going to stop drowning in chat? It's hard enough trying to read txt that scrolls up the screen but listening to 20 people who are talking at exactly the same time?

Also how do you chat to your buddy or a guy you met in a chatroom? Don't tell me dropdown lists, they won't work if you've got 2000+ people on a server.

It might be pssible and I'd really love to see how they work it :)

finally, you could use a mouse/keyboard combo but I don't keep my console on a desk that's where my pc goes which is why I said MMORPG's should stick to pc's

Kraft
05-23-2003, 08:54 AM
There are a few mmorpgs coming out that will work on a console just fine. True Fantasy Online was looking awesome at e3! All I can say is I'm glad EA isn't publishing galaxies or they would just cut developement.

Variation-XBA
05-23-2003, 03:30 PM

Been playing EQOA since release, works plenty fine and gets better.

SPARTAN VI
05-23-2003, 06:22 PM
I gotta admit, I'm no expert on PSO but from what I remember hearing, only 4 people can play in a map/area/environment at the same time thus it's far from Mass.

I can't see consoles working in a MMORPG soley because communications just sounds a nightmare. I can't see how it'd work in such a mass environment.

I know xbox has voice chat and that works a treat when you're talking to 10 odd people but can you imagine say 50 people in the same room? how are you going to stop drowning in chat? It's hard enough trying to read txt that scrolls up the screen but listening to 20 people who are talking at exactly the same time?

Also how do you chat to your buddy or a guy you met in a chatroom? Don't tell me dropdown lists, they won't work if you've got 2000+ people on a server.

It might be pssible and I'd really love to see how they work it :)

finally, you could use a mouse/keyboard combo but I don't keep my console on a desk that's where my pc goes which is why I said MMORPG's should stick to pc's

Yeah, communications would be a nightmare, if the developer is dumb enough to use the old methods. Think Anarchy Online, you can send a "tell" to an individual person and chat with him/her, one player to the other. You can also switch to different channels, or make your own personal one and have everyone you want to chat with go in there. If there are 2000+ people in a room, it might be a bit difficult, but you tell me- when was the last time you ran into 2000+ people in one room when playing an MMORPG? I was playin AO the other night, in the most popular bar on the planet, the most people I've ever seen would be around 30 players. They might implement filter options so you can only hear certain people. For example, people on your friends list, or people 2,3,4,5,etc.. feet way from you.

It might be a hassle and time consuming to navigate through menus to talk to certain people, but if you don't have time, then why're you playing an MMORPG anyway?

Kortiz
05-23-2003, 06:36 PM
from what i have heard, the people in the beta for PC are saying it well.......sucks.

SPARTAN VI
05-23-2003, 06:49 PM
Im not too big on opinions regarding PC games here, unless its comin from Merimac or Knight. I'll wait for PCGAMER to rate it, they know what games I do/don't like and rate it the way I would, too. :cheers:

Arrakis44
05-24-2003, 09:38 AM
To a certain extent i agree with Himji, in that i wouldnt buy an mmorpg on the Box, thats why i have a PC. I've always played mmorpgs on the pc, i've always enjoyed it, and well...... if it aint broke, dont fix it!